Sign in to follow this  
DBZFan2K

Keyshawn Johnson retires (update via ESPN)

He can't have much left in the tank. I also don't believe that he has the skill's a superbowl caliber team would need.

Game over MESHAWN - - go work with Irving. Talk about comments between these to egomaniacs "when I played" "when our superbowl team" "I I I" "back when I was awesome" - - Ugh I would have to veto that pregame show.

The way he was talking on the NFL Network during the draft... He had no idea this was coming. Talk about a kick in the dic. Looks like he'll be watching Jarrett develop instead of helping him develop!!

Keyshawn :doh: :lol:

Jarrett owners in Dynasty :dunno: :lol: :lol:

The way he was talking on the NFL Network during the draft... He had no idea this was coming. Talk about a kick in the dic. Looks like he'll be watching Jarrett develop instead of helping him develop!!

Keyshawn :doh: :lol:

Jarrett owners in Dynasty :dunno: :lol: :lol:

Yes, it looks like he won't be able to mold Jarrett in his own image.

I guess he is not the Panthers "Wide out for the millennium." Seriously, after all that chest beating during the draft when he compared every WR to himself, the guy got what he deserves.

Contenders? Green Bay? Philly?

:first:

This has to be more than just a football descision. Something behind the scenes is going on here. :first:

Wow. After all the cheerleading Keyshawn did for the Panthers during the draft, he gets cut? He had a decent season, and you'd think a receiving corps of SS, Keyshawn, and Jarrett would really help Delhomme get his career back on track.

Somewhere Wayne Chrebet is pissing himself laughing. :first:

That's focking hilarious. Keyshawn unknowingly interviewed the guy that took his job. :first:

He's got to feel like a turd the size of Egypt right now.

Jarrett will be a great compliment to Steve Smith, especially in the redzone where Jarrett will excel. During the draft I thought it would be Keyshawn grooming him to be his replacement next year since they are similar players. We'll soon see Jarret running those fade routes into the corner of the endzone and outleaping the 6' defender for the TD.

no local scoop as to why yet... this is completely shocking to me. He's a decent price ($1 mil) for a solid vet WR, and w/o him, SS is CAR's only legit WR - CAR can't count on just Jarrett to step up and play immediately (look what happened when Moose left and it was Smitty and Colbert/Carter).

this is completely shocking... especially since they just paid him $2 mil on April 1 as part of a deferred signing bonus...

i hope PHI picks him up, as i thought that would have been a great place for him when they picked up TO instead...

I wouldn't mind seeing the Vikes pick him up for a year.

ETA: I wouldn't be surprised to see the Raiders go after him. There was some serious man love between KJ and Kiffin on draft day. :first:

Why Panthers canned Keyshawn

Here's why Keyshawn Johnson is gone:

Although the receiver, who was followed by controversy in his previous stops, seemed to be a model citizen in his one season with the Panthers, there were some-behind the scenes issues.

Some very important people in the organization weren't happy when Johnson failed to stand up and take blame away from quarterback Jake Delhomme after some critical passes intended for Johnson were intercepted. At least one very important person in the organization urged Johnson to do that and he didn't.

Johnson also didn't endear himself to some key people by questioning some coaching moves. The Panthers are on the hook for $3.75 million in salary cap space because of remaining signing bonus prorations. They may designate Johnson as a June 1 cut and spread the cap hit over two years.

The decision to part ways with Johnson actually was made at least several weeks ago. When a rumor was circulating about this move last week, Panthers general manager Marty Hurney told The Observer that information was "not accurate.''

Apparently, the Panthers wanted to make sure their bases were covered before officially making the move, and the clincher came when they drafted USC's Dwayne Jarrett in the second round Saturday.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/

They paid him a 3 million dollar bonus on April 1st. :dunno: per espn radio.

Freaking hilarious. He's got to be so pissed right now about that. Maybe the Panthers overheard him talking about how he'd take Jarrett under his wing and teach him how to be a great wr and they instantly cut him thinking he'd poison Jarrett.

All that being said, I'd love to see the Packers snatch Keyshawn up. :dunno:

I guess he is not the Panthers "Wide out for the millennium." Seriously, after all that chest beating during the draft when he compared every WR to himself, the guy got what he deserves.

Contenders? Green Bay? Philly?

I would think that he will go somewhere where they can win a Super Bowl. Would doubt GB, but possibly Philly. NO, SD, Denver were the first few teams to come to my mind.

I would think that he will go somewhere where they can win a Super Bowl. Would doubt GB, but possibly Philly. NO, SD, Denver were the first few teams to come to my mind.

maybe NE will pick him up - they need to pick up another WR in this offseason...

maybe NE will pick him up - they need to pick up another WR in this offseason...

:dunno:

Well, can't say I'll be surprised if they do.

I'd like to see him as a Viking...like V4E said, at least for one season. Even with his diminished skills, he'd still be the #1.

It would not surprise me if he signs with the Redskins. They desperately need a possesion receiver. As much as I think he's a tool, he still can produce in the right system.

Surprised to see him cut, he fit in well enough and was a good possesion WR and $ inside the 20yd line

Miami's #2?, Falcons? :doublethumbsup:

It would not surprise me if he signs with the Redskins. They desperately need a possesion receiver. As much as I think he's a tool, he still can produce in the right system.

Don't the Skins already have too much invested in a mediocre WR squad? They have Moss, Lloyd, Randel El, and Patten, and all of them are over paid. Well... with the exception of Moss maybe.

It wouldn't surprise me if they pay him a good chunk of change to play for them, but it was be a very dumb move.

Don't the Skins already have too much invested in a mediocre WR squad? They have Moss, Lloyd, Randel El, and Patten, and all of them are over paid. Well... with the exception of Moss maybe.

It wouldn't surprise me if they pay him a good chunk of change to play for them, but it was be a very dumb move.

I believe Patten is in NO now.

I don't know if SD of Denver would look at him. Yes they are looking for WR depth, but this kid is not a Moss or TO - he has the attitude and not the skill. Those teams are not desperate enough to sign this clown. Teams that will look at him are teams on the cusp of the playoffs with big holes in wide outs.

I believe Patten is in NO now.

I thought he moved, but when I checked their depth chart recently it still showed him on there.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/WAS

I guess the over pay their webmaster too.

Yes you beat me to it.

Then Brady can line up shotgun every single play with Welker, Moss, and Stallworth. Unbelievable.

Heh. I was just thinking how funny it would be if he got traded on draft day. This is almost as embarrassing.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Packers uniform for a year or 2. Plenty of youth to mentor there.

What about the Niners - what a lineup with

Lelie

Jackson

Johnson

Battle

and don't forget about Davis - Nolan could bring back the run and gun!! :dunno:

Not much more to be said. I just wanted to register my displeasure with this move. It might have been a little easier to take if they had waited until training camp to get a better idea of what they had at the WR position before deciding they could cut their starter.

Sure, they wanted to get younger, but clearly they paid his roster bonus so they could keep him in the fold until they saw what they could land in the draft. Bottom line is they cut Key because he wasn't a rah rah Panthers (and Delhomme) guy, so he didn't fit in with the chemistry they're trying to maintain, or maybe even build, at this point.

At least he got a nice severance package and has time to shop around for another team.

What about the Niners - what a lineup with

Lelie

Jackson

Johnson

Battle

and don't forget about Davis - Nolan could bring back the run and gun!! :mad:

The Niners learned their lesson with T.O.

The Titans are in desparate need of WR help I can see him landing there or with San Fransisco

Why not package him with Kris Jenkins and get something out of it? Curious move with the timing of the roster bonus. Hope Dwayne Jarrett comes ready to play or Drew Carter steps up.

The funny thing is that Keyshawn won over the fanbase here in a year's time. To know him is to love him, I imagine. I will definitely miss him and hate this move.

Not only does it say a lot about Jarrett, this move also is a vote of confidence in Keary Colbert and Drew Carter. Apparently they get one more year.

Sources are mixed on this but some are reporting the Panthers did not pay Keyshawn that bonus in April. That would make more sense.

Keyshawn will let the free agency process draw out long enough to avoid minicamp. Being totally in love with himself aside, he was actually pretty darn good on tv from what little I got to see. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if his next contract comes from Bristol.

The funny thing is that Keyshawn won over the fanbase here in a year's time. To know him is to love him, I imagine. I will definitely miss him and hate this move.

Not only does it say a lot about Jarrett, this move also is a vote of confidence in Keary Colbert and Drew Carter. Apparently they get one more year.

Sources are mixed on this but some are reporting the Panthers did not pay Keyshawn that bonus in April. That would make more sense.

Keyshawn will let the free agency process draw out long enough to avoid minicamp. Being totally in love with himself aside, he was actually pretty darn good on tv from what little I got to see. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if his next contract comes from Bristol.

wow - a Keyshawn Johnson fan/apologist. Now why am I not surprised about that in the slightest? :cry:

credibility: 1

MahSoonerz: 0

wow - a Keyshawn Johnson fan/apologist. Now why am I not surprised about that in the slightest? <_<

credibility: 1

MahSoonerz: 0

Hey, I have always liked those players who love them some them. We call it "swagger" where I come from.