Sign in to follow this  
Sweetness_34

Fat Mike Williams gets benched for no reason whatsoever

Lions WR Williams did not break any rules to get benched

Written by: Associated Press ¦ 8/27/2006

Source:

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) - Mike Williams still isn't sure why he didn't play during the Detroit Lions' third preseason game, but he said Sunday that he isn't fearing the ax as the deadline for NFL teams to trim their rosters nears.

"They usually tell you if you aren't going to play at all," the receiver said of Friday's 21-3 loss at Oakland. "I prepared through the week, dressed, showed up and they didn't put me in."

Williams, the 10th overall pick in the 2005 draft, had 29 catches for 350 yards and a touchdown last season but has just one reception in Detroit's three preseason games. He has not played in the first half of any of them.

Coach Rod Marinelli alluded to players earning playing time with their practice performance, but said nothing more about Williams after Friday's game. Williams reportedly has been fined for reporting to training camp overweight. Marinelli said Sunday that the receiver had not broken any team rules in the week before the game.

He didn't clarify why Williams didn't play, saying again that "so much is reflected off of practice." Prodded further, Marinelli said Williams has not practiced well "at times."

In an often cryptic session with reporters, Marinelli said he saw 13 players who demonstrated the toughness and grasp of fundamentals and technique he's emphasized since the Lions hired him in February.

Williams remained upbeat after a brief practice.

"I can't go upstairs and have a fit and wonder why I didn't play," he said. "As frustrating as it is, I still respect them. I'm just going to keep working."

His draft position and pay - Williams is due $350,000 in base salary this season - make it unlikely he'll be released. Even if the team does decide to cut him, he said he's not coming to work worried about it.

"I feel I've put in a good camp, a productive camp," Williams said. "I can't worry about (being released). If coach Marinelli wants me to earn my playing time, I'll just have to find ways to earn it."

Marinelli listed position flexibility and players' potential among the factors in the final cuts, but said financial circumstances, especially the salary cap, also would dictate decisions.

The Lions host Buffalo in their final preseason game Thursday and must cut the roster to 53 players by 4 p.m. Saturday.

Another receiver, Charles Rogers, also isn't worried about getting the ax. He practiced Sunday after missing more than a week with a bruised knee and said he expects to be ready when the team begins the season Sept. 10 against Seattle.

"I'm not worried about it," he said of the looming cut day. "It's one of those things about this business. They have to make their choices. I'm a Lion now and I'm going to be a Lion next week."

Lions WR Williams did not break any rules to get benched

Is the fact that he sucks reason enough to bench him?

how in the world is his base salary only $300,000???

Does that include fines?

Wait that's his meal allowance.

how in the world is his base salary only $300,000???

A lot of rookie contracts are structured so that the base salary is the league minimum with the bulk of the money that the player gets being the prorated signing bonus.

In an often cryptic session with reporters, Marinelli said he saw 13 players who demonstrated the toughness and grasp of fundamentals and technique he's emphasized since the Lions hired him in February.

Hey Maranelli, great job. Those bozos really excelled this weekend. What a total jackoff this dude is. BMW doesn't even have to practice to be better than the losers this tard lines up at receiver.

Swamp's loverboy also gets slammed by other GMs......"draft guru" right swamp poopie???

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

================

How is that?

You would be amazed how many NFL general managers know Matt Millen’s won-loss record in Detroit since he became the team’s general manager.

“How in the hell does someone with a 21-59 record get named to the Competition Committee?” one GM asked me. “How does he keep his job and also get a new contract?”

Said a former member of the committee: “Matt is the wrong kind of person to be on that committee. I just can’t figure out what they are doing, but I’m glad I’m not dealing with it anymore.”

Millen replaced former Houston GM Charley Casserly, who is now working for CBS Sports. By the way, Casserly wasn’t happy with his settlement pay from Texans owner Bob McNair after being fired.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/NFL_C...kers_for_Branch

t?

“How in the hell does someone with a 21-59 record get named to the Competition Committee?” one GM asked me. “How does he keep his job and also get a new contract?”

NFL general managers: "Let's get McMillen" :banana:

"It'll give us someone to make fun of, plus, whatever he says, we'll do the opposite, that'll make us competitive."

This is just propaganda from the liberal media...

my UP insider says that Williams is trim and fit and ready to have a break out season. :banana:

:D

Yo Sweetness, for the record Swamp already knows about this. I mentioned it in a thread yesterday and he had no rebuttal.

It simply boggles my mind everyday of the season how an ex-linebacker thinks building a team with WRs -- however good they may have been in college -- makes any sense? Especially since the players he passed on -- Ware, D. Johnson, Merriman -- are well on their way to multiple Pro Bowl appearance, and especially since their most glaring need at the time was defense.

So I don't really blame FMW; I put the blame squarely on the same shoulders that hold that empty head of Millen's.

the only spin i've ever put on it is summed us thus: let's see what this year brings--the entire season--before lopping off mike's head. that's it. knock yourself out and obsess. start your mike threads daily. it won't change it.

that's the spin. pretty boring, eh? :lol:

maybe at the end of the season you can do a double :D and mike will indeed be gone or a bust or both. hey, i'll join you with the pile-on at that point. but let's see the what the season brings.

same goes for benson. as much of a train wreck as that has been this summer, the same applies: benson deserves to get this year before any definitive judgments are made.

and whatever rod decides about mike--bench, play, start, or cut--or any player is fine by me. :banana:

there's your spin. so sorry to disappoint :clap:

This always confuses me, so I think it's time for a "Man Law." Mike Williams (WR) and Mike Williams (OT) are both fat. However, the one that's on the Jags now is really focking fat, therefore from now on, he is FMW and the Lions one is BMW. :P

Mike William is not a True WR, he's too big boned and fat for that. place him at TE and he will be a elite receiver somewhat.

Fire Millen! :thumbsup:

Must be said, on a daily basis. Just wondering, since he is likely already fined his entire salary this year, if they cut him, does he have to cut the Lydowns a check on his way out. Now, that would be funny.

"Hi, you know me, I am the turk, you are cut. Got your checkbook, you owe us $XXXX."

the only spin i've ever put on it is summed us thus: let's see what this year brings--the entire season--before lopping off mike's head. that's it. knock yourself out and obsess. start your mike threads daily. it won't change it.

that's the spin. pretty boring, eh? :D

maybe at the end of the season you can do a double :banana: and mike will indeed be gone or a bust or both. hey, i'll join you with the pile-on at that point. but let's see the what the season brings.

same goes for benson. as much of a train wreck as that has been this summer, the same applies: benson deserves to get this year before any definitive judgments are made.

and whatever rod decides about mike--bench, play, start, or cut--or any player is fine by me. :blink:

there's your spin. so sorry to disappoint :D

Great backpedaling :huh:

that's the spin. pretty boring, eh? :D

maybe at the end of the season you can do a double :P and mike will indeed be gone or a bust or both. hey, i'll join you with the pile-on at that point. but let's see the what the season brings.

and whatever rod decides about mike--bench, play, start, or cut--or any player is fine by me. :doh:

there's your spin. so sorry to disappoint :D

Interpretation: I keep getting my arse handed to me on this bored since I started defending this focked up franchise, so I give up now. Can you all please excuse me while I go put my son to sleep since this season we are screwed too after seeing how horrible we looked against a pathetic Oakland team

Fock firing Millen, force the Fords to sell the team to Bill Davidson or some other competant owner who actually wants their team to win and aren't in it just for the $$$.

that's the spin. pretty boring, eh? :banana:

maybe at the end of the season you can do a double :banana: and mike will indeed be gone or a bust or both. hey, i'll join you with the pile-on at that point. but let's see the what the season brings.

and whatever rod decides about mike--bench, play, start, or cut--or any player is fine by me. :banana:

there's your spin. so sorry to disappoint :argue:

All the spin you have put on this situation?

No...you never mentioned that one catch for 24 yards the week before...you never whined about how people were using last year's issues when discussing this offseason.

But there is the usual deflection...a post about a Lion...more specifically Mike Williams...and in comes the deflect to the Bears and Benson. Too freakin funny.

All the spin you have put on this situation?

No...you never mentioned that one catch for 24 yards the week before...you never whined about how people were using last year's issues when discussing this offseason.

But there is the usual deflection...a post about a Lion...more specifically Mike Williams...and in comes the deflect to the Bears and Benson. Too freakin funny.

1) nothing reported--mike playing, mike playing and catching a ball, mike riding a stationary bike, mike not riding a stationary bike--negates the basic principle i, and all sane people, operate under: at the end of this season a more definitive word will be had on mike williams. thus, he gets this football season before a final judgment is made. nowhere have i said that "final word" couldn't include him being a bust.

2) the benson example is completely and totally relevant: he, like mike, is in year 2 and so far has had a spotty summer (to say the least). but he, like mike, shouldn't be judged fully until the end of the year. in the interim, he, like mike, will have every little thing--from making a play, to not making a play--overly scrutinized. that's just the way it is.

thanks for playing.

Great backpedaling :bench:

Damn, ya beat me to it was going to say the same thing, backpedaling

Can we forget swamps manlove of Williams? How good he looked to Swampy.

Damn, ya beat me to it was going to say the same thing, backpedaling

Can we forget swamps manlove of Williams? How good he looked to Swampy.

lol...i've said all offseason: let's wait until the end of this season to make a judgment on mike. that's it. there's no backpedaling at all. why? because i still say that. i understand you don't like me, hey, so focking what. but you're going to have get over it and deal with it somehow on your own.

at the end of the season, if the data shows mike to be a bust, i'll join you and sweetmeat the the jerry-springer-crowd here and call mike a bust right along with ya :doublethumbsup:

lol...i've said all offseason: let's wait until the end of this season to make a judgment on mike. that's it. there's no backpedaling at all. why? because i still say that. i understand you don't like me, hey, so focking what. but you're going to have get over it and deal with it somehow on your own.

at the end of the season, if the data shows mike to be a bust, i'll join you and sweetmeat the the jerry-springer-crowd here and call mike a bust right along with ya :clap:

I never really thought Mike Williams would do much either way, neither will Roy Williams for that matter... :doublethumbsup:

1) nothing reported--mike playing, mike playing and catching a ball, mike riding a stationary bike, mike not riding a stationary bike--negates the basic principle i, and all sane people, operate under: at the end of this season a more definitive word will be had on mike williams. thus, he gets this football season before a final judgment is made. nowhere have i said that "final word" couldn't include him being a bust.

2) the benson example is completely and totally relevant: he, like mike, is in year 2 and so far has had a spotty summer (to say the least). but he, like mike, shouldn't be judged fully until the end of the year. in the interim, he, like mike, will have every little thing--from making a play, to not making a play--overly scrutinized. that's just the way it is.

thanks for playing.

1. If only that is all you have been saying. You continued to downplay everything that came out...claiming people were just going on last year's information. Denial is a funny thing welch dog.

2. The Benson example is not relevant as it has nothing to do with Mike...you bring it up to deflect away from the criticism a player on your favorite team is receiving...you do this in nearly every thread where you get in arguments...whether its Benson, or a Packer player, or a Vikings player...I think you even brought up the Jets in one where a Jet fan was chimin in. It is all you do.

Thanks for playing? You mean, thanks for once again making you look like a complete fool?

1. If only that is all you have been saying. You continued to downplay everything that came out...claiming people were just going on last year's information. Denial is a funny thing welch dog.

2. The Benson example is not relevant as it has nothing to do with Mike...you bring it up to deflect away from the criticism a player on your favorite team is receiving...you do this in nearly every thread where you get in arguments...whether its Benson, or a Packer player, or a Vikings player...I think you even brought up the Jets in one where a Jet fan was chimin in. It is all you do.

