Sign in to follow this  
Portis26

Moss On Pace to Set Franchise Records

The Santana Moss-for-Laveranues Coles trade last March was greeted with skepticism in some parts. Coles, after all, was coming off a 2004 season in which he logged 90 receptions for the Redskins, the third-highest total in team history. Meantime, Moss logged 45 catches last year for the New York Jets.

Flash forward to 2005 and Moss is on pace for several team records himself. He could surpass and even shatter some team marks set by the some of the Redskins' greatest players.

Perhaps the most notable record is most yards gained in a season. Moss leads the NFL with 743 receiving yards.

Bobby Mitchell holds the team record with 1,436 yards in the 1963 season. Moss is on pace for 1,981 yards this season, which would not only shatter the Redskins' record books but also break Jerry Rice's NFL record of 1,848 yards set in 1995.

Certainly it's far too soon to suggest Moss has a chance at breaking the all-time record, but the team record would appear to be a possibility.

Moss is also on pace for 101 receptions, which would be second most all-time in franchise history, behind only Art Monk's 106 catches in 1984.

Moss has four 100-yard receiving games so far this season. The franchise record for one season is seven set by Mitchell in 1962.

Finally, Moss has a chance to set a team record in this Sunday's game against the New York Giants. If he logs another 100-yard receiving game at the Meadowlands, it will be his fourth time he will have done so in as many games. That would break Monk's team record of three consecutive 100-yard receiving games, set in the 1985 season.

In many ways, the numbers that Moss has already put up are astonishing.

Not to Moss, though.

"I am thankful for the season I'm having, but I'm not the kind of guy who's going to get overconfident," Moss said. "When you put the effort out, it comes. I have always been a true believer in that. I've always worked hard and now you're seeing it all come together."

Said head coach Joe Gibbs: "For a smaller receiver, Santana has fantastic down-the-field reaction to the ball. When he hits the ground with it, I don't think there are many people who are faster. He's a guy with great hands and he has a great ability to snatch the ball.

"I would throw the ball to him down there no matter what because he has a chance at getting the ball every time. He is just better with the ball in flight than most people are."

If Moss keeps it up, he could be among the very best in franchise history.

Won't happen. Teams are gonna have to put the clamps on him. He'll draw too many double teams if he continues on this pace.

He'll still have an awesome year, but he'll get cooled off.

Won't happen. Teams are gonna have to put the clamps on him. He'll draw too many double teams if he continues on this pace.

He has been doubled, and tripled, the past 3 weeks. Are you even watching the games? :sleep:

He has been doubled, and tripled, the past 3 weeks. Are you even watching the games? :sleep:

Yeah, and I could get doubled by the SF Defense and still put up 100 yd w/ a TD...so what...he's a flash in the pan. New Old Brunnell will become Old Old Brunell at some point and Moss will return to being "the really fast guy who never gets the ball".

Sorry, but it's just not possible. Santana Moss does not have the talent or opportunity or testicles to beat Jerry Rice's single season records. I don't care if he's left uncovered all season (he was against the niners), he won't touch Rice's record.

He has been doubled, and tripled, the past 3 weeks. Are you even watching the games? :mad:

Yeah, and I could get doubled by the SF Defense and still put up 100 yd w/ a TD...so what...he's a flash in the pan. New Old Brunnell will become Old Old Brunell at some point and Moss will return to being "the really fast guy who never gets the ball".

Oh, I did not realize Moss played SF for the past three weeks straight. Seriously, we need an IQ requirement for this site.

Sorry, but it's just not possible. Santana Moss does not have the talent or opportunity or testicles to beat Jerry Rice's single season records. I don't care if he's left uncovered all season (he was against the niners), he won't touch Rice's record.

Moss leads the NFL with 743 receiving yards.

Sorry, but it's just not possible.  Santana Moss does not have the talent or opportunity or testicles to beat Jerry Rice's single season records.  I don't care if he's left uncovered all season (he was against the niners), he won't touch Rice's record.

