Sign in to follow this  
yostevo

What Mistakes Do The Lions Make Next?

#1 mistake going into the season is to allow Joey Harrington to remain the starter. Martz has said that a QB's most important attribute is accuracy. Well then why in the hell would they want Joey as their #1??? :pointstosky: He can make some pretty good throws at times to thread the needle but then he cant' hit a wide open receiver in stride to save his life.

They have Kitna & McCown scheduled for visits. I'm not sure either would be a suitable replacement but I'd be leaning towards McCown out of the two. Griese might also be a nice alternative because he's always been a fairly accurate passer but then again he hasn't been a lockerroom favorite.

Sign Az Hakim, I mean Randle El, to huge bucks. :pointstosky:

:vomit:

The only thing I want to see them do with the WR's is to trade CRog to Denver, KC, or SD and then sign a veteran receiver to be a #3/#4 type.

ETA----They signed Corey Bradford as a vet #3/#4. He can stretch defenses and they will need that in a Martz run offense.

If Kitna still has in him what he showed in Cincy a few years ago, i think he could be a very viable QB option. He's not the big name guy that everyone stands up and cheers for when they sign him, but he does get the job done...

But in my opinion, it still won't matter who they have at QB if their O line plays like they did last season. It was horrid.

I'm one of the few nutjobs that is holding onto KJ hoping that he can bounce back to the form he had at the end of his rookie season. I think Martz has a good chance of turning that offense around in a hurry. I think he was a fair head coach, but as an O coordinator he is an incredible talent. Get Roy healthy, get MWilliams one year better, and then bring in another quality WR to replace CRog and they could have something going this year.... (yes, blind hope and faith like every year).

I really am a Bears fan, but since the Lions share the same division, I will chime in.

I have seen some draft projections showing the Lions taking V Davis (TE) with their first round pick. He won't last til the Chicago pick, so I really am not wishing him for Chicago. For god's sake, Millen, draft some defense. Let the TE position go. You can survive there with Pollard or whomever. Grab some help on the other side of the ball.

I really am a Bears fan, but since the Lions share the same division, I will chime in.

I have seen some draft projections showing the Lions taking V Davis (TE) with their first round pick. He won't last til the Chicago pick, so I really am not wishing him for Chicago. For god's sake, Millen, draft some defense. Let the TE position go. You can survive there with Pollard or whomever. Grab some help on the other side of the ball.

Bears fan here too, and I think they should address the O-Line as well. They don't need another receiving option in the first round.

....... Grab some help on the other side of the ball.

I disagree...The Lions need help on the offensive side of the ball. I agree with SmartassBoiler that the O-line shoudl be addressed.

Last year, the Lions O was ranked 27th and the D was ranked 17th. I bet the D would have moved up 4-6 spots if the offense could convert a few first downs late the game. I saw too many games that the D had to go back on field too quickly because the O went 3 and out.

They let Kalimba Edwards walk. Not a good move IMO.

I haven't seen him sign anywhere else, could there be a chance he stays? Maybe they have someone else they want to develop behind Hall?

Oline is and has been their biggest weakness along with qb. Pollard, RW and MW are fine. The defence is decent, but not great. They could use upgrades all around, but there is no glaring weakness. Franchising an overage player like Backus is puzzling. They need a good tackle more than anything.

I'm one of the few nutjobs that is holding onto KJ hoping that he can bounce back to the form he had at the end of his rookie season. I think Martz has a good chance of turning that offense around in a hurry. I think he was a fair head coach, but as an O coordinator he is an incredible talent. Get Roy healthy, get MWilliams one year better, and then bring in another quality WR to replace CRog and they could have something going this year.... (yes, blind hope and faith like every year).

I don't like KJ next season. He can't catch and can't pass block. Bryson is a much better fit for Martz's offense and should see a lot of time.

Same mistake they have been making for years. Keep a GM whose only self proclaimed qualification for keeping his job is that he played for Joe P 20+ years ago.

As a Pack fan, I hope the Lay-Downs keep him for years.

