Sign in to follow this  
Dog Face Gremlins211

Colts Shun Thomas Jones

ESPN's John Clayton reports the Colts are not expected to make any moves to acquire Bears RB Thomas Jones. Though the Colts are in the market for a running back, there would be two things that would sour the Colts on the idea. First, Jones just went through an agent change and the Colts don't want to get involved in a messy contract renegotiation. Second, Jones and RB Cedric Benson are a great one-two punch in their backfield and the Bears would want maybe two first-day draft choices to part with Jones.

http://www.ffmastermind.com/quickbits.php

Yeah there's no way I'd give up two first day picks for Thomas Jones. He's good but I'd think they could have a decent chance at drafting a good RB.

T. Jones would be an awesome fit in Indy.

Wouldn't want Thomas Jones playing for my Colts. Polian is much smarter than that.

Go get his little brother for a 2nd rounder. Bring him back to Indiana. he works well in single back sets, and can handle the protections.

Julius would also be a better fit, and much younger.

Wouldn't want Thomas Jones playing for my Colts. Polian is much smarter than that.

Yeah, having a smallish Dominic Rhodes or an unproven rookie makes alot more sense. :huh:

First, Jones just went through an agent change and the Colts don't want to get involved in a messy contract renegotiation. Second, Jones and RB Cedric Benson are a great one-two punch in their backfield and the Bears would want maybe two first-day draft choices to part with Jones.

Third, Jones will be 28 when the season starts, and the Colts want a younger running back (they traded Faulk when he was 26, and Edge is the same age as Jones)

Yeah, having a smallish Dominic Rhodes or an unproven rookie makes alot more sense. :huh:

I'm not happy with Rhodes being the starter and he won't be, but for you to insinuate TJ is the answer is a joke. This t00l must have TJ on his fantasy squad. Whichever rookie we draft will be our starter for 06. It will be 1 of Williams, Maroney & Addai

since when is thomas jones on the trading block?

This is the 1st I hear about it.

He has 2 years left on a really cheap contract - 2.5 per. He would be ideal for the Colts for the next couple of years.

I like our depth at RB, so we can keep him if no one wants to pay. 2 1st day picks does seem high. A 2nd rounder would be fair imo.

This move would elevate the value of both TJ and benson - great for FF if it ever went down.

I'm not happy with Rhodes being the starter and he won't be, but for you to insinuate TJ is the answer is a joke. This t00l must have TJ on his fantasy squad. Whichever rookie we draft will be our starter for 06. It will be 1 of Williams, Maroney & Addai

Thomas Jones would be the best answer out of the group. You know what he can do, and it's a lot better than what Rhodes can do. He's obviously more proven than a rookie. I can understand favoring a rookie due to age and potential upside, but saying the only reason he brought this up is because he was TJ on his FF team is ignorant.

Jones may be older, but he also has less touches than most starting RBs at his age.

Maybe Dominic Davis?

Don't see HOU trading DD because Bush is not an every down back. He is going to be lining up as WR/slot and returning kicks in addition to getting 10-15 carries per game. Bush has even said he will most effective in the NFL if teams use him the same way USC did.

The Colts are so close to making it to the Super Bowl. Is a rookie learning on the job - right now- the best thing for them? Jones has a well-rounded skillset and makes a nice compromise between James and a rookie.

Yeah, having a smallish Dominic Rhodes or an unproven rookie makes alot more sense. :mad:

Rhodes is 5-10 205, TJones is listed at 5-10, 220, DomDavis is 5-9, 220. I wouldnt call Rhodes "smallish". Smallish is 5-9, 180 ala Warrick Dunn....and, uh, he's pretty good.

This move would elevate the value of both TJ and benson - great for FF if it ever went down.

I never understood this line of thinking. Great for TJ or Benson owners, not great for anyone else. Particularly anyone who might have a shot at Indy's alternate choice, whoever that turns out to be. Even if it ends up being RBBC in both Indy and Chicago, that is great for all the FF owners who are banking on players not on those teams. :thumbsup:

The Colts are so close to making it to the Super Bowl. Is a rookie learning on the job - right now- the best thing for them? Jones has a well-rounded skillset and makes a nice compromise between James and a rookie.

Agree with this completely. Colt's offense is built to win now. Actually, it was built a lot better last year. I'm not completely sure what Chicago's asking price would be but Jones contract's cheap, he doesn't have a lot of wear and tear, and he would be much better in 2006 than what the Colt's presently have or if they took a RB in the 1st. Indy could use that #1 pick to get a great LB or D lineman. I think it's a better move than Maroney or Addai.

Colt's window's closing. As is, they'll be pretty 1 dimensional this year on offense. Nobody's scared of the present RB's on the roster. I think they're really going to miss James.

Come on O. What makes you think being a rookie is a significant disadvantage for a running back? It's the easiest position in the game to succeed as a rookie.

Come on O. What makes you think being a rookie is a significant disadvantage for a running back? It's the easiest position in the game to succeed as a rookie.

Running? No. They can learn learn a few plays and run through the right hole the moment they're in camp, but the pass protection takes longer to learn (or if you're Tatum Bell, never learn). The running backs available to the Colts will have warts of one kind or another, whether its Maroney's blocking and receiving or Addai's complete but very unspecial skillset. Also It's not like I care what happens to the Colts but it's easy to picture Rhodes getting hurt five minutes into the season and Peyton runs for his life while setting a personal record for interceptions as Maroney gets blasted on blitz pickups.

True...but there's still a learning curve, especially with the Colts offense. I hope the rookie can learn spastic sign language quickly because else he's going to miss an assignment and the Colt's $100,000,000.00 man will be laying on the carpet unaware of the day and how many fingers the trainer's holding up.

Also, if you don't sign the rookie right away you get an even longer learning curve. Cadillac signed and got his butt into camp right away, Benson didn't. We all know what happened with those 2 last year.

Also, if you don't sign the rookie right away you get an even longer learning curve. Cadillac signed and got his butt into camp right away, Benson didn't. We all know what happened with those 2 last year.

Holdouts by top 5 picks are common, holdouts by late first round picks aren't. Unless the young kid is averse to working hard, I'm sure Manning will spend plenty of time getting him up to speed, much the way he, Edge, and Marvin would practice together outside of the team practices.

Plus, it's not like Edge's experience with blitz pickups did the Colts any good in the playoffs against Pittsburgh last year or New England the year before... Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's not an important skill for a RB to have. But I think concerns about how much a rookie would struggle with it are being greatly exaggerated.

I'm sure Manning will spend plenty of time getting him up to speed, much the way he, Edge, and Marvin would practice together outside of the team practices.

Plus, it's not like Edge's experience with blitz pickups did the Colts any good in the playoffs against Pittsburgh last year or New England the year before... Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's not an important skill for a RB to have. But I think concerns about how much a rookie would struggle with it are being greatly exaggerated.

This sounds like an optimistic Colts fan to me. You may be right....we of course won't know who's right until after the season, but I'd still be much more comfortable with Thomas Jones and still with a 1st round pick than I would with Maroney or Addai. I think Jones would excel in Indy.

This sounds like an optimistic Colts fan to me.

Ok. I'm not, but thanks for sharing.

I'd still be much more comfortable with Thomas Jones and still with a 1st round pick than I would with Maroney or Addai. I think Jones would excel in Indy.

But for how long? There's no reason to believe Polian is interested in trading for someone Jones' age.

I have seen NOTHING regarding Da Berz shopping T Jones. Correct me if someone else has. But, I am guessing that Benson is not as good as they thought, or maybe not a hard worker. Some reason for dissappointment otherwise shopping Jones only makes sense. And I would expect the Ponies to be at the front of the line.

My point is if Jones were on the market, I am sure the Colts would be in the bidding.

But for how long? There's no reason to believe Polian is interested in trading for someone Jones' age.

I know you brought up the Faulk deal earlier. Is age a Polian philosophy or was it simply a matter of having a high draft pick at the time? If you're picking second there are no immediate playoff aspirations so why not cash in Faulk for what they can and draft a great prospect. Don't know if age is a traditional motive or not - just asking.

I know you brought up the Faulk deal earlier. Is age a Polian philosophy or was it simply a matter of having a high draft pick at the time? If you're picking second there are no immediate playoff aspirations so why not cash in Faulk for what they can and draft a great prospect. Don't know if age is a traditional motive or not - just asking.

I don't know if it's a traditional motive, but there's no doubt in my mind that it's a Polian philosophy. It's why they franchised Edge in '05 without giving him a long term deal... he was right on the borderline of getting up there for an RB.

Even if his motivation with Faulk was simply that they had a pick and they had the opportunity to get a great RB in round 1 plus some picks for Faulk... why wouldn't that apply this year? Draft your starting RB in round 1 and save some later picks (by not sending them for a Thomas Jones or similar)?

I would love to have TJ here. But he is worth 1 3rd rounder and thats it. Hes 28 and is a short term answer. They wont get 2 first day picks for him EVER.

Its hard to argue with the Colts evaluation of rookie RBs. Faulk, Edge, Rhodes, ect. Why should they trade draft picks for a more expensive veteran given their current cap condition?

It looks to me like they are gonna rely on Rhodes to be their starter. I don't have a link but there was an article in the Indianapolis Star last week about how he is gearing up to be the starter. I would think that they will look to the draft for a young talent to learn the ropes behind Rhodes. With their cap situation, I don't really see them going for any major RB FA's unless it is for injury insurance.

Stephen Davis.

The Colts could sign Davis to a 2 year contract (one year guaranteed), team him with Dominic Rhodes, and draft a running back for the future.

Colts can use him for 10-15 carries a game.

Only negative is how well will Davis hold up playing on turf.

I'll be shocked if it's Maroney. I think it will be Addai--best blocker, receiver, runner combination after Reggie Bush...

If you remember, Edge came to camp late as a rookie but had studied the offense and wowed them with his preparation. Edge is a one of a kind player. They won't replace him, but Addai (if he reports on time) could be good enough to be an asset.

It looks to me like they are gonna rely on Rhodes to be their starter. I don't have a link but there was an article in the Indianapolis Star last week about how he is gearing up to be the starter.

Rhodes may be gearing up to be the starter, but I think the Colts have other plans...

Rhodes may be gearing up to be the starter, but I think the Colts have other plans...

Yep. And his name is L White. Alot of talk about here this week. Colts are not looking for a replacement for E James,they are looking for a power runner. Thats what we are hearing. I dont think how good of a reciever the RB is will play as big of a part as people think it will. White and Maroney in that order. If they are gone IMO they trade down...None of the other RB's are first round value.

Yep. And his name is L White. Alot of talk about here this week. Colts are not looking for a replacement for E James,they are looking for a power runner. Thats what we are hearing. I dont think how good of a reciever the RB is will play as big of a part as people think it will. White and Maroney in that order. If they are gone IMO they trade down...None of the other RB's are first round value.

If the Colts draft White I will bury myself alive.

Its hard to argue with the Colts evaluation of rookie RBs. Faulk, Edge, Rhodes, ect. Why should they trade draft picks for a more expensive veteran given their current cap condition?

While this is a good thought, it isn't really relevant. Faulk was before Polian. Edge was with Polian, but they also had a top 10 pick that year, I think 5 or something. Rhodes seems to have become worse every year in the league. He can't hold on to the ball for the life of him. I really would hate to see him at RB for the Colts.

But I do have to say that you are correct that they are not going to trade for a veteran RB, when after age 29 most all of them start going downhill (except for a few cases).

Stephen Davis.

The Colts could sign Davis to a 2 year contract (one year guaranteed), team him with Dominic Rhodes, and draft a running back for the future.

Colts can use him for 10-15 carries a game.

Only negative is how well will Davis hold up playing on turf.

WORST. IDEA. EVER. Sign a guy that will average 2.5 ypc, excellent.

It's why they franchised Edge in '05 without giving him a long term deal... he was right on the borderline of getting up there for an RB.

The only reason they were able to do that is because Wayne had another year left on his deal. Otherwise he would of been gone after last year. Wayne is much more important to them because the life of a reciever is 5 or more years than the life of a RB, especially one who has had a major knee surgury.