Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Water Poisoning

A woman who won a video game console by downing massive quantities of water in California radio contest said Monday she was shocked by the death of a fellow contestant.

"You don't think water's going to kill you," Lucy Davidson told CNN. "You're at the radio station having fun."

Jennifer Lea Strange, 28, mother of three, died late Friday after drinking over two litres of water in station KDND 107.9's "Hold your Wee for a Wii" contest, the Sacramento Bee reported.

Contestants in the California city of Sacramento competed to see how much water they could hold without going to the bathroom. The prize was the highly-sought Nintendo Wii gaming console that was hard to come by during the Christmas splurge.

After the 6 am contest, Srrange went to work but complained of a headache and went home, the Bee reported. She was found dead about 2 pm.

During the contest, a nurse called in to the station warn of the dangers of drinking too much water quickly. Her worries were dismissed by the disc jockey, The Bee reported.

Experts said too much water can dilute the body's chemical balance, or even cause organs such as the brain to swell.

The winner, Davidson, said she was "sick" afterwards.

"I was throwing up, I couldn't even function, I couldn't do anything," she said

They finally released the amunt of water this woman drank. I was expecting gallons, but all she had was 2 litres. Hell, I easily drink that much every day - sometimes in one setting. That isn't much at all.

I thought it was common knowledge that you could drink yourself to death with water... guess not :dunno:

I thought it was common knowledge that you could drink yourself to death with water... guess not :dunno:

Yeah, but 2 liters?

I thought it was common knowledge that you could drink yourself to death with water... guess not :thumbsup:

That's it!

I'm stickin with beer. :dunno:

Hey Toro......join me!

Yeah, but 2 liters?

can't a bladder only hold like 600-800ml or fluid? if you dont take a leak, it'll back up your kidneys and maybe liver?

2 liters isn't a lot to drink, but it IS a lot to drink if you aren't going to the bathroom! That's what did her in! I can see a huge lawsuit against the radio station/DJ, especially seeing how a nurse called in and said it was dangerous, and they blasted her and dismissed her advice all together

can't a bladder only hold like 600-800ml or fluid? if you dont take a leak, it'll back up your kidneys and maybe liver?

2 liters isn't a lot to drink, but it IS a lot to drink if you aren't going to the bathroom! That's what did her in! I can see a huge lawsuit against the radio station/DJ, especially seeing how a nurse called in and said it was dangerous, and they blasted her and dismissed her advice all together

What if you take the 2 liters anally? :dunno:

I believe I have a much bigger bladder than that woman. It's the woman's fault for having a tiny bladder. Damn wimmen and their tiny bladders. :dunno:

I believe I have a much bigger bladder than that woman. It's the woman's fault for having a tiny bladder. Damn wimmen and their tiny bladders. :pointstosky:

that chick will never make another man stop 8 times on a 3 hour road trip.

that chick will never make another man stop 8 times on a 3 hour road trip.

unless of course her corpse starts to stink

This is use to be a big problem with marathon runners. After the race they would down massive amounts of water only to cause brain swelling. I never heard of anyone dying though. The excess water goes into your cells, especialy brain cells, and causes swelling. The swelling puts pressure on your skull. Bad news all around.

almost as funny as throwing turkeys out of a helicoptor

"OH MY GOD! They're falling to earth like bags of wet cement!" :pointstosky:

almost as funny as throwing turkeys out of a helicoptor

I swear I thought turkeys could fly.

I can see a huge lawsuit against the radio station/DJ,

There had better not be a lawsuit. :banana:

As bad as I feel for the womans family, she signed a release of liability. How in the world could it be the stations fault at all? They promoted a contest, the woman decided to do it, she ovbiously didn't check to see if there was any danger in doing it, so why blame the station? Did they force her to not piss? No.

One of the main problems in America today is everyone wants a free ride. If they can't make it themselves, they feed off of the deep pockets that have.

Lawsuits have their place, but not in this case.

Also, I'd be willing to bet that she might have a pre-existing condition that helped this happen.

Wonder if there will be an autopsy?

They finally released the amunt of water this woman drank. I was expecting gallons, but all she had was 2 litres. Hell, I easily drink that much every day - sometimes in one setting. That isn't much at all.

TMI approaching...

After I had my daughter via c-section, they removed my Foley (sp) catheter TOO early. I couldn't pee on my own. I knew I had to go, would sit there and absolutely NOTHING would happen. They told me to wait three more hours...all this time, I was drinking water and they were pumping me with IV fluids.

Finally, they said that they had to re-insert the cath, and I was in SO much pain, I can't even describe it. Right around my left rib cage area, I had started to get this HUGE hard LUMP that was painful.

They inserted the cath and within five minutes or less, two liters of urine immediately filled the bag. The hard lump dissappeared, and all I can think of is that my bladder was getting so huge that it was pushing all of my other organs up.

Two liters is a TON of water for the body to hold.

There had better not be a lawsuit. :dunno:

As bad as I feel for the womans family, she signed a release of liability. How in the world could it be the stations fault at all? They promoted a contest, the woman decided to do it, she ovbiously didn't check to see if there was any danger in doing it, so why blame the station? Did they force her to not piss? No.

One of the main problems in America today is everyone wants a free ride. If they can't make it themselves, they feed off of the deep pockets that have.

Lawsuits have their place, but not in this case.

Also, I'd be willing to bet that she might have a pre-existing condition that helped this happen.

Wonder if there will be an autopsy?

IMO, the radio stations (ANY radio station) shoud research possible affects from their lame ass contests. Yes, the staiton should have been aware of "water poisoning."

Did the clause that she signed indicate that she might die?

What if you take the 2 liters anally? :dunno:

Saw Jackass 2 last night, SteveO bongs a beer into his arse, didnt seem to pleasant.

I feel for this ladys kids though, fock. Mom KIA for trying to make her kids happier. If im the kids, I dont think I want anything to do with the game system anymore, painful thoughts.

TMI approaching...

After I had my daughter via c-section, they removed my Foley (sp) catheter TOO early. I couldn't pee on my own. I knew I had to go, would sit there and absolutely NOTHING would happen. They told me to wait three more hours...all this time, I was drinking water and they were pumping me with IV fluids.

Finally, they said that they had to re-insert the cath, and I was in SO much pain, I can't even describe it. Right around my left rib cage area, I had started to get this HUGE hard LUMP that was painful.

They inserted the cath and within five minutes or less, two liters of urine immediately filled the bag. The hard lump dissappeared, and all I can think of is that my bladder was getting so huge that it was pushing all of my other organs up.

IMO, the radio stations (ANY radio station) shoud research possible affects from their lame ass contests. Yes, the staiton should have been aware of "water poisoning."

also, too add:

It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

Water Intoxication & Hyponatremia

Crazy stuff. I guess everything is better in moderation.

TMI approaching...

I have no idea what the clause indicated, but I would guess that it was pretty all inclusive.

As far as the researching goes, mebbe they did :dunno: I seriously doubt it, though.

Either way, she entered the contest. They did not force her to. The responsibility for the research should be on her IMO.

Plus, I think that you will agree, that this was a freak occurrence. A very sad one, too :doh:

I have no idea what the clause indicated, but I would guess that it was pretty all inclusive.

As far as the researching goes, mebbe they did :dunno: I seriously doubt it, though.

Either way, she entered the contest. They did not force her to. The responsibility for the research should be on her IMO.

Plus, I think that you will agree, that this was a freak occurrence. A very sad one, too :doh:

Freak occurrence? Meh, maybe. However, many a college student has died from this, during "initiations" or hazings - or whatever it is that they do.

Nope, the people who put on the contest sho

If she should know better, they should know better. They profitted off of her no matter what it was, so what ever the station made off of the event, I would argue they at least owe that to the family.

Freak occurrence? Meh, maybe. However, many a college student has died from this, during "initiations" or hazings - or whatever it is that they do.

Same with kids on ecstasy. Its not a freak accident and should be more well known at this point.

Drinking water??? Really??? :dunno:

I allways assumed it was from alcohol :dunno:

Suing isn't right, but it was a stupid call on the radio station's part. The chance someone is going to want it that bad and really try to hold in that much water is high enough to assume it could be a dangerous contest.

During the contest, a nurse called in to the station warn of the dangers of drinking too much water quickly. Her worries were dismissed by the disc jockey, The Bee reported.

:dunno:

Suing isn't right, but it was a stupid call on the radio station's part. The chance someone is going to want it that bad and really try to hold in that much water is high enough to assume it could be a dangerous contest.

:dunno:

A voice of reason :dunno:

Even if it is an evil voice that plays horrible pranks on unsuspecting idiots :lol:

"You don't think water's going to kill you," Lucy Davidson told CNN. "You're at the radio station having fun."

Duh, it's called drowning. :cheers:

Damn, I missed a great opportunity for a golden shower from TNG. :thumbsup: :lol:

Duh, it's called drowning. :banana:

Damn, I missed a great opportunity for a golden shower from TNG. :dunno: :wub:

:lol:

I once drank 8 12oz cups of beer in 43 seconds. Not only am I still alive, I didn't even vomit.

The lesson here is to drink beer instead of water.

Fock it, I KNOW I've consumed 2+ litres of fluids w/o peeing (or excessively sweating) before. In the interest of furthering board science, I'm going to do this between now and next week sometime. 2 litres of water - no peeing.

If you suddenly don't hear from me, you'll know what happened.

Wish me luck!

:banana:

Fock it, I KNOW I've consumed 2+ litres of fluids w/o peeing (or excessively sweating) before.

WOW! How many dudes was that?!?

Radio station announces 3 disc jockies and 7 other employees have been fired.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. Jan 16, 2007 (AP)— A radio station fired three morning disc jockeys and seven other employees Tuesday after a woman died from drinking nearly two gallons of water in a contest.

The hosts of KDND-FM's "Morning Rave" were fired a day after the station announced it was suspending the show and investigating the death of 28-year-old Jennifer Lea Strange.

She died Friday after drinking the water in an attempt to win a Nintendo Wii, competing to see who could drink the most water without going to the bathroom.

John Geary, vice president and general manager of KDND's parent company, Entercom/Sacramento, announced that 10 employees were fired.

Strange died of water intoxication, according to a preliminary autopsy. Drinking large quantities of water rapidly can cause brain swelling and lead to seizures, coma and death.

The county sheriff's office said it was not investigating.

Radio Station Faces Criminal Probe, Lawsuit

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2804645&page=1

Jan. 18, 2006— A homicide investigation is under way, 10 radio station employees have been fired and the three children of 28-year-old Jennifer Lea Strange have lost their mother. "She was trying to win something for her family that she thought we would enjoy," the woman's husband said in a short statement to news cameras. "We will miss her dearly. She was my girl."

Strange entered a water-drinking contest on Jan. 12 called "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" sponsored by the Sacramento radio station KDND-FM. The concept was simple: The three disc jockeys running the morning "Rave" program would award a prized Nintendo video game console to the contestant who could drink the most water without having to use the bathroom or throw up.

Strange placed second after drinking nearly two gallons of water. Preliminary findings from the Sacramento County coroner's office indicate the death is "consistent with water intoxication."

Now, Sacramento County Sheriff John McGinnes has assigned homicide detectives to look into Strange's death and the Strange family is expected to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the station. That announcement could come today.

It is possible to drink too much water — it's called hyponatremia. When the body's balance of salt and water becomes too diluted, it can cause swelling in the brain. Cells take on extra water and expand. Early signs include headaches and impaired mental function. According to the broadcast of the program, those are exactly the symptoms Jennifer complained of to the disc jockeys during the contest.

DJ: "Jennifer, I heard you were not doing too well."

Jennifer:"My head hurts."

DJ: "Aw."

Jennifer: "They keep telling me it's the water. It will tell my head to hurt and that it will make me puke, but … "

DJ: "Who told you that? The intern?"

Jennifer: "Yeah, it makes you … it hurts, but it makes me feel light-headed."

Judy Linder, a registered nurse listening to the program, was so alarmed that she asked a colleague to call the station to warn them of the contest's dangers. "She told them you could die from water intoxication," Linder said. "He [the disc jockey] pretty much blew that off and said they signed a release so, so what? Then he said, 'Why don't your guys come down here and do it?' and we said, 'Because we don't want to die.'"

John Geary, general manager of Entercom/Sacramento, the station's parent company, recorded a statement for radio station listeners: "First and foremost, our thoughts and sympathies go out to Jennifer's family and loved ones. I also want to assure you that the circumstances regarding this matter are being examined as thoroughly as possible."

Hours later, a second statement was issued: "Effective immediately the morning program 'The Rave' is cancelled and 10 employees are no longer with the station."

"This is nothing new," said fellow disc jockey Bruce Maiman from KFBK-FM, another station in Sacramento. "I can empathize with what they did…because it's been done hundreds of times."

Water intoxication can be a problem for marathon runners and other athletes who lose and replace fluids rapidly. But there are other infamous cases tied to stunt behavior. In nearby Chico, Calif., Matthew Carrington, 21, died after drinking excessive amounts of water during a fraternity initiation ritual. At the time, just over two years ago, news media in Sacramento, including radio stations, reported extensively on the case.

During the broadcast, the disc jockeys appeared to joke about the the possible dangers of consuming too much water and allude to the Carrington story from 2005. "Yeah, we're aware of that," one of the disc jockeys said. Another disc jockey said: "Yeah. They signed releases, so we're not responsible. We're OK." "And if they get to the point where they have to throw up, then they're going to throw up, and they're out of the contest before they die, so that's good, right?" another disc jockey said.

Sacramento attorney and former U.S. Attorney Bill Portanova said he believes the Chico case will be important to any lawsuit filed against the station.

If KDND-FM reported on Carrington's death, they should have known about the risks. As for the release signed by each of the contest's 18 participants, according to Portanova, "you can't agree in advance to someone's negligence." He expects there will be an out of court settlement.

There is at least one other recent criminal case involving water intoxication. Jennete Killback forced her 4-year-old daughter to drink a lethal amount of water. The family said it was part of a treatment program for "misbehavior." Killback was found guilty and could spend up to 15 years in jail.

Contestant James Ybarra was one of the last people to talk to Strange. "She was a nice lady," Ybarra said. "She was telling about her family and her three kids and how she was doing it for her kids."

Strange later called her employer to say she would not be coming into work. Co-workers said that she was crying and later asked Jennifer's mother to check on her. She found her daughter's body at the family's suburban home in nearby Rancho Cordova, Calif. "It's just a terrible thing," said Linder, the nurse who called the station. "The whole thing shouldn't have happened…but maybe other people will have learned from this and it will save more lives."

Tracy Beam, Strange's friend, puts the blame squarely on the station. "People have died form this before, and here we are. We don't have our Jennifer."