Sign in to follow this  
naomi

Car shopping - UPDATE

Naomi:

Yaris

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/5523205040.html

Versa:

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/5516065944.html

Legacy: (Could be a great deal, older but very low miles and these go forever)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5536443835.html

2009 Outback wagon:(This would easily last 7 years)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5533293599.html

2008 Impreza ( could be a good deal if you can get 1000 knocked off the price)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5513959543.html

Add this one to the list:

It is under your 7500 budget, and will easily last another 7 years/75000 miles.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=94203&endYear=2014&showcaseOwnerId=574593&makeCode1=SUB&startYear=2001&firstRecord=0&maxMileage=75000&searchRadius=75&maxPrice=11000&mmt=[sUB[][]]&minPrice=7000&listingId=426215681&Log=0

Well the maximum contribution is $18k, so if you're contributing 6% and your employer is contributing 6% you'd need to be making $150,000 to max that out. And that's not even considering Roth or other add-on possibilities.

You may be that much of a high-roller but it doesn't seem Naomi is.

A lot of people contribute more than 6%. There is no rule that you have to limit your contributions to what your employer matches.

Extremely short-sighted thinking. The markets average about 7% return so yeah it's been down lately but it'll go back up. By your logic we should all be holding off on contributions to our 401ks right now since return is minimal at the moment.

And that's before we even discuss compound interest. You're treating it like a one-year deal when in reality we're talking probably five years over the life of the car loan and potentially decades over the life of the alternative investment.

Yeesh, for an avid free market guy you don't seem to understand how private investment works

Fair point but im fairly bearish over the next few years. If the real estate industry is any indication of the overall market we are looking at a tightening or retraction in the next few years. That and the current volatility isn't worth the risk for a couple bucks IMO to finance investments

A lot of people contribute more than 6%. There is no rule that you have to limit your contributions to what your employer matches.

No kidding, that was my whole point. Are you having trouble following along? :(

401k and capital gains rates. A giant rip off that the working people in this country let happen. Suckers. Privatize SS is next, then the work will be complete.

Hasn't ever stopped you before. :)

:lol: :doh:

Ok, consider this scenario. You move to a new city and need both a car and a house. You have a certain amount of money to allocate for both. Let's say 300k. Your house loan is going to have an interest rate of 6% and you can get a car loan at 1.9%. Should you buy the car outright or put more money in to your downpayment on your house so you're not amortizing the cost of your car over 15/30 years at 6% instead of 4/5 years at 1.9%?

I understand the math. Of course you pay the higher interest loan preferentially. And a savvy investor will do best leveraging low interest debt in favor of higher returns on investments.

But that isn't my argument.

Well the maximum contribution is $18k, so if you're contributing 6% and your employer is contributing 6% you'd need to be making $150,000 to max that out. And that's not even considering Roth or other add-on possibilities.

You may be that much of a high-roller but it doesn't seem Naomi is.

:wave:

For what little my opinion matters, I'm fine with the Subarus. Very quality cars for the most part :thumbsup:

I doubt that Naomi likes the style of any of them, tho.

I understand the math. Of course you pay the higher interest loan preferentially. And a savvy investor will do best leveraging low interest debt in favor of higher returns on investments.

But that isn't my argument.

Your argument is that people are too stupid to take advantage of low interest rate auto loans. There are plenty of circumstances where that simply isn't true and I just showed you one. You should back off your argument. It may apply to some but it certainly doesn't apply to "most".

Naomi:

Yaris

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/5523205040.html

Versa:

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/5516065944.html

Legacy: (Could be a great deal, older but very low miles and these go forever)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5536443835.html

2009 Outback wagon:(This would easily last 7 years)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5533293599.html

2008 Impreza ( could be a good deal if you can get 1000 knocked off the price)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5513959543.html

The bay area is a little too far to drive for a test drive, but I have noticed some tempting listings going further out. It seems like there's a good amount of sellers who came to the area for college, with a car probably from mom and dad, and then never really drove it, so the mileage is surprisingly low.

The Yaris is just hard to tolerate style wise, but ultimately I'll go with quality and value over pleases me aesthetically...so not writing them off. Will have to do research.

The Legacy would be a very pragmatic choice. Could be worth the haul out.

Subaru Wagon...hmm.

That 2004 (separately linked) Subaru is just going back a little too far.

Thank you for the links!

Good for you, doc! Do you understand this thread is about naomi? :)

Fair enough. I vote for something like a used ~2010 Honda Fit, purchased from a private owner. Check Kelly Blue Book and Carfax first. And bring a guy with her when she is negotiating the price.

Better yet, do some combination of cycling, ride share and public transportation until she has settled into her job and has saved up the bulk of whatever vehicle she chooses.

Your argument is that people are too stupid to take advantage of low interest rate auto loans. There are plenty of circumstances where that simply isn't true and I just showed you one. You should back off your argument. It may apply to some but it certainly doesn't apply to "most".

My argument isn't that people are stupid; rather, I think they are undisciplined with $ and our consumerist society promotes excessive debt. IMO that applies to most people.

My argument isn't that people are stupid; rather, I think they are undisciplined with $ and our consumerist society promotes excessive debt. IMO that applies to most people.

Except you're specifically singling out those who can afford to buy their car outright. I may be drunk but it seems to me that people who have the CASH to buy a car outright are by definition the OPPOSITE of undisciplined. Do you have a link to a study of people who can afford to buy cars by cash being undisciplined with their money?

Except you're specifically singling out those who can afford to buy their car outright. I may be drunk but it seems to me that people who have the CASH to buy a car outright are by definition the OPPOSITE of undisciplined. Do you have a link to a study of people who can afford to buy cars by cash being undisciplined with their money?

Almost everybody has the cash to buy some vehicle outright, or can save to do so. But our society doesn't value this approach; we focus on affording monthly payments now rather than the total cost of the vehicle, which promotes spending more than you otherwise would. This holds true even for those who earn enough to buy new cars with cash, with the added ruse that not taking out a loan is a poor investment. And ability to earn $ <> discipline to spend/save it.

I have no study to support my OPINION, though the massive amount of consumer debt in this country certainly hints that we may be spending a bit more than we can collectively afford. I'm sure a percentage of that is appropriately leveraged debt, but I suspect most isn't.

The bay area is a little too far to drive for a test drive, but I have noticed some tempting listings going further out. It seems like there's a good amount of sellers who came to the area for college, with a car probably from mom and dad, and then never really drove it, so the mileage is surprisingly low.

The Yaris is just hard to tolerate style wise, but ultimately I'll go with quality and value over pleases me aesthetically...so not writing them off. Will have to do research.

The Legacy would be a very pragmatic choice. Could be worth the haul out.

Subaru Wagon...hmm.

That 2004 (separately linked) Subaru is just going back a little too far.

Thank you for the links!

Highlanders are extremely reliable:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=94203&endYear=2014&vehicleStyleCodes=SUVCROSS&showcaseOwnerId=572604&startYear=2005&firstRecord=0&maxMileage=100000&searchRadius=100&maxPrice=12000&showcaseListingId=414585400&minPrice=7000&listingId=426972203&Log=0

I do not know much about rogues, but it might be a vehicle you like:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=94203&endYear=2014&vehicleStyleCodes=SUVCROSS&sortBy=mileageASC&showcaseOwnerId=572604&startYear=2005&firstRecord=0&maxMileage=100000&searchRadius=100&maxPrice=12000&showcaseListingId=414585400&minPrice=7000&listingId=425590740&Log=0

Highlanders are extremely reliable

I don't know, the second one was kinda lame.

Highlander >>>>> Rougue

Nissan has some pretty focked up interesting ideas about how they incorporate their CAN lines between the ECU (PCM) through their IDPM (Intelligence Power Distribution Module)

I'm dealing with a no crank issue right now on a 2007 Titan 5.6

Not fun :(

Just sayin

The Highlander seems kind of nice. I hadn't been considering SUVs at all. Your links are expanding my horizon :cheers: I'm looking for 50K and under miles preferably, maybe more if it's a vehicle with a great reputation.

Consumer Reports Best Overall Brand: Audi

Worst: Fiat

Best Roadtest Score Mainstream Brand: Subaru

Best American Overall Brand :bandana: : Buick

Best Reliability Mainstream Brand: Toyota

The Highlander seems kind of nice. I hadn't been considering SUVs at all. Your links are expanding my horizon :cheers: I'm looking for 50K and under miles preferably, maybe more if it's a vehicle with a great reputation.

The bolded is why Consumer Reports is not a reliable source.

The bolded is why Consumer Reports is not a reliable source.

Well I know you're not busy eating pizza right now, so explain...

:P

Well I know you're not busy eating pizza right now, so explain...

:P

I'm not eating pizza..my neighbors are

I'm not eating pizza..my neighbors are

Yes...that was the point :(

Let me help Sux out here.......Audi is made by VW and no German car manufacturer is more reliable than any Japanese auto manufacturer.

Let me help Sux out here.......Audi is made by VW and no German car manufacturer is more reliable than any Japanese auto manufacturer.

And I'll help out Strike: Even if the reliability of a German brand approaches that of a Japanese one, the repair costs will be much higher. If you're planning on keeping a vehicle for a while you'll eventually need to fix it, so the total cost of ownership will always be higher for the European brands.

Do not worry about mileage. A Subaru with 70,000 miles will last longer than a vw or Chevy with 0 miles.

If you get an Audi and it needs repairs, you're looking at a grand in most cases.

I would highly recommend a Honda or Toyota. Not only more reliable with cheaper repairs, their parts are all over. You'll never wait more than a day to get something fixed.

Other rides, you often have to wait for parts to get shipped, which isn't cheap in itself.

Quit bringing up stoopid shizz and just listen to Sux.

Almost everybody has the cash to buy some vehicle outright, or can save to do so. But our society doesn't value this approach; we focus on affording monthly payments now rather than the total cost of the vehicle, which promotes spending more than you otherwise would. This holds true even for those who earn enough to buy new cars with cash, with the added ruse that not taking out a loan is a poor investment. And ability to earn $ <> discipline to spend/save it.

I have no study to support my OPINION, though the massive amount of consumer debt in this country certainly hints that we may be spending a bit more than we can collectively afford. I'm sure a percentage of that is appropriately leveraged debt, but I suspect most isn't.

Banks and lenders rely on the undisciplined and uneducated masses for their existence.

One of the reasons I use credit sparingly is because I can't stand the notion of giving more money to the banking industry.

When I do use personal credit, it's through a credit union.

Biz credit is a little different. I've managed not to take on any biz debt in the first 4 yrs of the company's existence and plan to keep it that way.

Almost nobody will lend to a small biz unless it's personally guaranteed anyway, and I'm not doing that.

We have supplier payables with net 30 terms, but those are at 0% interest. It helps short term cash flow but doesn't add actual debt to the books.

Went to a few lots today.

A potential barring good critical feedback:

2005 Honda CRV 5-Speed Automatic 4WD 2.4L L4 DOHC 16V with 125K (or 105, can't remember) miles. 27 MPG highway. 22 city. Asking 10.

A guy at a different dealership owns a 1999 Honda CRV that is his pure practicality vehicle. He bought it with 150K already on it, and he's put 35K more on it and not had any issues yet and he admits to neglecting maintenance. (We had that conversation before I thought to check out the 2005 CRV at another place).

eta: just starting to price compare online...1 year newer, less miles on it, and lower asking price. https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/5541402514.html

Also kinda liked:

• Make: Subaru
  • Model: Outback
  • Year: 2005
  • Trim Level: 2.5i Wagon
  • Body Style: WAGON 4-DR
  • Manufactured In: UNITED STATES
  • Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic
  • MPG Hwy: 28
  • MPG City: 22 - 23
  • Dealer Invoice: $22,567
  • MSRP: $24,445
  • Engine Type: 2.5L H4 SOHC 16V
  • Driveline: AWD
  • Ground Clearance: 8.40
  • Front Brake Type: Disc
  • Rear Brake Type: Disc
  • Anti-Brake System: 4-Wheel ABS

90 something thousand miles on it. Asking 10.

As someone already said, just get a Honda or Toyota. Can't go wrong with these two and it's not expensive to fix.

Banks and lenders rely on the undisciplined and uneducated masses for their existence.

One of the reasons I use credit sparingly is because I can't stand the notion of giving more money to the banking industry.

When I do use personal credit, it's through a credit union.

Biz credit is a little different. I've managed not to take on any biz debt in the first 4 yrs of the company's existence and plan to keep it that way.

Almost nobody will lend to a small biz unless it's personally guaranteed anyway, and I'm not doing that.

We have supplier payables with net 30 terms, but those are at 0% interest. It helps short term cash flow but doesn't add actual debt to the books.

Nice to see someone hasn't bought the financing BS hook, line and sinker. We need to stop feeding the beast, or stop complaining when it devours us.

Also kinda liked:

• Make: Subaru
  • Model: Outback
  • Year: 2005
  • Trim Level: 2.5i Wagon
  • Body Style: WAGON 4-DR
  • Manufactured In: UNITED STATES
  • Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic
  • MPG Hwy: 28
  • MPG City: 22 - 23
  • Dealer Invoice: $22,567
  • MSRP: $24,445
  • Engine Type: 2.5L H4 SOHC 16V
  • Driveline: AWD
  • Ground Clearance: 8.40
  • Front Brake Type: Disc
  • Rear Brake Type: Disc
  • Anti-Brake System: 4-Wheel ABS

90 something thousand miles on it. Asking 10.

I'd ask for a few more inches of ground clearance.

As someone already said, just get a Honda or Toyota. Can't go wrong with these two and it's not expensive to fix.

Subarus have a lot of life in them so I'm considering them too. But yeah, those posts are not lost on me. I'm posting models and makes with their years as Sux is up for weighing in that way, and maybe there are geeks with some firsthand knowledge, or want to critique different facets.

Subarus have a lot of life in them so I'm considering them too. But yeah, those posts are not lost on me. I'm posting models and makes with their years as Sux is up for weighing in that way, and maybe there are geeks with some firsthand knowledge, or want to critique different facets.

I have a 2006 Subaru with ~55K miles. I had to replace one of the emissions valves, which was several hundred dollars, but otherwise have had no problems.

Personally I would be reluctant to purchase a used vehicle with 100K+ miles on it, preferring an older car with less miles. But both chronologic age and wear-and-tear factor into the potential for something breaking.

My 04 Rav 4 has 85K on it. Nothing has been replaced. Just tune up and oil change. One cousin has a 02 Corolla with 300K on it. Nothing major done on it either, just kept up with routine maintenance.

The problem with used is you don't know how rough the owners before drove it and if they kept up with maintenance. That's why I got mine new and it's in top shape because I knew I wanted it for the long haul. While my dad was up here for a year he found a great car with 100K miles on it. One old lady owner. Still has it as one of his side cars. You can get low mileage but how was it driven? With a dealership, it's hard to tell.

I had a Subaru. Get rid of it after 9 months. Not for me, plus I hate their commercials and I its the preferred car of the granola douche.