Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

NFL Draft Weekend Team Thread: Tennessee Titans

I have a feeling you might be right Portis. Tennessee has had Mcnair who's been able to do things with his feet for so long they might not know what to do with an immobile Qb. I can't wait to see though!

if the Raiders trade up to the #2 spot and take Young - Titans have no choice then go with Leinart.

They'll probably say they wanted Leinart all long anyways

I think they have Young in mind all along or they take a QB after the first round. I hope with Bush dropping out of the 1st spot, the Titans find a way to grab him and a QB later. I doubt they do this, but he's rated too high to not make a play for if he's just one spot away. The Texans' front office is unbelievably foolish--trade the pick or take Bush--how they sign a guy that should be there with the 3rd-5th pick is crazy.

I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve wondering if I'm actually going to get the present I hoped for but never thought would come... <_<

Somebody is going to move up and grab bush @#2. Tennessee is going to have the choice for QB. I hope the front office has done their homework and pick the right guy. Young or Lienart? I actually think both guys will be a solid pick. It's almost time t-minus 2 hours :clap:

NFL network just announced - - - VINCE YOUNG!

Well, I saw my boomer sooners kick his arse 3 out of 4 years. Hope he can step up and play the big games well. Oh yea all NFL games are big. Only time will tell. I will support him though

GO TITANS

I'm suprised Chow didn't get his way.

However I think Young will be the better QB, Leinart is going to be a huge bust.

Yeah, it has to be Young. I'm excited. I'd rather wait a few years with Young than get what we're going to get from Leinart. I'm still hoping for Bush, but can't see how we're going to get him with all the others vying for him.

I'm suprised Chow didn't get his way.

However I think Young will be the better QB, Leinart is going to be a huge bust.

I'm telling you guys, from what I hear Chow isn't that enamored with Leinart. At USC he preferred Matt kassell to Leinart when it came to succeeding Palmer. I think this whole split in the draft room is somewhat of a smoke screen...

I'm telling you guys, from what I hear Chow isn't that enamored with Leinart. At USC he preferred Matt kassell to Leinart when it came to succeeding Palmer. I think this whole split in the draft room is somewhat of a smoke screen...

I've heard that rumor floating around for awhile. Now if his own coordinator isn't thrilled with him, should Leinart be avoided in FF drafts?

Is Mcnair back or still unwanted? That would put Vollek as the opening season starter then wouldn't it?

they really need to trade down and take cutler....that's my best case scenarion...i hear they have been trying to work a deal with the niners to get both their #1s this year...of course that would probably go into effect only if bush was passed at #2...and you almost have to take bush unless someone offers you the house...bush is the best player in this draft hands down..

if they take matt lionheart i am going to drink myself into oblivion at talladega tomorrow :argue: :cry:

Is Mcnair back or still unwanted? That would put Vollek as the opening season starter then wouldn't it?

I think in a short-term perfect world (I'm probably in the minority here, but...) they keep McNair, get Bush, and draft a QB in rounds 3 or 4...

I think McNair is likely gone in any other scenario. I don't think Leinart will be avoided, but I do believe Reggie Bush, the o-line, and Steve Smith (Jarrett to an extent too) made Leinart look better than he is...I still think Leinart is one of the top 3 QBs at this point. I just think he is closer to his ceiling than any of the top QBs.

i feel sorry for the titan fans on the board, clash etc., but i believe you have doomed your franchise to craptastic QB play for a couple years at least. a one read only quarterback is not going to go over so well in the NFL. :argue:

I think this is a good pick for Tennessee. Young is a project but the Titans have a team that is buiding for the future, and they have great coaches in Fisher and Chow to bring him along.

i feel sorry for the titan fans on the board, clash etc., but i believe you have doomed your franchise to craptastic QB play for a couple years at least. a one read only quarterback is not going to go over so well in the NFL. :wacko:

I agree, and the Titans are one of those teams you like to see succeed, after your own team of course.

I think this is a good pick for Tennessee. Young is a project but the Titans have a team that is buiding for the future, and they have great coaches in Fisher and Chow to bring him along.

Unless you buy into the hotseat rumors and they're shown the door after another poor season. Vince won't pay immediate dividends this year for them.

Tenessee Oilers don't deserve Vince, I hope he holds out for tons of $$$$. Although that is not his style. He will be great for them. Vince will make an impact this season, he has a lot to learn and he knows it. Tenessee got the best player in the draft.

:cry:

Tenessee Oilers don't deserve Vince, I hope he holds out for tons of $$$$. Although that is not his style. He will be great for them. Vince will make an impact this season, he has a lot to learn and he knows it. Tenessee got the best player in the draft.

Dude, your guy just got taken ahead of all other QBs. Take it and be happy. This pick is the best possible scenario for both Young and the Titans.

I love this pick and I'm think it's funny people compare Young to Vick. Young is going to be what everyone wanted Vick to be...a passer with devastating running skills.

More on Young...

I ranked my QBs in this order in The Rookie Scouting Portfolio

Cutler 86--I think he'll still grow into the position not as much as Young but enough to be excellent. I think he could potentially score in the 90's if I were to scout him 5 years from now.

Young 85--This score again is based on how he plays now, not how he'll be. Upside is excellent. I think he could wind up scoring close to Cutler in 5 years (in the 90's on my scale).

Leinart 84--I think Leinart's potential would be to be around 88 or 89 in 5 years. I think he's closer to maxing out his skills. This is still a high score and it reflects a guy that should be able to perform at close to an elite level with the right players, but I think a guy in the mid-nineties on my scale is one that doesn't need as much surrounding talent to get to similar heights.

