Sign in to follow this  
MLCKAA

Toddlers: How to potty train **UPDATED**

My 2.5 yr old TOTALLY gets the concept and will use the toilet most times when put on it, but isn't especially motivated to stop whizzing or crapping in her pants.

I'm tired of buying and changing diapers/pull-ups.

My sister said her daughter did basically the same thing, so my sister stopped using diapers/pull ups and put my niece into panties. Apparently my niece really disliked the feeling of wet/poopy panties and quickly learned to hold it until she got to the toilet.

What other ideas are out there for how to "turn the corner" on this thing?

next time she pizzes or shiats in her pants, take her pants off, rub her nose in it and whip her on the nose with a newspaper! :lol:

Hit her with a rake.

Fixored

Two things parents THINK they have control over with their toddlers: what they put in their bodies, and when it comes out.

Our pedi suggested to teach our son to have responsibility for his body and himself. If he crapped in his big boy underwear, he had to help clean it up. It was nasty, but it taught him. The reward thing might work, depends on your kid, though. It didn't work with my son...we had a present wrapped and waiting and he didn't care.

Our pedi also told us to stop askig him when he had to go, and let him tell us. We didn't just randomly put him on the toilet, we waited until he told us he had to go. This also teaches them responsibility for their bodies.

Just be patient, and don't punish her if she has an accident. The last thing you want is a kid getting all consitpated because they are afriad to poop.

GL.

My wife complains about her Redtoddler potty training.

It is quite the struggle.

The $150 method. Have her walk around the house nekkid on the bottom. When she goes it will run down her legs and she'll hate it. In a few days, you are done (except for pullups at night for a while). Then spend $150 to get the carpets cleaned. :ninja:

I am not the right person to ask. My oldest was 4 by the time he trained. My youngest is 3 and is still crapping in his diapers. :(

Girls are supposed to be easier than boys, however.

One thing that I will suggest is that I have been telling my boys that for every diaper that they make me change while they are toddlers, I am going to have one for them when I am old. Payback is a biotch. :cry:

video

This video put out by Duke really helped my kids. It is really really corny. But it worked b/c of the songs about going, wiping etc.

What we did was say "we're not using diapers anymore." and we didn't go back. no pullups. This was after each kid was ready and showing some interest in the potty.

I just carried lots of spare clothes. It helped that both of my kids went to preschool where other kids were also using the potty.

Some parents have luck with keeping a chart by the potty. Every time you go in the potty, you get a star after five or ten stars you get a reward.

I would also suggest getting a seat that you can attach to the big potty and not one of those little ones. The cleanup is a pain.

A seat attached to the big potty makes using a toilet alone an easier transition.

That's my 2 cents.

good luck.

I have heard letting them pick their own underwear out might help. Like if your daughter likes dora, then she won't want to sh!t on dora's face :rolleyes:

I have heard letting them pick their own underwear out might help. Like if your daughter likes dora, then she won't want to sh!t on dora's face :cheers:

Yeah, that doesn't work. Pretty soon they realize that shItting on dora's face isnt' that bad...and Mommy and Daddy clean it up!!!

video

This video put out by Duke really helped my kids. It is really really corny. But it worked b/c of the songs about going, wiping etc.

:pointstosky:

This video really helped motivate our first kid. You'll want to put an ice pick through your brain while watching it, but the kids really love it. Our 2nd is watching it now. :pointstosky:

I hear beating them scares them sh1tless

My sister said her daughter did basically the same thing, so my sister stopped using diapers/pull ups and put my niece into panties. Apparently my niece really disliked the feeling of wet/poopy panties and quickly learned to hold it until she got to the toilet.

My parents did this to me and I'm STILL in therapy b/c of it. I mean, it's hard enough being a little boy who keeps crapping his pants, but then when your parents make you wear panties? - I mean, it's just embarassing. All the other kids even made up a name for me. To this day, I can't go to a school reunion without some jughead shouting out: "Hey everybody - it's PantyCrapper!".

:lol:

We need to have a "Battle of the Worst Geek Parents". Four years old and still not potty trained? Jeesh.

The only perfect parents are people who don't have kids. HTH

There is a book you may want to consider called "Toilet training your child in less than a day"

We did this on our son, which while that particular attempt did not work as well as I would have liked, he was trained at about 2 1/4 years. No regrets there, as it was obvious that he picked some things up from it.

My parents did this to me and I'm STILL in therapy b/c of it. I mean, it's hard enough being a little boy who keeps crapping his pants, but then when your parents make you wear panties? - I mean, it's just embarassing. All the other kids even made up a name for me. To this day, I can't go to a school reunion without some jughead shouting out: "Hey everybody - it's PantyCrapper!".

:blink:

You must make some therapist happy. Very, very happy. ;)

You must make some therapist happy. Very, very happy. ;)

Tell me about it. I can't watch a Victoria's Secret commercial without shiiting myself. :blink:

There is a book you may want to consider called "Toilet training your child in less than a day"

We did this on our son, which while that particular attempt did not work as well as I would have liked, he was trained at about 2 1/4 years. No regrets there, as it was obvious that he picked some things up from it.

I think my sister used this with one of her kids with good results, if it's the one I'm thinking of. Didnt' work as well with the 2nd kid. I guess she had to spend the whole day by her side talking about it and practicing what the book teaches and everything. She said it kind of sucked, but it was well worth it.

Tell me about it. I can't watch a Victoria's Secret commercial without shiiting myself. :blink:

LOL

I thought Joneo was twisted.

Learning to use the potty is just one step in potty training, don't get frustrated if it still takes them a while to be totally independent about it. For our daughter heaping praise and m&m's when she went on the potty did the trick over the course of a few months, right around her 3rd birthday.

I just took a poo. Does anybody want to praise me?

- I could sure use some of those M&M's too. This one took a lot out of me. - So to speak.

I just took a poo. Does anybody want to praise me?

- I could sure use some of those M&M's too. This one took a lot out of me. - So to speak.

If I was there I would give you a big hug and toss you high on the air, and then maybe give you one of those fart kisses on your stomach, and then I'd chant "wiffle poopied on the potty! he poopied on the potty! woot woot woot woot!" while performing a "raising the roof" motion on my way to the kitchen to get you a single m&m out of your special m&m potty jar. I really and truly would.

My daughters were both completely potty-trained by the time they were two. You could count on one hand the times either of them went in their pants afterwards. My wife and I kick ass at potty training, by which I mean my wife kicks ass at potty training and I really don't have a focking clue how she did it. :bench:

HTH!

We need to have a "Battle of the Worst Geek Parents". Four years old and still not potty trained? Jeesh.

:doublethumbsup:

I used to think the exact same way. Then I had kids and was educated on what life is really like. Someday, you may get educated as well.

Saturday morning we put her in underwear and ahe soiled them the next 3 times she went. But, she has used the toilet exclusively since midday Saturday and it looks like there is no turning back!!! Happiest day in a while! :banana: :thumbsdown: :banana:

Saturday morning we put her in underwear and ahe soiled them the next 3 times she went. But, she has used the toilet exclusively since midday Saturday and it looks like there is no turning back!!! Happiest day in a while! :clap: :doublethumbsup: :dunno:

Congrats dood. :lol: Hardest part of parenting is keeping at it through the hard times to achieve the goal.