Thanks for playing? You mean, thanks for once again making you look like a complete fool?

dude, i'm amused i rile you up so much. really, i find it hilarious. it'd be even better to know you spend money on a shrink because of it.

my reward is knowing that i get your shorts in a knot. thanks. :cheers:

at the end of the season, if the data shows mike to be a bust, i'll join you and sweetmeat the the jerry-springer-crowd here and call mike a bust right along with ya :wall:

How are you going to do this? :doh:

Have you ever made it to an end of a season?? :cry:

i...(believe) at the end of this season a more definitive word will be had on mike williams. thus, he gets this football season before a final judgment is made.

C'mon swamp, where's the fun in that? That's what we as football fans in general and fantasy players in particular thrive on: projecting stats and production based on historical data and information gathered from various sources.

And so far, the historical data and various information about FMW doesn't put him in the best of light. So c'mon, dude, play along.

C'mon swamp, where's the fun in that? That's what we as football fans in general and fantasy players in particular thrive on: projecting stats and production based on historical data and information gathered from various sources.

And so far, the historical data and various information about FMW doesn't put him in the best of light. So c'mon, dude, play along.

hey, you're preaching to the choir: i've said all along that people are entitled to their opinions. i'm not the one in this thread engaging in name calling and personal attacks over mike williams :unsure: and nowhere have i apologized on mike's behalf for his past history. it is what it is.

more importantly, nowhere do i say he WILL be a success in the nfl. so the wrath i'm incurring from some of you is amusing--and i do mean amusing. as i said to sho: i'm glad the notion of "wait until the end of the season to hang mike" has caused some much personal anguish and grief. i hope it also has caused you all bowel trouble :(

i might join you in the "mike is an a-hole/loser/bust" at the end of this season. be patient, okay? i'm giving him--and benson (and yes, it most certainly is related) and all rookie players from last year through this season before making any definitive judgments.

i might join you in the "mike is an a-hole/loser/bust" at the end of this season. be patient, okay? i'm giving him--and benson (and yes, it most certainly is related) and all rookie players from last year through this season before making any definitive judgments.

Why won't you give him five seasons like you gave Joey?? :huh:

That's just not fair. :cry:

:D

Why won't you give him five seasons like you gave Joey?? :blink:

That's just not fair. :banana:

:thumbsup:

thanks for reminding me my two weeks are up.

enjoy :thumbsup:

dude, i'm amused i rile you up so much. really, i find it hilarious. it'd be even better to know you spend money on a shrink because of it.

my reward is knowing that i get your shorts in a knot. thanks. :cry:

Rile me up?

Nah...you make me laugh...your constant delusion, deflection, welching, and overall denial is quite amusing...as is pointing it out every chance I get.

thanks for reminding me my two weeks are up.

enjoy :cry:

Reminded you. :mad: You have it marked on your calendar..

Not a big deal...

You've been just starting you Packer rants in non-Packer threads. I haven't commented on anything Lions anywhere.

Don't care about them one way or another :mad:

Back to the question:

Why did Joey get five years of your knob slobbing but Williams only gets two?

You take the good with the bad, as a Lions fan, you have to defend/spin/apologize for your team.

Because its the only team we've got.

If we didn't, that would mean we've lost hope, and without hope, football becomes pointless.

Keep it up swampy :(

If the Tiggers can do it, so can the Lie-downs.

9-7 this year! You watch!

Reminded you. :cry: You have it marked on your calendar..

Not a big deal...

You've been just starting you Packer rants in non-Packer threads. I haven't commented on anything Lions anywhere.

Don't care about them one way or another :rolleyes:

Back to the question:

Why did Joey get five years of your knob slobbing but Williams only gets two?

joey played 4 years, not 5. qbs are different than wrs and rbs. longer learning curve. even a simpleton like you should know that. but i don't assume with you anymore.

mike was a rookie wr last year after being out of football for 2 years prior to that. not saying he won't be a bust. saying he deserves year 2 before being hanged.

school's out. you're welcome.

Rile me up?

Nah...you make me laugh...your constant delusion, deflection, welching, and overall denial is quite amusing...as is pointing it out every chance I get.

you're the only person here who constantly harps about the deflection thing :lol: glad it annoys you. you probably have nervous ticks, toss and turn all night to the drippy faucet, wash your hands compulsively, too.