Sign in to follow this  
George Carlin

Peyton Manning's best chance at a Super Bowl was last year.

I'm not saying he'll never make it to one, or he'll never win one. You have to admit, the stars were aligned last year, home field advantage, et all. They/he blew it and they lost Edge.

Thoughts?

Defense is improving....I think the window of opportunity is still there, although they wouldn't be my pick as of now to win the AFC.

I'm not saying he'll never make it to one, or he'll never win one. You have to admit, the stars were aligned last year, home field advantage, et all. They/he blew it and they lost Edge.

Thoughts?

Disagree...I think Edge is a good back but not the difference maker he was before his spat with injuries...I think they kept the majority of the other players that were free agents and can make another run this year...Now that is only answering the question....if the question is will he ever win one....I dont think he will

the colts are the mavs in basketball and the new yankee team (post 2000 when they started buying all aging superstars). they are built for the regular season, but will never win in the post season.

Dungy's son didn't help matters, nor did the winning streak. Put to much media focus on the team and ruined their concentration. While I like Denver this year in the AFC, the Colts are still as good as anyone.

Peyton manning is what 4-9 in the playoffs. The guy is not a winner in tough games. Put pressure on him and rattle him enough and it is over. You must have a real good D but it is done often enough.

Superbowl for the Colts maybe when his era is over.

Peyton manning is what 4-9 in the playoffs. The guy is not a winner in tough games. Put pressure on him and rattle him enough and it is over. You must have a real good D but it is done often enough.

Superbowl for the Colts maybe when his era is over.

I think it's still too early for this label. Manning's probably got 5-6 good years left. We'll see how it all shakes out.

Disagree that last year was his best chance. Having nothing to play for the last few weeks and essentially having more than half a month of a bye was a bad thing for the Colts. And I don't think they will miss Edge that much if at all. The defense is young and they continue to work on it. The receiving corps is still intact. They'll have another chance at least as good as this one was.

Peyton manning is what 4-9 in the playoffs. The guy is not a winner in tough games.

I disagree with your conclusion. First of all, he doesn't have 9 playoff losses. Second of all, he's had some tough draws in the playoffs. He's 2-1 at home in the playoffs, and 1-5 on the road, with 3 of the 5 road losses against the eventual Super Bowl champion.

I believe that he has a chance every year because he us such a talented player. I think that he might not have had a better opportunity than last year with a good defense and Edge running the ball.

People saying it wasn't his best chance, don't realize how hard it is to get the the SB.

They already lost some people ont he D, lost some people on the offense.

Look at Marino. Look at HOFers who NEVER made it to the SB. With the Pats out, Indy really should have taken advantage of it.

Teams don't just compete for the SB year in and year out. Indy could make the playoffs once in the next three years, and that wouldn't even be a big story. That happens in the NFL more then people realize.

Look at the Ravens. That D was so good. They added even more talent. Things just never worked out. The Bucs with Johnson, great D. Things fell apart. The Rams were unstoppable. Look at the Eagles. They make the SB, then miss the playoffs. It's not a given you dominate year in and year out.

And those are teams who MADE the superbowl. You don't knock on the door for 10 years. Even the Steelers missed the playoffs a few years back. It's just extremely hard to maintain 12-4 seasons. Constantly winning. Constantly in the hunt for the SB.

Would anyone really be shocked if the Pats missed the playoffs this year?

There is no given in the NFL. It's not a given the Colts make the playoffs. It's not a given the Colts EVER make a SB. So having home field, defending champs out, no injuries, it was setup maybe nicer then they'll ever see again.

I dont think it was. They were in the best position from their stand point and things they had to do..BUT the team that was playing the best in the NFL stopped them. IMO there isnt always going to be a team winning like Pitt did last season. So say the colts go 11-5, and dont hit a freight train in the playoffs they would be in better position...Get it?

I agree last season was his best chance. The loss of Edge will hurt them unless they get a good rb in the draft that catchs on quick. Paying Harrison and Wayne that kinda money will hurt them in the long run also because they will lose other players at key positions. Add to the fact that Manning has been exposed last year by the Chargers and Steelers. Teams will know to stop him is keep the running game in check and pressure him alot. People don't relize how important that running game was to there offense last year. With all this said they should still make the playoffs and I think the Steelers proved coming at the 6 seed you never know what can happen.

I agree last season was his best chance. The loss of Edge will hurt them unless they get a good rb in the draft that catchs on quick. Paying Harrison and Wayne that kinda money will hurt them in the long run also because they will lose other players at key positions. Add to the fact that Manning has been exposed last year by the Chargers and Steelers. Teams will know to stop him is keep the running game in check and pressure him alot. People don't relize how important that running game was to there offense last year. With all this said they should still make the playoffs and I think the Steelers proved coming at the 6 seed you never know what can happen.

In big games Edge is NEVER used. In the playoffs his loss is a non-factor..Sure they wont have a shot at 16-0 again but i will take 10-6 and a SB over anything

In big games Edge is NEVER used. In the playoffs his loss is a non-factor..Sure they wont have a shot at 16-0 again but i will take 10-6 and a SB over anything
Exactly my point Pitt took Edge somewhat out of the game and manged to keeep pressure on Manning. With a lesser rb there it just makes it easier for teams to do that to them.

Exactly my point Pitt took Edge somewhat out of the game and manged to keeep pressure on Manning. With a lesser rb there it just makes it easier for teams to do that to them.

IMO they didnt take him out of the game. They stopped using him. Colts do that in big games.He was avg.4.3 yards/carry. Its a pattern. Same in the SD game and NE in 04

IMO they didnt take him out of the game. They stopped using him. Colts do that in big games.He was avg.4.3 yards/carry. Its a pattern. Same in the SD game and NE in 04
Thats true to a point. Maybe in the Pitt game they looked to throw more because of the lead Pitt had on them.

On a related note. Do you think any team that clinches home field so early sits their players like Indy did?

I'd say it worked against them.

I don't understand ppl......going for the perfect season didn't hurt them, resting their players did not hurt them(im sure every coach would love to rest up his players from little injuries)......

I :thumbsup: at this.....

everyone is over-analyzing this....it's ridiculous....

They Lost!....end of story, I believed they were the better team but not on that day!....thats the beauty of the NFL playoffs....thats why you see that black guy do commercials about Elway Montana and Namith.....

They Lost....

What I saw, of the little I watched, but were the critical final moment none the less.

Mere moments after the bad call, which gave the colts one more chance to win and advance againts the Steelers. I saw that Peyton had taken himself out of the game. There was time, there was opportunity. Steelers had not taken away all of his targets. But Peyton was panicked and focused on quickly scoring when he needed to just be steady, advance the ball and continue the drive.

I saw him not look at the entire field. Not go through his progressions. Not realize the pressure was heavy, as a preventative type defense was in place. But more importantly, he totally ignored open targets closer, but capable of getting the first down to make a home run. One of those targest was a totally wide open Edge standing with no defenders close enough to prevent a first down.

Peyton I think will eventually get there and get it. I think he is better than Marino in that way. But only if when that time comes he attempts to play within the game and not force it.

Some of the top level QB's appear to try to do it all too often, imo often to their own detriment.

What I saw, of the little I watched, but were the critical final moment none the less.

Mere moments after the bad call, which gave the colts one more chance to win and advance againts the Steelers. I saw that Peyton had taken himself out of the game. There was time, there was opportunity. Steelers had not taken away all of his targets. But Peyton was panicked and focused on quickly scoring when he needed to just be steady, advance the ball and continue the drive.

I saw him not look at the entire field. Not go through his progressions. Not realize the pressure was heavy, as a preventative type defense was in place. But more importantly, he totally ignored open targets closer, but capable of getting the first down to make a home run. One of those targest was a totally wide open Edge standing with no defenders close enough to prevent a first down.

Peyton I think will eventually get there and get it. I think he is better than Marino in that way. But only if when that time comes he attempts to play within the game and not force it.

Some of the top level QB's appear to try to do it all too often, imo often to their own detriment.

Agree and think he should have use Edge more the whole game in the short pass when pressue was on him the whole game. Edge was open alot for the short pass but Manning tried to force balls elese where that eneded up in the dirt.

I don't understand ppl......going for the perfect season didn't hurt them, resting their players did not hurt them(im sure every coach would love to rest up his players from little injuries)......

I :lol: at this.....

everyone is over-analyzing this....it's ridiculous....

They Lost!....end of story, I believed they were the better team but not on that day!....thats the beauty of the NFL playoffs....thats why you see that black guy do commercials about Elway Montana and Namith.....

They Lost....

Oh, I think resting their players definitely hurt them. They looked absolutely flat and out of synch for 3 quarters.

As a Steelers fan, I would like to think that was all about the Steelers and they did play very well, but I also watched the Colts a lot last year and I do believe resting the starters for a month before they played a meaningful game was a big mistake. I think Dungy should have rested them one half of the final game.

Oh, I think resting their players definitely hurt them. They looked absolutely flat and out of synch for 3 quarters.

As a Steelers fan, I would like to think that was all about the Steelers and they did play very well, but I also watched the Colts a lot last year and I do believe resting the starters for a month before they played a meaningful game was a big mistake. I think Dungy should have rested them one half of the final game.

Also think the Steelers took them by surprise when they came out firing. Think maybe the Colts started to believe there own hype and took Pitt to lightly.

Also think the Steelers took them by surprise when they came out firing. Think maybe the Colts started to believe there own hype and took Pitt to lightly.

That's very possible.....there's just no denying how flat the Colts looked in the game overall.

Ok so I am not looking up the stats but peyton is what then 3-7 in playoff games? I don't think Peyton is there yet and may never be there. Marino had a a chance and he could not get it done. How many chances did favre have two? He was 1-1. Favre and the Packers never really had another time they got close to the superbowl. It is too hard with a salary cap now days. Who is to say that the wheels will come off shortly for the colts? The spent alot of money to keep marvin, reggie and Peyton. I haven't seen to many teams win superbowls relying on thier passing game.

Good luck Colts kiss your superbowl goodbye. Watch out for the Dolphins is all I can say!!

Ok so I am not looking up the stats but peyton is what then 3-7 in playoff games? I don't think Peyton is there yet and may never be there. Marino had a a chance and he could not get it done. How many chances did favre have two? He was 1-1. Favre and the Packers never really had another time they got close to the superbowl. It is too hard with a salary cap now days. Who is to say that the wheels will come off shortly for the colts? The spent alot of money to keep marvin, reggie and Peyton. I haven't seen to many teams win superbowls relying on thier passing game.

Good luck Colts kiss your superbowl goodbye. Watch out for the Dolphins is all I can say!!

You had me until that last line. :lol:

I started a thread that had some well thought out answers and no fighting? :argue:

I'm a Patriots fan and I am a Manning hater. However, I do think he is best QB in the NFL in the REGULAR SEASON. Remember Florida? He couldn't get it done. There is just something about him, when he gets rattled he just can't handle the pressure and he forgets everything he has learned. When he has protection, he is the best in he NFL, but when he gets hit, he's one of the worst in the NFL. That being said, I still think he has an outside chance at winning a Superbowl. What none of you have mentioned yet, which is a HUGE factor is his coach. TONY DUNGEE is again, a great regular season coach and a TERRIBLE playoff coach. That really goes a long way in the NFL, as you all know. Unless Manning gets a new coach within the next 4 years, he won't win a Superbowl. IMO.

yes, it was their best chance to date. In years past, they were on the road against an arguably better team, NE. This year they had home field and NE, their nemesis, was a non factor. in years past Indy's D was also way below average. They were overated last year, but were at least an average or slightly above average D.

I think clinching so early did hurt them. They were mailing it in for the better part of a month. Teams lose their intensity with these long layoffs. Pitt on the otherhand, with an incredibly tough road to the SB just seemed to thrive on the competition and the adversity. Their adrenalin was ahead of everyone else.

The layoff also hurt Chi. They had a 3 week break between important games. Historically, the numbers favour teams that have byes and home field quite convincingly, but the proff was in the pudding with these two teams. It was clear they lacked "it" for the 1st halfs of each game.

For Indy to win, they need to spend more $ and emphasis on D. They also need to have a more conservative running game so that their D is not on the field for 35 minutes a game. The quick strike O is a double edged sword where you may score alot, but your D doesnt get any rest. The 9 minute TD drive is the most effective and demoralizing was to beat a team.

Manning should win one eventually because he is that good that his teams will always be a contender. His lack of success in recent years should not fall entirely on his shoulders just as the wins should not.

They said the same things about Marino.

Up to this point, last season was his best chance. But the window is far from closed.

Forget the Wildcard round. What's his record in the Divisional and Championship rounds? Pathetic for the gaudy stats and team records. It seems that the regular season is almost too easy for Peyton. He hits the Playoffs virutally untested and it shows when he's not used to checking down.

It's shame, but the BS that Archie and Eli pulled on the Chargers has made me resepct anything Manning that much less, including Peyton. Where I had been pulling for him, now I wouldn't mind if he's simply the regular-season prima donna he appears to be.

Howver, I will always be rooting for Tony Dungy.

The D is getting better, and their Oline is good enough that they will still be able to run the ball. As long as Manning is there with his trio of WRs this team will be unstoppable on offense.

Up to this point, last season was his best chance. But the window is far from closed.

Exactly. Elway had chances early in his career, and by the early-mid nineties, people were saying his window was closing and his best chances were behind him.

Not saying the same thing will happen, but Peyton is a talent, and they will have a few more chances with him behind center.

Howver, I will always be rooting for Tony Dungy.

Agreed. He is one of the most likable coaches in the NFL.

Thoughts?

wow, mind-blowing topic you have here :cry:

a lot of things mentioned i agree with here:

it was there best chance thus far (nemesis pats out of the way; less polished/experienced field in afc playoffs).

taking off the final few games was detrimental to them. they copied the eagles of the previous season, and thought it would be ok. difference: eagles were not a timing based offense, and thus could manage the layoff; colts offense runs on manning's extremely precise synchrony, and was visibly affected by the layoff.

the defense is just starting to get where it needs to be. dungy's bucs defense had to first master the cover2, eventually playing it at an all-world level. this colts defense is just now getting 'tougher', with the linebackers and secondary guys increasing there ruggedness to stop people. adding corey simon was a big step in this direction, but he alone is not enough; they need one or two more 'tough guys' and a season or two more polish to be at their best.

lastly, it takes a lot of things going your way to win it all. none of the champions the last few years have been per se 'perfect', but they all did things extremely well enough to mask that fact (usually what it takes to be highly successful). from the impeccably and timely aggressive qb play of warner and brady to the impeccably mistake-free and steady play of dilfer and bjohnson (and a little of both from roth last yr), the qb needs to be on a higher plane as far as his game goes. the defense (ravens, bucs, pats, steelers) must be playing lights out, and the special teams (vinatieri in snow/clutch, ravens return game/coverage) must be doing extraordinary things.

i agree the colts window is still very open---manning has several prime yrs, and their defensive stars (freeney/sanders/simon) are still young. they will, however, need to continue to grow and gain the attributes (mettle?) to win it all.

a lot of things mentioned i agree with here:

it was there best chance thus far (nemesis pats out of the way; less polished/experienced field in afc playoffs).

taking off the final few games was detrimental to them. they copied the eagles of the previous season, and thought it would be ok. difference: eagles were not a timing based offense, and thus could manage the layoff; colts offense runs on manning's extremely precise synchrony, and was visibly affected by the layoff.

the defense is just starting to get where it needs to be. dungy's bucs defense had to first master the cover2, eventually playing it at an all-world level. this colts defense is just now getting 'tougher', with the linebackers and secondary guys increasing there ruggedness to stop people. adding corey simon was a big step in this direction, but he alone is not enough; they need one or two more 'tough guys' and a season or two more polish to be at their best.

lastly, it takes a lot of things going your way to win it all. none of the champions the last few years have been per se 'perfect', but they all did things extremely well enough to mask that fact (usually what it takes to be highly successful). from the impeccably and timely aggressive qb play of warner and brady to the impeccably mistake-free and steady play of dilfer and bjohnson (and a little of both from roth last yr), the qb needs to be on a higher plane as far as his game goes. the defense (ravens, bucs, pats, steelers) must be playing lights out, and the special teams (vinatieri in snow/clutch, ravens return game/coverage) must be doing extraordinary things.

i agree the colts window is still very open---manning has several prime yrs, and their defensive stars (freeney/sanders/simon) are still young. they will, however, need to continue to grow and gain the attributes (mettle?) to win it all.

Nice post...I think they'll miss James if they don't draft an RB in the either of the first two rounds. I wouldn't be surprised if Joseph Addai isn't that guy. I'm not a huge fan of the SI writer (Banks) that's doing the mocks, but I think Addai would be a perfect fit for Indy

Agree... if they couldn't do it last year, I don't see them being able to pull it off. But they will be in the playoffs for probably the next 5 years so they will definitely get more shots to make a run at it. Manning is certainly capable of pulling off some incredible games and the defense should be good enough to keep them in it now.

I dont think it was. They were in the best position from their stand point and things they had to do..BUT the team that was playing the best in the NFL stopped them. IMO there isnt always going to be a team winning like Pitt did last season. So say the colts go 11-5, and dont hit a freight train in the playoffs they would be in better position...Get it?

Exactly. Look at the Pats' regular seasons before they won their Super Bowls:

2001: Won 10 of 12 to just barely get a bye at 11-5 (same record Pitt was a 6 seed with this year), huge momentum and narrow playoff victories were just enough with easily their weakest Super Bowl squad.

2003: Started 2-2 coming off a 9-7 season, really got a fire under their ass and finished the regular season with 12 straight wins, not sure if they needed the last win to guarantee HFA (KC finished one game back at 13-3), but they sure had fun beating the Bills 31-0 in the finale after losing to them 31-0 in the opener. Again they had a bye.

2004: Won 8 of 9 down the stretch including their final 2 after a big wake up call at Miami. Again I'm not sure if they needed the final win (NE was 13-2 and Ind was 12-3 going into the final week) but nevertheless they did beat the hapless 49ers to end the regular season, and again enterred the playoffs with momentum and a bye.

Here's the big reason the Colts have not missed their best chance yet:

Manning's Colts have only had a bye once, and have never enterred the playoffs with both a bye and momentum.

Now if you think that is never going to happen for them, you're in the minority. Most of Peyton's career the supporting cast was not very good, but now (I'm talking 2006, not just 2005) he is in his prime and has a supporting cast that is more talented and better coached than most.

You can't compare Indy to the Ravens. Baltimore had a payroll at least 20% higher than the salary cap (due to fresh signing bonuses, etc) and had to gut their team after that as a result. toofunny said, "Look at the Eagles." Well yeah, the Eagles knocked on the door for three years before they finally got through to the big game. So yeah, look at the Eagles, the Colts will probably reach the Super Bowl someday too. Plus one big thing you have to consider when comparing Indy's future prospects to teams that did make the Super Bowl. When you win the Super Bowl, you have more guys on the team that want to get paid more. NFL players aren't stupid, they know if they are on the best team, then the players on that team are worth more money than the players on other teams. With the salary cap, that means guys are going to go. Indy will lose a few players here and there (Edge is gone, and Nick Harper is griping about his contract), but not nearly as much as if they had actually gone to the Super Bowl like the teams toofunny mentioned. There is still a lot of contract restructuring going on up there, and there are a lot of players who want to be a part of getting that team over the hump.

It took John Elway a few years!

Exactly. I remember just about everyone saying how Elway couldn't win the big game. People are so stupid. They are so blinded by the past they can't allow themselves to see a different future.

I'm a Patriots fan and I am a Manning hater. However, I do think he is best QB in the NFL in the REGULAR SEASON. Remember Florida? He couldn't get it done.

This is a stupid comment. Manning never played against the Gators in the postseason. You're contradicting yourself, jackass. Plus, the Gator teams he lost to were simply better teams overall. Hell, one of them won the national championship. A regular season-only great, huh? Just like Elway... :laugh:

yeah, a lot of ffers are forgetting that indy GM polian ranks among the top personnel/talent evaluators in the league (a fact forgotten behind the pats run with belichk and GM pioli). i put him in a class with those pats guys as well as the ravens, panthers, seahawks, cowboys, and jaguars personnel people.

the history of letting marshall faulk go and snagging edge over ricky in the draft is being hit upon a lot lately. lets not forget the stellar guys they have drafted and developed over the past decade: harrison, tarik glenn, manning, edgerrin, mike peterson, marcus washington, reggie wayne, ryan diem, freeney, robert mathis, mike doss, and bob sanders.

addai is getting more and more pub as the 'under-the-radar guy' (as opposed to maroney, deangelo williams, or speedster brian calhoun) the colts will plug into the run game. from what i understand of him, he does no one thing exceptionally well, but is B+ or higher in everything, making him an attractive all-around player (coming from a proven program at lsu that recently won a champshp doesn hurt either).

i personally think a great-value defensive player (wimbley, brooks, yobouty(sp?), carpenter) will be available to them in the 1st, making their decision on a hb difficult. if it is hb at 1, addai is a solid candidate, along with intriguing guys calhoun, maurice drew, and jerious norwood.