Sign in to follow this  
LittleGiants78

Clements is a 9er

8 years, 80 million dollars, 22 in guarenteed money :banana:

oh shut up. :banana:

CB Nate Clements talking to the 49ers

Sirius Radio is reporting this and we checked it out with several reliable NFL sources, and, yes, it appears cornerback Nate Clements is negotiating with the 49ers right now.

A 49ers spokesperson would not confirm the talks.

Clements is considered one of the top free agent prizes and his addition would be a huge upgrade to the 49ers secondary.

Earlier this morning, the Titans pulled out of the Clements' sweepstakes. Scout.com is reporting that the Browns also are making a strong run at Clements, who has 20 interceptions in five NFL seasons with the Bills. He has returned four INTs and two punts for touchdowns.

That is the latest news. butt pirates.

8 years, 80 million dollars, 22 in guarenteed money :shocking:

I saw that too. Nate's great, but there's no way the Bills could afford that what with the problems on the O-line and D-line.

Also, this means the Bills are taking a CB in the first two rounds. The other free agent CBs (whoever they are) must be ecstatic!

8 years, 80 million dollars, 22 in guarenteed money :shocking:

those are the numbers all the sites i've seen are reporting.

wow...

those are the numbers all the sites i've seen are reporting.

wow...

all what sites? Links?

ESPN, CBS, CNN and NFL.com all say they are close to working out a deal. None have said a deal is inked, and none mention numbers.

I expect it to be a huge contract, but please - let's not jump to conclusions.

If it's true, it's a lot of money but I disagree it's "way too much" considering his talent, age and the needs of the team compared to what is available. Clements is a legitamate shut down DB, with good hands, speed and athleticism. It's a signing I've wanted since I learned he'd be a FA. And again, IF this is true, I'd be interested to see the contract details - incentives, guarenteed $, structure, etc.

oh shut up. :shocking:

That is the latest news. butt pirates.

De Nile ain't just a river in Egypt.

De Nile ain't just a river in Egypt.

:shocking:

I'm actually thrilled he's a Niner.

I just want to know the details, and see a single link that confirms 8 years 80 million plus a 22 mil signing bonus. Or is that including bonus? Since I haven't seen a credible link, I can't really comment beyond what I've already said.

But make no mistake - this was an essential signing for the Niners. HUGE impact player for a team that's needed secondary help for years. The rebuilding just took a giant leap forward. :lol:

all what sites? Links?

ESPN, CBS, CNN and NFL.com all say they are close to working out a deal. None have said a deal is inked, and none mention numbers.

I expect it to be a huge contract, but please - let's not jump to conclusions.

If it's true, it's a lot of money but I disagree it's "way too much" considering his talent, age and the needs of the team compared to what is available. Clements is a legitamate shut down DB, with good hands, speed and athleticism. It's a signing I've wanted since I learned he'd be a FA. And again, IF this is true, I'd be interested to see the contract details - incentives, guarenteed $, structure, etc.

"CLEMENTS BLOWS OUT THE CURVE

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the San Francisco 49ers have signed cornerback Nate Clements.

It's a mind-boggling eight-year, $80 million deal, with $22 million in guaranteed money, and it makes Clements the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.

A league source tells us that, as a practical matter, it's a six-year deal worth $7.25 million per year.

Clements was expected to be pursued by several teams. But he never got out of San Fran."

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

key words in that story: "the highest paid defensive player in nfl history" :shocking:

"CLEMENTS BLOWS OUT THE CURVE

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the San Francisco 49ers have signed cornerback Nate Clements.

It's a mind-boggling eight-year, $80 million deal, with $22 million in guaranteed money, and it makes Clements the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.

A league source tells us that, as a practical matter, it's a six-year deal worth $7.25 million per year.

Clements was expected to be pursued by several teams. But he never got out of San Fran."

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

key words in that story: "the highest paid defensive player in nfl history" :lol:

Actually, for me the key words are "A league source tells us that, as a practical matter, it's a six-year deal worth $7.25 million per year."

22 mil signing bonus and 7.25/year I can live with. That's a good signing IMO. Best DB on the market and one of the best young DBs in the league. Niner fans should be :shocking: over this.

And for the record, I still don't see anything confirming this is a done deal.

22 mil gauranteed? :first: For Clements?

I mean, I know he was the best on the market for DB's, but is he even in the top 10 CB's in the league?

I'm finding it hard to believe any team would give that deal to Clements.

22 mil gauranteed? :first: For Clements?

I mean, I know he was the best on the market for DB's, but is he even in the top 10 CB's in the league?

each march 2 the market gets driven upward. this is just the latest. the money steinbach and dockery (or whatever the fock his name is) got is also ridiculous.

but in two years, these prices will seem like bargains. that's the way it works.

if you sign a player on march 2, you will way overpay to do so. simple as that.

each march 2 the market gets driven upward. this is just the latest. the money steinbach and dockery (or whatever the fock his name is) got is also ridiculous.

but in two years, these prices will seem like bargains. that's the way it works.

:first:

The cap has nearly tripled in the past 10 years, increased by 23 million the past 2 years, and it continues to rise. Like I said last year when Hutchinson was signed for what Dockery and Steinbach got, we'd see more of these huge contracts due to the big jump. What was an outlandish contract 2-3 years ago is market value now.

Here's a list of the last several SB winners

Indy, Pitt, NE x3, TB, and Balt.

None have been big FA teams. They have been big drafting of young talent and good coaching. Maybe I'm wrong, but off the top of my head, I can't think of 1 major FA signing these teams did to get them where they got. A few trades, several mid range $ FA's. But I can't think of one 22 mil gauranteed Clements type deal.

Someone refresh my memory if they could. I think this signing has me in a little shock. :shocking:

:Mr-T:

The cap has nearly tripled in the past 10 years, increased by 23 million the past 2 years, and it continues to rise. Like I said last year when Hutchinson was signed for what Dockery and Steinbach got, we'd see more of these huge contracts due to the big jump. What was an outlandish contract 2-3 years ago is market value now.

But explain how giving a player that much money and counting that much against the cap is worth it if it doesn't get you any closer to the SB. Dockery and Steinbach are average talent. Not even in Hutchinsons range of talent. These teams best hope they get some serious return on investment. Otherwise these signings can handcuff their futures.

Couldn't disagree more...the Niners will probably be regretting this deal (if the reported numbers are correct) 3 years in. There are plenty of people, including KC Joyner with ESPN.com, that would tell you the reason Clements is on the market is b/c he's 1) overpriced and 2) the 2nd best CB in BUF. Certainly, he'll automatically become the best CB the Niners have had in years, but thoughts of Clements being a shutdown CB are probably weak at best. It is true he is the best in a bad market, but no CB (short of Champ playing both ways) is worth $10 M/year. Heck, I can't even argue that any player is worth that much. (That's a whole other argument.) But 6 times a year, Clements will be asked to "shut down" Holt, D-Jack, and Fitz/Boldin. Good luck with that. I'll put the 8 yr/$80 M offer into the A-Rod category in terms of terribly overpaid athlete contracts.

Couldn't disagree more...the Niners will probably be regretting this deal (if the reported numbers are correct) 3 years in. There are plenty of people, including KC Joyner with ESPN.com, that would tell you the reason Clements is on the market is b/c he's 1) overpriced and 2) the 2nd best CB in BUF. Certainly, he'll automatically become the best CB the Niners have had in years, but thoughts of Clements being a shutdown CB are probably weak at best. It is true he is the best in a bad market, but no CB (short of Champ playing both ways) is worth $10 M/year. Heck, I can't even argue that any player is worth that much. (That's a whole other argument.) But 6 times a year, Clements will be asked to "shut down" Holt, D-Jack, and Fitz/Boldin. Good luck with that. I'll put the 8 yr/$80 M offer into the A-Rod category in terms of terribly overpaid athlete contracts.

the lions have been a team that has thrown money around in free agency with the best of the them the past few years, and you're right: it just doesn't seem to add up to be smart business.

the only big-time free agent i remember really putting a team over the top was reggie white when he was signed by the packers. other than that... :Mr-T:

i think it's candy for the fans to make a big splash like that, but does it really impact and sustain a team in a positive way? the numbers would strongly suggest no.

22 mil gauranteed? :D For Clements?

Top 10 CBs in no particular order...

- Deangelo Hall

- Nate Clement

- Asante Samuel

- Champ Bailey

- Dre Bly

- Chris McAlister

- Shaun Springs

- Nate Vasher

- Terrence Newman

- Pat Surtain

??? probably missing a few names, i'm horrible with the defense side. BUt I definitely think Clement belongs on this list.

GOod signing by the Niners, after the Barry Zito deal, I have already come to the realization that you have to overpay to get people to the bay area. Hope we give A.Thomas and/or Leonard Davis the same deal as well.

Oh, we also signed Michael Lewis, former Eagle SS.

This ought to put a huge monkey wrench in the long term contract negotiations for the patriots with Asante Samuel. I think initially, he was looking for 12 million for a signing bonus. He will want a lot more now.

- Deangelo Hall

- Nate Clement

- Asante Samuel

- Champ Bailey

- Dre Bly

- Chris McAlister

- Shaun Springs

- Nate Vasher

- Terrence Newman

- Pat Surtain

??? probably missing a few names, i'm horrible with the defense side. BUt I definitely think Clement belongs on this list.

GOod signing by the Niners, after the Barry Zito deal, I have already come to the realization that you have to overpay to get people to the bay area. Hope we give A.Thomas and/or Leonard Davis the same deal as well.

Rhonde Barber

Lito Sheppard

Ty Law

Al Harris

Rasheed Mathis

Dunta Robinson

Chris Gamble

Antoine Winifield

Deltha O'Neil

Charles Woodson

Marcus Trufant

Mike McKenzie

Samarri Rolle

Point being the list you gave and the list I dug up. Clements contract is pretty bloated. I agree with Guru. The amount of this contract will be with regret in 3 years.

It's a back loaded contract. Clements will never, I repeat NEVER see the full 80 Million. It will be restructered when the time comes. The big numbers are for the agent, not the player. "I negotiated for the highest paid defensive player in NFL history."

Scooter has it right, you should all be looking at this: It's a six-year deal worth $7.25 million per year. He's set to make $37 Million over his last two years of the contract. It'll never happen. What's the average salary for the top 5 CBs in the league again? Oh, that's right. 7.79 Million.

We got a bargain.

It's a back loaded contract. Clements will never, I repeat NEVER see the full 80 Million. It will be restructered when the time comes. The big numbers are for the agent, not the player. "I negotiated for the highest paid defensive player in NFL history."

Scooter has it right, you should all be looking at this: It's a six-year deal worth $7.25 million per year. He's set to make $37 Million over his last two years of the contract. It'll never happen. What's the average salary for the top 5 CBs in the league again? Oh, that's right. 7.79 Million.

We got a bargain.

nice post. i like this guy.

even if we paid this guy a little more, we still got a pro bowl caliber CB, something that we have not had for over 10 years.

sidequestion: did merton hanks ever make the probowl?

nice post. i like this guy.

even if we paid this guy a little more, we still got a pro bowl caliber CB, something that we have not had for over 10 years.

Exactly. The NFC West has some of the best WRs and a shutdown corner is what we need. Clements will be much better for this team than Adalius would have been; though I would have loved him to put Lawson under his wings. :ninja:

Sidequestionanswer: The Hankernator!! (If you're seriously asking, yeah, he made 4 of 'em. :mad: )

I ain't no Niners fan, but I always liked that Merton Hanks. The spastic headbang thing he did when he scored a touchdown was %*$&ing awesome!

And I agree with those saying that this is a good deal for the Niners. You have to keep in mind how much the cap has gone up since the new TV deal. What used to seem outrageous is merely Good Money now.

I wish the Pats had been out ahead of this with Deion Branch and Asante Samuel. They were clinging to old notions, and it cost them the former and perhaps the latter. Good news is that they seem to have learned their lesson pretty quick with A.D.!

Exactly. The NFC West has some of the best WRs and a shutdown corner is what we need.

The thought was good, but the player is not worth the contract. And believe this: If Champ Bailey couldn't hold Fitz, Holt, or D-Jack under 77 yards in their matchups this season, Clements sure as heck isn't going to. Now some will say that's better than allowing them to go for 150 and 2, but the point is that you are paying this guy the way you would pay a league MVP and for $8-10 M/year, you sure as heck want that guy being at least the best at his position, which he is not. And if you couldn't tell by now from my earlier comments, he's not a shutdown CB...he's above average and most talented CB the Niners have had for a while. What this signing does for the Niners is give them legitimacy in the secondary, especially if Walt Harris can continue doing what he did in 2006.

This ought to put a huge monkey wrench in the long term contract negotiations for the patriots with Asante Samuel. I think initially, he was looking for 12 million for a signing bonus. He will want a lot more now.

Agreed, but Clements is a better player.

he's not a shutdown CB...he's above average and most talented CB the Niners have had for a while.

Oh c'mon, they dont put above average players in the pro bowl twice. He's an outstanding player!

he's above average and most talented CB the Niners have had for a while. What this signing does for the Niners is give them legitimacy in the secondary, especially if Walt Harris can continue doing what he did in 2006.

You also have to consider that with Harris, Clements and Michael Lewis the Niners now boast one of the better secondaries in the NFC, arguably. So teams like AZ, SEA and STL won't come out throwing 40+ times a game against them - it negates their air attack some in gameplan alone.

That is the impact a good secondary has. It's not just Clements, but the fact that the Niners have a respectable pass D now. If they add the pass rusher they covet (Thomas, Freeney, etc?) that's all of a sudden a very solid defensive team.

And to the comments about going out and buying players not making a good team, the Niners have some young up and comers in Lawson and Moore. They were winning with great defense down the stretch last year - Lewis+Clements just add the missing pieces to the puzzle.

IMO the Niners make for a good sleeper D in FFB if they get their pass rusher.

Trash the $ all you like - no questioning the results. 7.x mil a year for Clements isn't anything to bash though. The guarenteed $ is what it is. You want him, you pay it. You don't, move over because the Niners will.

:ninja:

Clements is a good, not great player in a bloated market. Anyway you slice it, 8 yrs @ 80 mill is an albatross deal for them. The best plan would have been to Front load it due to their high cap room this year. If it is backloaded as some suggest, the signing bonus alone will make it difficult to let him go.

The bonus alone is 2.75 mill / yr.

If the deal is backloaded and they dump him after year 4, they still take an 11 mill hit in 2011 to get out of it.

No kind of math makes this a good deal

We got a bargain.

no team that signs a free agent this weekend gets a bargain. free tip. now that we have that cleared up, go back to arguing whether or not clements is WORTH the contract--a completely separate and (the only thing) arguable at the moment.

this is a big signing. clements wanted the big$$ last yr, saying he wanted the type of $$ bailey and law were commanding. he got it.

clements is definitely a top cover corner. he is strong, quick, fast, and physical. he has a knack for big plays (0.526/G) and has shutdown big time guys like marvin, ward, johnson, chambers, and djackson.

as far as big plays [i define these as sacks, FF, FR, INTs, and TDs], he ranks 3rd among current top cover corners. my listing of big plays, games played, and big plays/G shows:

bly--67, 119, 0.563

barber--78, 145, 0.538

clements--50.5, 96, 0.526

cwoodson--57.5, 122, 0.471

bailey--57, 126, 0.452

law--73, 173, 0.422

these are the top 6 guys. thats an impressive listing. looking at batted balls per game reveals:

bailey---138 batted balls / 126 G =1.095

mcalister---122/121=1.008

barber---141/145=0.972

bly---113/119=0.950

clements---87/96=0.906

this list once again shows some familiar names. bailey apperars twice, and it shows he is a monster (especially the graphic shown during a game last yr hitting on the fact his picks mostly take place within 5yds of the end zone or within the end zone itself, meaning he is such a drive killer). its a testament to his skill and concentration that he bats so many passes, yet gets so few in his direction. he averages more than 1 pass batted per outing---wow.

mcalister truly is shutdown, the physical specimen to which all corner should be measured. he has the height, strength, jumping ability, acceleration, and deep speed. he puts his mitts on a lot of passes, and he gets very few thrown his way, much like bailey.

ronde barber gets very little credit, but these numbers show why he is a long time stud at the pisition. toe play the cover2 scheme and tackle so well, yet make the plays he has is great.

2 corners on these lists are the 2 big names this week---bly and clements. they are still young/younger, and make things happen.

i think the niners just fueled their secondary with great speed (they also added michael lewis at safety from the eagles), tackling, and playmaking ability.

this is a big signing. clements wanted the big$$ last yr, saying he wanted the type of $$ bailey and law were commanding. he got it.

clements is definitely a top cover corner. he is strong, quick, fast, and physical. he has a knack for big plays (0.526/G) and has shutdown big time guys like marvin, ward, johnson, chambers, and djackson.

as far as big plays [i define these as sacks, FF, FR, INTs, and TDs], he ranks 3rd among current top cover corners. my listing of big plays, games played, and big plays/G shows:

bly--67, 119, 0.563

barber--78, 145, 0.538

clements--50.5, 96, 0.526

cwoodson--57.5, 122, 0.471

bailey--57, 126, 0.452

law--73, 173, 0.422

these are the top 6 guys. thats an impressive listing. looking at batted balls per game reveals:

bailey---138 batted balls / 126 G =1.095

mcalister---122/121=1.008

barber---141/145=0.972

bly---113/119=0.950

clements---87/96=0.906

this list once again shows some familiar names. bailey apperars twice, and it shows he is a monster (especially the graphic shown during a game last yr hitting on the fact his picks mostly take place within 5yds of the end zone or within the end zone itself, meaning he is such a drive killer). its a testament to his skill and concentration that he bats so many passes, yet gets so few in his direction. he averages more than 1 pass batted per outing---wow.

mcalister truly is shutdown, the physical specimen to which all corner should be measured. he has the height, strength, jumping ability, acceleration, and deep speed. he puts his mitts on a lot of passes, and he gets very few thrown his way, much like bailey.

ronde barber gets very little credit, but these numbers show why he is a long time stud at the pisition. toe play the cover2 scheme and tackle so well, yet make the plays he has is great.

2 corners on these lists are the 2 big names this week---bly and clements. they are still young/younger, and make things happen.

i think the niners just fueled their secondary with great speed (they also added michael lewis at safety from the eagles), tackling, and playmaking ability.

9-Route just won this topic.

:pointstosky:

- Deangelo Hall

- Nate Clement

- Asante Samuel

- Champ Bailey

- Dre Bly

- Chris McAlister

- Shaun Springs

- Nate Vasher

- Terrence Newman

- Pat Surtain

Oh, we also signed Michael Lewis, former Eagle SS.

Thats a bad list.

Oh c'mon, they dont put above average players in the pro bowl twice. He's an outstanding player!

Being from the Buffalo area I can tell you that he is not just above average or outstanding....He's not an elite CB but good one.

We got a bargain.

Backloaded contract with $22 MILLION UP FRONT!

Idiot.

Its a good deal for the niners, b/c they had the money....but please with the backloaded shiot. If he blows out a knee and loses a step i week 5, you are screwed. But he is a good corner.

and as for the stupid comments that he was Buffalo's #2 CB....thats ridiculous. He was by far their best corner THIS season. Good move by the Niners....it will not put them over the top or anything.

Thats a bad list.

Can't just diss someone's list and not provide a better one sirrr

Backloaded contract with $22 MILLION UP FRONT!

Idiot.

Because people don't heal, right? The same could be said for every player. Let's look at Vick's deal. 10 years, 130 Million with 37 Million guaranteed. I guess the Falcons f'ed that up...same thing with Manning and the Colts, right? 34.5 Million guaranteed is way to much because he might break his leg off in the preseason. Clements hasn't missed a game in his 6 year career. I'm not too worried. The salary cap keeps expanding and the niners locked up what they needed most. Feel free to bump this if things go sour. I'll give you your props if they do, but until then, don't be throwing out "idiot" or you may just prove yourself to be one.

Because people don't heal, right? The same could be said for every player. Let's look at Vick's deal. 10 years, 130 Million with 37 Million guaranteed. I guess the Falcons f'ed that up...same thing with Manning and the Colts, right? 34.5 Million guaranteed is way to much because he might break his leg off in the preseason. Clements hasn't missed a game in his 6 year career. I'm not too worried. The salary cap keeps expanding and the niners locked up what they needed most. Feel free to bump this if things go sour. I'll give you your props if they do, but until then, don't be throwing out "idiot" or you may just prove yourself to be one.

Wow, I think you wildly mis-interpreted the original post.