Sign in to follow this  
NewbieJr

***Official World Cup Soccer thread***

Just a few more days. I'm psyched!

My daughter's coach is leaving tomorrow to see it live. Lucky bastard.

For those who follow soccer, how do you think our guys will fare?

They have a tough draw, but I can see them getting to the quarterfinals.

I GUARANTEE they will play at least 3 games.

Hey newbie, check out this book I bought yesterday. I started reading it this morning.

prognosis negative.

Based on what?

More than any sport in the world.

HTH

I thought basketball already passed soccer, and other sports were getting closer to jumping ahead.

I thought basketball already passed soccer, and other sports were getting closer to jumping ahead.

Nothing is more widley watched in the world than the World Cup, not even the olympics.

I haven' heard that. I heard recently that teh World Cup is watched more, glabally, than the Olympics, Super Bowl. and World Series, combined.

Hey newbie, check out this book I bought yesterday. I started reading it this morning.

I haven't read a book in fifteen years, but that sounds pretty interesting. Let me know how it is.

I really hope the US does well. But even if the US wins it, I still don't think Americans will ever completely take to the sport. Which is strange, since so many of us played it as kids, and so many of our kids play it.

Based on what?

their style of play. they play like i did in high school. Americanized crap. they can't compete at this level yet. i'm surely rootin' for 'em, but it's gonna be rough. basically, it's like other countries playing us in NFL football. ;)

I really hope the US does well. But even if the US wins it, I still don't think Americans will ever completely take to the sport. Which is strange, since so many of us played it as kids, and so many of our kids play it.

I think it's big with kids because you don't really have to be coordinated to go out there chase the ball around. Even if your kid sucks at sports, he can still go out there and get some excersize. Once they get older, the more athletic kids switch to baseball, basketball and football.

Soccer as a spectator sport is pretty dull, IMO. I don't really understand why other countries find it so appealing.

But what the heck: USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! ;)

I think it's big with kids because you don't really have to be coordinated to go out there chase the ball around. Even if your kid sucks at sports, he can still go out there and get some excersize. Once they get older, the more athletic kids switch to baseball, basketball and football.

Soccer as a spectator sport is pretty dull, IMO. I don't really understand why other countries find it so appealing.

But what the heck: USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! :rolleyes:

It is true that soccer is a sport where 5 and 6 year olds can learn the basics. It's a lot easier to kick a ball than it is to dribble one, or hit one with a bat. It also is a sport where there won't be a lot of contact like football.

I would argue the point you made about teh "more athletic kids" stop playing soccer and move to baseball, basketball, or football.

Soccer takes an extreme amount of athletism. You see many, many more fat kids playing baseball and football than you do soccer.

You can make the argument that it takes a lot of athletism to play basketball, but the two sports rarely conflict, time-wise. Many kids play both.

Nothing is more widley watched in the world than the World Cup, not even the olympics.

I mean in overall popularity. There are many countries were basketball is more popular than soccer. I thought that I had read that in overall popularity, basketball has passed soccer.

But for an event like World Cup, soccer is likely to surpass the NBA finals or Olympic basketball in interest.

It is true that soccer is a sport where 5 and 6 year olds can learn the basics. It's a lot easier to kick a ball than it is to dribble one, or hit one with a bat. It also is a sport where there won't be a lot of contact like football.

I would argue the point you made about teh "more athletic kids" stop playing soccer and move to baseball, basketball, or football.

Soccer takes an extreme amount of athletism. You see many, many more fat kids playing baseball and football than you do soccer.

You can make the argument that it takes a lot of athletism to play basketball, but the two sports rarely conflict, time-wise. Many kids play both.

One of the few sports fat kids do not play is soccer. ;)

I mean in overall popularity. There are many countries were basketball is more popular than soccer. I thought that I had read that in overall popularity, basketball has passed soccer.

But for an event like World Cup, soccer is likely to surpass the NBA finals or Olympic basketball in interest.

in which country, other than the US, is basketball more popular than soccer?

One of the few sports fat kids do not play is soccer. ;)

the goalies in pee wee leagues are usually the fat kid.

I don't know specific names. I am relying on my memory. But most of Europe. Parts of South American and Asia. Of course, North America.

It's driven by kids. There are big fans of the basketball players, and as a result, are playing the sport themselves. The NBA did a decent job of marketing for a long period of time, especially with Michael Jordan. But with international stars like Yao Ming, Pau Gasol, Dirk Nowitzki, Tony Parker, etc, the NBA is a global sport more than ever.

If I am relying on erroneous information, then I am wrong. No big deal.

;)

That is true. In small-sided leagues, the goals are usually very small. The fat kids are basically put there as "walls".

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that soccer players aren't skilled athletes. I can see where you got that from my post, though. The major sports in our country are football, baseball, and basketball, so most kids choose to play those sports when they develop the motor skills to do so. Or it might be more accurate to say their parents push them toward those sports. Not many American dads dream of their kids playing professional soccer.

