Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

NFL Draft Weekend Team Thread: Dallas Cowboys

I do care. And so does the rest of America.

Here's whats likely to happen

1) Boys take Sinorice Moss- Parcells adds youth a to a older group of WR. Terry Glen Jr. ?

2) Best real case scenario-Boys take Winston Justice- Probably will be gone, but that O-line could use help, there is a reason Bush and Lindale had those big holes to run thru.

3) Best surreal case scenario Jay Cutler Should be gone by the time they pick but I have seen mock drafts where he falls even into the 20's. Parcells may not like it but Jerry will push hard for this one if he is there.

The Cowboys won't take any of those three. Count on either a DE/LB hybrid or a trade down.

I agree - Cowboys wont go offense - except maybe Culter one of those OLBs - Lawson or Wimberly

I agree - Cowboys wont go offense - except maybe Culter one of those OLBs - Lawson or Wimberly

Manny Lawson, if he's still available. 'boys defense could become dominate this season.

Parcells likes defense, no doubt, so Lawson may look good to him and it won't surprise me if he is taken but you already have drafted defensive the past years with Spears, Ware, Terence, Roy W, etc. Its time to liven up that O.

the more I think about it, the more I like Carpenter as a fit for that OLB spot. I'm not sure Lawson would be a good fit since he'd be just like Ware - a converted DE whose strength is speed rush... but who would have to learn the other aspects of being a standup LB in the 3-4, such as coverage and playing the run. Carpenter has an head start on those aspects, and can still add a little passrush as well.

I'm just sayin that while it WOULD be scary to have two nasty converted fast DEs as your two OLBs is a dangerous proposition since ya just don't pin your ears back and blitz every play.

The part of this that really bugs me is that if things had worked out better with Kevin Burnett, this wouldn't be a problem... I can still remember when they picked him, I hadn't really heard much about him before, so I looked up his scouting report online and the first blurb was "good potential, but has trouble staying on the field"... how true that was.

Last year the Cowboys were ideally situated to sit tight. This year, its the opposite. They would be better to trade either up or down. If they trade to about pick 10-12 they can get Ngata to anchor the middle of the defensive line. If they trade out of the 1st round to the 30's they can get Gabe Watson, who is the only other pure NT in the first day. Likewise the need at OL could be best met in 25-40 range. The one true 1st round WR is more a low 20's pick than at 18, and the raft of superior defensive backs also go 6 to 15 picks later, except Jimmy Williams, who goes about 5 picks early.

I think they make a move depending on who goes where. Jones and Parcells will have two or three players targeted, and slotted as to where they will go.

J

i thought Dallas was looking for a Safety to pair with Roy Williams?

most recent insider stuff I've seen online:

if the right player is available at 18 Dallas will trade back into the

20's with KC/Tampa/Jags/Jets and are looking at Bobby Carpenter

or a couple others there. Would pick up a 3rd round pick, unless

it's KC's 20th pick then we'd get a 5+6.

the more I think about it, the more I like Carpenter as a fit for that OLB spot. I'm not sure Lawson would be a good fit since he'd be just like Ware - a converted DE whose strength is speed rush... but who would have to learn the other aspects of being a standup LB in the 3-4, such as coverage and playing the run. Carpenter has an head start on those aspects, and can still add a little passrush as well.

I'm just sayin that while it WOULD be scary to have two nasty converted fast DEs as your two OLBs is a dangerous proposition since ya just don't pin your ears back and blitz every play.

The part of this that really bugs me is that if things had worked out better with Kevin Burnett, this wouldn't be a problem... I can still remember when they picked him, I hadn't really heard much about him before, so I looked up his scouting report online and the first blurb was "good potential, but has trouble staying on the field"... how true that was.

Agree with everything you said here. If you look at the old Giants LB corps, you had LT one outside spot (Ware), and you had Carl Banks on the other. Carpenter (or Greenway) fits more in the Banks role than one of the DE/LB pass rushers like Lawson or Wimbley.

Add in the fact that Carpenter's dad played for Parcells way back in the day and Tuna's penchant for nepotism, and I can't imagine that anyone else will be the pick.

Roy Williams just said on radio that Cowbpoys are adding their front seven. Carpenter or Wimbley? This better produce a top 5 defense for the next 10 years. Whitner is a shot here as well. I say take Justice if still there.

Cowgirls...last in the NFC East. Congrats.

Are you posting in here because you are bored? Or is the Redskin thread just too crowded? :(

Well, we can rule out Wimberly. I figured the Eagles would grab him before us, but now he is a Brown. You can also rule out Whitner thanks to the long reaching arms of the Buffalo Bills.

This is what I thnk happens now, one of 3 things.....

1. Dallas takes Manny Lawson

2. Dallas takes the LB Carpenter

3. Dallas trades down for more picks.

Either way, I them taking a OL with their 2nd pick.

**EDIT**

I didn't think that Justice would really fall this far. He is also a very real possibility now. Unless someone just makes them an awesome offer to move up.

Wow. Carpenter just broke into the first round two weeks ago in many mocks. A week ago I listed him as my realistic expectation for mah Panthers. Great pick for the Cowboys. :doublethumbsup:

I'm happy. Solid player who will more in-likely start on the outside opposite of Ware. Looking forward to seeing what OL we take with our 2nd pick.

:doublethumbsup:

Winston Justice = Oline starter for USC as a freshman.

Bobby Carpenter = 2nd best LB on his own college team.

nuff said. bad pick.

nuff said. bad pick.

Explain why Justice keeps falling?

Don't get me wrong, I like Justice's potential. But there has to be a reason he continues to slide. Does not make any sense at this point other than something is wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I like Justice's potential. But there has to be a reason he continues to slide. Does not make any sense at this point other than something is wrong.

Work ethic.

Do we know who that 2nd player was to test positive?

nuff said. bad pick.

Tell that to FWP and Lord Mighty Samkon Gado. NFL does not equal NCAA.

Do we know who that 2nd player was to test positive?

Could be him. Could explain why he is dropping like a rock. 2 weeks ago, this guy was supposed to be a top 10 pick.

Tell that to FWP and Lord Mighty Samkon Gado. NFL does not equal NCAA.

I hope you're right. I'm kind of tired of that stupid 3/4 defense "can't get enough LB's" mumbo jumbo. Good grief, why play a defense where one position is a black hole?

Of course, this all means Carpenter will be an All Pro and Justice will flop. :rolleyes:

Can you say trade? Moved down to Jets' spot. Maybe not a bad move. There are 3-4 guys I like here so we can add a pick and still get somebody.