Sign in to follow this  
mambokings

This helps explain the Oakland offense (or lack of it)

:Excerpt from ESPN.com:

Walsh has not coached in the NFL since 1994, when he was fired, along with Shell, by the Raiders. Walsh hasn't worked at any level of the game since 1999, when he was director of operations and head coach of a minor-league franchise in Mobile, Alabama, in 1999. Before that, he was head coach at Idaho State, where he compiled a 6-16 record in two seasons. Shell has great faith in Walsh, who worked for the Raiders from 1982 to '94, coaching quarterbacks and receivers before being elevated to coordinator. Walsh most recently has operated a bed-and-breakfast ranch and served as mayor of Swan Valley, Idaho.

:doublethumbsup:

Al Davis will have a new coach next year anyway. Same old song.

I doubt Shell only gets one year. I don't think there's been any Raiders coach that only got one year, although I think Shanahan only got 1 year plus 4 games or something like that... there was a serious personality rift in that situation though.

At any rate, the Raiders really need to scrap this bullcrap of having "their guys" as assistant coaches instead of letting potential quality head coaching candidates delegate and choose their own assistants.

I heard a lot of experts saying during off-season that Oakland is so bad, they might not win more than 2 games all year. After last night, I completely agree.

Holy crap Oakland looked bad. Defensively and offensivly. They are a total laughing stock. And they have the perfect coach to lead that group of idiots... Art Shell. What the hell was Al Davis thinking when he re-hired that loser?

I am SO DAMN HAPPY I didn't draft any Raiders this year. :banana:

We all noticed, and so did the announcers, how outdated the playcalling seemed last night. The Raiders were running deep, deep passing routes, seven-step drops were sent in, and it seemed like regardless of the outcome that's all they had. It was as if someone asked "what if a team from the early 1990s faced off against a 21st century defense?". There was Tom Walsh, removed from pro football for over a decade, calling plays not seen since the days of the run-n-shoot, creating an amazing spectacle of disaster.

Bottom line: if you want a mean flapjack, call Tom Walsh. Need clean bedsheets? Call Tom Walsh. If you're looking for someone to know how to call plays in the NFL, do not call Tom Walsh. You can't just be away from the NFL for over a decade and expect to know what to do when thrown back into the fire. Hell, even when Tom Walsh was in the league it's not like his offensive mind was lighting up the scoreboard (there's a reason he and Art Shell got fired the FIRST time around). I'm sure Tom's a nice guy, and I'll be sure to visit his B&B if I'm ever in Swan Valley, but his presence spells doom for the Raiders' season (unless you get points for having been mayor of Swan Valley).

8th pick out of 10:

I take James, then Jordan with 2.02-

Then Moss at 4.03

Someone please console me

It certainly showed as Walsh did not know how to counteract an aggressive pass rush. Instead of using screens, dump off passes, or misdirection Brooks was still taking 5 step drops. It was a frustrating game to watch. :blink:

It certainly showed as Walsh did not know how to counteract an aggressive pass rush. Instead of using screens, dump off passes, or misdirection Brooks was still taking 5 step drops. It was a frustrating game to watch. :huh:

I agree with Doc.

Has he heard of Shotgun Formation?

FFToday had Jordan as the 1.05 overall for me. How happy am I Tiki fell a spot!

With that in mind, it is just one game.

I remember when I was up at 1.09, I was looking at Jordan and Brown. Luckily, I remembered, I don't draft Raiders or Redskins. Thus, Brown was the pick :banana:

Brooks sucks but most of the problems were play calling. How many sacks does it take for you too realize that you need shorter routes and to stop calling plays with a 7 step drop. Run the ball, play action, and 3 step drop passes. Coaches looked like retards - I have Moss :headbanger:

There were actually times during the game that it appeared Walsh was scrambling through pages of a playbook like someone who's shuffling through a dictionary in order to challenge a word in a game of Scrabble.

Al Davis will have a new coach next year anyway. Same old song.

Maybe Norv Turner will be available..... :unsure:

We all noticed, and so did the announcers, how outdated the playcalling seemed last night. The Raiders were running deep, deep passing routes, seven-step drops were sent in, and it seemed like regardless of the outcome that's all they had. It was as if someone asked "what if a team from the early 1990s faced off against a 21st century defense?". There was Tom Walsh, removed from pro football for over a decade, calling plays not seen since the days of the run-n-shoot, creating an amazing spectacle of disaster.

Bottom line: if you want a mean flapjack, call Tom Walsh. Need clean bedsheets? Call Tom Walsh. If you're looking for someone to know how to call plays in the NFL, do not call Tom Walsh. You can't just be away from the NFL for over a decade and expect to know what to do when thrown back into the fire. Hell, even when Tom Walsh was in the league it's not like his offensive mind was lighting up the scoreboard (there's a reason he and Art Shell got fired the FIRST time around). I'm sure Tom's a nice guy, and I'll be sure to visit his B&B if I'm ever in Swan Valley, but his presence spells doom for the Raiders' season (unless you get points for having been mayor of Swan Valley).

Totally agree, even Gibbs gave up the play calling because he wasnt cutting the mustard, especially that first year back, and he's an "offensive genius"

I was shocked they didn't run any draws with all those bitz. They were only down 13-0 for most of the game. They had a few short passes to Moss that worked well and then.....they call a few 7 step drop pass plays. GOD DAMN IT!

As the Govonator said something like....

"The Raiders are playing fabulous tonight"...."Everyone is having a fabulous time"!

Talk about oblivious....

That was hilarious!

As the Govonator said something like....

"The Raiders are playing fabulous tonight"...."Everyone is having a fabulous time"!

Talk about oblivious....

That was hilarious!

Actually what he said was, "the hiring of Art Shell has obviously invigorated this team" and "they're playing brilliantly" - that was down 13-0.

idiot. :dunno:

So how long will it take Jerry Porter to go to Walsh's or Shell's house and punch them in the face in front of their wife and kids?

Actually what he said was, "the hiring of Art Shell has obviously invigorated this team" and "they're playing brilliantly" - that was down 13-0.

idiot. :thumbsup:

Talk about the absolute worst time to try and put a positive spin on a bad situation... :wub:

I shut the game off at halftime but i did see one bright spot in the stat box....Fargas had 35 yards on 5 carries. :thumbsup:

There were actually times during the game that it appeared Walsh was scrambling through pages of a playbook like someone who's shuffling through a dictionary in order to challenge a word in a game of Scrabble.

Nothing more to add, but boy, did this analogy hit the nail on the head. :dunno: