Sign in to follow this  
IndyTom

David Carr Being Shopped for a 3rd Round Pick

http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2007/...nd_the_nfl.html

January 25, 2007

Carr talk around the NFL

Apparently word is circulating around the league that the Texans' David Carr "might" be available for a third-round draft pick. Wonder who started that rumor.

In our expert opinion, that just might be true.

Elsewhere ... The King might be available if Halle Berry called.

This rumor is good news for some Texans fans, but bad news for others. Unfortunately for Carr, it seems like an indicator that the end is near.

I checked with a couple of league sources: two said they were aware of it, another said he had not been told that by any reliable source, but got wind of the talk at the Senior Bowl this week. All said it is too early to tell if the talk is legit and it would be premature to assume anything is imminent if they are.

"The Texans are probably just feeling out the market," one said. "It wouldn't be out of the question that they might not get an offer they deem acceptable and they bring Carr back.

"You can do worse at quarterback than David Carr, and nobody wants to just throw away a former No. 1 pick."

A pro personnel assistant said there is no way the Texans could get a third-round pick for Carr, but a conditional fourth-rounder probably isn't out of the question.

Last offseason, the Vikings got a second-round pick for Daunte Culpepper and the Lions picked up a sixth-round choice (moved up to a fifth-rounder after Harrington reached a certain amount of playing time).

If a Carr trade were to happen, it would not go down until around the start of free agency (March 2). Expect talks, or rumors of said talks, to heat up the week before that at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis.

If the Texans can't get more for Carr than the Lions got for Harrington, it might make sense to keep him.

Any team would be nuts not to make that deal.

Carr is a stud if you give him time to play. He could be "damaged goods" after the years of abuse, but put him behind a competent O-Line and he'll be the man. 3rd round pick is like backup QB money - I hope the Niners pick him up.

Carr is a stud if you give him time to play. He could be "damaged goods" after the years of abuse, but put him behind a competent O-Line and he'll be the man. 3rd round pick is like backup QB money - I hope the Niners pick him up.

yes, i remember many saying the exact--the EXACT--same thing about harrington. and i remember phin fans jumping for joy when they "stole" joey from his jail cell in detroit.

how'd that turn out by the way? curious. :unsure:

that's not a guarantee it'd be the same with carr...but buyer beware. if it's really a backup qb you want, one can be had much cheaper than a 3rd round pick.

Good thing the Texans didn't take Bush or Vince Young because of D.Davis and Carr. :P

It looks like both Texas teams are clueless right now. :dunno:

Carr is a stud if you give him time to play...put him behind a competent O-Line and he'll be the man.

I really hope you're joking. Carr has shown no evidence that he can be a stud in the NFL. None. And had he NOT be chosen at the top of the draft, he'd be languishing on some team's bench as, at best, a back-up QB.

Clearly, Carr is nothing special. They'd be lucky to get a half-empty can of Mountain Dew for him. :dunno:

I really hope you're joking. Carr has shown no evidence that he can be a stud in the NFL. None. And had he NOT be chosen at the top of the draft, he'd be languishing on some team's bench as, at best, a back-up QB.

Clearly, Carr is nothing special. They'd be lucky to get a half-empty can of Mountain Dew for him. :first:

David Carr is worth a 4th rounder at most......nothing higher

Did any of you ever see him play before the Texans?

Remember when everyone was slobbering all over DDavis? Yeah - that was with Carr throwing him the rock.

Andre Johnson's big year, Carr looked very good at times.

Fact is he's never had a team around him. He's the most abused QB in the game the last several years, and he had 1 WR worth half a crap and little defense to speak of. His NFL career is not representative of his abilities. 3rd rounder is a steal - Carr was a top prospect for a reason.

Remember when everyone was slobbering all over DDavis? Yeah - that was with Carr throwing him the rock.

Fact is he's never had a team around him. He's the most abused QB in the game the last several years, and he had 1 WR worth half a crap and little defense to speak of. His NFL career is not representative of his abilities. 3rd rounder is a steal - Carr was a top prospect for a reason.

not that i would even think it would happen, but i would much rather have CAR give up a 3rd round pick for DCarr, than trade up (like some rumors speculate) and waste a 1st on Brady Quinn... i think he'd fit into the "conservative" system here in Charlotte pretty good; quick screens to SSmith when the CB plays off, slants to Key over the middle for possession downs, dump-passes to DWil out of the backfield, and then just occassional deep strikes - which Carr has shown he does have the arm to do in TEX.

Key word there is WAS a top prospect. He's had a horrible team around him and that has hampered his development and has led him to develop some very bad habits as a QB. I personally don't think he can rebound from everything that has happened.

I would love to see the Panthers drop a 3rd or 4th rounder for Carr instead of moving up for Quinn.

Guest JahRasta311

Good thing the Texans didn't take Bush or Vince Young because of D.Davis and Carr. :cheers:

It looks like both Texas teams are clueless right now. :pointstosky:

i wouldnt say dallas is clueless, they made the playoffs. can't really lump them in with the texans. besides TO, the cowboys do carry some prestige. houston has none.

Anyone still listening to F. Scoot - check his quote in my sig.

:ninja:

Yep - a quote of me bashing myself for fun and amusement.

I prefer to look on the bright side - unlike you, people do listen to me from time to time.

Wake me up if/when you ever contribute a relevant opinion to this forum.

hth

:mad:

Clearly, Carr is nothing special. They'd be lucky to get a half-empty can of Mountain Dew for him. :dunno:

I prefer to view that can as half full.

i really think both parties would benefit from a trade. I'd like to see carr get a fresh start on a team with a decent OL. The texans are apparently fairly high on Rosenfels and they can bring in maybe Plummer to compete with him. I'd say he's worth a conditional 4th, but not sure who'd be interested.

Good thing the Texans didn't take Bush or Vince Young because of D.Davis and Carr. :banana:

It looks like both Texas teams are clueless right now. :doublethumbsup:

Their worst mistake last year was not passing on Bush or Young, it was paying the mutli-million dollar roster bonus for Carr. Off the top of my head, I think it was $8 mil. He has not shown the ability to perform at an elite level on this team, whether it is his fault or the O-Line's.

How can a team throw so much money at a failed experiment?

The Big Deal Today, 05:40 PM Post #16

i really think both parties would benefit from a trade. I'd like to see carr get a fresh start on a team with a decent OL. The texans are apparently fairly high on Rosenfels and they can bring in maybe Plummer to compete with him. I'd say he's worth a conditional 4th, but not sure who'd be interested.

Greenbay could bring him, if Favre retires or

if Rodgers doesn't pan out.

Tampa may need another experienced Qb

KC, when Green retires :doublethumbsup:

just some guesses

Yep - a quote of me bashing myself for fun and amusement.

I prefer to look on the bright side - unlike you, people do listen to me from time to time.

Wake me up if/when you ever contribute a relevant opinion to this forum.

hth

:(

Actually, that quote was when you finally realized that I had proven my point that Frank Gore was the real deal and that Kevin Barlow was a bum - this was prior to Kevin Barlow being traded from the 49ers and after numerous name-callings by you to me and others simply because we disagreed with you. You got so owned in that thread and subsequent threads about Gore/Barlow so don't even bring it up again - I won't waste my time with you after this post.

Your 2nd sentence sounds like a typical woman (making b.s. up).

David Carr will not be a successful quarterback now or in the near future. He could potentially have one or two decent seasons down the road if he keeps working at it.

HTH

The reason Houston passed up on VY is becasuse Bob McNair has man luv for Carr. Carr presents the chior boy image that he wants for his team.

Why would a team waste a 3rd or 4th on Carr when they can wait for the Texans to drop him, pick him up as a FA, and not take over his salary?

Why would a team waste a 3rd or 4th on Carr when they can wait for the Texans to drop him, pick him up as a FA, and not take over his salary?

same reason MIA wasted a 5th rd pick on Harrington - you're afraid he'll go somewhere else if he's a FA.

MIA had Joey restructure his contract so his base salary was only 800K this year. It just so happens he had all sorts of incentive clauses in there for playing time which made him get paid more. The next two years of his contract are $1.75 and $5 mil. $1.75 is a little high for a backup, where $5 mil is cut-or-start time.

If any team can get Carr to agree to restructure like that (if they intend to use him for a backup), it's not that bad of a deal. Heck, Chris Weinke is slated for a base salary of $1.1 mil this year w/ a pretty good sized roster bonus. I'd rather pay Carr that same money than Weinke...

I watched enuff Texan games over the last few years because of owning Dom Davis in a bunch of leagues. Carr had shown sparks of a good qb now and then but Scooter is right he spent to much time running for his life and on his back his career. I think he is talent enuff to be good if they ever get him a ol and think its stupid if they draft a rookie for there starter. It will take years for the rookie to devlop and the Texans will continue to suck. Bottom line get the focking guy a ol.

Everyone laughs at the Texans for not taking Bush or Young. How come no one ever mentions anything about DeBrickashaw Ferguson? He would have been a good pick for the Texans.

yes, i remember many saying the exact--the EXACT--same thing about harrington. and i remember phin fans jumping for joy when they "stole" joey from his jail cell in detroit.

how'd that turn out by the way? curious. :doublethumbsup:

Um.... did you see the Dolphins offensive line this year??? :(

Not trying to stick up for Joey Ballgame, but seriously...

Carr sounds like a steak for a 3rd round pick.

Personally I'd rather have the 3rd round pick than the steak.

I'd love for the Pack to pick him up for a 4th. I don't think anyone has confidence in Aaron Rodgers being able to take over this team. Carr has experience and has shown allot of toughness with all of the hits he's taken. When he came out of college, he was a can't miss prospect. Give him one year to sit behind Brett and I think he could really blossom into a good QB. And it save the Pack wasting a high pick on another QB. If nothing else, it will give Rodgers some real competition to be the starter. I think back-up QB is a definite need for GB and this is a cheap way to get a young backup with allot of experience. Better than wasting a first-rounder on someone that turns out to be another bust.

I'd love for the Pack to pick him up for a 4th. I don't think anyone has confidence in Aaron Rodgers being able to take over this team. Carr has experience and has shown allot of toughness with all of the hits he's taken. When he came out of college, he was a can't miss prospect. Give him one year to sit behind Brett and I think he could really blossom into a good QB. And it save the Pack wasting a high pick on another QB. If nothing else, it will give Rodgers some real competition to be the starter. I think back-up QB is a definite need for GB and this is a cheap way to get a young backup with allot of experience. Better than wasting a first-rounder on someone that turns out to be another bust.

I would love to see him in Green Bay. A 3rd or 4th pick would be a steal in my opinion.

I REALLY hope we can find a sucker to give us a 3rd round pick for him.

Maybe Texans fans are as smart as the team's management. Did you ever think that it could be the team and not Carr?

You don't have the greatest track record you know. (Totally blew it in the draft last year :rolleyes: )

Everyone laughs at the Texans for not taking Bush or Young. How come no one ever mentions anything about DeBrickashaw Ferguson? He would have been a good pick for the Texans.

They should have traded the #1 to the Jets (who needed a RB and coveted Bush) for the Jets #1 and a later pick (2nd or 3rd) and then drafted Ferguson. Jets could have taken Bush and solved their RB problem.....Seemed like a perfect fit at the time and I couldn't understand why it didn't happen.....

i dont see anyone forking up what it takes to get the guy, and I dont see the Texans accepting what he is truly worth. :thumbsdown:

I can see Carr in a Raiders uniform. :huh: Then Oakland can use the first pick to draft Joe Thomas and build up on that line.

I sure hope the Raiders are not smart enough to figure this out. It would be a great move for them.

I wouldnt call him a stud, but he is a capable starter.

only problem is.... after playing on a crappy team for soooo long, it is possible that he could have been ruined.

The situation they put the guy in year in and year out can be bad for a players development.

he may be able to bounce back... but a year on the bench without linebackers in his face may be the best medicine the guy can have.

Either way... If I needed a QB, I would pay a 3rd for him if he is available at that price.

how'd that turn out by the way? curious. :banana:

that's not a guarantee it'd be the same with carr...but buyer beware. if it's really a backup qb you want, one can be had much cheaper than a 3rd round pick.

I think Joey played pretty well in Miami. Was clearly better than C-Pep, another year learning the offense can only help.