Sign in to follow this  
ggroovy17

Could Julius Jones lose his job?

Sounds like Parcells really likes Barber and high ankle sprains take a long time to heal. I wouldn't be suprised if Jones missed even more significant time past the bye week.

Guest Loose Circuits
Nah, I think that's just wishful thinking for MBIII owners. :thumbsup:

also the reason Barber doubters didn't pick him up, one person is going to be :thumbsup: about the outcome and the other's are going to be :headbanger: and :banana:

I am one of the people that didn't pick Barber up..

Julius has earned the right to start after carrying a big load down the stretch last year. he's way ahead of barber in pass protection, and isn't fumbling the way the rookie is right now. i think it'd take another series of future injuries before Parcells would consider that. Barber's role will continue to be to spell Julius, and come in on third downs -- he's a good receiver.

If Jones can't go after the bye week and Barber plays well tomorrow and the game after the bye (if Jones can't go) then I'd begin to think Barber has a chance of stealing 10-15 carries a game and possibly taking the starting job.

Right now though, I think Jones has the starting job after the bye week.

I'd begin to think Barber has a chance of stealing 10-15 carries a game and possibly taking the starting job.

:o :(

You all are acting like Barber had 150 and 3 TDs last game. J. Jones has proven himself and proven he can be a workhorse. I am a Barber owner and playing him this week, but J. Jones will have his job back after the bye. Let's try not to get too carried away on the Barber excitement.

You all are acting like Barber had 150 and 3 TDs last game. J. Jones has proven himself and proven he can be a workhorse. I am a Barber owner and playing him this week, but J. Jones will have his job back after the bye. Let's try not to get too carried away on the Barber excitement.

I think one thing that is very fair to say is Parcells is not big on guys who can't be on the field. His first two seasons Jones has not stayed on the field. He obviously is very good but if he can't be counted on, who knows what Parcells will do.

Exactly, Barber has just as much talent as Jones and durability is a huge issue with Parcells. That is why he loved having Curtis Martin on the Pats and then getting him for the Jets. If Jones can't show he is durable enough and Barber produces tomorrow, then i'd have to say Jones may lose his starting job.

There is one thing Parcells hates more than a player not being durable and that is turnovers. If Barber keeps putting the ball on the ground, he will quickly see the bench.

wait a second here. forget about how good of a back juluis is. he's a great back no doubt.

but let's not forget, he has a high ankle sprain that's kept him outa games. simply put, marion barber is a great substitute! nothing complicated about the situation.

wait a second here. forget about how good of a back juluis is. he's a great back no doubt.

but let's not forget, he has a high ankle sprain that's kept him outa games. simply put, marion barber is a great substitute! nothing complicated about the situation.

High ankle sprain or broken collar bone, he still missed half of last season and now 2 going on 3 games this one.

Also last season he carried it a ton the second half, but really only had 3 great games. The other 5 were pretty average at best with the amount of carries. And this season his 5 games were not stellar by any stretch, no 100 yard games and scoreless 3 out of 5. I am not going to disagree that he is very good but calling him great at this point is a stretch in my opinion.

Last season: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/492974/gamelogs/2004

This season: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/492974/gamelogs/2005

Exactly, Barber has just as much talent as Jones and durability is a huge issue with Parcells. That is why he loved having Curtis Martin on the Pats and then getting him for the Jets. If Jones can't show he is durable enough and Barber produces tomorrow, then i'd have to say Jones may lose his starting job.

i'm not arguing the point regarding durability and the need to prove yourself as a dependable back who plays through pain, but saying that Barber is equally as talented is stretching it. there's a reason he was a fourth round draft pick. he's pretty good between the tackles and is a good receiver, but he doesn't have the acceleration or explosiveness as Julius does. Julius is a gamebreaker, and you don't write off a talent like that unless he goes down again later this year, and perhaps again next year. Julius' performances this year have been subpar for his talent, but its the runblocking of the line that's been a little disappointing; Allen is no longer his old self, and Rivera has been a bit disappointing. Don't be too eager to put the fragile fred label on Julius just yet.

Exactly, Barber has just as much talent as Jones and durability is a huge issue with Parcells.  That is why he loved having Curtis Martin on the Pats and then getting him for the Jets.  If Jones can't show he is durable enough and Barber produces tomorrow, then i'd have to say Jones may lose his starting job.

i'm not arguing the point regarding durability and the need to prove yourself as a dependable back who plays through pain, but saying that Barber is equally as talented is stretching it. there's a reason he was a fourth round draft pick. he's pretty good between the tackles and is a good receiver, but he doesn't have the acceleration or explosiveness as Julius does. Julius is a gamebreaker, and you don't write off a talent like that unless he goes down again later this year, and perhaps again next year. Julius' performances this year have been subpar for his talent, but its the runblocking of the line that's been a little disappointing; Allen is no longer his old self, and Rivera has been a bit disappointing. Don't be too eager to put the fragile fred label on Julius just yet.

Jones won't lose the job on talent. He will however lose it is he can't stay on the field.

Exactly, Barber has just as much talent as Jones and durability is a huge issue with Parcells.  That is why he loved having Curtis Martin on the Pats and then getting him for the Jets.   If Jones can't show he is durable enough and Barber produces tomorrow, then i'd have to say Jones may lose his starting job.

Jones won't lose the job on talent. He will however lose it is he can't stay on the field.

good god, talk about pure speculation. the only place rumors like this could fly is in the fantasy world.....lol. another football (non fantasy ) point is how well Jones fits into Parcells' Curtis Martin mold in the running game. C-Mart turned into a great back based on two main runs in the playbook: the draw play, and the sprint-draw. those plays are based on the ability of a back to accelerate, slash, and then make something happen once he breaks clear of the line. Julius is three times the back when it comes to this attribute of straight line speed, so Parcells isn't going to just write that off. besides, everyone knows one of parcells' famed motivational ploys is to needle his players into playing better by his biting comments to the media: e.g. re: T. Glenn "this is the time of year you usually run out of gas, right?" there's no doubt durability is a concern, but i don't think parcells is stupid enough to let a back who performed like Julius did the second half of last year just ride the pine in favor of a rookie role player. what a bunch of fluff. :P

Exactly, Barber has just as much talent as Jones and durability is a huge issue with Parcells.  That is why he loved having Curtis Martin on the Pats and then getting him for the Jets.  If Jones can't show he is durable enough and Barber produces tomorrow, then i'd have to say Jones may lose his starting job.

I'm sorry if you own Jones and are depending on him to carry your team, but now you're blaming the offensive line? WRONG!!! You mean the same offensive line that has brought Drew Bledsoe back from the dead and have allowed the Cowboys backups to be more successful than with Jones in the lineup. Curtis Martin was a 6th round draft pick so saying Barber was not picked in the first two rounds has no significance.

Curtis Martin was a 6th round draft pick so saying Barber was not picked in the first two rounds has no significance.

Martin was a 3rd...

Exactly, Barber has just as much talent as Jones and durability is a huge issue with Parcells.  That is why he loved having Curtis Martin on the Pats and then getting him for the Jets.   If Jones can't show he is durable enough and Barber produces tomorrow, then i'd have to say Jones may lose his starting job.

good god, talk about pure speculation. the only place rumors like this could fly is in the fantasy world.....lol. another football (non fantasy ) point is how well Jones fits into Parcells' Curtis Martin mold in the running game. C-Mart turned into a great back based on two main runs in the playbook: the draw play, and the sprint-draw. those plays are based on the ability of a back to accelerate, slash, and then make something happen once he breaks clear of the line. Julius is three times the back when it comes to this attribute of straight line speed, so Parcells isn't going to just write that off. besides, everyone knows one of parcells' famed motivational ploys is to needle his players into playing better by his biting comments to the media: e.g. re: T. Glenn "this is the time of year you usually run out of gas, right?" there's no doubt durability is a concern, but i don't think parcells is stupid enough to let a back who performed like Julius did the second half of last year just ride the pine in favor of a rookie role player. what a bunch of fluff. :P

How helpful to winning games is a running back who can only play 8 games a season? I said Jones isn't losing his job to talent. If he can only play 8 games a season like last season and the road he is going down this season, it may be another issue because footballwise that is not doing anything for your team. Speaking for me I posted absolutely nowhere that Barber is more talented than Jones so I'm not sure what you picked up on from me.

Curtis Martin was a 6th round draft pick so saying Barber was not picked in the first two rounds has no significance.

Martin was a 3rd...

Julius Jones was a 2, Marion Barber was a 4, Terrell Davis was a 6, Priest was undrafted-that makes no difference in this argument.

Martin was a 3rd...

Julius Jones was a 2, Marion Barber was a 4, Terrell Davis was a 6, Priest was undrafted-that makes no difference in this argument.

Not saying it does, but if you're going to give out information at least get it right.

