Sign in to follow this  
Tarheel Boy

Time to get ready for NBA talk

Even though I'm still depressed from the complete meltdown of 3 + months ago by the Mavs, I'm looking forward to this season. The Mavs added some more depth to their bench and picked up some proven players while getting rid of one huge suckass player named Keith Van Suckass. The core is still pretty much intact. Questions I have about the Mavs headed into preseason is:

How much of a hangover will they have from choking in the Finals? There's no doubt they choked away the championship. I read on the board about the Wade treatement and refs and all the other whining and crying, but the fact of the matter is if the Mavs wouldn't have blown a 10 point lead with 6 minutes to go there wouldn't have been an issue. I'm real anxious to see how the team (in particular Dirk) can come back from the disaster. They will either come out with fire and anger and be ready to play, or they'll be scared and have serious doubt in the back of their mind. I'm looking for the former.

Will Avery Johnson be able to make the right moves again this year? For the most part AJ did a fantastic job of making all the right moves during the season and playoffs. The Mavs are still considered behind the Suns and Spurs in many publications, so I expect to see him use that as motivation to get the team ready to play. He still has a lot of work to do for the Mavs defense and hopefully Buckner can provide some good defensive spunk.

Is Diop the real deal? I'm still not completely sold on Diop. Yes, he did great in the Spurs series, but he was pretty much a non factor in the Finals. I'm actually looking forward to seeing if Benga is going to be what many are predicting and that's a very solid big man. If Benga and Diop have developed enough then maybe..just maybe the Mavs have some decent frontcourt presence.

Will Maurice Ager be the next Josh Howard? I was thrilled when the Mavs got Josh Howard and pat myself on the back for coming on this board saying he would be very good. I said the same thing on this board during the draft when Ager kept staying on the board. It might take him most of the season, but I think he is going to be one of the best value picks in the draft. Will he blossom like Howard? Who knows, but I think there's a very good chance that will be the case.

Is Devin Harris ready to take over the PG position full time? The most obvious brilliant move by Johnson in the playoffs was putting Harris in the starting rotation. Teams didn't have the speed to keep up with him and that's what put the Mavs in the Finals. I'm really hoping he's worked on his mid range jumper because if he hasn't then teams like the Spurs will make adjustments for his driving ability. I'm hoping he's developed much like Parker developed during his early years with the Spurs.

Guest Davaco

curly night is dead, so there will be only 4 of you to discuss hoops

Needless to say the Pistons are on their heels, after losing Ben Wallace. But, was he the player last year he was when he first got here?

You could see it in the playoffs he wasn't the same Ben as in years past as I watched Wade drive to the hole uncontested time and time again. Ben wasn't the shot blocking defensive force he used to be.

The bench is weak other then McDyess I'm not sure who is going to play. So, look for the starters to log major minutes.

Rip needs to find his shot again. He missed way too many open 15 footers in the playoffs and Chauncey needs to have another MVP type season again.

curly night is dead, so there will be only 4 of you to discuss hoops

Yeah, I always took a lot of stock in her bandwagon jumping from one team to the next. I'm sure she'll be a Phoenix fan this year as well.

The Pacers already are making headlines for all the wrong reasons. :blink:

I thought the Mavericks were the best team last year and coulda/shoulda won it.

The West looks mighty tough again. With a healthy Duncan and Manu, I think the Spurs are the team to beat.

Looking forward to a wide-open season. Hopefully the matriculation to fast-break, team-oriented basketball continues and the plodding superstar driven title of the Heat was an aberration.

The Pacers already are making headlines for all the wrong reasons. :rolleyes:

I thought the Mavericks were the best team last year and coulda/shoulda won it.

The West looks mighty tough again. With a healthy Duncan and Manu, I think the Spurs are the team to beat.

Looking forward to a wide-open season. Hopefully the matriculation to fast-break, team-oriented basketball continues and the plodding superstar driven title of the Heat was an aberration.

I have to give you props last year because you did state early on the Mavs were going to do something special.

:blink:

Yeah, who knows what's going to happen with the Pacers. What a mess right now.

Wake me up when the Celtics are good again. :(

Nice knowing you Mr. Van Winkle

Wake me up when the Celtics are good again. :(

As a fellow Celtics fan, let me say, rest in peace.

I predict another year of greed, selfishness, lackluster playing and declining popularity.

:dunno:

I was a major NBA junkie growing up but over the past 8 years or so I've found myself watching NBA games less and less. I'd much rather watch college hoops.

Pistons!!!!! :banana: :dunno: :P Obvious, Big Ben leaving will have an impact. Question is, how much and for how long.

The defense will not be as good without them, but, i think the offense will be better. Nazr isn't much better than Ben on the offensive end, but, i am guessing Dyess will log more minutes, and when he is on, he is a beast.

I think Ben's lackluster effort and FT shooting in the playoffs cost them a championship. I found myself game after game saying "What is going on with Ben?" He just wasn't into it, and the rest of the team suffered from it. I am VERY suprised they got as far as they did, game 6 vs. Miami in the ECF, that is not bad.

This year, i think they will be championship contenders for one reason....Tayshaun Prince. NO ONE in the league can guard him, he will explode this season. Plus, they still got Rip, Chauncey, Sheed, Dyess, added Murray. They will be fine, are they as good as they were before??? No. However, i still think if their team chemisty is still there, and in the playoffs, they regain that edge factor, they could go all the way.

My homer pick is the Pistons, but, i think realistically the Mavs are the best team on paper, they are very deep.

Pistons!!!!! :wacko: :blink: :doh: Obvious, Big Ben leaving will have an impact. Question is, how much and for how long.

The defense will not be as good without them, but, i think the offense will be better. Nazr isn't much better than Ben on the offensive end, but, i am guessing Dyess will log more minutes, and when he is on, he is a beast.

I think Ben's lackluster effort and FT shooting in the playoffs cost them a championship. I found myself game after game saying "What is going on with Ben?" He just wasn't into it, and the rest of the team suffered from it. I am VERY suprised they got as far as they did, game 6 vs. Miami in the ECF, that is not bad.

This year, i think they will be championship contenders for one reason....Tayshaun Prince. NO ONE in the league can guard him, he will explode this season. Plus, they still got Rip, Chauncey, Sheed, Dyess, added Murray. They will be fine, are they as good as they were before??? No. However, i still think if their team chemisty is still there, and in the playoffs, they regain that edge factor, they could go all the way.

My homer pick is the Pistons, but, i think realistically the Mavs are the best team on paper, they are very deep.

I think they fall to the middle of the pack defensively and turn into a less offensively potent version of the Suns. And unfortunately, the rest of the East should be better. Sure, the Pistons are a top 3 team in the East but it won't be easy. The Heat still have Shaq. The Bulls are a year older and much improved. LeBron is a year older. I think the Wizards are going to surprise people. The Magic are probably 5 wins better. The Hawks should be improved. There's only 3 teams in the East that look to be worse: Indiana, Philly, and likely Detroit.

76ers couldn't even beat some Barcelona team :blink: i have a feeling its going to be another ugly season but i'm trying to stay optimisitc and convince myself that they will be better. maybe Dalembert will show up this year and be a defensive force. maybe Iggy takes the next step. maybe Carney can provide so much needed D. maybe AI can carry them the rest of the way. i hope.

I was a major NBA junkie growing up but over the past 8 years or so I've found myself watching NBA games less and less. I'd much rather watch college hoops.

There are few, if any, heroes left in the NBA. You don't have guys like Jordan, Bird, Hakeem, Barkley, etc., out there making people excited about the game. It's all a bunch of greedy hot doggers who could care less about fundamentals and team play.

A group of some of the better players couldn't win a world championship.

The Clippers couldn't beat a bunch of goons from Russia.

We're no longer even the world's best at the sport we created.

The world has passed us by in basketball, and I can no longer watch the train wreck.

I just got my first few sets of Mavs tickets last night. I do a 3-way split of a pair of tix. Can't wait for it all to start. Looking forward to seeing what Anthony Johnson and Ager can bring to the table. I'm optimistic about the Mavs, but if Amare can be productive, I think the Suns may run up the best record.

I just got my first few sets of Mavs tickets last night. I do a 3-way split of a pair of tix. Can't wait for it all to start. Looking forward to seeing what Anthony Johnson and Ager can bring to the table. I'm optimistic about the Mavs, but if Amare can be productive, I think the Suns may run up the best record.

I'm going to the Hornets game the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I've never sat in Section 102. Are those pretty good seats?

We've been spoiled in Detroit for a long time. It'll be disspirting to watch the team go from elite contender to a .540 team entering the playoffs with the six seed. I have very little enthusiasm for this season.

There's no bench. It's not so bad shifting Ben minutes to Dyce minutes, it's shifting Dyce minutes to Muhammid minutes where the problem occurs. I wish we had kept Darko, now that we actually need him, he's not here.

i joined a FB league and drafted...28 rounds...

NO IDEA whos idea it was to have 28 rounds...

i drafted gasol in the 3rd round...GB not rememberign that hes out for the year :banana: i can STILL win this league..

i was offered garnett and burke(from phx) for paul and morrison and i told the guy to eat a poo burger..

im so good... :headbanger: no one wants to see my 28 player team.. :wacko:

i drafted gasol in the 3rd round...GB not rememberign that hes out for the year :banana: i can STILL win this league..

i was offered garnett and burke(from phx) for paul and morrison and i told the guy to eat a poo burger..

im so good... :headbanger: no one wants to see my 28 player team.. :wacko:

28 rounds?? Good grief there's no FA's worth a shiot then. I'm thinking about playing in a FB league this year. I'm sure posty wants me to run it again. :D

im so good... :headbanger: no one wants to see my 28 player team.. :D

My history with fantasy basketball is not good at all. :wacko:

I drafted players based on their scoring ability, not taking much into account rebounding, assists, turnovers, FG%, etc. That's why I was so bad. It's like getting a bunch of Richie Sexsons in fantasy baseball (he'll get you HR/RBI and little of anything else).

