Sign in to follow this  
Team Revell

US Supreme Court upholds partial birth abortion ban

April 18 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Supreme Court upheld a nationwide ban on ``partial birth'' abortion, marking a shift on the high-profile issue and underscoring the impact of President George W. Bush's two high court appointments.

The justices, voting 5-4, today said they wouldn't invalidate the 2003 law on the grounds that it lacks an exception for cases posing a risk to the mother's health. The court also rejected claims that the Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act is so vaguely worded it would force doctors to forego a commonly used, constitutionally protected abortion technique for fear of prosecution.

The decision heralds a more receptive approach toward abortion restrictions from a court that in 2000 overturned a similar Nebraska law. Bush's appointees, Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Samuel Alito, helped turn the tide in today's case, joining the majority along with Justices Anthony Kennedy, Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas.

this is going to ruin the pro-baby killers day. :mellow:

Although overall I am pleased with the ruling, I feel that there should be medical options for terminating the pregancy in the case of endangerment of the mother's life.

Although overall I am pleased with the ruling, I feel that there should be medical options for terminating the pregancy in the case of endangerment of the mother's life.

honestly, i'd like to know how many cases they run up against where the mother's life is threatened but they can have the baby run almost all the way through the birth canal and then kill it. this helps the mother how?:mellow:

I'm a bit confused. Does this mean that I can't beat MDC to death with a coathanger?

I'm pro-choice but agree with this ruling.

Me too. My only problem is the lack of an exemption for the health of the mother, but I'd like to know how often this is an issue with partial birth abortion before making a big decision on it.

I'm totally opposed to partial birf abortions. I mean, if the kid's halfway out the bagina, that's just plain mean to kill him then.

so will the pro baby killers admit this is settled law like they want anti baby killers to say about roevwade?

:ninja: :dunno:

First off, no one is "pro baby killer"

This kind of name calling is certainly not going to support your view. It does however put a spotlight on your ignorance.

Here's my view:

The decision of how a women decides to continue her pregnancy or not is a decision that includes the women foremost, then the male partner, and then the physician. Not anyone else and least of all the government or any politician.

Now then, in my view, abortion should be legal in these cases:

- Mother's life is in danger

- Mother's health is seriously in danger

- Fetus clearly has no shot at a near healthy or normal life (brain damage or the like)

- Fetus conceived as a result of rape or incest

In these cases, a woman should not be shamed or fear for her own life as she goes to a family planning clinic. Anyone that stands at the doors of a clinic chanting should really search within. "Let those of you without sin cast the first stone". How many of you would not allow your wife or daughter to get an abortion if they were raped and this was causing them mental anguish.

Beyond that, I love life and support it whole heartedly. Until pro-lifers start to integrate the above issues into their rhetoric, I will continue to call myself PRO CHOICE!!

That's my $0.02

This is not a black and white.... right or wrong issue... IN MY OPINION... there are grey areas.

The Captain

First off, no one is "pro baby killer"

This kind of name calling is certainly not going to support your view. It does however put a spotlight on your ignorance.

Here's my view:

The decision of how a women decides to continue her pregnancy or not is a decision that includes the women foremost, then the male partner, and then the physician. Not anyone else and least of all the government or any politician.

Now then, in my view, abortion should be legal in these cases:

- Mother's life is in danger

- Mother's health is seriously in danger

- Fetus clearly has no shot at a near healthy or normal life (brain damage or the like)

- Fetus conceived as a result of rape or incest

In these cases, a woman should not be shamed or fear for her own life as she goes to a family planning clinic. Anyone that stands at the doors of a clinic chanting should really search within. "Let those of you without sin cast the first stone". How many of you would not allow your wife or daughter to get an abortion if they were raped and this was causing them mental anguish.

Beyond that, I love life and support it whole heartedly. Until pro-lifers start to integrate the above issues into their rhetoric, I will continue to call myself PRO CHOICE!!

That's my $0.02

This is not a black and white.... right or wrong issue... IN MY OPINION... there are grey areas.

The Captain

IM MY OPINION.....you sound like you are pro-baby killin'.

Just saying. :D

I'm pro-choice up to a point - a point which is far sooner than 9 months gestation. However, this Supreme Court decision is wrong. The Federal Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act is un-Constitutional on its face. The federal government has absolutely no authority to enact any abortion laws. Show me where in the enumerated powers section of the Constitution the federal government is granted this power. It isn't. However, the 10th amendment reads:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

It's up to the individual states to outlaw partial birth abortion. Yeah, partial birth abortion is murder. But, it's no more murder than someone shooting a liquor store clerk. It's NOT a federal case, and the feds have no business prosecuting it.

Funny how the so called "conservatives" who claim to hold a strict interpretation of the Constitution suddenly forget that when it comes to sex, drugs and abortion.

I can't think of an issue with more grey areas. Yet most people on both sides want to make it black or white. Makes it a difficult topic to discuss in any kind of rational or respectful manner.

IM MY OPINION.....you sound like you are pro-baby killin'.

Just saying. :D

I do not support the killing of babies. (not using more of your ignorant terms)

There are instances where the life of a pregnant woman comes first. And it is her choice to continue the pregnancy or not.

If you want to keep it black and white... then I AM PRO CHOICE!

There are instances where the life of a pregnant woman comes first. And it is her choice to continue the pregnancy or not.

Walks like a Pro-Baby Killer, talks like a Pro-Baby Killer..... :D

why do you hate babies?

I'm pro-choice up to a point - a point which is far sooner than 9 months gestation. However, this Supreme Court decision is wrong. The Federal Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act is un-Constitutional on its face. The federal government has absolutely no authority to enact any abortion laws. Show me where in the enumerated powers section of the Constitution the federal government is granted this power. It isn't. However, the 10th amendment reads:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

It's up to the individual states to outlaw partial birth abortion. Yeah, partial birth abortion is murder. But, it's no more murder than someone shooting a liquor store clerk. It's NOT a federal case, and the feds have no business prosecuting it.

Funny how the so called "conservatives" who claim to hold a strict interpretation of the Constitution suddenly forget that when it comes to sex, drugs and abortion.

I agree that this should be strictly a state matter, which is why Rowe V. Wade should have never happened. Each state should be able to ban, or not ban abortions as they see fit.

I agree that this should be strictly a state matter, which is why Rowe V. Wade should have never happened. Each state should be able to ban, or not ban abortions as they see fit.

So a womens rights in the USA depend on where she lives?

By that logic, Roe vs. Wade is also unconstitutional and individual states should be able to decide for themselves whether or not they will allow any abortions at all- not just partial birth abortions.

Since the Federal Goverment long ago took it upon itself to pass legislation on regular abortions, it makes sense that they'd also decide on partial birth abortions.

State's rights activists problem should be with Roe v. Wade, not with the Partial Birth Abortion Ban.

By that logic, Roe vs. Wade is also unconstitutional and individual states should be able to decide for themselves whether or not they will allow any abortions at all- not just partial birth abortions.

Since the Federal Goverment long ago took it upon itself to pass legislation on regular abortions, it makes sense that they'd also decide on partial birth abortions.

State's rights activists problem should be with Roe v. Wade, not with the Partial Birth Abortion Ban.

But aren't we ignoring this part of the amendment " or to the people."

Are you saying that this is never the case?

Aren't rights be definition something guranteed to all citizens of the US?

From the "libertarian" :rolleyes:

Again with you. Starting arguments with me again.

I don't know who likes me more, you or your fellow ###### MDC. :lol:

That being said, Partial Birth abortions that occur during the third trimester are on a human being, not a fetus. You can call it a fetus all you want to, but if you pulled that puppy out, it would survive. Therefore my libertarian views are held fast due to the baby's rights as a human being.

Anything else, cyric?

Looks like an ignoramous.... Smells like an a$$hole... :doh:

At least I don't support killing babies, jackass.

Again with you. Starting arguments with me again.

I don't know who likes me more, you or your fellow ###### MDC. B)

That being said, Partial Birth abortions that occur during the third trimester are on a human being, not a fetus. You can call it a fetus all you want to, but if you pulled that puppy out, it would survive. Therefore my libertarian views are held fast due to the baby's rights as a human being.

Anything else, cyric?

At least I don't support killing babies, jackass.

Cause I replied to you twice today, my we have the ego....

Really, third trimester babies would survive if you just popped them out, seems like a waste of God's time to incubate them for that extra 3 months then...guess he made a clerical error.

I don't understand why this is such a hotly debated issue. If you don't want the kid, simply punch your woman in the stomach and then throw her down some stairs. Problem solved.

Cause I replied to you twice today, my we have the ego....

Really, third trimester babies would survive if you just popped them out, seems like a waste of God's time to incubate them for that extra 3 months then...guess he made a clerical error.

Yes, they would. But they stand a better chance going full term.

"Better Chance" is not the same as "Not at All", you focking dipshit.

And where in the constitution is the right to an abortion found?

I don't know who likes me more, you or your fellow ###### MDC. :rolleyes:

This from the guy who follows me into a thread about car shares to start yet another sissy slapfight.

itsatipthatprojection

Also, since the second amendment is in the constitution, and does gaurantee the right to own handguns, why would I not have that "right" if I lived in Washington D.C.?

Where did Captain roomy baby killer roo go?

I gave my opinion. Do you have a question?

If you have a serious question, I would be happy to reply.

Done with the stupid childish comments.

Do you have something intelligent to say?... didn't think so