Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Federer > Woods

seems you still have issues with literacy

yes, this was my weak point in school. That's why I'm a tennis pro and not sending vehicles into space :wave:

you make a great point. I have no answer.

Nadal leads their overall head-to-head series 13–7.[9] Because tournament seedings are based on rankings, 16 of their matches have been in tournament finals, including an all-time record 7 Grand Slam finals.[10] From 2006 to 2008 they played in every French Open and Wimbledon final, and then they met in the 2009 Australian Open final. Nadal won five of the seven,

At least Federer has had a rival. Where is Tiger's competition? Not one focking pga player can step up to the plate to rival Woods

Because he is that much better than everyone else out there. It is golf and tennis, 2 different sports. You can win everything in tennis because that is how it is set up. You can't dominate the sport of golf, it is just impossible. Tiger is further away from the #2 player in the world than Fed is to Nadal. There for using simple logic, Tiger is more dominate over the rest of the field. Its not that hard to think out.

Because he is that much better than everyone else out there. It is golf and tennis, 2 different sports. You can win everything in tennis because that is how it is set up. You can't dominate the sport of golf, it is just impossible. Tiger is further way from the #2 player in the world than Fed is to Nadal. There for using simple logic, Tiger is more dominate over the rest of the field. Its not that hard to think out.

or the rest of the pga field is weak? Is Tiger the only capable guy of driving 340 yards, making nice iron shots, and nailing important puts? I guess so.

or the rest of the pga field is weak? Is Tiger the only capable guy of driving 340 yards, making nice iron shots, and nailing important puts? I guess so.

Doubt that is the answer. If every era up until Tiger had great players in it, how did it just magically stop happening when Tiger came in?

How many people played golf in the 60s and 70s? Now compare it to how many people play golf today. The sport has grown considerably, it is logically to think that even more players are good now. Jack was great, he had rivals. Hogan was great he had rivals. Tiger is the best, he has no rivals. Unless there is some fact anyone wants to bring up other than there isn't a guy or 2 who has 7 or 8 majors right now to as why the field is no good I'm all ears. But I will use the simple logic that like with all sports talent gets better over the years, and for a sport like golf that has had such a boost in people playing over the years that is even more the case.

You guys can fling crap back and forth and never really think logically about it, but thats what I think. Dominant should mean how much better you are than the rest or next best, and Tiger is further from the rest of the pack, there for more dominant.

Doubt that is the answer. If every era up until Tiger had great players in it, how did it just magically stop happening when Tiger came in?

How many people played golf in the 60s and 70s? Now compare it to how many people play golf today. The sport has grown considerably, it is logically to think that even more players are good now. Jack was great, he had rivals. Hogan was great he had rivals. Tiger is the best, he has no rivals. Unless there is some fact anyone wants to bring up other than there isn't a guy or 2 who has 7 or 8 majors right now to as why the field is no good I'm all ears. But I will use the simple logic that like with all sports talent gets better over the years, and for a sport like golf that has had such a boost in people playing over the years that is even more the case.

You guys can fling crap back and forth and never really think logically about it, but thats what I think. Dominant should mean how much better you are than the rest or next best, and Tiger is further from the rest of the pack, there for more dominant.

I'll buy this

How many golf schools and young kids playing the game were there when Jack played? Now they have the Nationwide Tour, Nike, HOOTERS! tours, you name it. Giving even more reason for more players to improve their game.

How many golf schools and young kids playing the game were there when Jack played? Now they have the Nationwide Tour, Nike, HOOTERS! tours, you name it. Giving even more reason for more players to improve their game.

Tennis participation reached 27 million players in 2008.© USTA

According to data just released by the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association (SGMA), tennis is the fastest growing sport in America among individual traditional sports with an increase in participation of 43 percent from 2000 to 2008. According to the SGMA, tennis was one of only six sports to experience participation growth exceeding 40 percent from 2000 through 2008. Tennis is well ahead of other traditional sports like baseball, ice hockey, gymnastics and football, all of which suffered a decline in participation during the past eight years. In the last year alone (through December 31, 2008), tennis experienced a 9.6 percent growth in participation. [/i]

I did know this since I have to present facts to the city council every year

not too sure where golf fits in?

Tennis participation reached 27 million players in 2008.© USTA

According to data just released by the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association (SGMA), tennis is the fastest growing sport in America among individual traditional sports with an increase in participation of 43 percent from 2000 to 2008. According to the SGMA, tennis was one of only six sports to experience participation growth exceeding 40 percent from 2000 through 2008. Tennis is well ahead of other traditional sports like baseball, ice hockey, gymnastics and football, all of which suffered a decline in participation during the past eight years. In the last year alone (through December 31, 2008), tennis experienced a 9.6 percent growth in participation. [/i]

I did know this since I have to present facts to the city council every year

not too sure where golf fits in?

Surprising.

Not sure about 2000-present. But from like the 60s till now he has to be up there. Golf wasn't a "cool" sport to anyone under 30 just up until 2000 or so. I have seen it in my local club. When I was pretty young it was mostly old men. Now there are young kids playing and a vast amount of members are real young.

Surprising.

Not sure about 2000-present. But from like the 60s till now he has to be up there. Golf wasn't a "cool" sport to anyone under 30 just up until 2000 or so. I have seen it in my local club. When I was pretty young it was mostly old men. Now there are young kids playing and a vast amount of members are real young.

I route for any sport that gets the young kids out on the playing fields. Much better than wasting away their childhood on PC games, Wii's, Xboxs, and Playstations.

I don't care what Tiger does in his own life. I've been married 13 years with 3 kids. I am greater than Tiger in marriage and being a faithful father. But that's not the point

In no way have I ever compared Tiger to Jack. I wouldn't even know where to begin. Jack was before my time, and used wooden clubs with much greater competition - there is no comparison. I also admitted that I didn't do the research on Tiger's 2nd place finishes in grand slams.

This is all I can go by in results....and as of January 2010, has reached the semi-finals or better of the last 23 Grand Slam tournaments, a record streak that spans over six years.[8] Federer also holds the record of reaching 10 consecutive Grand Slam finals and has appeared in 18 of the last 19.

Find those stats for Woods

Read post #985 and tell me that you are not bringing Jack into this. There is no reference at all to Federer in that entire post. Just Tiger and Nicklaus.

You have a bias. No harm in that, so long as you don't deny it.

Roger Federer is playing in the Quarter Finals of the French Open right now, against the guy that knocked out Rafael Nadal last year.

He is trying to make the semi finals for a 24th straight major tournament ;)

Tiger didn't even make the last cut of some scrub tournament?

Regardless of today's result Federer > Woods

He is trying to make the semi finals for a 24th straight major tournament ;)

Does anyone know what the second longest streak is? This is way more impressive than his majors record. It means that he doesn't have a single 'weak' surface. REmarkable.

I'll be shocked if he wins this one, though. Nadal is the best-ever on clay.

Does anyone know what the second longest streak is? This is way more impressive than his majors record. It means that he doesn't have a single 'weak' surface. REmarkable.

I too will be shocked if he wins the french this year, he may not even make the semis

He's in for one hell of a match right now against Soderling, tied 1 set a piece, 5 - 5 in the 3rd, weather delayed right now.

Federer has appeared in an unprecedented 22 career Grand Slam finals, and as of January 2010, has reached the semi-finals or better of the last 23 Grand Slam tournaments, a record streak that spans over five and a half years.[8] Federer also holds the record of reaching 10 consecutive Grand Slam finals and has appeared in 18 of the last 19.

I think I heard the record was 11 or 12 before Federer beat it

Federer has appeared in an unprecedented 22 career Grand Slam finals, and as of January 2010, has reached the semi-finals or better of the last 23 Grand Slam tournaments, a record streak that spans over five and a half years.[8] Federer also holds the record of reaching 10 consecutive Grand Slam finals and has appeared in 18 of the last 19.

I think I heard the record was 11 or 12 before Federer beat it

Can't imagine that record being touched for a long, long time. It's not very often that a player is strong on every surface.

I don't even agree Fed is the best ever tennis player but by far he is and had had a better carreer than woods

I don't even agree Fed is the best ever tennis player but by far he is and had had a better carreer than woods

It's almost inarguable at this point. Not sure how anyone else could even be considered.

Can't imagine that record being touched for a long, long time. It's not very often that a player is strong on every surface.

Agassi is the only other male in the last 30 years to win all 4 majors.

None of the greats could do it.

Connors, McEnroe, Lendl, Sampras etc.

That is how amazing Federer is.

Agassi is the only other male in the last 30 years to win all 4 majors.

None of the greats could do it.

Connors, McEnroe, Lendl, Sampras etc.

That is how amazing Federer is.

Exactly. Which makes it all the more laughable when someone argues that Federer isn't the best ever because he has trouble with Nadal on clay.

Exactly. Which makes it all the more laughable when someone argues that Federer isn't the best ever because he has trouble with Nadal on clay.

it's not an argument as much as a clueless statement.

Federer just went down 2 sets to 1 against Soderling

Federer with the early break in the 4th.

Federer down 0 - 40 in the next game :argue:

Soderling breaks right back.

play suspended again. :sleep:

3 to 3 in the 4th, federer down 2 to 1 in sets

Soderling is serving for the match in the 4th set.

He is dominating Federer, much like he did to Rafa last year.

Looks like the best streak in sports is going to come to an end.

Federer lost.

The streak is over.

Federer lost.

The streak is over.

Good. I'd rather see Soderling beat him than Nadal. Too many unintelligent people around here.

Good. I'd rather see Soderling beat him than Nadal. Too many unintelligent people around here.

very apropos that the man that knocked out Rafa last year, knocked out Federer this year.

Federer beat Soderling in the french finals last year.

Soderling/Nadal final would be nice.

it was a good run

focking red clay

Not just the clay, but the cold, wet, slow conditions were brutal for Federer.

Next up.

Wimbledon :headbanger:

It's almost inarguable at this point. Not sure how anyone else could even be considered.

JMO - Fed plays in an era where he only had 1 true rival and that rival ( Nadal ) had pretty much gotten the better of him. Hell Sampras at his age won 1 of the 3 exibitions.

on Grass and hardcourt the best ever IMO is Sampras

at the peak of their primes - McCenroe , Pete , Borg , Lavender , Connnors -- were all at the same level as Fed just has stiffer comp.

Put Sampras in a match in his prime against Fed on Grass of hard court at least 7 of 10 Sampras would win -- same with Mac in his prime , and Borg -- JMO.

JMO - Fed plays in an era where he only had 1 true rival and that rival ( Nadal ) had pretty much gotten the better of him. Hell Sampras at his age won 1 of the 3 exibitions.

on Grass and hardcourt the best ever IMO is Sampras

at the peak of their primes - McCenroe , Pete , Borg , Lavender , Connnors -- were all at the same level as Fed just has stiffer comp.

Put Sampras in a match in his prime against Fed on Grass of hard court at least 7 of 10 Sampras would win -- same with Mac in his prime , and Borg -- JMO.

Well, the argument can be made that it looks like Federer has no rivals because he's the best player ever. Mybe the current 2,3,& 4 players would be considered in Conners, Lendl, Bjorg territory if the majors weren't all getting won by Federer.

apparently federer forgot how to play tennis because soderling >>>>>>>>>> federer today

:shocking: 2 in a row :wall:

sod >>>>>>>>>>> fed

Well, the argument can be made that it looks like Federer has no rivals because he's the best player ever. Mybe the current 2,3,& 4 players would be considered in Conners, Lendl, Bjorg territory if the majors weren't all getting won by Federer.

You could make that arguement, if the #2,3,&4 guys consistently played in the semis and finals against Federer, but that has hardly been the case.

When are you guys going to quit comparing generations and the 2nd - 50th ranked guys? These super champs are that for a reason - - heads above the competition at that era.

Pete Sampras - 7 Wimbledon Championships

defeated

Jim Courier 1993

Goran Ivanisevic 1994

Boris Becker 1995

Cedric Pioline 1997

Goran again in 1998

Andre Aggasi in 1999

Patrick Rafter in 2000

I wouldn't call Sampras' opponents any tougher than Federer's opponents. If anything, I would say the competition is tougher now than 20 years ago. Federer and Nadal are just that much Better. Players peak for only a few years in this sport. Guys like Sampras and Federer don't come around very often.

Federer>Sampras in Jocstrap's record book. His French Open results, and his Wimbledon streak gives him that award.

fix

pfftttt

Don't go changing my thoughts

this is the only subject on this entire bored I actually have knowledge in

Jocstrap's decision 1995...

top 10 in the world in doubles or getting married to...

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/5563/jocandashley.jpg

Mississippi State's Laurent Miquelard and Joc Simmons won all the marbles at the NCAA men's doubles tennis tournament held in South Bend, Ind.,

I did beat 2 guys that went on to be #1 in doubles - - Wayne Black and Mahesh Bhuphati. Plus several others that hit top 20.

I will never doubt my decision

pfftttt

Don't go changing my thoughts

this is the only subject on this entire bored I actually have knowledge in

Jocstrap's decision 1995...

top 10 in the world in doubles or getting married to...

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/5563/jocandashley.jpg

Mississippi State's Laurent Miquelard and Joc Simmons won all the marbles at the NCAA men's doubles tennis tournament held in South Bend, Ind.,

I did beat 2 guys that went on to be #1 in doubles - - Wayne Black and Mahesh Bhuphati. Plus several others that hit top 20.

I will never doubt my decision

your name is Laurent?? :unsure:

Federer lost in the finals last week and he won this weeks tournament.

What has Woods done lately? :lol:

Federer > Woods

I'm afraid Federer's run is about over. I hope he can make a couple more deep runs in the majors, beginning with the US Open in a few days. I think he'll be a contender on the hard courts and grass for the next couple of years, but no way on that red dirt.

16 Titles for Federer

14 Titles for Woods

:)