I'm sorry if you own Jones and are depending on him to carry your team, but now you're blaming the offensive line? WRONG!!! You mean the same offensive line that has brought Drew Bledsoe back from the dead and have allowed the Cowboys backups to be more successful than with Jones in the lineup. Curtis Martin was a 6th round draft pick so saying Barber was not picked in the first two rounds has no significance.

julius has absolutely no bearing on my fantasy prospects. i don't own him in either of my two leagues. but i am a dallas fan that has wathced every cowboy game this year and last. you don't just write off the production jones had last year because of an ankle injury. the very nature of the injury is to reoccur if you don't give it time, and the only reason jones isn't out there gutting it out is because they can afford to let him heal with the depth on their team. if jones had only one viable backup, i'd venture to guess he'd be out there, and no one can determine how he would play through pain unless the situation was forced upon him.

regarding the run blocking, my point was spot on. Allen isn't what he used to be,

Rivera has been disappointing so far, Petiti is a rookie, and Parcells is considering using Gurode more at center because Al Johnson is a light-weight and often gets pushed around. there's a huge difference between pass blocking and run blocking. besides, i don't need to make excuses for Jones when his performances this year have been respectable considering he's faced decent run defenses and they've all game-planned to stop him: 93/ td v. SD, 81 v. Wash, 85/ 2td v. SF, 76 v. oak, 72 v. philly. Other than SF, all the rest of the Ds are in the top half of the league in run defense, so Julius was doing fine, "in spite" of the age of the o-line.

believe me, barber was drafted as a jack of all trades, backup / third down back/ special teams guy with a little upside in case Jones didnt' pan out. but the cowboys aren't going to dismiss a guy they passed on S. Jackson for. parcells knows what he has in Jones -- he's not going to the pine again unless he has a "series" of continuing injuries this year and next.

fin

wait a second here.  forget about how good of a back juluis is.  he's a great back no doubt. 

but let's not forget, he has a high ankle sprain that's kept him outa games.  simply put, marion barber is a great substitute!  nothing complicated about the situation.

High ankle sprain or broken collar bone, he still missed half of last season and now 2 going on 3 games this one.

Also last season he carried it a ton the second half, but really only had 3 great games. The other 5 were pretty average at best with the amount of carries. And this season his 5 games were not stellar by any stretch, no 100 yard games and scoreless 3 out of 5. I am not going to disagree that he is very good but calling him great at this point is a stretch in my opinion.

Last season: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/492974/gamelogs/2004

This season: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/492974/gamelogs/2005

my bad. i was using "great" a bit liberally. I agree with you on your assessment of Julius and the reason why he was on my DON"T DRAFT list.

Two things need to happen for Barber to take his job:

1.) Barber starts putting up big numbers (like the 3 big games Jones had last year).

2.) Jones can't make it back after the bye.

If those two things happen Jones isn't getting his job back.

but the cowboys aren't going to dismiss a guy they passed on S. Jackson for. parcells knows what he has in Jones -- he's not going to the pine again unless he has a "series" of continuing injuries this year and next.

I'd say the odds of the injuries continuing are better than him just all of the sudden becoming a durable RB. This guy's problems date back to college...

I think it's very possible that MBIII could take the job. He seems to have a nose for the goal line.

So after this last Sunday is JJ in danger of loosing his job now?

I saw an interview with Parcells once, he said that you can lose your job due to an injury. Everyone's job is always up for grabs, every game, every down. If you can't play, he's sorry, but that is life. If you know Parcells at all that would seem to be the way he thinks. A halftime guy had a quote from Parcells alluding that Jones being out and Barber producing is making Barber the man, can't remember exactly how it went. I don't have a link, so take my past record of me shootin straight, that is what I heard. Barber was impressive. Best case scenario for Jones owners is RBBC in my opinion. hth

Very least Barber become the GL back !

Worst nightmare for JJ owners ! Juluis showed alot of promise too ! Barber III IMO is just a better fit for Parcells ! Itg could become a mess

I've posted this on other threads and I'll say it again: don't sleep on MB3. He would of led the NCAA in rushing the last 2 years and been a top 20 pick if not for the emergence of Maroney. He is a more talented back then Julius Jones. Look at their college careers.

I've posted this on other threads and I'll say it again: don't sleep on MB3. He would of led the NCAA in rushing the last 2 years and been a top 20 pick if not for the emergence of Maroney. He is a more talented back then Julius Jones. Look at their college careers.

i agree :doublethumbsup: :shocking: :banana:

JJ= :D

JJ owners = :lol:

MB3 = :o

Mel Kiper = :lol:

I don't think so, if JJ is healthy and ready to go - it's him. Barber looked good and Tuna definately is growing more fond of him - he's the Richie Anderson type back he cherishes. But let's not get crazy just yet - he did tear up the stinking Cardinals, Philly is going to be a whole different animal.

I think there's a real chance that the job could be Barber's now. Pure speculation on my part of course.

Two things need to happen for Barber to take his job:

1.) Barber starts putting up big numbers (like the 3 big games Jones had last year).

2.) Jones can't make it back after the bye.

If those two things happen Jones isn't getting his job back.

I'd say 127 rushing and 2 TDs is a good start...