Sign in to follow this  
Keyser Sose

Why does Culpepper Suck So Bad?

As much as it sucks because I have Chambers, my buddies and I were laughing our @sses off last night watching the game. We live in MN and have put up with this overrated clown for too long. The Vikes had to bounce him after he single handedly destroyed the beginning of the 05 season with horrible play, blew his knee out, then demanded more guarantted money from his contract they had just redone for him.

We had to watch that stiff for years as Moss bailed him out time and time again. Everyone tired of Randy's antics, but no one wanted him to go. Everybody up here that knew anything was glad to see them bounce Dauntrizzzay.

With the exception of 04 (and that season is way overrated), the guy is a turnover machine and at the worst possible times. Even in his best year (04), the guy still had 21 turnovers. When your team is down by a score and needs to march down the field for points - you can count on a pick or fumbelina to show up.

Everyone talks about his td's and picks, then forgets his fumbles. The guy averages over a fumble a start. Once Moss left and he didn't have the same defense every snap (hmm, I wonder if they'll roll the safety over to Moss), he was exposed for what he truly is: Aaron Brooks with a bigger arm and more power running the ball. Watch his picks this season, at least half of them will come on a zone defense when one defender is passing coverage off.

Yep, his knee looked great last night. I'd say he is about 90% back. A couple picks, a few in the dirt, a few too high, a bunch of missed reads to open receivers, and a couple picks. If he would have put the ball on the ground once or twice, I'd have to give him the 100%

Sorry for the rant, but I've hardly been able to stomach Sean Salisbury and his mancrush he has with Daunte this offseason. "What a steal by the dolphins; the Vikings gave him away; a probowl qb for a second round pick; etc". Just when the Madden/Brett Farve manlove had an end in sight, a new one pops up!

Dead on. There was a big reason why the Vikings turned around at the end of last season. Culpepper was out and Brad Johnson was in. He doesn't turn the ball over. It's that simple. The defense is a lot better now, because they aren't on the field all of the time.

1. Coming off major knee surgery.

2. Hasn't played a great game of football since 2004.

3. Playing in his first game of the season for a new team.

4. Playing on the road against the SuperBowl champs who happen to have one of the best defenses in the NFL.

Not exactly a recipe for success. I expected him to be a little rusty. And he was. But I also expect him to get a lot better, because he's still a very talented QB.

It will be a contest between C-Pep and Favre to see who throws more picks this year. My money is on C-Pep!

Favre!

Culpepper wasnt that bad.

1. This was his first real game back. The last meaningful game he played was a long time ago with a different team and a different offense.

2. This was his first FULL game. He looked tired in the second half. He was much better in the first half but his passes looked to lose a little velocity in the second half.

3. This was the Pitt defense. Enough said. This defense makes everyone look bad.

4. This was the worst offensive game planning ever put into place in my opinion. They threw the ball like 80 times in the second half and ran the ball what once? Who the hell is calling these plays? Horrible.

Thats right Culpepper just wasn't that bad. You guys need to be reasonable. He hadn't seen true game speed in several months. He's only worked with his receivers a very short while now. He was thrown right in against one of the top defenses in the league. His oline has a couple of new faces on it and they're trying to gel against a difficult blitz package and one of the best schemes that attacks the line of scrimmage in the league. Not to mention, he's playing in their house just seven months removed from their Super Bowl win.

Think about it. He had no running game last night to help him out. He had someone in his face just about every time he threw. But look at his schedule though. Think he's going to see that kind of defense every week? Very few teams in the league can shut down a run game like Pittsburgh. Miami was very one dimensional last night. Still he threw for 260 yds. Change the play calling up a bit at the goaline and he could have had at least one of those scores. Then you guys would have been on here hyping Daunte up and talking about how good he looked despite seeing all that pressure.

Nows the time to look at trading for him while his value is low. His schedule is fairly easy. His Oline should continue to gel the more they work together. His timing should also improve the more he works with his receivers at actual game speed. Lastly, you've gotta think his conditioning will improve as the season goes on. In essence, the glaring knocks against him that I saw last night, are all things that should improve.

I think he will put up nice fantasy stats this year (unless you get -2 for turnovers). I'm just glad he's not the qb of my favorite team anymore, the picks and fumbles always come at the worst time of the game. Porter getting Dante's roll on and kicking it was classic.

Let me start by saying that Culpppper played 3 good quarters. Everything just went wrong for him and Miami in the 4th. The O-line needs to improve. They have to protect him better and they have to get the running game going. Also, I would like Culpepper to scramble a liitle more and maybe take off on a couple of runs. It looks like he's still a little worried about the knee. He also has to trust his other receivers other than Chambers. Booker and Welker are good. Ronnie was open underneath a lot as well. Once defenses start respecting the short passes, then you can throw long to Chambers. I think you'll see an improved Culpepper and Miami next week.

I was wondering about Culpepper, he looked awful. Definitely telegraphed every pass much like a rookie does. It was almost as if he didn't want Chris Chambers to catch any balls with the short passes, high passes, nowhere close passes and two-steps behind passes.

Remember he stunk up the Metrosexual Dome last season before he went down with an injury. Has he hit a wall?

Culpepper wasnt that bad.

1. This was his first real game back. The last meaningful game he played was a long time ago with a different team and a different offense.

2. This was his first FULL game. He looked tired in the second half. He was much better in the first half but his passes looked to lose a little velocity in the second half.

3. This was the Pitt defense. Enough said. This defense makes everyone look bad.

4. This was the worst offensive game planning ever put into place in my opinion. They threw the ball like 80 times in the second half and ran the ball what once? Who the hell is calling these plays? Horrible.

Well said man... It was his First FOCKIN full game back peoples, on a new team, playing a very tough Defense, on the road, and on a sore knee in the middle of rehab. Jesus people, and on top of it, he was in a position to win it late in the 4th, until the Steelers 2 best defenders made two GREAT plays on the ball... He actually played pretty well... IMO...

So quit all the hatin' you bunch of J@ck@sses... I've never seen 1 player in this league get so much undeserved hate by a bunch of never played the game, couch potato experts in my life... You C-Pepp haters need to quit hatin' and start watching the same game as the rest of us.... Fockin Losers... MB

He actually played well for 3 1/2 quarters. Chambers dropped a TD pass that hit him right in the face, and they miscommunicated on another end zone toss where Chambers was wide open. I think that is some of the rust that will wear off when Culpepper gets more comfortable and the checmistry with Chambers gets a little better. Chambers has to step it up though and prove he can be an elite go to receiver, especially in the red zone.

The Steelers blitzed him like mad in the first half, and he kept getting rid of it just in time with nice dump off passes. Then Pittsburgh adjusted, dropping guys like Porter back into coverage to cover the quick slant routes and caught Culpepper. It was good defense against a rusty QB on a new team. I think he could have looked a lot worse. I think by midseason he will be producing much more like the Culpepper of 2 years ago than what we see now.

He actually played well for 3 1/2 quarters. Chambers dropped a TD pass that hit him right in the face, and they miscommunicated on another end zone toss where Chambers was wide open. I think that is some of the rust that will wear off when Culpepper gets more comfortable and the checmistry with Chambers gets a little better. Chambers has to step it up though and prove he can be an elite go to receiver, especially in the red zone.

The Steelers blitzed him like mad in the first half, and he kept getting rid of it just in time with nice fump off passes. Then Pittsburgh adjusted, dropping guys like Porter back into coverage to cover the quick slant routes and caught Culpepper. It was good defense against a rusty QB on a new team. I think he could have looked a lot worse. I think by midseason he will be producing much more like the Culpepper of 2 years ago.

Chambers and Culp would of had two tds if the ball would have been thrown better. On the one that Chambers "dropped" Daunte threw the ball way to hard as Chris was coming out of his route. The ball did touch Chambers hands so he has to take some heat for not catching it. The second miss was unexusable for Culp. It seemed like Daunte could throw decently to every other reciever except Chris.

It doesn't help when your O-Coordinator keeps sending down passing plays.

Any quarterback will have major problems vs. a top notch team like Pitt, if his team abandons the run.

Culpepper looked like ######, but he shouldn't have even been throwing the ball in some of those situations.

RUN THE FOCKING BALL SOMETIMES

that's what you get with mike mularkey calling the plays. It's only gonna get worse from here with that guy

considering the Defense he was playing against this wasnt a horrible performance.

I think that he did at least average, and maybe even above average for overall numbers against this defense. Pitt will hold a lot of teams to less than 200 yards passing this year (I think).

I agree, the play calling could have been better. you gotta throw in the odd run to keep the team honest, but there were times when I thought it was amazing that Ronnie brown got the ball back to the line of scrimage. Pitt totally dominated the miami O-Line on a lot of run plays. when that happens, you pretty much need to abandon the run.

I dont think this game is a true indication of what the season will be like for Miami.

Cpep will be a somewhat usable fantasy qb (at best) this year as he'll still get his td's in the air and a few on the ground. He MIGHT crack the top 10 and a spot or two better if your league doesn't penalize for turnovers. As for Miami fans, you are in for a long season. That team has around 12 win potential, but will finish with around 9 because Daunte will cost them at least 3 games. Crunch time= turnover time when Daunte is behind center. It's been that way his whole NFL career.

Why does Culpepper Suck So Bad? I will make this very simple as this should end the thread ....Daunte is a Miami Dolphin.

I decided at the last minute to bench Culpepper and start T Green. I thought I'd better see for myself if he was ready. Glad I did. I thought he was 80% (easy to see he couldn't run for a TD at this point) and wished he had a couple of more weeks to get better, and I wished his first game wasn't against the champs, but overall, I was not completely disappointed or surprised by his performance. I know Culpepper has always been one to throw interceptions, but in I still think that Culpepper and Chambers/Booker/McMichael are going to connect for some big plays this year against lesser defenses. I will definitely start him then...

Anyone who drafted Culpepper hopefully got him in the later rounds, drafted another pretty good QB as insurance, and plans like me to play the best matchup. Winning that way takes homework and a lot of luck.

I think he will put up nice fantasy stats this year (unless you get -2 for turnovers). I'm just glad he's not the qb of my favorite team anymore, the picks and fumbles always come at the worst time of the game. Porter getting Dante's roll on and kicking it was classic.

:dunno: Agree 100% :first:

Chambers and Culp would of had two tds if the ball would have been thrown better. On the one that Chambers "dropped" Daunte threw the ball way to hard as Chris was coming out of his route. The ball did touch Chambers hands so he has to take some heat for not catching it. The second miss was unexusable for Culp. It seemed like Daunte could throw decently to every other reciever except Chris.

He threw it too hard? :dunno: Come on...

It wasn't right as Chambers was coming out of his route. Chambers had already jumped in the air and was perfectly positioned to catch that. Any other elite receiver makes that catch, and it went right through Chambers hands and hit him in the face mask. It wasn't a poorly thrown ball on that one, I must disagree.

I do think they need to work on their "chemistry" though obviously. That second one it seemed like Culpepper thought he was running a fade pattern so he lobbed it to the back of the end zone.

It wasn't a pretty night for the Dolphins offense. They will get better though, I think it's a good time to buy low on CPepp in fantasy.

He threw it too hard? :blink: Come on...

It wasn't right as Chambers was coming out of his route. Chambers had already jumped in the air and was perfectly positioned to catch that. Any other elite receiver makes that catch, and it went right through Chambers hands and hit him in the face mask. It wasn't a poorly thrown ball on that one, I must disagree.

I do think they need to work on their "chemistry" though obviously. That second one it seemed like Culpepper thought he was running a fade pattern so he lobbed it to the back of the end zone.

It wasn't a pretty night for the Dolphins offense. They will get better though, I think it's a good time to buy low on CPepp in fantasy.

;) :blink:

:lol: :banana:

Totally agree.

Even in high school when I played, if a ball slipped through a receivers hands and hits a guy in the facemask, he got crap from the coach.

its one thing if its a rocket throw and the receiver has to really reach to touch the ball, but this is a professional player who's supposed to be a stud. He needs to make those catches.

in the NFL if you get two hands on the ball you should catch it regardless of how hard the throw was.

Thats right Culpepper just wasn't that bad. You guys need to be reasonable. He hadn't seen true game speed in several months. He's only worked with his receivers a very short while now. He was thrown right in against one of the top defenses in the league. His oline has a couple of new faces on it and they're trying to gel against a difficult blitz package and one of the best schemes that attacks the line of scrimmage in the league. Not to mention, he's playing in their house just seven months removed from their Super Bowl win.

Think about it. He had no running game last night to help him out. He had someone in his face just about every time he threw. But look at his schedule though. Think he's going to see that kind of defense every week? Very few teams in the league can shut down a run game like Pittsburgh. Miami was very one dimensional last night. Still he threw for 260 yds. Change the play calling up a bit at the goaline and he could have had at least one of those scores. Then you guys would have been on here hyping Daunte up and talking about how good he looked despite seeing all that pressure.

Nows the time to look at trading for him while his value is low. His schedule is fairly easy. His Oline should continue to gel the more they work together. His timing should also improve the more he works with his receivers at actual game speed. Lastly, you've gotta think his conditioning will improve as the season goes on. In essence, the glaring knocks against him that I saw last night, are all things that should improve.

Ah, so in preseason they all only play at 1/2 speed I suppose? ;)

Now that we're officially underway in the 2006 season, I think it's time to stop making excuses for this guy. The reason they had no run is because Pittsburgh was stacking the line daring CPep to face off against the secondary.

CPep was a pick machine prior to 2004, and it seems like everyone is forgetting that because of a nice offseason and the sentiment that he'd "return to form" after a bad year & injury. But the truth is that he HAS returned to form - he just doesn't have Moss in there to save his bacon when he chucks it upfield when he can't find an open man.

He had all the time in the world to make his throws - they were all short, long or wildly hurled to no one in particular. And that was BEFORE they got behind and had to abandon the run. Both passes to Chambers in the end zone should have been TDs - any QB with any touch at all makes both those easy passes - especially the 2nd one when Chambers was WIDE OPEN.

CPep sucks - he'll have some big games, but he will never be the same QB he was in Minnesota. Ever. He'll throw a ton of picks and probably have 3800/20. And with that knee, say goodbye to the 300-400 RuYd and 4-6 RuTDs he used to get.

I avoided in every league and man am I glad I didn't buy into that preseason fool's gold. :banana:

I was actually somewhat encouraged. The miami receivers looked good and he put up decent yards. A turnover or two had to be expected because they were playing the steelers. And if not for Chambers dropping one that he could have caught and ronnie brown not getting in on a pass but getting in on the runs, then Culpepper might have had a TD or two. Miami got two TDs on a very good defense. Ronnie Brown obviously won't get two TDs a game and more often than not, Culpepper would get those 2 TDs. Now against crappy Ds, I can see him easily getting 2 or 3.

Ah, so in preseason they all only play at 1/2 speed I suppose? :cheers:

Now that we're officially underway in the 2006 season, I think it's time to stop making excuses for this guy. The reason they had no run is because Pittsburgh was stacking the line daring CPep to face off against the secondary.

CPep was a pick machine prior to 2004, and it seems like everyone is forgetting that because of a nice offseason and the sentiment that he'd "return to form" after a bad year & injury. But the truth is that he HAS returned to form - he just doesn't have Moss in there to save his bacon when he chucks it upfield when he can't find an open man.

He had all the time in the world to make his throws - they were all short, long or wildly hurled to no one in particular. And that was BEFORE they got behind and had to abandon the run. Both passes to Chambers in the end zone should have been TDs - any QB with any touch at all makes both those easy passes - especially the 2nd one when Chambers was WIDE OPEN.

CPep sucks - he'll have some big games, but he will never be the same QB he was in Minnesota. Ever. He'll throw a ton of picks and probably have 3800/20. And with that knee, say goodbye to the 300-400 RuYd and 4-6 RuTDs he used to get.

I avoided in every league and man am I glad I didn't buy into that preseason fool's gold. :wub:

awesome. I avoided him as well for the same reasons.

being an elite NFL QB comes down to these three skills

- read the defense

- make a quick decision

- make an accurate throw

being big, having a rocket arm, being able to run fast or break tackles... are all secondary for an NFL QB. If he can't do those first three things well, nothing else about his game matters.

For a while now, Culpepper has been below average at the 3 critical skills and it is overlooked because he is this giant of a man who occasionally makes tremendous plays.

And enough already with how tough it is playing the PIT defense. If MIA is truly going to elevate themselves to the upper echelon of the NFL, Culpepper will have to perform well against the iron of the league. Until he can do that, MIA is nothing more than a trendy, pre-season pick.

As a CPep owner this year I have to say that I was mildly pleased with his performance given the situation. When you throw in all the factors going against him last night I thought he did pretty well honestly. First real game action in 10 months. A new team, new receivers, new scheme will take time to adjust to for any QB. Rebuilt knee that although not 100% looked pretty good. Playing against the Pitt D in Pitt? How many QB's are gonna look good when they are at the TOP of their midseason form? Sure CPep made some poor throws and definitely some bad reads(on that pick to Porter he had McMichael 8 yards to the right of where he threw it, wide open in the middle) and generally poor decisions but damn people I think it's WAY too early to nail him to the wall. I still think that in that O he has a chance to be a top 10 QB fantasy-wise, if not better. Outside of 2 games against the Pats the schedule looks pretty darn good for the Fish. Once he gets his feel back and gets more acclimated to the scheme and his receivers he will be fine. (I did almost lose it when I saw him trying to run down Porter, I just knew he was gonna pull a McNabb and reinjure himself).

hell, that game disappointed me as far as he only got me 6 points, but it did make me happy I drafted him. That was his first real game on a brand new team after a layoff of what, a full year?! I thought he showed he still has it and once he is comfortable will be the big steal of the draft this year, considering people like me got him in the 7th round or even later.

As much as it sucks because I have Chambers, my buddies and I were laughing our @sses off last night watching the game. We live in MN and have put up with this overrated clown for too long. The Vikes had to bounce him after he single handedly destroyed the beginning of the 05 season with horrible play, blew his knee out, then demanded more guarantted money from his contract they had just redone for him.

We had to watch that stiff for years as Moss bailed him out time and time again. Everyone tired of Randy's antics, but no one wanted him to go. Everybody up here that knew anything was glad to see them bounce Dauntrizzzay.

With the exception of 04 (and that season is way overrated), the guy is a turnover machine and at the worst possible times. Even in his best year (04), the guy still had 21 turnovers. When your team is down by a score and needs to march down the field for points - you can count on a pick or fumbelina to show up.

Everyone talks about his td's and picks, then forgets his fumbles. The guy averages over a fumble a start. Once Moss left and he didn't have the same defense every snap (hmm, I wonder if they'll roll the safety over to Moss), he was exposed for what he truly is: Aaron Brooks with a bigger arm and more power running the ball. Watch his picks this season, at least half of them will come on a zone defense when one defender is passing coverage off.

Yep, his knee looked great last night. I'd say he is about 90% back. A few in the dirt, a few too high, a bunch of missed reads to open receivers, and a couple picks. If he would have put the ball on the ground once or twice, I'd have to give him the 100%

Sorry for the rant, but I've hardly been able to stomach Sean Salisbury and his mancrush he has with Daunte this offseason. "What a steal by the dolphins; the Vikings gave him away; a probowl qb for a second round pick; etc". Just when the Madden/Brett Farve manlove had an end in sight, a new one pops up!

My eyes are finally starting to open to the Culpepper fraud. :banana:

Culpepper looked like ######, but he shouldn't have even been throwing the ball in some of those situations.

As most Viking fans will tell you.............Vintage Daunte :bench:

Let me start by saying that Culpppper played 3 good quarters.

Vintage Daunte :dunno:

I admit I missed the first half of the game, but from what I saw in the second half he looked like the Culpepper of last year. Unfortunately, that Culpepper really sucked. This year's looking no different. Blame it on rust, play calling, Pitt D, blah, blah, blah.

He looks like he did last year when he was one of the worst QB's in the league. Might he get better this season? Maybe. But all those geniuses predicting top 5 QB for him this year aren't looking too bright now. You know who you are. Don't make me go find those theads. :bench:

Guest Johnny Holmes

Culpepper is not even close to being the best colored QB in the NFL anymore. Too many bad decisions late in games. Plus he is a fumbler as well.

We are all so hyped and jonesing for football. We only had 1 game to watch so someone had to go under the bus...just happened to be that big dumbfock...If they had played the same game on Sunday, reaction wouldnt be as bad with all the other games being played..He is still too dumb to play QB though