Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

If you could choose a period in time to visit

didja ever notice the poll thing is pretty redundant?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Name a place & time you'd like to visit

• Dinosaur times
    • The time of the Knights
    • Geebus' times
    • Wild West
    • Future
    • other
    • insert year______ buy stock of________
    • Pre-Settler America
    • Rennasaince (sp)
    • Roman Empire

I guess there's always the standard "I'd go to 1980 and buy 1000 shares of apple stock" (or whatever), but I'm really talking more like a place and era that you've never seen before. Soemthing that you'd like to experience. The choices are almost limitless, so don't feel constrained by the poll- just suggestions.

For me, I think the most fantastic (in the true sense of the word) time the earth has seen is the time when the Dinosaurs roamed the earth. I don't think the best special effects could possibly convey how amazing a sight that would be. Yeah, there's the inherent danger of getting wedged between the molars of a T-Rex, but assuming safety, that's where I'd like to visit.

I'd go back to when GFIAFP's mother was pregnant with him and I throw her down the stairs at the Empire State building

Wow, too many to choose from!

I would have to go with the Rennaissance, Mideval (time of the Knights), Roman Empire, and Old West.

Can we ever return to our own time? Would the knowledge we've acquired travel with us? I chose the Old West to see if it's really like movies and folklore depict it and I'd know where to find precious metals.

I would go back to the pre-settlement days of america and tell those stupid focks to not import slaves :unsure: :unsure:

Can we ever return to our own time? Would the knowledge we've acquired travel with us? I chose the Old West to see if it's really like movies and folklore depict it and I'd know where to find precious metals.

Yep. It's just a "visit".

From what I've read, the vision of the west that we have is pretty far removed from reality. The gunfights were pretty cowardly. None of this stand 40 feet away and draw at the same time kinda crap. If I remember right, a lot of the famous gunfighters/gunfights involve folks who were shot in the back.

Mostly, it was just smelly, dirty, muddy, cold and primitive back then. - But would still be interesting to see.

Yep. It's just a "visit".

From what I've read, the vision of the west that we have is pretty far removed from reality. The gunfights were pretty cowardly. None of this stand 40 feet away and draw at the same time kinda crap. If I remember right, a lot of the famous gunfighters/gunfights involve folks who were shot in the back.

Mostly, it was just smelly, dirty, muddy, cold and primitive back then. - But would still be interesting to see.

"Jesse James was a cold blooded killer..."

I'm yer huckleberry :dunno:

that pretty much the time I'd go back in... I'm helping my brother wash his car, so I'll elaborate later.

lucky fock has a car that I paid half for 

As far as an era, I'd like the Roman times, assuming of course I was not a slave.

For a point in time, definitely to the grassy knoll to see if there really was another shooter.

For a point in time, definitely to the grassy knoll to see if there really was another shooter.

Good One! :dunno:

I think I would probably choose the future. Mainly because I think most past epochs have been overly romanticized. The Middle Ages were not the time of King Arthur roving about in shining armor, but rather the time of miserable, illiterate peasants, living in squallor. And as Wiff pointed out above, I doubt the old West held much of the glamor attached to it today.

Regardless, for me, the future holds more interest. Not only from a technological standpoint, but from a socio-cultural standpoint as well. What will we as humans be like in say 100 years? 500 years? 1000 years? Will we be biologically pretty much the same or will we have succumb to the temptation to tamper with our genes to alter ourselves dramatically. What kind of political, social, etc. paradigms emerge? Will humanity ever bridge the gap of space to colonize other planets (Mars). What will our planet look like? Will it continue to be the bountifully diverse place it is now, or will our efforts changed it in some dramatic fashion (and no I'm not just talking about global warming)? Will I be awed/disgusted/baffled/etc. by what we become? All these questions and more are extremely intreresting to me. Sadly, except for an ocassional foray into the future via Sci Fi novel or movie, I'm stuck discovering what the future holds one day at a time like everybody else...

I would go back to the battle of Chancellorsville and tell Stonewall Jackson to not probe for a night attack and therefore he won't get shot by friendly fire in the darkness. This will hopefully win the battle of Gettysburg in July since the tentative Ewell will not be a Corps commander in Lee's army. It will be Stonewall and he will be able to capture Culp's hill and allow Pickett's charge to be successful.

I would also tell General Albert Sydney Johnston of the CSA to attack Grant a few days earlier at Shiloh. I would also tell him to drive the Union Army into Owl Creek, away from the Tennessee river and their protection from Union gunboats at Shiloh. I would alwso tell him to make sure his subordinates are on board with his original attack plan: to attack in waves and not a full frontal assualt. Also, to not expend energy capturing the "hornet's nest", but rather continue their flanking assualts and drive the Union army away from the Tennessee river. Thus ending Grant's invasion.

These actions should considerable help the Confederate cause.

I'm yer huckleberry :thumbsup:

that pretty much the time I'd go back in... I'm helping my brother wash his car, so I'll elaborate later.

lucky fock has a car that I paid half for 

ALRIGHT LUNGER

First, we would have to be able to have the ability to snap our fingers and be back. If not, some people that went to visit the "dinaosaur age" might not make it back.

My visit would be quick and simple. I would visit a bookstore in the year 2050 and go in and buy a sports almanac. Then come back and hang out with Marty McFly and count my millions as they rolled in! For chits and giggles I would prolly find out winning lottery numbers and stick that in my pocket for future endevors as well.

If I had to travel back in time it's simple. I would travel to the hour before I met my ex-wife and drink myself into a coma. I'd wake up with a short hangover instead of the six year hangover I've had so far! :thumbsup:

The future so I could attend Star Fleet Academy. Go see a doctor they could run his/her tricorder thing a a majig and heal my sick body.

I was gonna choose the "stock investment" one but I also really want to know what the future will look like. So I chose the future, where I would be able to see the future AND gather as much info on the latest truly unique billion dollar concept or invention and bring it back with me SKYNET style. Kill two birds. How far into the future can we go? And will a flux capacitor be involved?