Sign in to follow this  
football_scooter

Rumor: Niners dealing a 4th round pick to SEA

no link, heard it on KNBR on the way home tonight. Apparently he was in Santa Clara today for a physical.

This would be unbelievable. Niners getting DJax would address the need for a WR1 and would cost virtually nothing. They'd still have 3 picks in the 4th and 4 other picks earlier.

de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!* de-fense *clap!* *clap!*

If it is really only for a 4th rounder, then this deal is great for the niners. DJax does have some questionable hands, so I would say that a 3-4th round pick is about right. They need somebody to take the pressure off Gore, and this sure would help.

I wish Dallas or Carolina could get him, but SF probably has plenty of cap space for his contract. A 4th is pretty cheap for a Possesion receiver...

If DJ passes his physical with SF, I think this trade happens. Giving up a 4th round pick for a guy who is a solid player when healthy...we'll take it.

Really dumb trade for the 'Hawks. DJax is the best receiver they have. Sure he's been hurt lately, but no one else on that team looks like a #1 WR to me. I just don't think Branch is consistent enough to do the job. And why trade him to a division rival for a 2nd day pick? Just doesn't make any sense to me. At least trade him outside the division.

I agree, dumb trade for the Seattle. Why trade him to SF in the division. Something doesn't smell right! :thumbsdown:

He is there best WR! Well, maybe not after today.

Ugh...if all it took was a 4th and Green Bay did not go after him I would be a bit upset.

The niners might get trumped now that some one has leaked that a 4th rounder is on the table. The Titans and Saints are still interested and could conceivebaly up the ante. Remember Mike Reinfeldt is now running the show in Tennessee. I would not be one bit suproised to see that the Hawks are using their divisional rival to up the ante and move Jackson elsewhere.

I'm sorry but when your receivers are is piss poor as the Vikings are, they have to be on the phone to Seattle. Maybe they don't want to deal with them but they have to try. You cannot tell me that the Vikings are overvaluing a 4th rounder that badly. Here are the players they have drafted in the last 10 years in the 4th round. That is just downright sad and pretty discouraging.

Please tell me you are afraid of trading this pick for Jackson:

Hunter Goodwin, Antonio Banks, Kivuusama Mays, Kenny Wright, Jay Humphrey, Antonio Wilson, Tyrone Carter, Shawn Worthen, Cedric James, Brian Williams, Ed Ta'amu, Onterrio Smith, Nat Dorsey, Mewelde Moore, Ciatrick Fason, Ray Edwards.

I'm sorry but when your receivers are is piss poor as the Vikings are, they have to be on the phone to Seattle. Maybe they don't want to deal with them but they have to try. You cannot tell me that the Vikings are overvaluing a 4th rounder that badly. Here are the players they have drafted in the last 10 years in the 4th round. That is just downright sad and pretty discouraging.

Please tell me you are afraid of trading this pick for Jackson:

Hunter Goodwin, Antonio Banks, Kivuusama Mays, Kenny Wright, Jay Humphrey, Antonio Wilson, Tyrone Carter, Shawn Worthen, Cedric James, Brian Williams, Ed Ta'amu, Onterrio Smith, Nat Dorsey, Mewelde Moore, Ciatrick Fason, Ray Edwards.

Yeah, it is now a bad deal what happened with Seattle last year. The Vikes desparately need a Darrell Jackson. A 4th round pick, are you serious, I would take him over everyone in the draft (when healthy) minus CJ! Maybe the knee is a concern and Seattle can't depend on him anymore :first:

Yeah, it is now a bad deal what happened with Seattle last year. The Vikes desparately need a Darrell Jackson. A 4th round pick, are you serious, I would take him over everyone in the draft (when healthy) minus CJ! Maybe the knee is a concern and Seattle can't depend on him anymore :first:

A 4th for Darrell Jackson a season after they gave up a 3rd for Nate Burleson. Yuck. :D

If Jackson played 10 games a year for the next 3 seasons and then retired he is still worth a 4th round pick. This one really bothers me.

While I think Deion Branch has the potential to be a top notch #1 WR in this league, there is very questionable depth beyond that on the Seahawks roster. I really hate to give up Darrell Jackson for only a 4th, but that knee must be pretty shot. They aren't going to resign him beyond this year, and there is bad blood behind the scenes regarding his contract.

I hate to help out the Niners. :banana:

But we do appreciate letting Julian Peterson slip away to us last year. :ninja:

While I think Deion Branch has the potential to be a top notch #1 WR in this league, there is very questionable depth beyond that on the Seahawks roster. I really hate to give up Darrell Jackson for only a 4th, but that knee must be pretty shot. They aren't going to resign him beyond this year, and there is bad blood behind the scenes regarding his contract.

I hate to help out the Niners. :banana:

But we do appreciate letting Julian Peterson slip away to us last year. :doublethumbsup:

This is a great deal for the Niners, and a terrible, terrible deal for the Seahawks.

That said, they had major issues with DJax personally...he thought they were dishonest with him over his injury, and there was a lot of bad blood as I'd heard it last season.

I love this move - this just made the Niners 8 pick a lot easier - I hate rookie WRs.

I don't care for this deal at all (as a hawk fan) :dunno: . However, that being said, the pressure is now squarely on the shoulders of Alex Smith to step up. No longer can Smith fans use the "he has no weapons" excuse. Time to step up or step off Mr. Smith.

scooter, et al... what's the impact, then, on both djax and smith's values? is the biggest upside all the way around for gore?

yeah, this one's confusing... checkbook considerations only? djax isn't cancer, is he?

Allot of sites think this will hurt DJax's value, but I'm not so sure. He's certainly leaving a great passing offence and a better QB situation. But he was also going to have to share the ball with Branch, Hackett and Engram. He's clearly the #1 in SF however. It could mean more double teams, but he should be used to that. I think in a PPR league his value could rise, as he may catch more balls this year. But I would think his yardage totals and TD's could take a hit. Overall, I'm not sure this is a huge hit to his value in a PPR.

guess i'm on board with that... smith's the question mark. my guess is darrell ain't seein the end zone as much, though

i truly doubt that he even passes the physical....

if they hand him the xray results, he will just drop them.....

Yup, ALex Smith finally has that veteran WR that will be able to work with him and help him improve. Great trade, even if DJax isn't as productive as before.

Somebody mentioned the Packers here........what about the Houston Texans? Why aren't they stepping up to land a veteran receiver. Beyond Andre Johnson, they have absolutely NOTHING.

I don't understand teams not stepping up on this one. And, if they did, I can't understand Seattle deciding to trade to a division rival. :P

Somebody mentioned the Packers here........what about the Houston Texans? Why aren't they stepping up to land a veteran receiver. Beyond Andre Johnson, they have absolutely NOTHING.

I don't understand teams not stepping up on this one. And, if they did, I can't understand Seattle deciding to trade to a division rival. :dunno:

Physical passed. DJAx healthy. He had 10 TDs last year. Opposite Battle, with the rookie in the slot and Vernon Davis lining up wherever? Wow. All that will open up everything for Gore underneath.

After last season I'm surprised people think that Smith has anything left to prove. That's somewhat misguided when you consider that without Vernon Davis, Alex Smith still managed to improve dramatically...

SF is suddenly a very, very good football team. They addressed te following holes:

1. Pass rush: they have several DL and Willis, arguably the best ILB and character guy in this draft.

2. replace that pile of crap Kwam "false start, #77" Harris with Staley, who is regarded as one of the best OTs in the draft

3. added a very solid young WR

4. Dealt for a legitamate #1 WR

5. Took a safety to help spell Greg Lewis - IMO a key move since Davis isn't that young.

All told, the offseason attention to the secondary, Ashley Lelie, Gore's extention, and now the draft & trade results, I am entirely thrilled and excited about the Niners offseason. I grade it an A+

They are going to be a very, very entertaining team next season. :banana:

So this makes DJ Hackett an awesome sleeper in next years draft. He'll start opposite Branch now & Hasselbeck looks for him all day!

Physical passed. DJAx healthy. He had 10 TDs last year. Opposite Battle, with the rookie in the slot and Vernon Davis lining up wherever? Wow. All that will open up everything for Gore underneath.

After last season I'm surprised people think that Smith has anything left to prove. That's somewhat misguided when you consider that without Vernon Davis, Alex Smith still managed to improve dramatically...

SF is suddenly a very, very good football team. They addressed te following holes:

1. Pass rush: they have several DL and Willis, arguably the best ILB and character guy in this draft.

2. replace that pile of crap Kwam "false start, #77" Harris with Staley, who is regarded as one of the best OTs in the draft

5. Took a safety to help spell Greg Lewis - IMO a key move since Davis isn't that young.

All told, the offseason attention to the secondary, Ashley Lelie, Gore's extention, and now the draft & trade results, I am entirely thrilled and excited about the Niners offseason. I grade it an A+

They are going to be a very, very entertaining team next season. :banana:

Agreed on Smith. People are expecting things way too fast for QBs. Seems like Smith has made steady progress and as long as he doesn't regress this year, this offense should look pretty good.

In almost all cases, it takes several years for an NFL QB to develop. It looks like Smith is currently in the midst of doing that.

what is Seattle thinking?

Awful :thumbsup:

Maybe they know something we don't....:Suspicious Look:

So this makes DJ Hackett an awesome sleeper in next years draft. He'll start opposite Branch now & Hasselbeck looks for him all day!

Hackett isn't a slam dunk by any means. Engram and Burleson are in the mix to start. Engram was the starter when Koren Robinson got cut. And Burleson is making a lot of money to just be returning kicks/punts.

Maybe they know something we don't....:Suspicious Look:

He passed his physical - the guy's sound health-wise.

He was a ham hands for a season+, but he seemed to really get that corrected the last year or so.

The reason they dealt him is that he was disgruntled from when he hurt his knee. Something about the team lying to him, and hurting his chances at incentive bonuses.

Irreconcilable differences. Divorce. The only thing that surprises me is that he went to a divisional rival, but with so many good WRs in house, I'm not at all surprised that DJax is no longer a Seahawk.

Whatever the case, he's a Niner and that's the best news I've heard in months. I was racking my brain trying to figure out what the Niners were going to do for a #1.

I was thinking that there are a lot of similarities between the DJAX => SF and Moss => NE situations; disgruntled player, questions about said player and each traded for a 4th round pick. Yet it's funny how some people think that one trade is a great deal while the other is crap :first:

Just messin' with you Scooter

Any number projections?

I'd guess 800/9 conservatively. With a reliable route runner like DJax who knows how to use his body to position himself in a way that he provides the QB with a great target in traffic, I think Alex Smith will benefit in ways he couldn't with Bryant.

DJax already said they he plans on participating in all mini camps from the 1st to the last, so he can get up to speed with the offense as quickly as possible. He said the most exciting thing about this deal is that he gets to play Seattle 2X this year. :first:

I was thinking that there are a lot of similarities between the DJAX => SF and Moss => NE situations; disgruntled player, questions about said player and each traded for a 4th round pick. Yet it's funny how some people think that one trade is a great deal while the other is crap :lol:

Just messin' with you Scooter

I know...no worries man.

I think DJax is a better WR right now. He is tougher, runs better routes, and isn't afraid of contact.

;)

No one's been talking about DJackson's diminished skills...so long as his knee's healthy, it's all good.

I'd guess 800/9 conservatively. With a reliable route runner like DJax who knows how to use his body to position himself in a way that he provides the QB with a great target in traffic, I think Alex Smith will benefit in ways he couldn't with Bryant.

DJax already said they he plans on participating in all mini camps from the 1st to the last, so he can get up to speed with the offense as quickly as possible. He said the most exciting thing about this deal is that he gets to play Seattle 2X this year. :first:

I know...no worries man.

I think DJax is a better WR right now. He is tougher, runs better routes, and isn't afraid of contact.

:lol:

No one's been talking about DJackson's diminished skills...so long as his knee's healthy, it's all good.

I think this was a great deal for SF. The only questions with DJAX is staying on the field and the occasional drops. But IMO I think the drops was just contagious on that team. Seemed like once it started every receiver got butter fingers. It became a mental thing. With the new situation and a new QB throwing to him, I think the drops is in the past for DJax. So the only minor concern is health. Good news for FF that he passed the physical but as we know that doesn't mean something won't flare up during the season. But bottom line, for a 4th rounder it's low risk high reward. And taking him from a division rival is the cherry on top.

But IMO I think the drops was just contagious on that team. Seemed like once it started every receiver got butter fingers.

Better hide Ashley Lelie :first:

They are going to be a very, very entertaining team next season. :dunno:

:banana:

:banana:

Dance, banana, dance.....

So the only minor concern is health.

and contract. Remember, Jackson was quite happy with his deal originally but over time became pissed. He is saying all the right things now but we'll see. Bottom line, the guy was a very good receiver during his time in Seattle, and I think he was unfairly labeled as having butter fingers. That being said, he was not very good in the lockeroom and those kinda guys don't often change their ways. They always seem to find stuff to complain about.

Just want to chime in from the east. After years of getting ridiculed, I feel really optimistic about what has happened these past few months. Willlis is a monster and will immediately make an impact. It is A. Smith's time to step up and show he was worthy of the R1P1. GO NINERS! Looking forward to this year.

I was just wondering.... why is their MLB Willis, a "monster" all of the sudden? A couple months ago he was considered a BORDERLINE late 1st round pick, most people had him slipping to the 2nd round. Then he gets taken by the niners, so he must be a stud since he was taken so high.

I was just wondering.... why is their MLB Willis, a "monster" all of the sudden? A couple months ago he was considered a BORDERLINE late 1st round pick, most people had him slipping to the 2nd round. Then he gets taken by the niners, so he must be a stud since he was taken so high.

Actually, I didn't know anything about the guy, but he was regarded by Kaiper, CBS Sportsline, NFL.com and several other media sources as the best linebacker in the draft, and potentially the best character guy as well. His mother ran out on his family when he was 5, and from the age of 6, he cooked his little brothers & sisters breakfast every day, and worked all his spare time picking cotton to help his father with utility payments. His brother was killed in a swimming accident and he dedicated his football career to his memory. Talk about playing with a purpose (his bro, also a LB, 17 y/o, cramped up and his friends weren't strong enough to save him - tragic) He's well liked, has a great track record, and from the tape I've seen, he is a monster with sideline to sideline speed.

Just sayin' - your assertion seems to be that Niners fans are hyping this guy up, but the hype was there before they picked him. There were Buffalo fans on here on Saturday righteously pissed off.

Here's what ESPN has to say about Willis:

A stout run defender, Willis takes the shortest path to the ball and wraps up upon contact. Willis can also match up with most backs and tight ends when he drops into coverage. Finally, he is a leader on the field and a hard worker off it. In other words, he is the kind of player defenses are built around and he immediately improves San Francisco's defense.

CBS:

One of the few bright spots during the Rebels' rebuilding process, Willis established himself as the best middle linebacker in college football the last two years. He played most of the 2005 season with a broken right hand, but still ranked sixth in the nation in tackles per game (10.9). He surpassed those totals in 2006, again ranking sixth nationally with an average of 11.42 tackles per game.

One of the most respected players in the country, Willis is also one of the most liked personalities away from the game. A leader both on the field and off, he is heavily involved in community service. Despite all of the accolades he has received the last two seasons, he quietly goes about his job.

How far he has come on and off the field is because of his tireless work ethic. Willis came from a split family environment, as his mother left home more than 15 years ago. At age six, Patrick was cooking breakfast for his younger sister and brothers. At 10, he was picking cotton around his home. The proceeds went to his father, Ernest, to pay the utilities. Even now, Patrick says it wasn't that bad.

Willis would play his final season at Mississippi with a heavy heart after the death of his brother, Detris. Detris, 17, had been swimming with friends in gravel pits near the family's hometown of Bruceton. The 218-pound teenage linebacker cramped up. "Once he cramped up, it just spread," Patrick said. "He was the biggest one out there. No one could pull him out." Patrick would dedicate the rest of his career to the memory of his brother.

At Bruceton High School, Willis earned Class "A" Mr. Football honors and was a two-time all-state choice. He was also chosen Regional Most Valuable Player and West Tennessee Player of the Year as a senior. The previous season, Willis was named all-state, All-West Tennessee and Regional Defensive Player of the Year. As a sophomore, he was a first-team all-region and honorable mention all-state pick, adding all-region honors as a freshman.

During his senior season, Willis had 194 carries for 2,167 yards (11.2 avg.) and 30 touchdowns. Defensively, he was credited with 163 tackles, including 36 for losses, while racking up 12 sacks and four pass interceptions, returning one for a score. He helped lead Central High to the 2001 and 2002 Regional Championship and State Quarterfinals. Central was also a 1999 state semifinalist.

For his career, Willis carried the ball 276 times for 2,486 yards (9.0 avg.) and 39 scores. He had 51 receptions for 946 yards (18.5 avg.) and 17 touchdowns. On defense, he made 494 career tackles, including 275 solo hits, as well as 23 sacks, 46 stops for losses and 13 interceptions, with six returned for touchdowns. He scored 392 career points (62 TDs, one extra point, three two-point conversion, one field goal, two safeties) and compiled 3,944 all-purpose yards.

Willis also earned four letters in basketball and three in baseball. He averaged 18 points and 11 rebounds as a senior, 24 points and 11 rebounds as a junior, and 18 points and eight rebounds as a sophomore during his basketball career. He picked up all-district, all-region, District Most Valuable Player, All-West Tennessee, and honorable mention all-state honors in basketball. In baseball, he garnered all-district honors. He was also named Mr. Central High School.

http://sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/430383

there's more...every search you do says he was the best linebacker in college the last 2 seasons, and the Niners D had everything but pass rush. With pass rush, a good secondary becomes better. With an improved secondary, the Niners D/ST could be very opportunistic. For fantasy that's sleeper material. If Willis is 1/2 as good as they say, I'll gladly burn a 16th round pick on the Niners D/ST.

Guy was a hell of a RB....Hell, I hope they line him up for short yardage! :thumbsup: