Sign in to follow this  
JScott

Moving to Colorado

This might be old news to those at TDZ during the FFT blackout, but Mrs. JScott and I will be closing on our new home in Ridgway, CO on June 30th :D

Leaving the Boston area, looking for a better lifestyle to raise a family in. I'll always love the North East but the cost of living, local gov't BS, over-crowding and general rudeness of people (among other things) finally got to us. We're out.

The pics aren't the greatest (they're from the real estate listing) but you get the idea.

Now we just need to sell our current home... anybody!?!?! :huh:

UPDATE:

Accepted offer (asking price) on our Beverly, MA house. No obsticles left in order for us to move to CO. Still won't cheer for the Broncos, but at least there will be good football near by (5 hours). And yes, I know, I'll have to pay thru the nose for tix IF I can find them. Still excited though!

This might be old news to those at TDZ during the FFT blackout, but Mrs. JScott and I will be closing on our new home in Ridgway, CO on June 30th :rolleyes:

Leaving the Boston area, looking for a better lifestyle to raise a family in. I'll always love the North East but the cost of living, local gov't BS, over-crowding and general rudeness of people (among other things) finally got to us. We're out.

The pics aren't the greatest (they're from the real estate listing) but you get the idea.

Now we just need to sell our current home... anybody!?!?! :lol:

Good luck man. Your personality didn't seem to quite fit with your descriptions above. I don't think you'll have any problems out there.

Good luck man. Your personality didn't seem to quite fit with your descriptions above. I don't think you'll have any problems out there.

Thanks shovel :rolleyes:

Congrats :rolleyes:

Where you moving from?

Los Angeles. I lived in Denver about 9 years ago for 2 years. Really loved it. The only reason I left was for career reasons. Decided I wanted to move back, especially since home prices have skyrocketed here and they're still very reasonable there. I was able to make a killing on my house here and get a much larger, newer house out there for a lot less money. I thought about moving into a small town like you're doing as I think I'd enjoy that but I'm still single and it doesn't make sense without a family.

Best wishes on your move. I think you'll love Colorado. :lol:

Another person that moves out of the state not long after meeting me. :mad:

Good luck selling your current home. North shore is already flooded with homes that aren't selling.

My sister and bro-in-law lived in Denver for 5 years (his business took him there) about 10 years ago. I visited a handful of times. I liked Denver a lot, but where they lived (one of many gated communities) was a little to "cookie-cutter" for me. No "neighborhoods" just house after house after house. And they all looked the same.

Mrs. JScott's sister lives in Ridgway so we've visited there a few time recently and just felt this was the place we wanted to be. We'll be living in a golf course community with views of the mountains all around us. Can't wait.

Another person that moves out of the state not long after meeting me. :mad:

Good luck selling your current home. North shore is already flooded with homes that aren't selling.

If it makes you feel any better I am not going anywhere anytime soon (that I know of.)

ETA: Best of luck JScott. I have always said that if Colorado had an ocean it'd be the best state to live in.

This might be old news to those at TDZ during the FFT blackout, but Mrs. JScott and I will be closing on our new home in Ridgway, CO on June 30th :lol:

Now we just need to sell our current home... anybody!?!?! ;)

"looking for a better lifestyle to raise a family in"

- Guess you never heard of Columbine? Or the riots after the Avs won the cup, or Kobe raping a girl in one of the best resorts in the state? If you think it will be any better for you in CO then Boston, you are in for a rude awaking. There are rude people, bad elected officials, over crowding, and BS pretty much every place worth living in.

That said, best of luck!

Another person that moves out of the state not long after meeting me. :lol:

:lol: Nothing to do with you.

The last few weeks have seen a big upswing in home sales (my aunt is an agent). We have someone who's seen our house 3 times and has told us our house is her #1 choice, but she doesn't want to make a conditional offer as she feels we wouldn't accept it (she's right) so she wants to wait until her house is under agreement. So we've got one on the hook, we just need to reel her in. ;)

That view looks great! A hot tub on the deck, too tight! I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing, except moving to the mid atlantic area. Rude people, too crowded, I don't speak spanish, just getting sick of the bull sh*t. South Florida sucks. :lol:

"looking for a better lifestyle to raise a family in"

- Guess you never heard of Columbine? Or the riots after the Avs won the cup, or Kobe raping a girl in one of the best resorts in the state? If you think it will be any better for you in CO then Boston, you are in for a rude awaking. There are rude people, bad elected officials, over crowding, and BS pretty much every place worth living in.

That said, best of luck!

Thanks for the input. And yes I realize Pleasantville doesn't exist but until you've done a little research into Ridgway, CO (pop. 832) and compare it to Beverly, MA you don't know what you're talking about. You're examples are isolated incidents, I've been having daily craptastic interaction with Bostonians for years and it's nothing compared to the polite, laid back, friendly way of life most people have in the Ridgway area.

That said, thanks for to the good wishes. :lol:

Thanks for the input. And yes I realize Pleasantville doesn't exist but until you've done a little research into Ridgway, CO (pop. 832) and compare it to Beverly, MA you don't know what you're talking about. You're examples are isolated incidents, I've been having daily craptastic interaction with Bostonians for years and it's nothing compared to the polite, laid back, friendly way of life most people have in the Ridgway area.

Hey, I hope it all works out but just remember, No matter where you go, there you are......

:lol: of course this will be the year DBZ finally whips us all into shape and demands a live NEFFL draft... doh!

BEVERLY, MA > everywhere else. ;)

Good luck out there.

And, at least out NEFFL draft is an online draft...

:lol: of course this will be the year DBZ finally whips us all into shape and demands a live NEFFL draft... doh!

That view looks great! A hot tub on the deck, too tight! I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing, except moving to the mid atlantic area. Rude people, too crowded, I don't speak spanish, just getting sick of the bull sh*t. South Florida sucks. :thumbsup:

I know exactly how you're feeling. Luckily for Mrs. JScott and I we don't have any set "roots" in the community. Yes, we're leaving friends and family but we don't have any kids in school and our careers are flexible.

The house looks nice. Has that "cabiny" feel to it. :thumbsup:

Thanks, yeah, I always wanted that sort of Aspen style sky lodge/cabin type house (except ours is smaller than anything in Aspen).

Obviously you will have to take up a winter sport (if you don't have one already).

If you need any info on snowboarding gear - give me a holler. :thumbsup:

Obviously you will have to take up a winter sport (if you don't have one already).

If you need any info on snowboarding gear - give me a holler. :mad:

skiing :thumbsup:

The western slope of Colorado is really great! When I get sick of the crapass winters of the mountains I'll be looking in the same general neighborhood. I think you'll like it!

I flew into Denver once to go skiing. After a weekend of skiing, we drove back down the mountain into Denver and I'll never forget seeing the giant smog cloud hovering over the city. It was amazing... well, not so much amazing as disgusting. :mad:

If you ever go skiing in Colorado - it's good to know that the locals up there do not refer to the giant ski lift as a "Gondola"....

After someone handed me a funny looking cigarrette, I was informed that it's actually called "the Ganjala". :thumbsup:

If you need any info on snowboarding gear - give me a holler. :banana:

I'm a 10 year knuckle dragger :D

Was boarding in Telluride just a few months ago. Then the next day played 18 holes :first:

I flew into Denver once to go skiing. After a weekend of skiing, we drove back down the mountain into Denver and I'll never forget seeing the giant smog cloud hovering over the city. It was amazing... well, not so much amazing as disgusting. :first:

If you ever go skiing in Colorado - it's good to know that the locals up there do not refer to the giant ski lift as a "Gondola"....

After someone handed me a funny looking cigarrette, I was informed that it's actually called "the Ganjala". :banana:

One very cool thing in Telluride is that the Ganjala, that goes from town up into Mtn. Village is actually considered "public transportation". No fees or tickets to purchase. :D

I should have asked YOU for help when I bought MY gear :(

:lol:

I'm going down to South Park, gonna to have myself a time.....

friendly face everywhere...

COLORADO GRIZZLY BEAR NOTICE

In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear conflicts, the Colorado Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while in

the field.

We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with

a bear.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear poop.

Black bear poop is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur.

Grizzly bear poop has little bells in it and smells like pepper.

In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear conflicts, the Colorado Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while in

the field.

We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with

a bear.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear poop.

:blink: :lol: :angry:

the field.

a bear.

:blink:

I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing, except moving to the mid atlantic area. Rude people, too crowded, I don't speak spanish, just getting sick of the bull sh*t. South Florida sucks. :banana:

I have a couple of snow shovels for you. :lol:

Well, you won't be hurting for a view. Wow! :mad:

Thanks, here's a pic (hope this works) of the view off the back of our property during the summer.

Summer view

This might be old news to those at TDZ during the FFT blackout, but Mrs. JScott and I will be closing on our new home in Ridgway, CO on June 30th :first:

Now we just need to sell our current home... anybody!?!?! :wub:

Ska Brewing company down in Durango makes limited runs of a really good beer called Face Plant Ale.

Don't sweat it, you are moving into a beautiful area with a lot of good people.

Ska Brewing company down in Durango makes limited runs of a really good beer called Face Plant Ale.

Don't sweat it, you are moving into a beautiful area with a lot of good people.

I have sampled the Face Plant nectar... it's up there with Magic Hat #9 :first: