Sign in to follow this  
TIKI-BARBERS-BARBER

I'm Telling You Guys That Eli Manning Is This Years Palmer

I was on the money about Palmer last year as others on here and I see Eli stepping up this year being the closest thing to Palmer last year. He will be alot more mature this year and with a very good rb in Tiki and all the weapons he has now since they added the speedy Moss which was a steal from where they got him at Manning will be top ten easily. I'm actually thinking top 5.

One thing I've noticed about Eli (don't know if it matters or not), but he seldom throws a pretty ball. I've seen a ton of his highlights on NFL Network, and he rarely throws a perfect spiral that doesn't wobble.

Eli looked great early in the year, but down the stretch he looked pretty awful. He was really off the mark with a lot of his passes. He was actually sailing them over the 6'6" Plaxico Burress.

He really needs to improve his accuracy in order to see a big improvement in his game this season. The Eagles, Redskins and Cowboys defenses should all be difficult ones and he has to face them all of them twice.

If he finished strong last season I'd be more enthusiastic aout him, but I'm not so sure this is the year he really emerges.

The Giants have the toughest (maybe 2nd to the Bengals) schedule this season. Eli has not shown me any flashes of greatness and still looks scared in the pocket. I really think he will struggle this season.

The Giants have the toughest (maybe 2nd to the Bengals) schedule this season. Eli has not shown me any flashes of greatness and still looks scared in the pocket. I really think he will struggle this season.

Yeah, he would be a decent back up, but I would not want him as my starting QB. The guy's completion percentage is pretty crappy for all the talent he has around him.

I was on the money about Palmer last year as others on here and I see Eli stepping up this year being the closest thing to Palmer last year. He will be alot more mature this year and with a very good rb in Tiki and all the weapons he has now since they added the speedy Moss which was a steal from where they got him at Manning will be top ten easily. I'm actually thinking top 5.

congratulations! You're the 274th person to nominate him as such!

:P

I fear the hype. He was my 6th--8th round target and now that the masses have been talking him up all offseason, it can't be long before his ADP exceeds his value...

There's still a chance of him sliding under some folk's radar, but as magazines start to hit the presses I can see MiniManning going in the 3rd-5th now. :lol:

He's the worst kept secret in FFB right now and I doubt I'll be able to draft him where I want.

He finished fourth last year, so I don't think this is really big news.

i agree, you wont find many who DONT have him in their top 10 (like me), and a lot of people have him top 5. if you want him to be this year's palmer, then youre calling him the #1 fantasy QB. and i dont think youre ready to do that.

eli will struggle this year. he has a very rough schedule, and defenses were adjusting to him down the stretch last season. he will have some good games, but he will go through growing pains. you could do worse with a fantasy starter, but you could do much better too.

congratulations! You're the 274th person to nominate him as such!

:P

I fear the hype. He was my 6th--8th round target and now that the masses have been talking him up all offseason, it can't be long before his ADP exceeds his value...

There's still a chance of him sliding under some folk's radar, but as magazines start to hit the presses I can see MiniManning going in the 3rd-5th now. :lol:

He's the worst kept secret in FFB right now and I doubt I'll be able to draft him where I want.

And to think I was one of the few that stuck up for you here. It is all good and good to hear from you again.

Eli looked great early in the year, but down the stretch he looked pretty awful. He was really off the mark with a lot of his passes. He was actually sailing them over the 6'6" Plaxico Burress.

He really needs to improve his accuracy in order to see a big improvement in his game this season. The Eagles, Redskins and Cowboys defenses should all be difficult ones and he has to face them all of them twice.

If he finished strong last season I'd be more enthusiastic aout him, but I'm not so sure this is the year he really emerges.

great write up kilroy i feel the sameway.I had him in 4 of my leagues and he scared me with that 2nd half.

Eli's completion percentage :( If he doesn't improve that he will never sniff Palmer's jock.

I realize this is a mock draft, but I was shocked when Brady, Palmer and then Eli went 5.04, 5.05 and 5.06 in a WCOFF format draft. Peyton went 2.10, which I could live with, but then no other QBs until these 3 in the 5th. Especially for that format, that is too early IMHO.

I think Eli will be a fine option but expecting more than last year's end of season totals will be tough. As mentioned he already landed in the top 4 at QB, and he threw a ton of passes to get those numbers. In terms of value, I'd say it stinks with where he is typically getting drafted.

He SHOULD have a big year w/ all that talent around him. Even a $hitty QB should flourish on this run-first team w/ excellent receivers. I see him being consistent at being inconsistent for at least one more year. I'd take him late very late 1st round after all the good RB's are gone/

I watched two guys grab him in the second round of a RTMasters league draft last month. I think that is way to early but some people are high on him this year. There are quite a few good QB's you can get later than spend this early of a pick on a QB.

And to think I was one of the few that stuck up for you here. It is all good and good to hear from you again.

uh, whatever - I don't need you to "stick up for me" thanks. I was just playing around, so lighten up, Francis. You're claiming some sort of divination here when Eli's "potential breakout season" been a subject of conversation for months. Kinda asking for it.

But that's ok - keep up the prognostication. Say, who's gonna win the 2005 Superbowl? I've been saying for days that I think the Steelers look pretty good, what about you? :thumbsup:

uh, whatever - I don't need you to "stick up for me" thanks. I was just playing around, so lighten up, Francis. You're claiming some sort of divination here when Eli's "potential breakout season" been a subject of conversation for months. Kinda asking for it.

OK, what the heck... I'll try to explain why your in the wrong here scoot:

#1) Your reply was a worthless flame. The post was properly titled. Why troll for trouble?

#2) YOUR telling TIKI to lighten up?! You do realize how foolish that sounds don't you? He's one of the most laid back guys here.

#3) I believe you do need him to stick up for you. Tiki's a beloved staple around here. Without the support of a few well respected peeps, I believe you'd have been banned by now. You bring a lot of good stuff to the site &, 80% of the time, I enjoy your posts. The problem is the other 20%... posts like this where your obviously just on the rag.

#4) Placing a :angry: at the end of a flame doesn't remove the heat.

I know this was a waste of time, but what the heck. Maybe if enough guys explain it to you, it'll sink in. Personally, my guess is that your just young... probably 20-25 & a little over sensitive. I think with a little more time you'll become a great poster. You just don't need to alienate everyone here before that happens.

This is the "New" FFTOday, remember? Lets not squabble so much over the little stuff and just enjoy, "A little football amoung friends".

Eli's biggest challenge this season is, well, his entire receiving corps. Toomer's old, Burress is inconsistent (and a head case to boot) and the only reliable pass-catcher on that team happens to be the running back. I think the Giants will have a decent season, but I'm not ready to pin my hopes on Eli as my #1 QB just yet...

I agree with this. Those who say Eli hasn't showed much certainly haven't been watching. The problem with Eli is that he has lacked in consistency, but to say he hasn't shown anything is way off base. He's shown A LOT for a 2nd year QB/1st year starter. And some amount of struggles are to be expected. Let's not forget, Palmer threw 18 INTs in 13 games in his second season.

Eli has a full season as a starter under his belt, he helped his team to a playoff birth and a division title in his first full season as a starter, his offense is returning 100% of their starters and has added a new weapon in Sinorice Moss who looks to be a great compliments to the rest of the weapons he has at his disposal. It would seem things are in place for him to take that next step and should have a very good season.

I realize this is a mock draft, but I was shocked when Brady, Palmer and then Eli went 5.04, 5.05 and 5.06 in a WCOFF format draft. Peyton went 2.10, which I could live with, but then no other QBs until these 3 in the 5th. Especially for that format, that is too early IMHO.

I think Eli will be a fine option but expecting more than last year's end of season totals will be tough. As mentioned he already landed in the top 4 at QB, and he threw a ton of passes to get those numbers. In terms of value, I'd say it stinks with where he is typically getting drafted.

Especially for Brady and Manning

Personally, my guess is that your just young... probably 20-25 & a little over sensitive.

I'd be shocked if he's a day over 22

I don't think anyone is discounting his physical abilities nor his playmaking capabilities and skills.

I do, however, think people are dismissing him because of his mental make-up and the other mental aspects of a QB.

To me, that's the real question. Can he handle the pressure of QBing a New York football team that is being mentioned as a Super Bowl contender. Can he lead the team to a title in arguably the toughest division in football, and do it against some tough defenses, veteran QB's (McNabb, Bledsoe, Brunell), and can he face the heat coming from Reid, Parcells, and Gibbs?

A veteran and elite player like Barber's gonna help deflect some of the heat, and that defense is really gonna help his cause. But let's face it: it's gonna come down to him handling the pressure.

I think the pressure directly affects his consistency. :thumbsdown:

It would seem things are in place for him to take that next step and should have a very good season.

I am not sure that there is a next step. He had a very solid season, the next step would be 4000-30, which I simply don't see. Just my opinion, but Coughlin plays a fairly conservative game and his QB's generally don't pile on excessive stats, especially with a back as good as Barber.

I'm not worried about Eli and the pressure. Every account speaks of him as a guy that never gets rattled. Two of Eli's best performances came in extremely hostile atmospheres in Seattle and San Diego, and he looked his best with the game on the line against Denver and Dallas. This is a 2nd year QB in his first full season as a starter. I see no reason to speak of him in any context except well ahead of the curve.

OK, what the heck... I'll try to explain why your in the wrong here scoot:

#1) Your reply was a worthless flame. The post was properly titled. Why troll for trouble?

#2) YOUR telling TIKI to lighten up?! You do realize how foolish that sounds don't you? He's one of the most laid back guys here.

#3) I believe you do need him to stick up for you. Tiki's a beloved staple around here. Without the support of a few well respected peeps, I believe you'd have been banned by now. You bring a lot of good stuff to the site &, 80% of the time, I enjoy your posts. The problem is the other 20%... posts like this where your obviously just on the rag.

#4) Placing a :lol: at the end of a flame doesn't remove the heat.

I know this was a waste of time, but what the heck. Maybe if enough guys explain it to you, it'll sink in. Personally, my guess is that your just young... probably 20-25 & a little over sensitive. I think with a little more time you'll become a great poster. You just don't need to alienate everyone here before that happens.

This is the "New" FFTOday, remember? Lets not squabble so much over the little stuff and just enjoy, "A little football amoung friends".

It wasn't a flame, retard. That's the part you're missing. I've chatted aimiably with TBB for years - since the 1st day I joined, when he & I were against the world saying that Gates and Tiki were great values that year. Thus I didn't think he'd be oversensitive about my calling him out when he tried to claim ownership of the prediction of Eli Manning, when every fantasy magazine and "expert" site has been saying the same thing since May, 2006.

Your list is amusing, and irellevant. You can guess whatever you like - the reason I've not been banned here is because I've never done anything to warrant it, save engage in a couple select flame fests with [fine upstanding gentlemen] like you who think they know everything about everything. If there was more football talk and less psycho-analytical BS like your post, everyone would get along alot better. One man's opinion.

Take a step back and re-read my post from the perspective of a guy ribbing a guy he's talked football with for 2+ years and maybe you'll realize how retarded this diatribe is. Nah, I'm probably wasting my breath. You've missed in every aspect from my age, to my nature, to the nature of this post, to the % of my posts that are quality vs the % that are responding to idiotic garbage like your list. So do me and everyone else at FFT a big favor and STFU unless you're talking football because everything else is a waste of pixels. :clap:

I am not sure that there is a next step. He had a very solid season, the next step would be 4000-30, which I simply don't see. Just my opinion, but Coughlin plays a fairly conservative game and his QB's generally don't pile on excessive stats, especially with a back as good as Barber.

/ditto!

Don't get me wrong; it's not that I believe Manning won't improve as a QB... it's just that I don't see him improving much as a Fantasy QB. The NY Giants aren't the Indy Colts. They are a run first team that doesn't want to be in shoot outs.

I don't expect much more than what we saw last season.

Especially for Brady and Manning

I'd be shocked if he's a day over 22

Guess this is you then => :clap: because I've damn near lapped that. Now show some respect for your elders, whelp.

/ditto!

Don't get me wrong; it's not that I believe Manning won't improve as a QB... it's just that I don't see him improving much as a Fantasy QB. The NY Giants aren't the Indy Colts. They are a run first team that doesn't want to be in shoot outs.

I don't expect much more than what we saw last season.

Except that run 1st team used to lean heavily on passing out of the backfield. Tiki is one of the best in the NFL at turning those into long gains, which will all directly help Eli. With a healthy Shockey, Plaxico having a year of experience in that offense and Toomer having a modest resurgance, all the tools are there.

The only reason I can see Eli not taking the next step fantasy-wise is because the Giants have an outstanding defense. That keeps them in games and prevents them from having to play from behind. This will probably keep Eli's numbers a bit on the conservative side. I think he'll be like Brady was when the Pats still had a great D...steady 250/2/1 every week. Excellent production, and a great value anywhere past the 7th round, but not good enough to warrant an early (4-5) round pick.

One man's opinion.

STFU unless you're talking football because everything else is a waste of pixels. <_<

Smartest thing I've ever heard you say friend,

let's both follow your advice.

I think Manning reminds me a little bit of Bledsoe in those early years, but he has better mobility. I like the possible Fantasy-related future for the kid in the coming years, even though I still think he is a focking baby, and would love to see him fail just for crying his way out of SD. <_<

I think Manning reminds me a little bit of Bledsoe in those early years, but he has better mobility. I like the possible Fantasy-related future for the kid in the coming years, even though I still think he is a focking baby, and would love to see him fail just for crying his way out of SD. :unsure:

I agree that Manning is a baby, no doubt about it.

With that said, how come no one ever labeled John Elway a baby for refusing to play for the Colts and orchestrating a trade to Denver under the same premise?

I finally started crunching ADP averages this past weekend. Those slots are pretty typical for those guys, with Brady and Palmer usually going higher. As far as the last couple of weeks.

With that said, how come no one ever labeled John Elway a baby for refusing to play for the Colts and orchestrating a trade to Denver under the same premise?

I did - I called him a horse-toothed jackass for his entire career for it, and only recently have begun to respect him for his on-field accomplishments.

I did - I called him a horse-toothed jackass for his entire career for it, and only recently have begun to respect him for his on-field accomplishments.

I always wondered why the media and most football fans gave Elway a pass when this happened. I can remember that in the early stages of his career, Elway did get alot of grief from the media for his team underachieving, but when he won 2 SB's, you would think he was annointed the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Make no mistake that he's one of the all-time greats, but I'm not buying this holier than now persona that so many have given this guy.

Like Steve Francis did when he was drafted, and like Eli Manning did when he was drafted, all athletes who cry and hold their breaths at the draft should have a black mark on their career files, no doubt about it.

Reasons why Eli won't be this year's Palmer:

Palmer's arm strength >> Eli's arm strength

Chad Johnson >> Plaxico Burress

T.J. Houshmadzadeh >> Amani Toomer

Cincy's o-line >> NYG's o-line

Palmer's completion % the year before he blew up: 60.9, Eli's completion % last year: 52.8

About two weeks into the season last year i traded Carson Palmer and Brandlon Edwards for Eli and FWP......turned out to be a good trade on my part....even last year eli put up almost the same numbers as Palmer.....i ended up starting him over Collins most the season and he did pretty well......im plaining on trying to grab him in a later round....i dont think many ppl will pay much attention to him...I think he has the potential to be better then his brother.

The whole Manning family are babies....look at his brother, always blaming things on evryone but himself when things dont go his way, but even with what happened with Eli when he was drafted, dont matter to me...i like Eli WAY more then Peyton, i Think that if u were to put eli on that colts team he would do better then his brother....as a matter of fact, with edge gone this year im willing to put money down that eli puts up bigger numbers then peyton this year.........mark my words and hold me to it

even last year eli put up almost the same numbers as Palmer.....

:banana: The yards are close but the TDs and INTs are not. Palmer had 8 more TDs and 5 fewer INTs. :bandana:

It is true....Eli did throw alot of picks....and that hurt me last year, but second year in the leage and the guy is putting up 3762 and 24 TD....Second year in the league and he came in 5th overall in yards, throwing for more yards then his bro....if he can lower that INT count and Shake off the mental mistakes he has made, wich all comes with NFL experiance he is going to be a great QB

Second year in the league and [Eli] came in 5th overall in yards, throwing for more yards then his bro....

5th overall in yards, yes, but he had the 2nd-most attempts in the league. He threw 104 more passes than Peyton and only beat him by 15 yards. I agree that he is on his way up, but has a very long way to go in terms of effectiveness before he is capable of a year like Carson had last year.

Reasons why Eli won't be this year's Palmer:

Palmer's arm strength >> Eli's arm strength

Chad Johnson >> Plaxico Burress

T.J. Houshmadzadeh >> Amani Toomer

Cincy's o-line >> NYG's o-line

Palmer's completion % the year before he blew up: 60.9, Eli's completion % last year: 52.8

1) maybe your right - jury's still out on that, they both have good arm strength

2) CJ slightly better, but Plax's height in the red zone is an advantage

3) Toomer is very under rated, look at his career stats. Toomer is a very nice #2. Toomer in a playoff game vs San Fran - 3 TDs and 170 yards, what did Housh do?

4) G-Men O-line still very young and only getting better, they return all starters and have nice depth. Put up some good stats last year as far as scoring points, sacks allowed, and yards rushing

5) Completion % over-rated a bit, Eli not a stats guy and throws it away alot. Plus Giants offense tends to throw the ball down the field alot more than Cincy. Also Palmer a little more experience going into these comparative years.

Add:

Tiki >> than any other cincy RB. look at his yards from scrimmage last year, second in career only to Marshall Faulk

Shockey >> Any other TE on Cincy

Plus the Giants schedule isn't that hard, why is everyone high on the NFC East?

Dallas: QB bledsoe, give me a break, this isn't 1996

Washington: see Dallas

Eagles: will bounce back somehwta, but many question marks such as RB, and both lines, as well as secondary got exposed to what they really are when there is no pass rush.

Giants should win the division, and I think rather easily.

1) maybe your right - jury's still out on that, they both have good arm strength

The jury's not out. Palmer's arm strength is elite (top 3 or 4 in the league, maybe #1), Eli's is not.

2) CJ slightly better, but Plax's height in the red zone is an advantage

Don't even go there. Chad is superior in the red zone, the green zone, the white zone (for loading and unloading only), the ozone, and the twilight zone.

3) Toomer is very under rated, look at his career stats. Toomer is a very nice #2. Toomer in a playoff game vs San Fran - 3 TDs and 170 yards, what did Housh do?

very under rated = Houshmandzadeh. Toomer has been a solid starting receiver for a long time but will is also 32 years old this season. Good for Toomer had a great playoff game once... I guess you are excited about that because your boy Plaxighost got shut out in the playoff game last year.

4) G-Men O-line still very young and only getting better, they return all starters and have nice depth.

In a few years, the Giants line hopes to be as good as Cincy's line already was/is. Right now, they are significantly inferior.

Tiki >> than any other cincy RB. look at his yards from scrimmage last year, second in career only to Marshall Faulk

Shockey >> Any other TE on Cincy

That's nice. So maybe Eli will have numbers like Brees or Hasselbeck last year. But not Palmer.

5th overall in yards, yes, but he had the 2nd-most attempts in the league. He threw 104 more passes than Peyton and only beat him by 15 yards. I agree that he is on his way up, but has a very long way to go in terms of effectiveness before he is capable of a year like Carson had last year.

Im not at all bashing Palmer....in fact he is one of my Fav QBs in the NFL right now....What palmers done is amazing....but i think eli will put up better numbers this year....he has a little more expriance under his belt now, and he has talent at the WR position, Burress has shown he is capable of putting up decent numbers and toomers no bum.....+ the addition of Moss will help alot and i think will increase his numbers