I don't like KJ next season. He can't catch and can't pass block. Bryson is a much better fit for Martz's offense and should see a lot of time.

Love him or hate him at least it was entertaining. I think he provided good insight (although seriously biased) but he couldn't help but to get into flame wars that eventually started destroying his credibility.

ETA--This was in reference to Swamp Dog. I can't get used to the quote button being the bottom of the post :o

Franchising an overage player like Backus is puzzling. They need a good tackle more than anything.

KFFL.com wrote:

Lions | Team has more time to sign Backus

Fri, 10 Mar 2006 05:01:28 -0800

Nicholas J. Cotsonika, of the Detroit Free Press, reports Detroit Lions' chief operating officer Tom Lewand said the team now has until July 15 to reach a long-term deal with OL Jeff Backus

First of all, he hasn't signed this deal yet. He'd be crazy not to but it's not done yet. The Lions could still be watching the potential FA's and pull the tag on him. It wouldn't look good in the lockerroom but it's business and the players do the same thing. The Lions got pushed into a corner with this deal. Backus is not a pro bowl type but he's about average or slightly better than average when healthy (high ankle sprain last year) and to lose him would have been taking two steps back with the depth at his position in FA. It's disappointing, but circumstances could have been made worse I think. Hopefully they can structure his contract to avoid major cap hits by making this a longer deal.

Shaffer is worse than backus and he signed reportedly a 6 yr/36 mill deal with the Browns, Lions had NO choice but to franchise him

Shaffer is worse than backus and he signed reportedly a 6 yr/36 mill deal with the Browns, Lions had NO choice but to franchise him

Exactly, there aren't better tackles just floating around. Backus is above average and you can't lose him. The Lions have focus on putting some better players at LG and RT.

Vernon Davis' name keeps popping up for various teams...AZ, DET and I've suggested that the Niners might look at him at 6th overall (or deal down a couple picks and take him)...

I'm not sure he falls far enough for the Lions. I think getting an OL is key to Harrington's/DET's success.

But then, I'm in the minority that believes if his WRs hadn't dropped half his passes and KJones had stayed reasonable healthy that Harrington would have been better in 2005, and that if he gets a decent O-Line to protect him that he could be a fairly solid QB.

Most think he sucks - I think he's in a bad situation. I've seen him make good touch passes, his pocket presence is decent and he's got above average arm strength. In another situation I think he could have developed into a decent player by now.

So I don't think keeping him is that that bad a move. Certainly not when compared to what's out there.

the lions will trade their pick to the dolphins for david boston

and miami's pick where they will take santonio holmes.

i am one of the few people that actually thinks joey harrington can play in this league. he has had a terrible line, not much of a running game and overrated wrs that dog it in practice and in the games. not to mention a rancid defense. he has had all the chips against him. he needs a new scene and i think he can still succeed in this league B)

i am one of the few people that actually thinks joey harrington can play in this league. he has had a terrible line, not much of a running game and overrated wrs that dog it in practice and in the games. not to mention a rancid defense. he has had all the chips against him. he needs a new scene and i think he can still succeed in this league B)

I absolutely agree that the chips have been stacked against him from the get go. Two things really bother me though that he can control. He can't make some of the easy throws. Too often he throws the ball at the feet of receivers or he can't hit the receiver in stride which allows them to gain some YAK. The other thing is that he's not much of a playmaker himself. He's too slow of foot to get out of the pocket and make plays from broken plays. Rolling out, scrambling or simply showing some escababilty that even the immobile QBs can do. It's not his fortay and it hurts the team. How in the world 300 pound linemen chase him down from behind is beyond me but it happens all the time. :wall:

Let's go to the draft. Detroit is on the clock than the annoucement that Detroit has selected WR Chad Jackson from the University of Florida. :sleep:

wow, what cutting-edge humor--and so original, too!

as to the thread:

the lions have to prove it on the field, otherwise they will continue to take the lazy cheap shots from every human on the planet. so until they do that, it's all moot.

i could bash my head against the wall over this perceived mistake or that one...but the truth is martz knows a heck of a lot more about nfl offenses and qbs than i do. whomever he wants as qb is fine by me. he's earned the right to be trusted in that arena.

Guest Mr.T

This seems to be the wrong off season to be ripping the Lions for terrible decisions. The coaches they've hired look like good moves and they haven't yet made any big mistakes in FA. Of course there's always the draft to goof but so far not bad.

This seems to be the wrong off season to be ripping the Lions for terrible decisions. The coaches they've hired look like good moves and they haven't yet made any big mistakes in FA. Of course there's always the draft to goof but so far not bad.

:sleep:

Give it time. Millen will find a way. <_< :mad:

In all honesty, I think they did exactly what they needed to do as far as the coaching ranks are concerned. They needed a respected disciplinarian who won't treat these egos like egg shells but more like a bull in a china shop. They have that in Marinelli. They also need some offensive creativity to play up to the supposed offensive mismatches we should have with these big receivers. You'll get that with Martz. On defense they finally have an attack first mentality with Henderson. So all in all, I'm real excited there.

Some big tests await though in FA and in the draft.

Guest stevejohnson

Martz may be able to make Harrington into a serviceable QB! The kid has talent and he knows that this is his last chance to be a starter in the NFL. Joey H. will be a nice sleeper that shoudl be available late in the draft because so many people are down on him. 20 TDs is a real possibility....not bad for a 2nd QB!

wow, what cutting-edge humor--and so original, too!

as to the thread:

the lions have to prove it on the field, otherwise they will continue to take the lazy cheap shots from every human on the planet. so until they do that, it's all moot.

i could bash my head against the wall over this perceived mistake or that one...but the truth is martz knows a heck of a lot more about nfl offenses and qbs than i do. whomever he wants as qb is fine by me. he's earned the right to be trusted in that arena.

Okay that was just a joke. In all honesty I don't think they have drafted that bad. What they did was grab some of the top receivers and a good running back in the last couple of years. Now that they have them try to build around them with a good solid offense line. Last year two of my surprise teams were Detroit and Arizona which I said each should win 10 games or more I may have been off a year. :first:

And for the next mistake, we'll sign Jon Kitna instead of going after a good QB.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...PDATE/603140434

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions reportedly have reached agreement today on a contract with quarterback Jon Kitna, according to sources close to Kitna and the Cincinnati Bengals' management.

Kitna, 33, has played nine NFL season, the last four for Cincinnati. He was replaced by Carson Palmer as the starting quarterback in 2004.

Kitna was one of two quarterbacks to visit the Lions in recent days. Josh McCown, a free agent from Arizona, met with Lions management Sunday and Monday.

There was no comment from the Lions management, and no terms of the contract were immediately available.

I don't like this move. Personally, I'd rather have McCown than Kitna. I thought they might wait to see what happens with Brees and NO and maybe go after the horribly inconsistent Aaron Brooks if he gets axed. I'd really like to see Volek on the Lions.

And for the next mistake, we'll sign Jon Kitna instead of going after a good QB.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...PDATE/603140434

I don't like this move. Personally, I'd rather have McCown than Kitna. I thought they might wait to see what happens with Brees and NO and maybe go after the horribly inconsistent Aaron Brooks if he gets axed. I'd really like to see Volek on the Lions.

I would have rather had McCown as well but I'm just glad they made a significant move to challenge Joey. It's going to be an all out brawl in training camp if Joey hangs onto the roster that long. There's radio speculation that they might add McCown and cut Joey and let those two battle it out in training camp. :ninja:

Lets see...

- 30 year old WR to lead the young WRs 2 years too late ***check

- even older career backup QB to challenge the QB we shouldnt have kept ***check

- re-sign a gimpy return man who cant play reciever, lose a solid CB ***check

I'm pretty sure all thats left is to sign a slow, fat DE who cant rush, then draft a 5'8" CB or another WR as the 'best player on the board' and we're ready for '06!

Whoa - a Swamp Dog sighting....is it the real Swampy though...that is the question. :ninja:

check my numbers under my sig. it is i.