I still remember the days when Eddie Jones was the top ranked player on Yahoo. I never understood that.

28 rounds?? Good grief there's no FA's worth a shiot then. I'm thinking about playing in a FB league this year. I'm sure posty wants me to run it again. :D

17 teams :clap: and i dont watch hoops..you would kick azz....

i drafted names after awhile..heres my team....dont ask me about scoring :clap: ..its roto... the last few rounds,i was asking if i could write in for rodman..kemp..no luck...

guards-

c paul-nok

s claxton-atl

r mccants-min

t diener-orl

j tinsley-ind

d harris-dal

l hunter-det

c miles-utah

j williams-nj(yeah, the old hurt Bull)

forwards-

r artest-sac

a morrison-cha

r gay-mem

bo outlaw-orl

f oberto-sa

j collins-nj

c williamson-sac

o harrington-cha

b nachbar-nj

s novak-hou

pau gasol-ir for a long time :dunno:

centers-

shaq-mia

j magloire-port

k pittsnogle-bos

l woods-sac

s marks-pho

m ilic-nj

v potapenko-sac

b n'dong-lac *my last pick* i heard he was long... n'long n'dong, me love you long time... :clap:

i havent been in a FB league since the days when OJ interrupted the rockets series with his crazy Bronco ride...28 rounds...i have never heard of 1/4 of these guys...6 bench spots lol...

17 teams :clap: and i dont watch hoops..you would kick azz....

i drafted names after awhile..heres my team....dont ask me about scoring :mad: ..its roto... the last few rounds,i was asking if i could write in for rodman..kemp..no luck...

guards-

c paul-nok

s claxton-atl

r mccants-min

t diener-orl

j tinsley-ind

d harris-dal

l hunter-det

c miles-utah

j williams-nj(yeah, the old hurt Bull)

forwards-

r artest-sac

a morrison-cha

r gay-mem

bo outlaw-orl

f oberto-sa

j collins-nj

c williamson-sac

o harrington-cha

b nachbar-nj

s novak-hou

pau gasol-ir for a long time :mad:

centers-

shaq-mia

j magloire-port

k pittsnogle-bos

l woods-sac

s marks-pho

m ilic-nj

v potapenko-sac

b n'dong-lac *my last pick* i heard he was long... n'long n'dong, me love you long time... :dunno:

i havent been in a FB league since the days when OJ interrupted the rockets series with his crazy Bronco ride...28 rounds...i have never heard of 1/4 of these guys...6 bench spots lol...

Dang you have a pretty good team. After Shaq your centers aren't that great, but you have Chris Paul, Morrison, and Gay. A lot of young players, but they'll put up points. I see you got Harris as well. I think Claxton will be one of your better players as well for fill in purposes.

Dang you have a pretty good team. After Shaq your centers aren't that great, but you have Chris Paul, Morrison, and Gay. A lot of young players, but they'll put up points. I see you got Harris as well. I think Claxton will be one of your better players as well for fill in purposes.

I was thinking the same thing. The Gasol pick was tough, but that's a lot of pretty decent players for so many teams and so many rounds. A lot of depth at least.

i didnt get a book or anything(waste of $)...

it was a spur of the moment thing..put nba.com on the screen..depth charts and had at it..i KNEW gasol was hurt..i had a brain fart...then again, he will be back 2nd half of the year maybe..thats ok...

devan played at wisconsin..diener marquette(too bad he was hurt before the tourney) and i think novak was marquette also..i know the local guys..and the gang talked about here..that i could recall :banana: they arent wade clones..i just needed minutes for this dumb league..

if u guys create another for here..ill join in...ive seen 475 guys get drafted..i wont draft any better but i know more names now...

thanks for the compliments..my luck the league will just fold haha.. :pointstosky:

oh..and shaq went in the 5th round..i think his injuries and ft % scared people...thats ok...my fave player..

but the center thing? gasol is listed at pf AND c..i had that all figured out... <_< pittsnogle is listed as a c..wasnt he a F or am i thinking of someone else?..

anyway...i WAS getting a lil excited for the real Bucks..but losing Bogut for 2 months takes some air out of that sail... :headbanger:

There are few, if any, heroes left in the NBA. You don't have guys like Jordan, Bird, Hakeem, Barkley, etc., out there making people excited about the game. It's all a bunch of greedy hot doggers who could care less about fundamentals and team play.

A group of some of the better players couldn't win a world championship.

The Clippers couldn't beat a bunch of goons from Russia.

We're no longer even the world's best at the sport we created.

The world has passed us by in basketball, and I can no longer watch the train wreck.

This entire post is absolute and utter bull ######.

Wake me up when the Celtics are good again. :)

They should actually be very entertaining. They're still so young but they might surprise some people this year. They finally have a true point guard(s), Jefferson has gotten into shape, and Perkins is a beast. Maybe im drinking too much of the kool aid from the celticsblog boards but for the first time in awhile im looking forward to watching them play some entertaining ball.

Randy Foye will be ROY :banana:

Brandon Roy should have a good year for a bad Blazers team. Those two are probably the favorites, with Morrison up there as well