Sign in to follow this  
hoffdaddy

Packers interested in Charles Woodson

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=410455

Meanwhile, the Packers are among at least three teams expressing an interest in Oakland Raiders cornerback Charles Woodson. His agent, Carl Poston, said he was trying to schedule Woodson for a visit to Green Bay next week. He was to visit Tampa Bay today and probably Seattle over the weekend.

Woodson, 29, suffered a broken leg in Week 6 and spent the rest of the season on injured reserve. He has started 103 of 106 games since joining the Raiders as the fourth pick in the 1998 draft, and has 17 interceptions. Last June, Pro Football Weekly ranked Woodson as the ninth-best cornerback in the National Football League.

Sounds good to me. I like Woodson and I'd love to see him heal his game in Green Bay. Methinks just getting away from Al Davis would help. Much like it helped Marcus Allen.

Im so so on this one. Would be nice to at least get some depth at corner...move Carroll to a nickle back for now...

Get it done Ted.

Exactly...though I hear Seattle and Tampa are interested...

Ted better throw some $$$ at him...that is the only way we would win that battle.

Someone should switch Woodson to safety. He's on hell of a tackler and has decent size for a safety.

Someone should switch Woodson to safety. He's on hell of a tackler and has decent size for a safety.

I agree...

I would like to get him as a packer fan....we need depth in the 2ndary, with the crazy injuries we are getting...

I just dont want to over pay him...

Guest Black Label Society
Im so so on this one. Would be nice to at least get some depth at corner...move Carroll to a nickle back for now...

You should move that sieve to the focking bench or off the team. He sucks.

Moss made him powdered toast with a gimpy ankle........on a regular basis.

I agree...

I would like to get him as a packer fan....we need depth in the 2ndary, with the crazy injuries we are getting...

I just dont want to over pay him...

I think someone is going to have to overpay to sign him because many still view him as a big name, top shelf CB whether he is anymore or not.

I think someone is going to have to overpay to sign him because many still view him as a big name, top shelf CB whether he is anymore or not.

my thoughts exactly, allthough he would make the packs secondary better. They should have went after williams, allen or madison instead and get carroll off the feild.

Sounds good to me. I like Woodson and I'd love to see him heal his game in Green Bay. Methinks just getting away from Al Davis would help. Much like it helped Marcus Allen.

Big difference...

Allen = HOF'er

Woodson = Hall of Shamer

Allen = Had wheels and tread left

Woodson = two bad legs w/metal pins/plates

Allen = Good work ethic and character

Woodson = lazy thug

None of this is attributed to Uncle Al......

You should move that sieve to the focking bench or off the team. He sucks.

He's...um...improving :banana:

Isn't he represented by the infamous Poston brothers? If so, no chance getting him at a good price.

Big difference...

Allen = HOF'er

Woodson = Hall of Shamer

Allen = Had wheels and tread left

Woodson = two bad legs w/metal pins/plates

Allen = Good work ethic and character

Woodson = lazy thug

None of this is attributed to Uncle Al......

Sounds like you know better than I. I kinda like Al Davis, but he treated Marcus like yesterday's garbage and that will always bother me. I haven't kept up Woodson's injury and attitude. But he's gotta be better than Ahmad Carroll.

Probably not the best way to keep him healthy though?

Sounds like you know better than I. I kinda like Al Davis, but he treated Marcus like yesterday's garbage and that will always bother me. I haven't kept up Woodson's injury and attitude. But he's gotta be better than Ahmad Carroll.

I agree about Allen, but lets not forget that in that day and age hold outs and contract disputes were handled differently. Back then it was the exception to the rule that a contract would be restructured or worked out prior to a current one being over. Now its the opposite and hold outs are common. Al did mess that one up, but Allen played a role too.

Woodson broke his leg the SB year, had a pin and plate. Not sure if they are still in there or not. He has had some shoulder injuries, arm and he broke a leg last year, not sure which one it was. Add to that hammy issues etc... Ever since that original leg break, he has been very fragile.

Here are his stats..

Woodson Stats

His first few years were really nice, since then production has dropped, injuries have reduced his role and his coverage has been terrible. He has shown his former self in spot games, either this is due to his not being able to play at that level consistantly, or its a mental thing were he clearly got up for certain games and not others. The telling stat is pass defenses and INTs.

He's had off field problems, drunk driving arrests and other 'things' that seem to plague players these days as well.

I would actually put him and Carroll on even par with each other.

Sure you don't mean Rod?? ;)

He is a good tackler when he gets ahold of someone, problem is he over commits and arm/shoulder tackles a lot. A saftey not only has WRs or TE's to take down, but RB's as well. Woodson is too fragile to do that on a consistant basis.

His first few years were really nice, since then production has dropped, injuries have reduced his role and his coverage has been terrible. The telling stat is pass defenses and INTs.

He's had off field problems, drunk driving arrests and other 'things' that seem to plague players these days as well.

Wow. The stats have really dropped off. ;)

I'm still interested, but certainly wouldn't be the big-impact signing I was orignally hoping for the Packers.

Thanks, Dave.

Wow. The stats have really dropped off. ;)

I'm still interested, but certainly wouldn't be the big-impact signing I was orignally hoping for the Packers.

Thanks, Dave.

No problemo.. he would be a good sign so long as the expectations are not too high. The talent is there, but is the body capable, or the mind... that is the big factor.

woodson is probaly a top 5 most overrated players in football right now. believe me, he's not worth the moneys he's gonna be asking for

He's not anymore likely to aggravate his turf toe at safety than he is at corner. At safety I could see more risk of an upper-body injury but that's not where he's had problems. :mad:

woodson is probaly a top 5 most overrated players in football right now.

:) Huh? Name one person in the media who has spoken glowingly of Woodson in the last two years?

He's not anymore likely to aggravate his turf toe at safety than he is at corner. At safety I could see more risk of an upper-body injury but that's not where he's had problems. :mad:

:) Huh? Name one person in the media who has spoken glowingly of Woodson in the last two years?

media? not talking about that. just look at his paycheck in comparision to his accomplishments for the last few years. definetely overrated

What is this talk about signing Woodson and putting him in at safety? Didn't we just sign Manuel to play one safety position, and we still have Collins at the other one who showed great promise last year as only a rookie. I think we need to go after a cornerback who can be left alone on the outside one on one like Harris can. I think Woodson has all the athletic ability, he just hasn't shown that great of results on the field as expected coming out of college.

media? not talking about that. just look at his paycheck in comparision to his accomplishments for the last few years. definetely overrated

I don't think it makes any sense to evaluate what players you think are overrated based on their paycheck. The first year Woodson was franchised he made a lot of money but the Raiders were hoping to sign him long term and hoping he'd return to prime form. The second time they were intending to trade him and were hoping he wouldn't sign the tender offer, but he did sign it, which is why they let him go this time around. The fact that he isn't signed yet and you don't hear his name mentioned much among the hot free agents tells you just how he is actually rated.

Charles Woodson doesnt appear to be the kind of player Green Bay would seem to be looking to bring in. Titletown is a nice peaceful little town with players who for the most part the fans LOVE. Will anyone in Green Bay be loving Woodson? Im not seeing it.

Ya never know... maybe the old dog can show the young dogs a few new tricks, and improve the whole secondary.

This ole dawg is overrated! Raiders should have let me go last year and save themselves $10 mil!

Ya never know... maybe the old dog can show the young dogs a few new tricks, and improve the whole secondary.

You could say this if the player was a demonstrated team leader.. like Harrison or Rod Woodson, some guy like that. However, Charles has always displayed the fact that he is out for himself and his paycheck. This wasn't always the case. The way he came back the year of the SB and played on that leg means he can be fired up, but I also think that particular sign of guts was more related to the fact he was coming up on FA than anything else.

Maybe he still has that fire and he was just sick and tired of playing in Oakland... that could explain a lot except the tender signing...

Remember that it was him and Charlie Gardner who came out after the superbowl and caused all the internal issues not related to the 'bi-polar wannabe jewel theif' that fateful January/Feb in SD.

In all likelihood, you may see him sign in Tampa.... Gruden always liked him and if he thinks he can get some miles out of him he may just pull the trigger, but for less money than he wants.

You could say this if the player was a demonstrated team leader.. like Harrison or Rod Woodson, some guy like that. However, Charles has always displayed the fact that he is out for himself and his paycheck. This wasn't always the case. The way he came back the year of the SB and played on that leg means he can be fired up, but I also think that particular sign of guts was more related to the fact he was coming up on FA than anything else.

Maybe he still has that fire and he was just sick and tired of playing in Oakland... that could explain a lot except the tender signing...

Remember that it was him and Charlie Gardner who came out after the superbowl and caused all the internal issues not related to the 'bi-polar wannabe jewel theif' that fateful January/Feb in SD.

In all likelihood, you may see him sign in Tampa.... Gruden always liked him and if he thinks he can get some miles out of him he may just pull the trigger, but for less money than he wants.

Ok, my bad. I must have been thinking Rod Woodson. Apparently I still get those two confused (not sure how).

Woodsen is still a great player when healthy. He's one of the best tacklers in the league out of the corner position, and still looks pretty good in coverage, IMO. It's easy to get excited about a Harris/Woodsen duo at corner. It would likely be the most physical corner duo in the league, similar to Madison and Surtain when they were together in Miami.

However, Woodsen has serious medical issues, and he's no spring chicken. This contract would have to be carefully constructed as not to be significantly painful if Woodsen continues to struggle health-wise.

One of the most overrated and overpaid players in the league right up there with Warren Sapp.

The problem with so many of those tackles is they are of the guy he is covering! Part of what

makes him so overrated isn't just his paycheck, it's that people and the media actually refer to

him as a 'shutdown corner' lol

this is from a post I made on 8-11-2005

7 years

357 tackles

63 passes defended

16ints. :wall:

here is how he did in 2004 against the competition.

hines ward 7-99

eric moulds 2-41 1td

schroeder 4-126 1td

andre johnson 6-115 1td (10 tackles 4pass def )

marvin harrison 3-44

rod smith 1-24 (wow two good weeks in a row, of course the raiders were down big early in both.)

joe horn 9-123

mccardell 4-55 1td (brees 5tds overall)

muhummad 8-94

mccardell 7-91

rod smith 2-99 1td

eddie kinneson 8-149 1td (his best game, 12 tackles 1int lol)

atlanta: not sure who to list here, Atl rushed for 230yds and 4tds.

hrm that's over 1000 yards and 6tds in 12 games, many of which they were losing big and the opponent ran

the ball in the 2nd half. In case you want to suggest he 'shut down' the other side of the field...I have some

bad news, those guys tore up the Raiders too. lol

It's funny how the games where he gets a lot of tackles are also the ones where he gives up a lot of completions. :thumbsup:

One of the most overrated and overpaid players in the league right up there with Warren Sapp.

The problem with so many of those tackles is they are of the guy he is covering! Part of what

makes him so overrated isn't just his paycheck, it's that people and the media actually refer to

him as a 'shutdown corner' lol

this is from a post I made on 8-11-2005

7 years

357 tackles

63 passes defended

16ints. :lol:

here is how he did in 2004 against the competition.

hines ward 7-99

eric moulds 2-41 1td

schroeder 4-126 1td

andre johnson 6-115 1td (10 tackles 4pass def )

marvin harrison 3-44

rod smith 1-24 (wow two good weeks in a row, of course the raiders were down big early in both.)

joe horn 9-123

mccardell 4-55 1td (brees 5tds overall)

muhummad 8-94

mccardell 7-91

rod smith 2-99 1td

eddie kinneson 8-149 1td (his best game, 12 tackles 1int lol)

atlanta: not sure who to list here, Atl rushed for 230yds and 4tds.

hrm that's over 1000 yards and 6tds in 12 games, many of which they were losing big and the opponent ran

the ball in the 2nd half. In case you want to suggest he 'shut down' the other side of the field...I have some

bad news, those guys tore up the Raiders too. lol

It's funny how the games where he gets a lot of tackles are also the ones where he gives up a lot of completions. :lol:

Well...........he could be a nickel corner :huh:

I'm pretty disappointed to not see the Bears name involved in discussions with Woodson. With depth at CB a problem before Azumah retired and lots of questions at S (Mike Brown's health, why Mike Green continues to get a chance to start, etc.), Woodson is a perfect fit.

This would be a good signing for GB. The Woodson "overrated" talk is overrated. He is perceived to be overrated b/c he doesn't tally big INT numbers. As any intelligent football fan knows, that's what happens when you are the only good corner in a pourous defensive backfield with no pass rush. Why would a team frequently throw at that guy? Furthermore, he has been hampered by injuries the last few years, which have impacted his numbers. Using those numbers from last year are a poor study b/c he frequently was playing S or not on the best WR b/c he was playing hurt, so it's not an accurate portrayal to attribute all those stats to him.

I'm not really sure where opinions of his lack of dedication or questions about being a team player come from. Sure is a big talker and has held out for big money the last few years, but with his mounting injuries, he sees the end is near. Also, please point me to the player who is ever happy to constantly getting the franchise tag slapped on him year after year. Other than that, he has played through pain, come back early from injuries to play on teams with no chance in the playoffs, as far as I recall made no beef about having to play all over the Raiders defensive backfield b/c of their horrible approach to building and coaching a defense the last few years (ergo, he is no Alfonso Soriano), and, which even his detractors are not arguing, is the rare breed of CB not just willing, but able, to contribute as a tackler.

Paying him like he is the player he was 5 years ago would be a mistake, but he can still play and for the right price could be a tremendous bargain.