Sign in to follow this  
Franknbeans

Who has the best fantasy mag out there this season?

I personally don't buy them but if I were to break down and buy one for a light read, which would you recommend and why?

I feel the Index is the best. They do have some crazy predictions, such as tatum bell as the breakout player from last years edition, but hey they went out on a limb. They get info from top sites and individuals who study this ###### inside and out. Besides it's great shitter material.

do the mags have idp rankings in them now? Havn't bought one in a few years and they didn't back then.

I realize that all of them are outdated the moment it hits the newsstand, but don't get NFL.com fantasy mag. It sucks.

The thing I look for in a FF magazine is number of years listed for each player's historical stats. The more the better.

Come draft day, it's handy dandy.

Fanstay Football Weekly ( aka Fanball )

Just looks nice , a little funny , and nice reports.

Very funny. TE #20 is The King...as in Burger King.

Footballguys mag is good.

<_< I buy 1 mag a year, just because I'm weak.

And that's the one.

:thumbsup:

Just picked up the Index, so I can't tell you what it's like this year. But it's the only mag I buy anymore.

And they took Alexander for the cover instead of Bell this year. Between this and the Madden curse, you'd better pass on him.

Fantasy Sports is the magazine I like the best. It has auction values for $200 cap with 18 roster spots and 12 teams, which is very close to our league plus it lists values for 90 RB's and 90 WR's. The depth of players in the magazine is huge!

Am I like the only guy who gets like ten of them. I have Grogan's, Pro football weekly, SportingNews Fantasy football, Fantasy league football................

I read all of them and then kind of form my own opinion.

Am I like the only guy who gets like ten of them. I have Grogan's, Pro football weekly, SportingNews Fantasy football, Fantasy league football................

which is...

Except for a couple of typos and errors in numbers, the content in Footballguys.com is pretty good.

There's alot of garbage out there with no different material from each other but Footballguys have some unique sections. Good formatting too - I'd even recommend over Index which I've advertised in the past!

which is...

For instance lets take last year. Every mag had different players being sleepers or sure things and they had similar stratigies and different ones on drafting so I read them all and one thing kept jumping out at me. A lot of the mags were saying the same thing about Steve Smith. Looks off the charts at mini camps, looks like he hasn't lost a step, check his numbers before the injury, and so on. So I took him............. in the 5th round!!!!!!!!!!!! Made my draft. Did I win all five of my leagues? No but it was my first year and I won one of them and scored the most points in another (which is how I measure who has the best team for the year) and I didn't look bad in any of my leagues. Can they all be wrong about somebody? Yeah just ask Culpep but it helps to get more then one opinion.

Those magazines are all worthless. By the time they hit the news stand, the info is a week old.

Come here. Print out what you want. Much better, more accurate info from people who are usually more informed than the writers at the magazine.

A lot of magazine writers are sports writers and not necissarily fantasy football writers. I was writing for a site, I wont name names, and the guy running the site knew very little about fantasy football, just about pro football. I never trust magazines.......

Most mags' rankings are similar, but some in depth reads are better than others. This season, Ive picked up Pro Foreceast, ESPN, Lindy's issue, Pro Football Weekly, and another that Ive loaned out, but ive found Pro Foreceast and Pro Football Weekly the 2 best. ESPN has by far the deepest rankings. So, if youre in a large 12 or 14 team league, youd appreciated their rankings which go 150 deep at WR and 115 deep at RB. ESPN's mock draft is worthless, and alot of their insight is equally worthless, but its pretty entertaining as far as fantasy mags go.

I bought Footballguys because it was the only one that I saw that had an offensive line article. It also has a lot of IDP stuff, if you are in that type of league.

Bottomline is if you are relying on fantasy mags for info. on draft day you might as well write off your league entrance fee as a donation to charity if your league is fairly competitive. Up to the minute online info. is the way to go. I'd assume most people who frequent this site already know this.

However, mags do have a place in initial research. I like to read about potential sleepers/bust picks and I also like to read the player summaries to read about offseason info. I may have missed (injuries, surgeries, contracts, legal issues) The Fantasy Football Index annually provides a good read and I especially like the fact that they take the rankings of multiple publications and compare them side by side. They even come up with an "overrall" rankings from the avg. of all the mags.

Toilet reading ammo and then I shelve it by August 1st. ;)

I have always read the Fantasy Football Index and am now glad our site is featured in the experts poll. I also think that Fantasy Football Pro Forecast is a pretty good read too. Call me old fashioned, but July on the beach with a fantasy football magazine is just not complete.

Ten? I used to buy about 15 but now since we've switched to an auction format, I'm only looking for mags with auction values that are close to what are league rules consist of.

I'm up to about 10 or 11, footballguys is definitely the best, havent opened index yet.

ps. any of the mags with the really good 12 team "Serpintine Drafts are valuable. I love how they now print the commentary pick by pick, that is a nice feature when doing draft prep.