Rice is the greatest receiver of all time. Santana Moss is Santana Moss. Sorry, you lose.

He has been doubled, and tripled, the past 3 weeks. Are you even watching the games? :mad:

Oh, I did not realize Moss played SF for the past three weeks straight. Seriously, we need an IQ requirement for this site.

Ok, dumass, let's clarify the IQ requirements then shall we: In the last 3 weeks, Mr. Moss has faced Denver (26th against the pass), Kansas City (29th against the pass) and San Fran (dead fockin last against the pass). So, before you go comparing him to the greatest receiver ever and believe everything you read, perhaps you should remove your head from your arse and think things over.

Moss is the Steel of the Draft.... I got him in the 11th round :banana:

Best Play... WR Screen play to Moss = :D

As a Skins fan, I would love to see it. Realistically, all it takes is 1 bad game to take him out of contention.

Sorry, but it's just not possible.  Santana Moss does not have the talent or opportunity or testicles to beat Jerry Rice's single season records.  I don't care if he's left uncovered all season (he was against the niners), he won't touch Rice's record.

Rice is the greatest receiver of all time. Santana Moss is Santana Moss. Sorry, you lose.

Nobody said anything different - JUST that Moss is on PACE to break his record.

He and Steve Smith are really changing the way teams look at small, fast receivers. Steve has him on toughness and Moss has Steve in raw speed, but they both show alot of desire and hard work! .........not to mention guts!!! :D

I readily admit, I was one of the posters here who thought that the Jets got over on the Skins with the trade. I think Coles is extremely talented, and could also be putting up numbers like this, if brunell were throwing the the ball the way he is throwing it this year as opposed to the revolving door in Jets land.

The NFL moves in a cyclic fashion when it comes to the desirable WR. Back in the 80's, the small, fast WR was popular. Guys like Mark Duper, Mike Clayton, Irving Fryar and Steve Largent (ok, he wasn't fast, but he was small) ruled the scene. Then you started to see the switch to bigger WR as corners became smaller and faster to cover the receivers. Now corners are getting bigger again and slower, so we have the switch back to the small fast WR.

Of course, freaks like TO and Randy Moss are outside of this rule. But you can see that the Santana's and SSmiths, not to mention Holts of the world are outdoing the bigger WR this year. Could be trending towards smaller faster WR who run sharp routes and get good YAC.

Well your Portis 2000 yards 20 TD thing won't pan out, so why not throw something else out there that WILL NOT happen. One would think you wouldn't make any more predictions after that one. :headbanger:

Well your Portis 2000 yards 20 TD thing won't pan out, so why not throw something else out there that WILL NOT happen. One would think you wouldn't make any more predictions after that one. :headbanger:

I never predicted Moss breaking Rice record, just indicating he is on pace to do so.

He has been doubled, and tripled, the past 3 weeks. Are you even watching the games? :headbanger:

Ok, dumass, let's clarify the IQ requirements then shall we: In the last 3 weeks, Mr. Moss has faced Denver (26th against the pass), Kansas City (29th against the pass) and San Fran (dead fockin last against the pass). So, before you go comparing him to the greatest receiver ever and believe everything you read, perhaps you should remove your head from your arse and think things over.

Please show me where I specifically compared him to the greatest WR ever and I will take back my comment that you should be forced to take an IQ test before ever posting again on this board.

I submit to all FF brethren to watch and wait for your response.

steve smiths having a better year.

:huh:

Pretty close

Santana

38 catches

743 yards

19.6 ypc

5 TDs

Smith

39 catches

596 yards

15.3 ypc

7 TDs

you know its a messed up year in fantasy football when the #1 WR is a guy named Moss and hes not wearing purple and gold OR silver and black... :bench:

The NFL moves in a cyclic fashion when it comes to the desirable WR. Back in the 80's, the small, fast WR was popular. Guys like Mark Duper, Mike Clayton, Irving Fryar and Steve Largent (ok, he wasn't fast, but he was small) ruled the scene. Then you started to see the switch to bigger WR as corners became smaller and faster to cover the receivers. Now corners are getting bigger again and slower, so we have the switch back to the small fast WR.

Of course, freaks like TO and Randy Moss are outside of this rule. But you can see that the Santana's and SSmiths, not to mention Holts of the world are outdoing the bigger WR this year. Could be trending towards smaller faster WR who run sharp routes and get good YAC.

and the Lions just drafted Charles Rogers, Roy Williams and Mike Williams...friggin great

The NFL moves in a cyclic fashion when it comes to the desirable WR.  Back in the 80's, the small, fast WR was popular.  Guys like Mark Duper, Mike Clayton, Irving Fryar and Steve Largent (ok, he wasn't fast, but he was small) ruled the scene.  Then you started to see the switch to bigger WR as corners became smaller and faster to cover the receivers.  Now corners are getting bigger again and slower, so we have the switch back to the small fast WR.

Of course, freaks like TO and Randy Moss are outside of this rule.  But you can see that the Santana's and SSmiths, not to mention Holts of the world are outdoing the bigger WR this year.  Could be trending towards smaller faster WR who run sharp routes and get good YAC.

and the Lions just drafted Charles Rogers, Roy Williams and Mike Williams...friggin great

dont worry, they can get derek hagan or calvin johnson next year! :bench:

He has been doubled, and tripled, the past 3 weeks. Are you even watching the games? :shocking:

Yeah, I have, and I'm still saying it won't happen.

He will not keep this pace.

He will still have an awesome year.

But he will cool off.

Moss is not Rice.

That said, I find it amusing that people so conveniently forget Moss' season two years ago. The guy is legit, and if the coaching staff has found a way to play to his talents, then there is no reason to believe he can't finish in the 90-100 reception range, with 1200-1400 yards and 10-14 TDs. That would put him in some pretty heady company.

For those of you still doubting him, at what point do you give in and acknowledge that he's a pretty darn good WR? Let me guess, the first bad game he has, you'll be on here with the "I told you so" posts, right?

Moss is not Rice.

That said, I find it amusing that people so conveniently forget Moss' season two years ago. The guy is legit, and if the coaching staff has found a way to play to his talents, then there is no reason to believe he can't finish in the 90-100 reception range, with 1200-1400 yards and 10-14 TDs. That would put him in some pretty heady company.

For those of you still doubting him, at what point do you give in and acknowledge that he's a pretty darn good WR? Let me guess, the first bad game he has, you'll be on here with the "I told you so" posts, right?

I agree completely. Those numbers are very doable for him this year.

He has been doubled, and tripled, the past 3 weeks. Are you even watching the games? :blink:

Please show me where I specifically compared him to the greatest WR ever and I will take back my comment that you should be forced to take an IQ test before ever posting again on this board.

Mr. DaPile: On the same theme, please show me where I said that Santana had played the San Fran defense for the last three weeks and I'll gladly take whatever test you want to lay out in front of me. If you would like to nit-pick the details and have a battle of wits over every word in every post, well then, feel free. Unfortunately, I don't have quite as much time on my hands as you do apparently. :huh:

Moss is the only spark of offense that skins team has. Yes he is having a good year so far but I do not see him breaking any record.

He has been doubled, and tripled, the past 3 weeks. Are you even watching the games? :o

Mr. DaPile: On the same theme, please show me where I said that Santana had played the San Fran defense for the last three weeks and I'll gladly take whatever test you want to lay out in front of me. If you would like to nit-pick the details and have a battle of wits over every word in every post, well then, feel free. Unfortunately, I don't have quite as much time on my hands as you do apparently. :(

jgcrawfish: Case closed. You must submit to an IQ test.

I hope all here can clearly see, and remember, this shining moment of yours. Any FF cred you had was just forfeit.

portis, no since arguing with these knuckleheads ....i read your past and you never said he would break the record, but he was on pace to do so....but just how they are responding you can tell that they dont have him on thier roster...and i bet he someone scorched thier azzez playing against him..lol got to love it..i have santana and steve smith, so the whos better topic is meaningless to me, both are 1 and 2 in fantasy leagues...

The fact is Brunell is throwing to Moss even when double and triple teamed. Patten is wide open in the middle,he goes to moss deep. They are not that great of passses,but Moss is making the plays. If this keeps up he can break the record. Mark has no reason not to go to moss. Their D will keep them in it and they will take their shots. Is he as good as rice,well not even close. But its working and teams are having a hard time defending it because just like us THEY CANT BELIEVE IT. Its for real. :ph34r:

portis, no since arguing with these knuckleheads ....i read your past and you never said he would break the record, but he was on pace to do so....but just how they are responding you can tell that they dont have him on thier roster...and i bet he someone scorched thier azzez playing against him..lol got to love it..i have santana and steve smith, so the whos better topic is meaningless to me, both are 1 and 2 in fantasy leagues...

I have both as well. One guy in the league continues needling me because I couldn't possibly have predicted Moss' season this year. My response - Umm ... that's why I drafted him. I was predicting a repeat of his season two years ago; looks like I might get even better :doublethumbsup:

I traded Bulger and D. Bennett for CPepp and Smoss 2 weeks ago and made a $100 bet as to who would average the most cumulative fantasy pts per week. Looks like I'll win the 100 and I now have a good chance at the championship. Oh yea, the trade was with my DAD, who has won the reg. season the past 2 years. Sorry dad, not this year. He's so bitter.

Santana Moss will go down in history as not only the greatest WR but the greatest football player ever.

:thumbsup:

Hair of the Dog baby

The fact is Brunell is throwing to Moss even when double and triple teamed. Patten is wide open in the middle,he goes to moss deep. They are not that great of passses,but Moss is making the plays. If this keeps up he can break the record. Mark has no reason not to go to moss. Their D will keep them in it and they will take their shots.  Is he as good as rice,well not even close. But its working and teams are having a hard time defending it because just like us THEY CANT BELIEVE IT. Its for real. :ph34r:

actually, brunell has been on fire lately...i'm not saying moss hasn't helped him but you're wrong if you think it's all santana. if you would have watched the games most all brunell's td passes have been right on the money.

HTH

I have seen all the games. Both have palyed well. Im just saying He is not hitting Moss in full stride. Meaning it can get better. Both are making plays. I dont see anyway of stopping it unless you flush Brunell out of the pocket,and even then he has Cooley and patten to dump it off to. I like what i see.

I think that anytime one compares a WR to Rice or says someone is on pace (granted only half way through) to break one of his records, it is going to elicit a fair amount of defensive responses. As football fans, Jerry Rice is held in such high regard due to his intelligence on and off the field, work ethic, skill etc. Jerry is the anti-NBA football player. He's the anti-thug. No one wants to hear that a player out there nowadays (anyone, not just Moss) is "on pace" to break his record. The all-time yardage and all-time receptions records are more impressive IMO anyway just b/c no one else is even close to him on either of those.

Personally, I give Santana Moss a 5% chance of breaking the single season yardage record. The closest anyone has EVAH come since the merger was Harrison in '02 at 1722....This just in: Brunell is no Manning and Moss is no Harrison. I'd say the 1400-1500 yard mark is reasonable.

Oh, and the above point about the respective defensive ratings against the pass the last 3 weeks should not be so easily discounted. That sure as hell plays a big role in productivity for a WR. Both Moss and Brunell will settle down considerably soon, though maybe not this week against the G-men and their sorry a$$ pass D.

Guest Loose Circuits

I think Moss is the ultimate sell high candidate, no way he keeps up that pace.

I think Moss is the ultimate sell high candidate, no way he keeps up that pace.

based on what?