Sign in to follow this  
Mack 1

Question for those with "green thumbs:"

The grass seeds I planted several weeks ago have started to sprout, but the growth is very spotty. There are patches of grass here, but none there. Looks pretty bad.

Can I simply add more seeds and continue watering, or do I have to lay top soil, fertilizer, seeds, and do everything all over again? This is crucial because if this seeding thing doesn't work, I'm just gonna go out and buy sod, but the downside to that is it must be done before long due to summer being around the corner.

Help!!

signed,

Gardener Neophyte

i think this is more of a 'brown thumb' crowd...

:thumbsdown:

sorry mack, the only plant I know much about is my venus fly trap, kyle. :thumbsdown:

The grass seeds I planted several weeks ago have started to sprout, but the growth is very spotty. There are patches of grass here, but none there. Looks pretty bad.

Can I simply add more seeds and continue watering, or do I have to lay top soil, fertilizer, seeds, and do everything all over again? This is crucial because if this seeding thing doesn't work, I'm just gonna go out and buy sod, but the downside to that is it must be done before long due to summer being around the corner.

Help!!

signed,

Gardener Neophyte

Not sure what kind of seed you put down or method, but most bags come as a mix/blend of different grasses. A rye grass is going to come up before a bluegrass for example, so you don't necessarily have to worry. It could be that the early grasses are coming up and they offer protection for the late bloomers.

One thing to note is how the seeds were dispersed. Sometimes, when you get a very heavy watering and you have just spread seed on the ground (as opposed to rolling it or slice seeding), the water can cause the seed to pool in certain areas. This gives you a situation where you have patches of grass and patches of bare ground. If that is the case, wait a little longer for all of the seed to sprout and then overseed again to fill in the bare areas.

The reality is that a single planting is not going to leave you with a lush lawn. It takes some overseeding and time to fill in. HTH.

Ok, here's what you do... put the plants in ceramic pots with good fertilizer. Keep the lights on 24/7 for about a month and a half. Then go 12 hours lights on and 12 hours lights off for another month and a half... while weeding out all of the male plants.

After that... you do the hippy lettuce banana dance. :unsure:

:hey, it worked in college: :dunno:

Not sure what kind of seed you put down or method, but most bags come as a mix/blend of different grasses. A rye grass is going to come up before a bluegrass for example, so you don't necessarily have to worry. It could be that the early grasses are coming up and they offer protection for the late bloomers.

One thing to note is how the seeds were dispersed. Sometimes, when you get a very heavy watering and you have just spread seed on the ground (as opposed to rolling it or slice seeding), the water can cause the seed to pool in certain areas. This gives you a situation where you have patches of grass and patches of bare ground. If that is the case, wait a little longer for all of the seed to sprout and then overseed again to fill in the bare areas.

The reality is that a single planting is not going to leave you with a lush lawn. It takes some overseeding and time to fill in. HTH.

Thanks dude.

For the record, I used a mixed blend of seeds for shade and sun.

So you're saying if I re-seed, I can simply put more seeds down without having to include top soil, agitate the ground and all that sh!t?

Thanks dude.

For the record, I used a mixed blend of seeds for shade and sun.

So you're saying if I re-seed, I can simply put more seeds down without having to include top soil, agitate the ground and all that sh!t?

Yup. The seed will grow without mixing it. If you have a very small area to cover, I would recommend the Scott's Patchmaster. It has seed, mulch, and fertilizer mixed together with a consistency like insulation.

If you have a larger area, just overseed and put Starter fertilizer down. Keep watering it (twice a day) and you should see additional growth in 10-20 days.

Yup. The seed will grow without mixing it. If you have a very small area to cover, I would recommend the Scott's Patchmaster. It has seed, mulch, and fertilizer mixed together with a consistency like insulation.

this is true that patchmaster works awesome.

Where most people mess up is the way they throw the seed down. I read once that a seed has to be touched on 3 sides by dirt for it to properly grow. Dunno.

Where most people mess up is the way they throw the seed down. I read once that a seed has to be touched on 3 sides by dirt for it to properly grow. Dunno.

It helps if it is down in the ground, but it is not a necessity. It helps because the seeds won't blow away, don't get dried up too quickly, and are not moved by heavy watering.

Slice seeding > rolling > throwing it down

If you have a larger area, just overseed and put Starter fertilizer down. Keep watering it (twice a day) and you should see additional growth in 10-20 days.

Last weekend I did some overseeding too. About 3 weeks ago I put down Step 1 of Scotts. Can I now also put down some Starter Fertilizer?

Grass never sprouts evenly. What you're getting sounds normal.

Sure, throw down more seed Sprinkle some soil on top or press the seeds down onto the soil a bit, like with a roller or something.

Last weekend I did some overseeding too. About 3 weeks ago I put down Step 1 of Scotts. Can I now also put down some Starter Fertilizer?

Oh crap, you didn't put down TurfBuilder with HALTS, did you?

That stuff will prevent seed germination.

Oh crap, you didn't put down TurfBuilder with HALTS, did you?

That stuff will prevent seed germination.

Could have been (it was the blue topped bag) but I don't remember the crabgrass preventer part on the bag. :pointstosky:

Could have been (it was the blue topped bag) but I don't remember the crabgrass preventer part on the bag. :pointstosky:

Well, what's done is done anyways. We can only hope it was just regular TurfBuilder.

Well, what's done is done anyways. We can only hope it was just regular TurfBuilder.

True. As long as it doesn't make it worse or brown it out.

I will say this, maybe it's the weather or whatever, but now is the time for stage 2. I'm a little behind the curve even though it says stage 1 can be put down from Mar 22 to May 1. Late April is really a good time for stage 2 because that's when I got most of the dandelions.

Could have been (it was the blue topped bag) but I don't remember the crabgrass preventer part on the bag. :lol:

You are probably f'd. The blue top bag is with Halts. That is crabgrass preventer, which also stops new germination. Suggest you wait about 6 weeks before throwing any more seed down just in case. They used to have a Starter fertilizer with Halts, but that seemed to get very poor germination that I think that they don't make it anymore.

I'm currently putting down the Kentucky bluegrass Patchmaster. It had me worried for awhile there. It says 1-2 weeks before you will see growth. Watered it twice a day every day for two weeks and on about the 12th day I saw some green and it's looking great now. :lol: Highly recommended but you have to be vigilant with the watering.

You are probably f'd. The blue top bag is with Halts. That is crabgrass preventer, which also stops new germination. Suggest you wait about 6 weeks before throwing any more seed down just in case. They used to have a Starter fertilizer with Halts, but that seemed to get very poor germination that I think that they don't make it anymore.

Dagnabit :D

This happeend to me. The watering let alot of the seeds "pool" into one area. It is now groing very nicely, and I will fill in the rest this coming week. Not a big deal. Just throw more/extra seed in the bare patches. Maybe "push" the seeds into the dirt a bit with your hand. Then water as usual.

Sometimes I sprinkle some extra top soil over it to keep them in place.

Thanks, folks, for your input. We're expecting rain the next couple days here in Motown, so I think now's the time to get going. Thanks.

Thanks, folks, for your input. We're expecting rain the next couple days here in Motown, so I think now's the time to get going. Thanks.

Glad I could help.

I put down seed, than cover it with soil, it sprouts up within 4 days if I soak it twice a day.