I buy instead of a magazine the draft guide at www.pigskinaddiction.com.....its about the same price and comes with and update and the material is top notch....very funny stuff in it too

The draft guide at www.pigskinaddiction.com is probally my favorite along with Football Guys, ESPN , Football index and Fanball. I buy those for summer reading. Take them on vacation and such. If you enjoy reading then its OK to buy these mags. Generally speaking they are outdated as they are printed in Early June but its still enjoyig to read on the lounge in your yard on a nice July day or on the Throne. Ever try to take your PC to the bathrrom with you. I also bring these with me on vacation for Hotel down time and they have saved me many a summer day when the Wife drags me to Kohls for her 2 hour shopping sprees. Sit in the car and the time flys.

Pikskin guide. - Alot of pages, comes by PDF to your Email ( download) and it i in late July so it is up to date .

ESPN - They review every player .they will give there analysis of like 150 rb;s not just the top 20 .and entertaining articles.

Football Guys and Index - Loads of articles that are about strategy and analysis . The best reads. Can take a week to read these.

Fanball - Always the most entertaining and funny. Not alot of substance but always the one I search out when I want a quick update.

The othere stink.

Well except I think It was Doghouse football which was a mix of Playboy and Fantasy Football. EVery page had a hot woman on it in almost naked. I may buy that again but I dont recomend that one in the bathroom.

Here is last years mag . http://www.dffl.com/magazine.html

and some of the girls who were in last years mag http://www.dffl.com/girls.html

The NFL.om is horid . Sporting news is Boring ( And they rank players by name , I hate that)

The Rest are just ok ,last year I bought 12 and decided that I would stick with just these few.

football guys.com is a good read they explain value based drafting and thier insights on players is great, I recommend it over the others, fanball is not that bad either

Well I just downloaded my draft guide from www.pigskinaddiction.com great stuff.....I also bought a magazine in case I finish reading the guide on the plane to NEw Mexico this weekend....I bought fantasy football draft book....I guess its from footballdiehards.com they are plastered all over it....I frequent there forums so I picked it up....So far so good....nice long interview with Alexander...It looks nice lots of full color pages and write up on players....

Fantasy football Index. Spend all summer reading jsut ot get a base and refresh myself on who went were, then begin the real research in august via the internet.

Well I just downloaded my draft guide from www.pigskinaddiction.com great stuff.....

I just checked them out..

On last years dont draft list

Chris Chambers, Steve Smith, and San Moss :pointstosky: :D

I just checked them out..

On last years dont draft list

Chris Chambers, Steve Smith, and San Moss :P :P

Yeah your point....going into last season I wouldnt have drafted them either.... :pointstosky:

Yeah your point....going into last season I wouldnt have drafted them either.... :D

Fact is they have a great draft guide....I also dont recall to many mags or sites pimping any of those guys last year....if you want some good reading and good info there draft guide is very very good....nobody is 100% accurate

ESPN fantasy mag sucks.

I got Pro Football Weekly, it's okay, but they need to list the player profiles in their ranking order.

I also got Pro Football Forecast, it's pretty good.

To me they are perfect for taking to work and killing time all night....any other time you're just sitting around doing a whole lot of nothing....it's also fun to break out the old ones and see who was right and wrong....it's funny to see Terrell Davis ranked #1 Barry Sanders #2.....memories.

Yeah your point....going into last season I wouldnt have drafted them either.... :pointstosky:

Fact is they have a great draft guide....I also dont recall to many mags or sites pimping any of those guys last year....if you want some good reading and good info there draft guide is very very good....nobody is 100% accurate

Well its one thing to not have them on your do not draft list.. BUt to absolutely rip them like they did is funny.

Yeah I know no one is 100% accurate, but those certainly do stand out.

Also everything I was reading was good on Steve Smith and I was very high on him. S. Moss not so much, and Chambers not so much. But S. Smith yes.. Looks what Mushy did as the only good wr the year before. He went nuts.. lst year Smith was the only good wr.. makes sense to me

Screw the magazines. Your best source for fantasy football is www.fftoday.com :mad:

I have always like Fantasy Pro Forecast...it's my favorite.

Magazines are actually very valuable tools......until NFL training camps start. Use them up until that point to get some base like someone said, and then do everything from the training camps on via the internet.

This may be blasphemous, but I like footballguys.com's magazine. I just picked it up randomly and it had some good stuff. Seriously though, nothing compares to FFToday's site. That crank scores stuff is gold.

This may be blasphemous, but I like footballguys.com's magazine. I just picked it up randomly and it had some good stuff. Seriously though, nothing compares to FFToday's site. That crank scores stuff is gold.

I was a premium member of there site for about 4 yearsor so even back when they were the Asylum very good content....but this year they have gotten a bit out of hand pricing and all...it drove mw away....they have recently lowered prices but... I got no update about early bird or anything after all these years with them....just got me a bit upset....i doubt I go back....I still visit the forums....