Sign in to follow this  
mighty_thor

Politicians not in your party who you respect

Tip O'Neal and Ronald Reagan were complete opposites politically but they both respected each other.

Which politicians on the other side of the fence do you respect? Not necessarily agree with but respect.

I vote Democrat most of the time. But I respect the following republicans mainly because they seeem honorable and each seems to be working for what they believe is best for the country. None of these guys are from my state.

McCain

Arlen Specter

Orin Hatch

I kinda like McCain.

I love McCain and it seems any time his name is brought up, people drool all over him. Why can't this guy get a presidental nomination!?!

I love McCain and it seems any time his name is brought up, people drool all over him. Why can't this guy get a presidental nomination!?!

Karl Rove did a dirty hatchet job on him during his last primary run.

I've really lost a lot of respect for McCain in the past 10 months.

Certainly Specter

I really like my own Senator Chuck Hagel

I'm friends with my old congressman Lee Terry. We don't agree on much of anything and he's a pompus azz, but we get along personally.

I like Powell.

Right now that's about it that I know of. There used to be a ton more, but they were replaced with all the Delay/Ginrich cronies over the past 10 years.

Agreed. This guy doesn't suck up to anyone and has some outside the box views.

He's been sucking up to Pat Robertson and the American Taliban lately.

Joe Liberman and Zell Miller. That's an easy one.

I didn't know you were a democrat? I figured with your views you'd vote Republican for sure.

I didn't know you were a democrat? I figured with your views you'd vote Republican for sure.

Politicians not in your party who you respect, Not necessarly agree with their positions

I think McCain gets a lot of support simply because he was a POW/war hero. People want him to be a great leader. I know I did.

But after really listening to him... he doesn't impress me at all.

I was being sarcastic

Joe Liebermann is a Democrat in name only, the party itself is funding the other candidate in the primary. He's doesn't represent anything liberalism/progressivism/or the party stands for.

Zell Miller is a registered Republican now. But not before throwing his party under the bus.

I respect John Warner a lot. I think the ladies from Maine do a good job for their state.

McCain is a soul-selling, hardcore right wing freak. He has much of the country bamboozled, it seems.

Specter talks a good game, but pretty much remains Bush's anal plug when the rubber meets the road.

Howard Dean is the consummate big government liberal, but watching him during the election I was impressed by his passion and definitely got the idea that he truly believes the things he claims to believe and truly cares about the things he claims to care about. I didn't agree with most of his proposals but I respected that they came from the heart.

I also think the way "the scream" was used against was one of the most distasteful and irrelevant attacks in recent history.

Howard Dean is the consummate big government liberal, but watching him during the election I was impressed by his passion and definitely got the idea that he truly believes the things he claims to believe and truly cares about the things he claims to care about. I didn't agree with most of his proposals but I respected that they came from the heart.

I also think the way "the scream" was used against was one of the most distasteful and irrelevant attacks in recent history.

He's actually fairly moderate. It's hard to call someone who balanced all his budgets a "big government liberal."

He's doing an amazing job rebuilding the party.

He's actually fairly moderate. It's hard to call someone who balanced all his budgets a "big government liberal."

He's doing an amazing job rebuilding the party.

Watching his speeches it seemed he had a federal program planned for every ill we might conceivably face. Balanced budgets or no, to me that's a big government liberal.

Couldn't agree more. I just didn't see the big deal.

I hear John Kerry is going to run again, what a joke.

Is the democratic ticket for 2008 going to be one of Kerry, Dean, or Hilary?

This is the thread title: Politicians not in your party who you respect, Not necessarly agree with their positions

How is your response relevant?

This is the thread title: Politicians not in your party who you respect, Not necessarly agree with their positions

How is your response relevant?

How is liberals talking about Dean relevant? I don't believe I heard any conservatives say the respect him.

If you're looking for relevant responses, you've come to the wrong place.... :D

How is liberals talking about Dean relevant? I don't believe I heard any conservatives say the respect him.

Dear God.

Boys and girls, in this thread, you post names of politicians not in your party who you respect.

You do not post names of politicians you think are stupid.

Got it?

uh, parrot?

You don't have any idea what my political views are numbnuts.

And yeah, I'm going to ahead and call you names even though I know it upsets you so because there's no clearer indication that a person is an idiot than the knee-jerk assumption that anyone who disagrees with the policies of the Bush administration is a liberal.

I guess George Will, Newt Gingrich, William F. Buckley are liberals now too?