Sign in to follow this  
Baker Boy

Navy weighs having Marines hitch a ride on foreign warships

The Navy is weighing whether to have Marines hitch a ride on foreign warships, citing a shortage of U.S. vessels due to recent budget cuts -- raising bipartisan security concerns about the leverage this could give other countries.

A key concern is whether a warship host nation could deny Marines permission to come ashore.

"Ceding our amphibious ships to other countries -- it's almost silly and I can't believe it is even an option for the Navy," said Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., who served as a Marine in Iraq. "Now we are going to have to ask other countries, much less financially stable countries than America, to loan us their ships so that we can base our Marines on their ships. It's almost embarrassing."

The Navy currently has 30 amphibious transport ships to carry Marines, but estimates it would need 38 to cope with rising crises across North Africa. It won't reach that number until 2028 under current budget constraints.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/06/29/navy-weighs-having-marines-hitch-ride-on-foreign-warships/?intcmp=latestnews

Should the government raise it's budget to build these amphibious vehicles?

You didn't post your opinion.

I am against raising government spending, if the military wants these they should cut spending elsewhere. They shouldn't be blaming the military budget as being too small.

alternatively, we could eliminate the Marines entirely. And integrate them into the other armed forces. We haven't had a major amphibious landing since World War f****** two.

Marines always want their own equipment, there own s***, which creates a huge budget. And truth be told, the missions that they are accomplishing now, are not much different than anything the Army is doing.

last time I checked, Afghanistan doesn't have any f****** b******. And then the next major war, you sure as hell won't be landing ships on a beach. The days of Normandy are over.

Marines typically get old army equipment, they aren't as big of a budget suck as you'd think.

Marines typically get old army equipment, they aren't as big of a budget suck as you'd think.

Osprey? Littoral ships?

still, you know I defer to you on all matters military.

I just don't see another major amphibious landing in America's future. Not with flesh and bone at least. I have a buddy at DARPA say the same thing, and nothing I am mentioning isn't already in the public domain.

Shortage of ships? I bet we have more than anyone else.

Glass half-full, maybe we just have a surplus of Marines.

alternatively, we could eliminate the Marines entirely. And integrate them into the other armed forces. We haven't had a major amphibious landing since World War f****** two.

Marines always want their own equipment, there own s***, which creates a huge budget. And truth be told, the missions that they are accomplishing now, are not much different than anything the Army is doing.

last time I checked, Afghanistan doesn't have any f****** b******. And then the next major war, you sure as hell won't be landing ships on a beach. The days of Normandy are over.

The Marines weren't at Normandy. And didn't you see Aliens or Avatar?

Lol. And, youre right. my point being, that even in one of America's largest amphibious landing in the world, history, the Marines weren't involved. But they were designed specifically for that. What does it tell you about the Marines? They're pretty much only relevant in the Pacific in a very specific theatre.

Seems like another cheap option is to leave the marines at home where they belong in the first damn place.

Then who's going to scare the oposistion?

Or the beach invasion in Apocalypse Now

Opposition. Meaning gheys?

No, the bad guys throughout the globe. The Marines have been scaring them for hundreds of years. Who do you think gave Marines the nickname "devil dog" ?

No, the bad guys throughout the globe. The Marines have been scaring them for hundreds of years. Who do you think gave Marines the nickname "devil dog" ?

I thought that it was well known that it's a myth the Germans said that. it was a marketing and recruiting tool, nothing more and nothing less.

I think there is an opportunity here for an enterprising individual, corporation or nation. Conceptually renting a ship just for a needed deployment has some financial advantages at the cost of elevated risk.

Should the government raise it's budget to build these amphibious vehicles?

You didn't post your opinion.

I am against raising government spending, if the military wants these they should cut spending elsewhere. They shouldn't be blaming the military budget as being too small.

Our government always blames its problems on lack of money but that is a load of crap. The problems with the VA, IRS, etc were all blamed on budget cuts. The truth is that there is plenty of money, we spend over $4 Trillion a year just at the Federal level. The problem is corruption and waste. We spent almost a Billion dollars on software to run ObamaCare, doesn't anyone see the problem with this?

I would say over one third of our budget is consumed by corruption and waste and if you don't believe that you never worked for or with the government.

Our government always blames its problems on lack of money but that is a load of crap. The problems with the VA, IRS, etc were all blamed on budget cuts. The truth is that there is plenty of money, we spend over $4 Trillion a year just at the Federal level. The problem is corruption and waste. We spent almost a Billion dollars on software to run ObamaCare, doesn't anyone see the problem with this?

I would say over one third of our budget is consumed by corruption and waste and if you don't believe that you never worked for or with the government.

I have...and 1/3 is an extremely high and ignorant assessment.

But you are probably calling things waste or corruption if its for any program you just don't agree with. (if that is the case,its likely a low estimate because you don't like anything).

Thank you for posting your opinion. I agree spending is high enough. I also agree that a lot of money is wasted or lost to corruption.

I guess the Marines are SOL on this issue.

Then who's going to scare the oposistion?

Newbie of course. He can bench 400 pounds. :shocking: