Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

Miami offers Harrington 2 yrs $5mil

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../604070342/1066

Quest for backup QB continues

Bengals notebook

BY MARK CURNUTTE | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Detroit's demands for third- and fourth-round draft picks are holding up the trade of quarterback Joey Harrington.

Miami, which has reached agreement on a two-year deal worth $5 million, is offering only a sixth-round pick in 2007 to the Lions. The Bengals, who are offering a sixth this season, have offered Harrington a one-year deal worth about $2 million.

The Bengals continue to talk with the agent for free agent Jamie Martin, a former Rams backup. The Dolphins also have had conversations with Tom Mills, and now New Orleans has entered the picture because it wants competition - and an insurance policy - for Drew Brees, who is coming back from shoulder surgery.

The Bengals also are seeking insurance in case starter Carson Palmer is not ready for the start of the season. Another arm also is needed for spring and summer on-field work.

NEW LIST: Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson unveiled his new opposing cornerbacks list on ESPN following the release Thursday of the 2006 NFL schedule.

The first few cornerbacks are Kansas City's Patrick Surtain, Cleveland's Gary Baxter, Pittsburgh's Ike Taylor and New England's Asanti Samuel. For later games against Tampa Bay and Indianapolis, Johnson listed "Cover 2" defenses.

RFA: The Bengals have two unsigned restricted free agents remaining on their roster, fullback Jeremi Johnson and wide receiver Kelley Washington.

The Bengals have offered each $712,000 one-year tenders, worth "draft-status" compensation. Johnson was a fourth-round pick, Washington a third.

The Bengals are negotiating with Peter Schaffer, Johnson's agent. The 49ers also have expressed interest in Johnson.

"He's the best young fullback in football," Schaffer said. "Why wouldn't teams be interested?"

HENRY UPDATE: A not-guilty plea was entered for Bengals receiver Chris Henry on his remaining charge of illegal possession of a concealed firearm, stemming from an arrest Jan. 28 in Orlando, Fla. Henry faced an arraignment Thursday.

Any time within a week, the judge in Orange County, Fla., could set a trial date. Henry is expected to receive probation.

Guest stevejohnson

Harrington is basically resigning himself to be a career back up if he signs here.....after paying all that money to Culpepper, no way Joey ever gets more then spot duty if Culpepper comes back healthy. I actually think he would be better off in that role as the pressure of being the #1 guy in Detroit clearly got to him.

Harrington is basically resigning himself to be a career back up if he signs here.....after paying all that money to Culpepper, no way Joey ever gets more then spot duty if Culpepper comes back healthy. I actually think he would be better off in that role as the pressure of being the #1 guy in Detroit clearly got to him.

i find it telling harrington wants to go to a team where he's almost guaranteed to be a backup.

i find it telling harrington wants to go to a team where he's almost guaranteed to be a backup.

I give Culpepper about 3 weeks until everyone realizes he was nothing more than the arm that threw it to Randy Moss and a below avg QB, Harrington Will take over as the starter by week 4, and lead this team to the Playoffs

I give Culpepper about 3 weeks until everyone realizes he was nothing more than the arm that threw it to Randy Moss and a below avg QB, Harrington Will take over as the starter by week 4, and lead this team to the Playoffs

:unsure:

What's telling about it?

If he could get a starting job, I'm sure he would want it.

What's telling about it?

If he could get a starting job, I'm sure he would want it.

he and his agent have completely rebuffed kc and made it impossible for the lions to trade him there--yet he's reportedly getting cozy with both miami and cincy for less money than what his agent said it'd cost for him to go to kc.

go figure.

as a bills fan it would make me very happy to see joey harrington in a dolphins uniform

Culpepper has only gone off for 40+ TDs in two different seasons.....yeah, he's a bum.

Is Palmer going to start this season? Cinci is basically hedging this year with their deal and offer.

Is Culpepper going to start at the beginning of the season? Doubtful Miami needs to find a veteran to start things up. Someone that they could easily bench once Dante is ready to take over. But someone that can get them wins and be placed in playoff contention.

It therefore completely understandable why teams like Cinci and Miami are activelly looking to get Harrington. For they are not expecting much in return.

the other teams you have heard about having interest. KC, AZ, MN, etc Are clubs relying on older veterans and are seeking a mid aged veteran with starting experience they could attempt to rehab to start in a year or two when their current qb should be retired or a backup. However, these same teams are likely going to seek a qb in the draft that could become their qb of the future. Thus making Harrington a defacto starter with his playing time numbered from the start.

IMO, Harrington for the long term needs to go to a place where he can learn for a year before executing a system. He is mentally to banged up to be expected to hit the ground running successfully with a new team this season.

:bench:

The initial reports that came out several weeks ago about the Lions looking for a 3rd round pick for Harrington I figured were pipe dreams. The better take what they can get and move on.

NEW LIST: Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson unveiled his new opposing cornerbacks list on ESPN following the release Thursday of the 2006 NFL schedule.

The first few cornerbacks are Kansas City's Patrick Surtain, Cleveland's Gary Baxter, Pittsburgh's Ike Taylor and New England's Asanti Samuel. For later games against Tampa Bay and Indianapolis, Johnson listed "Cover 2" defenses.

CJ's list of CBs is a joke. He was shut down a few times last year but would not admit it. His stats vs. Ike Taylor are downright mediocre. And they don't cheat to his side either.....But he can't admit that.

CJ's list of CBs is a joke. He was shut down a few times last year but would not admit it. His stats vs. Ike Taylor are downright mediocre. And they don't cheat to his side either.....But he can't admit that.

This thread has nothing to do with Chad Johnson.....LOOK a Bannanna :bench:

He's the world's leading authority on sucking. He could make a fortune selling vaccum cleaners.

He might be better now he got away from Dumb sh*t Millsucky the GM. The Lions will never be good until they fire him.

He might be better now he got away from Dumb sh*t Millsucky the GM. The Lions will never be good until they fire him.

Hey, the Clippers stuck with Elgin Baylor for 20 years and now we're seeing the fruits of his labor. Patience pays off. I think Millen can get us over .500 at some point just like Baylor has. We may even sneak into the playoffs and lose in the first round.

Hey, the Clippers stuck with Elgin Baylor for 20 years and now we're seeing the fruits of his labor. Patience pays off. I think Millen can get us over .500 at some point just like Baylor has. We may even sneak into the playoffs and lose in the first round.

Difference was the Clippers were playing the small market development cash game.

You see this alot in MLB. Small market teams draft a guy, develop for a short while and then trade the talent to the big clubs for cash and take the trash. Recylcing for the lottery draft and return once more.

Get some youth, trade them off for picks and cash and return to mediocrity. Way to profitability when you have no fans.

Now that the Lakers suck, they can get a short term bandwagon boost until the Lakers reload once more.

Guest Mr.T

Thanks swampdog, I hadn't heard Harrington could allegedly get more money by going to KC. If that is true it is interesting.

I find it telling that you were the same moron who thought Suckington was an actual NFL starting QB. :ninja:

<_<