Why I rank Young over Leinart: Young's ceiling of potential is great and his current skills present a high probability that he'll fulfill this promise. The main skill I'm talking about his pocket presence. This guy keeps his eyes downfield when under pressure. He moves in the pocket like a passing QB--slide stepping, head up, and ready to release the ball. This cannot be under-emphasized in the pro game. I know he'll need to learn the offense and work on his drops, but he actually has pretty good mechanics in his drop. I got to watch him drop back enough to be impressed that he won't have huge difficulties here.

Young also demonstrated the ability to go through progressions. He's not great at it in comparison to Leinart or Cutler, but he's not the guy with the brick-like IQ "sources" have made him out to be prior to the draft. While I was hoping for the ultimate prize of Bush, it wasn't too realistic. Young is the best pick for this team. They face some good pass rushing defenses in Indy, Jax, and eventually Houston. Young is going to give these teams fits once he gets it together. I think the Young pick might give the Titans a chance to keep McNair.

I'll have to admit. I wasn't crazy about getting Young but now he's a Titan so I'll pull for him. I question how his style will translate to the NFL but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and feel confident with his ability to lead.

I love this pick and I'm think it's funny people compare Young to Vick. Young is going to be what everyone wanted Vick to be...a passer with devastating running skills.

Congrats Wildman. As most people know, I'm a Young advocate. From a non-Titan fan, looking at your team, he makes the most sense for you. Whether your QB this year is McNair or Volek, Young will sit and learn this year. I look forward to seeing this guy produce in Tennesse.

Dude, your guy just got taken ahead of all other QBs. Take it and be happy. This pick is the best possible scenario for both Young and the Titans.

I just wanted him to go ANYWHERE but tenessee. I would have become a fan of that team. Growing up in Houston, I was and still am upset with the owner for leaving. I needed a team, and the tenessee oilers will never be it.

:thumbsdown:

I am getting over it.

:D

I am happy for Vince. Hold out. Hold out. See what they have done to Air McNair. Make them pay.

Growing up in Houston, I was and still am upset with the owner for leaving.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that angle. Your :thumbsdown: makes more sense now. But it's still :D , and not Vernon Davis manly :cry: either. :P

Oh yeah, I forgot about that angle. Your :mad: makes more sense now. But it's still :mad: , and not Vernon Davis manly :o either. :P

I don't care.

Vince and LenDale in the same backfield?

:banana:

Obviously, not all draft picks live up to their potential, but if these two do, it will be a scary combo.

doesn't TEN still have Brown & Henry?? What, are they going to run and RBBCBC?

I wouldn't worry much about Henry - Brown is a machine 1/2 of the the game - the other half he sits out :thumbsup: . White could make for a great 1-2 punch though! As much as I talked about his man boobs and barely benching more than the kicker - maybe fisher can light a fire under his arse!

God has a sense of humor :thumbsup:

I've been down on White for several weeks--saying he's overrated and there are at least 3-4 backs I'd rather have than him. I projected him as a successful short yardage goal line back if he is coached up and plays hard. I still believe this and as a Titans fan I'm excited that we have someone other than Chris Brown to play the short yardage role and grow into an every down role. It's good for Tennessee because they get a player that can potentially help them control the clock. I'm sure 2 months ago, they never thought White would be there in the middle of the second round.

This has been an exciting two rounds for Tennessee.

I agree Wildman - Vince Young and Lendale White - two out of the best 4 players from the national championship game is incredible! Now just trade Henry and grab a 4th-5th round pick.

I scored White down for two broad reasons:

1. Effort/consistency when it comes to hitting the hole hard and finishing runs off. When he's on, he looks like John Riggins. When he's off, he looks like a fool.

2. Effort/consistency making blocks. He got controlled in the games I saw of him. There are some posts of me and a few others making extensive arguments for/against White and I talk about this in detail.

Good things about him:

1. He rarely fumbles.

2. Great feet to change direction and good short area quickness

3. Vision--sometimes he doesn't realize when to just smash it in there rather than get cute, but it's minor.

4. Good hands. He needs to develop as a route runner.

White in Chow's system is a smart move. When you look at the Titans last year, they actually were competitive in the first half of quite a few games. They were at their best when the running game was controlling the line of scrimmage and giving McNair time to hit receivers. This is one of those moves where White is the short term answer and Young develops into the long term solution to balance out the offense.

so far i think the titans have had a beastly draft...as a jags fan, im worried about the new players under center....well done so far..

not crazy about young, was hoping and praying bush would fall...wanted leinart, but he or young could be a bust or stars, who knows...anyway, love the value getting white at that spot, lots of potential in that guy...so far much happier than last year when I was mighty pissed about the Pac Man Jones pick.....

not crazy about young, was hoping and praying bush would fall...wanted leinart, but he or young could be a bust or stars, who knows...anyway, love the value getting white at that spot, lots of potential in that guy...so far much happier than last year when I was mighty pissed about the Pac Man Jones pick.....

Me too...wanted Rolle something fierce.

Vince had arrived in Nashville Saturday night, wasting no time joining the coaching staff. I'll take that as a good sign. Fischer said they will not rush him into action. I'll say the only way he sees action this year is if Voleck goes down.

I just don't see how McNair can stay here- more than the money issue, he needs a multi year deal, and the Titans just cannot do that with the signing of VY.

If White is indeed upset that he was passed up and went this late, he may well feel the need to show teams they were wrong to pass on him. 24 TDs and no fumbles last year? Titan's had 8 rushing TDs last year.

This guy has the potential to make an impact, this year.

I'm pretty excited about day one.

Brandon Orr is an interesting pick. Physically, he's a 1st day player. He blocks well, too. He's a guy the WR's coach Ray Sherman should have fun trying to develop into a contributor.