I don't know specific names. I am relying on my memory. But most of Europe. Parts of South American and Asia. Of course, North America.

It's driven by kids. There are big fans of the basketball players, and as a result, are playing the sport themselves. The NBA did a decent job of marketing for a long period of time, especially with Michael Jordan. But with international stars like Yao Ming, Pau Gasol, Dirk Nowitzki, Tony Parker, etc, the NBA is a global sport more than ever.

If I am relying on erroneous information, then I am wrong. No big deal.

huh. it may be, with respect to the kids. although i highly doubt that most of Europe is more into basketball than soccer. the professional b-ball leagues vs. the pro soccer leagues are like the soccer leagues here vs. the NFL.

All I know is when I was growing up we called the kids who play soccer, "Soccer F@gs"

But times they are a changing and I noticed more and more kids playing soccer. I guess it fits in perfectly with the everybody win mentality of most parents. Final score 1-1 Yeahhhhhh nobody loses.

pee wee leagues? :clap:

I was talking about soccer, not 20 kids running to the ball at the same time and trying to kick it.

pee wee leagues? :D

I was talking about soccer, not 20 kids running to the ball at the same time and trying to kick it.

that's great! :clap:

All I know is when I was growing up we called the kids who play soccer, "Soccer F@gs"

But times they are a changing and I noticed more and more kids playing soccer. I guess it fits in perfectly with the everybody win mentality of most parents. Final score 1-1 Yeahhhhhh nobody loses.

I played soccer for 2 years as a kid. In 2 years we won one game, and tied another. The rest we lost. :clap: I don't know if any different today, but there sure were winners and losers back then.

I don't get soccer, it bores me to death.

That being said, I hope we do well. :clap:

That book looks interesteing. Let us know how it is.

I'm not sure how US will do and from what I keep reading I don't think it matters because Brazil is going to smash everyone. I'm looking forward to that watching that team play. They are supposed to be better then the heavily favored Brazil team that won it last time.

I think that this stems from the fact that they are both fall sports in American schools. So, the kids who play soccer aren't playing football, which everyone knows is a very tough sport, from a contact standpoint.

Wrestlers often refer to basketball players as phags, too, since they are both winter sports and you have to play one or the other.

I think that if soccer competed with baseball for the same high school athletes instead of football, you wouldn't hear that "phag" stuff as much.

This World Cup reminds me of last world cup. I was living with a hot 20 year old chick that was brazilian. I was collecting unemployment and bartending 20 - 30 hours a week under the table, and I was a doing way too many drugs, but god I was having a great focking time.

I played competetive soccer up until college. I got burnt out and opted out of playing in college. I can see how people who have not played and do not understand the game can find it boring. I find the MLS only mildly amusing. The level of of play in the MLS is just not what it is in other leagues around the world. That being said I think that the World Cup is the greatest and most exciting sporting event in the world. I went to the games in MI when the world cup was in the US and it was unbelievable.

I think the US team is getting better but still not ready to be an elite team. They do have a half way decent shot at making it the second round though.

I played competetive soccer up until college. I got burnt out and opted out of playing in college. I can see how people who have not played and do not understand the game can find it boring. I find the MLS only mildly amusing. The level of of play in the MLS is just not what it is in other leagues around the world. That being said I think that the World Cup is the greatest and most exciting sporting event in the world. I went to the games in MI when the world cup was in the US and it was unbelievable.

I think the US team is getting better but still not ready to be an elite team. They do have a half way decent shot at making it the second round though.

Same here. I stopped a couple years after high school.. I played U-19 and played indoor soccer till I was like 22. I don't enjoy watching on TV, unless it's the world cup or very competitive european soccer. I have been to a couple MLS games and had a very good time though. I always get a kick out of watching the world cup at bars, where other people don't have the slightest idea of the rules.

I think that this stems from the fact that they are both fall sports in American schools. So, the kids who play soccer aren't playing football, which everyone knows is a very tough sport, from a contact standpoint.

Wrestlers often refer to basketball players as phags, too, since they are both winter sports and you have to play one or the other.

I think that if soccer competed with baseball for the same high school athletes instead of football, you wouldn't hear that "phag" stuff as much.

In my High School soccer was a spring sport. Not sure if it still is or not. :banana:

In my High School soccer was a spring sport. Not sure if it still is or not. B)

Fall for me and I think fall for most in high school

There is spring youth soccer and fall youth soccer.

Wrestlers often refer to basketball players as phags, too

I don't thing wrestlers are in any position to be calling other athletes phags.

In my High School soccer was a spring sport. Not sure if it still is or not. B)

Really? I know that club teams play in the spring and fall.

In New Jersey and Pennsylvania, boys soccer is always in the fall.

Girls soccer is in the spring, because they play field hockey in the fall.

Center passes to wing!

Wing passes back to center!

Center passes back to wing!

HOLDING!

HOLDING!

HOLDING!

Center passes to wing!

Center passes back to wing!

HOLDING!

HOLDING!

HOLDING!

That's pretty funny. did you just think of that?