Sign in to follow this  
Recidivist

Spike Lee's "When the Levees Break"

Guest Davaco
Who's fault is that? (The answer is "their own".)

So who's fault is it the levees didn't hold? Also, who the fock decides it's a good idea to live in a town below sea level that might get a hurricane. I am not saying the people shouldn't live there, but I also expect them to not act surprised when they lose everything. It's like the people who rebuild their houses after it floods without making any improvements and it floods again. What do you expect?

its bush's fault

Tsunami victims got aid faster, and it was thier fault they live in a 3rd world country and thier fault they live near a fault line and thier fault they live near an ocean.

but bush took credit for that speedy resonse, only makes sense he take blame for his un-speedy response, not blame eveyone else

Guest Davaco
nothing yet, Meathead?

He called me in that office after that and he said, Mr. Mayor, I offered two options to the governor. I said -- I don't remember exactly what -- two options. I was ready to move today. The governor said she needed 24 hours to make a decision.

O>> You told me the president told you the governor said she needed 24 hours to make a decision?

N>> Yes.

O>> Regarding what? Bringing troops?

N>> Whatever they had discussed. As far as what the -- I was advocating a clear chain of command. So that we could get resources flowing in the right places.

O>> The governor said no?

N>> She said she needed 24 hours to make a decision. It would have been great if we could of left air force one, walked outside, and told the world that we had this all worked out. It didn't happen. And more people died.

The Mayor is ready to move, the president is ready to move, the feds are ready to take control...

but they couldn't

because

the

governor

has

the authority

and

would not

give

it

up.

please explain to us how you now blame the president for lol...actually obeying the law. :banana:

they were ready to move 4 days after the storm hit. :angry: and since when does the president follow the law? he spys on americans without warrants, invades countries illegally, outs CIA members, jose padilla...

if bush had taken control and the relief effort was a success, would you say "dubya is great" or, he broke the law and should be arrested?

You are blinded by rage, much like Monkey Doush Cack.

when you call names, you have conceded defeat

:banana:

they were ready to move 4 days after the storm hit. :banana: and since when does the president follow the law? he spys on americans without warrants, invades countries illegally, outs CIA members, jose padilla...

if bush had taken control and the relief effort was a success, would you say "dubya is great" or, he broke the law and should be arrested?

when you call names, you have conceded defeat

You win. You are a shitbrain.

Guest Davaco

way to add to my post. thats another way to conced defeat

So when you said this...in a response earlier...it was glowing praise right?

spoken like a ture conservative

:rolleyes:

You are like a very ignorant version of torrid...who uses more words than Rude Rick.

Torrid's response to this:

was:

then he said:

isn't evacuating people the same as getting them out?

AFTER THE STORM. Pay attention.

nothing yet, Meathead?

He called me in that office after that and he said, Mr. Mayor, I offered two options to the governor. I said -- I don't remember exactly what -- two options. I was ready to move today. The governor said she needed 24 hours to make a decision.

O>> You told me the president told you the governor said she needed 24 hours to make a decision?

N>> Yes.

O>> Regarding what? Bringing troops?

N>> Whatever they had discussed. As far as what the -- I was advocating a clear chain of command. So that we could get resources flowing in the right places.

O>> The governor said no?

N>> She said she needed 24 hours to make a decision. It would have been great if we could of left air force one, walked outside, and told the world that we had this all worked out. It didn't happen. And more people died.

The Mayor is ready to move, the president is ready to move, the feds are ready to take control...

but they couldn't

because

the

governor

has

the authority

and

would not

give

it

up.

please explain to us how you now blame the president for lol...actually obeying the law. :rolleyes:

The governor denies she said anything about needing 24 hrs.

You're mistaken about the governor having the authority. The President has authority to nationalize the guard if necessary. And the entire discussion had nothing to do with mobilizing. It was the President who was demanding federal command and control, which was entirely unnecessary.

:rolleyes:

Pretty slick there princess...we both know what really happened. And we both know that it is you, in fact, who conceded defeat.

Guest tiki_gods
you said HUNDERED OF MILLIONS were displaced by katrina, i posed it in a question fishing for something substantial to support that claim. i have not found anything remotely close to that number - what is your source?

I meant to say hundreds of thousands. Apologies.

:humble:

The President has authority to nationalize the guard if necessary.

Actually I don't believe he does, except maybe in the case of a declaration of war or something like that. Otherwise, he needs the consent of the governors. But don't let facts get in the way of your agenda.

Guest tiki_gods
Are you sure? Howard Dean told me it was Billions

Karl Rove told me he "hate those naggers" :rolleyes:

Actually I don't believe he does, except maybe in the case of a declaration of war or something like that. Otherwise, he needs the consent of the governors. But don't let facts get in the way of your agenda.

Yes, the President has the right to use the National Guard. Check out Little Rock Arkansas circa 1954.

I suggest you read the Insurrection Act. But don't let that get in the way of your senseless posts.

Yes, the President has the right to use the National Guard. Check out Little Rock Arkansas circa 1954.

As I said, there are specific instances where the president can do so. Katrina wouldn't fit the definition. That's why there is currently a bill in congress to expand the criteria that would allow the president to use the national guard without governors consent, a bill which is opposed by the governors of every state.

I suggest you read the Insurrection Act. But don't let that get in the way of your senseless posts.

Whatever. It would be a stretch to apply that here. And if he already has the authority why are they pushing through a provision in the National Defense Authorization Act that would expand that authority, as a result of Katrina? I mean, if he has the authority they don't need another law to give it to him do they? :rolleyes:

As I said, there are specific instances where the president can do so. Katrina wouldn't fit the definition. That's why there is currently a bill in congress to expand the criteria that would allow the president to use the national guard without governors consent, a bill which is opposed by the governors of every state.

5 geek points for you, slam dunk

Whatever. It would be a stretch to apply that here. And if he already has the authority why are they pushing through a provision in the National Defense Authorization Act that would expand that authority, as a result of Katrina? I mean, if he has the authority they don't need another law to give it to him do they? :thumbsup:

It's no stretch. You don't think there was civil unrest after Katrina?

As for your second question, are you not following the NSA wiretap fiasco? The Bush administration is currently claiming both that they have the ability to ignore FISA, and pushing for a bill that allows them to ignore FISA. In 2002, they asked around trying to get a bill to allow what they were already secretly doing.

It's no stretch. You don't think there was civil unrest after Katrina?

As for your second question, are you not following the NSA wiretap fiasco? The Bush administration is currently claiming both that they have the ability to ignore FISA, and pushing for a bill that allows them to ignore FISA. In 2002, they asked around trying to get a bill to allow what they were already secretly doing.

You mean the NSA wiretapping that has been declared illegal? So you're conceding that they're trying to pass a bill to legalize something that is currently illegal. Thanks for proving my point :thumbsup:

You mean the NSA wiretapping that has been declared illegal? So you're conceding that they're trying to pass a bill to legalize something that is currently illegal. Thanks for proving my point :banana:

this all happened before that ruling. The negotiations with Specter have been going on for months. And in any case, the President still believes it's legal. He said SCOTUS made a horrible decision. You asked why the President would present a bill to get power he thinks he already has the power to do. Regardless of SCOTUS, he thinks he has the power to wiretap without a warrant--so why introduce a bill to say so, by your logic?

this all happened before that ruling. The negotiations with Specter have been going on for months. And in any case, the President still believes it's legal. He said SCOTUS made a horrible decision. You asked why the President would present a bill to get power he thinks he already has the power to do. Regardless of SCOTUS, he thinks he has the power to wiretap without a warrant--so why introduce a bill to say so, by your logic?

Except he didn't think he had the power:

"To seize control of the mission, Mr. Bush would have had to invoke the Insurrection Act, which allows the president in times of unrest to command active-duty forces into the states to perform law enforcement duties. But decision makers in Washington felt certain that Governor Blanco would have resisted surrendering control of the military relief mission as Bush Administration officials believe would have been required to deploy active-duty combat forces before law and order had been re-established. While troops can conduct relief missions without the legal authority of the Insurrection Act, Pentagon and military officials say that no active-duty forces could have been sent into the chaos of New Orleans on Wednesday or Thursday without confronting law-and-order challenges."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/09/national...ba7&ei=5070

He wasn't considering sending the guard. He was considering sending combat troops, and he knew there were legal issues in doing so.

I liked the show until I realized Spike "Black Supremist" Lee directed it. I hate that guy. :ninja:

"To seize control of the mission, Mr. Bush would have had to invoke the Insurrection Act, which allows the president in times of unrest to command active-duty forces into the states to perform law enforcement duties. But decision makers in Washington felt certain that Governor Blanco would have resisted surrendering control of the military relief mission as Bush Administration officials believe would have been required to deploy active-duty combat forces before law and order had been re-established. While troops can conduct relief missions without the legal authority of the Insurrection Act, Pentagon and military officials say that no active-duty forces could have been sent into the chaos of New Orleans on Wednesday or Thursday without confronting law-and-order challenges."

5 more Geek points for you :rolleyes:

Guest Davaco
Pretty slick there princess...we both know what really happened. And we both know that it is you, in fact, who conceded defeat.

"we both know" is another term that conceds defeat

:wall:

5 more Geek points for you :dunno:

so on wend. and thursday there were law and order challeneges that prevented the military from going in, but on friday, everything was ok

:wall:

and in Iraq, Marines can only kill people on mondays.

In conclusion:

Katrina worse than 9-11

Guiliani had it easier

Bush didn't take it seriously

Thousands dead

Feds should have been more active in recovery

Watching the POS show right now, what a load of excrement! :blink:

So far my favorite was the dumbsh!t old lady claiming that "they tried to drown us once, I aint gonna let them finish it".

On a side note, I totally believe that they have the worst educational system in the country, to a person, everyone interviewed is a complete idiot :ninja:

And after all these posts no one wants to deal with the fact that this was such a large mess because of the corrupt mayor and local government of New Orleans and Louisiana.

The corruption in govenment in Louisiana has always been a big joke, hell Hollywood even made movies with big time actors joking about the corruption.

But as soon as the corruption killed a bunch of people everybody stopped laughing and started blaming the federal govenment. This is a crock of sh!t.

And after all these posts no one wants to deal with the fact that this was such a large mess because of the corrupt mayor and local government of New Orleans and Louisiana.

The corruption in govenment in Louisiana has always been a big joke, hell Hollywood even made movies with big time actors joking about the corruption.

But as soon as the corruption killed a bunch of people everybody stopped laughing and started blaming the federal govenment. This is a crock of sh!t.

Rep Charles Barron don't call it Hurricane Katrina...he calls it Bush-FEMA.

On a side note, I totally believe that they have the worst educational system in the country, to a person, everyone interviewed is a complete idiot :D

Well, they found the poorest most ignorant black people they could find for the movie. Spike Lee is a piece of shiot. I couldnt hate the guy more. :dunno:

I've lived in this state most of my life, and that is pretty much true. What New Orleans always needed was a massive enema, and perhaps Katrina is the best thing that could have happened there. Now, if they'd ever get around to using those bulldozers and actually raze and rebuild the place...

Guest Davaco

maybe if the federal governemnt didnt hijack thier oil profits, they could afford everything on their own.

and the army engineers admitted the levees werent even levees. they are th eonly party to admi wrngdoing, but only cuz they cannot be sued

maybe if the federal governemnt didnt hijack thier oil profits, they could afford everything on their own.

:lol: WTF :cheers:

I never thought I would see a post more stupid than "Maddux will throw for 5000 yards" but there it is. ;)

The parts where they were finding dead bodies in cleared houses was pretty sad, a very pathetic demonstration by those teams peforming that work.

Well, they found the poorest most ignorant black people they could find for the movie. Spike Lee is a piece of shiot. I couldnt hate the guy more. :thumbsdown:

Not true. I thought there was a pretty good cross-section of the population. Two of the more frequently shown interviewees were the prof. of mechanical engineering at Tulane and the female attorney - both black. You must not have been paying very close attention or are very close-minded if you are to brand them "ignorant".

There was one black woman they showed repeatedly who definitely fit the stereotype of ignorant loudmouth black woman. But what about the two white broads drinking beer (were they dykes?) they kept showing? They came off equally ignorant.

I'll leave the idiotic back and forth banter about who is to blame to the rest of you.

I thought it was very hard hitting. I don't see how you can watch something like that and feel anything but complete sorrow- and yet, so many of us on the outside looking in blame the residents and the city for this.

Another point it drove home was how lack of education opportunities and funding plays perhaps the most integral part there is in keeping a city together.

its bush's fault

;)

But they only just drafted Reggie :dunno: