Sign in to follow this  
Jetdoc

9th/10th Round Commentary

im done with vick. i had him last year in his best fantasy year ever and he was NOT a reliable fantasy qb. he is one of those guys that is more than just the numbers, and this time thats not a good thing. hes just not consistent enough. i even tried purposely platooning him last year, only picking what seemed like good starts, and it is just too hard to predict. his numbers will add up to a top 10 QB by the end of the year if he plays all year, but in the mean time he'll have 3-5 blowup games where you'll definitely win and another 5-8 mediocre to crappy games where you'll have to make points up on the opposition.

i dont know how much the dog fighting thing will affect vick. maybe it doesnt cost him any games, though im not sure i believe that at this point. but even if he doesnt miss for that AND magically doesnt get injured the whole season, im just not sure hes a qb i want to count on. qbs score a lot of fantasy points. rare is the qb who can really win you fantasy games, and to be fair, vick is one of them. but id rather take my safe qb points and not risk getting really behind the 8 ball with a vick crapper. and honestly, even if he doesnt miss games, i dont see any way he is not affected by all this nonsense with his performance on the field. look at how everything off the field affected big ben last year. this is a much bigger deal and a much worse QB.

all that being said, it is the 10th round, so i guess its hard to make fun of any pick at this point. im just sick of vick at this point. i dont see him consistently helping any fantasy team, and im not sure he ever has except maybe in a rotisserie league or a dog fighting league.

Say he only gets 2 injury starts and a bye week. You just never know what will happen those weeks, but he is a pretty solid #2 in round 10.

true enough. but with miller having both eli and vick, i would expect both to be very hit or miss, in and out of the top 10 all season if healthy. that would put him in a position of having to make the tough choice every single week. personally, that is the death of me in fantasy football. i think the consistency factor of QBs is very underrated. choosing the right platooning QB each week is very difficult, luck as much as anything else. i much prefer to draft someone a little better and just let them accumulate their points over the season. even with vick, if youre to be able to appreciate a season like last years, the only real way to do it is to start him every game or else just get incredibly lucky.

haha nan, ive been waiting for you to take kennison. took you long enough. :cheers:

Well in my league where passing TD's are worth 4 pts, Vick was the #2 QB last season!! A little inconsistent, sure, but more then made up for it. In fact, his inconsistency didn't REALLY hit till the end of the year when he had 3 games under 10 pts in his last 4 games.

Here is the breakdown on fantasy points:

0-10 - 3 weeks (14,16,17)

11-20 - 9 weeks

21+ - 4 weeks

Compare that to someone like Marc Bulger who also had a top 5 year:

0-10 - 4 weeks

11-20 - 7 weeks

21+ - 5 weeks

The problem lies in when you try to pick and guess the weeks with top QB's, in a platoon, you could have ended up with crap if you didn't pick well. I you woudl have rode Vick all year, you woudl have been damn happy and probally in the playoffs if you picked well elsewhere, put it this way, he wouldn't have hurt you at all. At least until the playoffs where he fell of off the plantet. But overall ,Vick was really not inconsistent in my opinion.

reuben droughns is a player ive had my eye on since about my 7th round pick, and im surprised with the dearth of RBs left that he hasnt been taken yet. i am obviously not enamored with him since i waited so long, and im not a big fan of any giants in general again this year. that being said, tiki is retired and he had 385 touches last year. i am not buying that simply transferring over to brandon jacobs. jacobs already had 100 carries last year. i honestly dont see him taking more than another 150 of those touches max, as i dont think hes a workhorse personally. that leaves 200-250 touches for droughns, who i think will be used as the primary guy between the 20s and also as the third down back. hes shown himself to be a good receiver in the past, so i think he'll have around 300 yards in the air and another 6-800 on the ground. he certainly isnt going to get many TDs, and he may not have a huge ceiling unless jacobs disappears, but i think hes a guy who would consistently get around 50 yards a week and could be an emergency RB start if i needed him to be.

like i said, with all the other RBs gone already, two from probably half the teams out there, im surprised to see droughns still there since he seems like top 5 or 10 in "backup RB" status guys who look sure to see a lot of touches. thoughts on this one?

With Alex Smith you get a QB with a very easy schedule, a good tight end and a running back who will keep the defense honest. I had him ranked as my QB15 and would gladly have a QB combo of Manning/Smith all season long. May not use Smith, but in case of injury Smith's schedule and ability I think will serve me well.

I could have taken Vick here so 10th round for either is a great pick. Sure is pickin' up on Sunday night, we may actually finish tomorrow!

choosing the right platooning QB each week is very difficult, luck as much as anything else. i much prefer to draft someone a little better and just let them accumulate their points over the season. even with vick, if youre to be able to appreciate a season like last years, the only real way to do it is to start him every game or else just get incredibly lucky.

See that is where we differ completely. Why in the heck would you have been platooning Vick last season?? If you would have simply stopped trying to out think yourself and rode Vick, you would have been very happy till the end of the year. This is why you don't sit your studs, you end up out thinking yourself and then you get frustrated with players you shouldn't get frustrated with. Instead of being frustrated with Vick, maybe you should be frustrated with your decisuion to make this game more difficult then it is :cheers:

Vick

First, even if has the blow up then nothing games, he is Miller's #2 so he could take advantage of such a player as he could deal him after a blow up game or 2.

With that said, for me, I don't like Eli that much this year, so if Vick was suspended or you ended up counting on him that's not a great scenario.

MT does say he likes Eli and if he does pan out then fine...just not position I'd like to be in personally.

Kennison

Thoughts on pick?Bomb...wasn't sure if that comment was you liked the pick or not.

Coming off down year, but entire pass offense took step back b/c of LJ/Chiefs running so much.

Again, at worst think I break even with 750-800/3-4...at best could bounce back to his 1100/6 days.

Considered another WR here, we'll see where he goes.

Think I solidified my boring, yet solid, WR corp w/a plug in #4 who could produce like a #3.

With Alex Smith you get a QB with a very easy schedule, a good tight end and a running back who will keep the defense honest. I had him ranked as my QB15 and would gladly have a QB combo of Manning/Smith all season long. May not use Smith, but in case of injury Smith's schedule and ability I think will serve me well.

I could have taken Vick here so 10th round for either is a great pick. Sure is pickin' up on Sunday night, we may actually finish tomorrow!

I like Smith as well, and if Vick didn't fall in my lap I would have jumped all over him here in the 10th.

See that is where we differ completely. Why in the heck woudl you have been platooning Vick last season?? If you woudl have simply stopped trying to out think yourself and rode Vick, you woudl have been very heppy till the end of the year. This is why you don't sit your studs, you end up out thinking yourself and then you get frustrated with players you shouldn't get frustrated with. Instead of being frustrated with Vick ,maybe you should be frustrated with your decisuion to make this game more difficult then it is :cheers:

well to be fair, now that i think about it, that was in a league where all TDs were worth 6, and passing yards weighted 20 instead of 25, so that hurt vicks value some. but really, vick just wasnt someone i could count on. this was the same point i was making about brian westbrook a long while back, because i had both of these guys in the same league. about every 3 weeks i would put up like 200 points and absolutely destroy people, and then about every 3 weeks i would put up like 60 and get clobbered. both of them were way too hit or miss to be a consistent winner. i ended up leading the league in points but finishing like 7-7. the more years i play, the more i find consistency to be the most important factor for QBs in fantasy football with their high number of points scored each week. and yes, i understand that thats why peyton is so valuable in the end.

Kennison

Thoughts on pick?Bomb...wasn't sure if that comment was you liked the pick or not.

Coming off down year, but entire pass offense took step back b/c of LJ/Chiefs running so much.

Again, at worst think I break even with 750-800/3-4...at best could bounce back to his 1100/6 days.

Considered another WR here, we'll see where he goes.

Think I solidified my boring, yet solid, WR corp w/a plug in #4 who could produce like a #3.

dont really like or dislike the pick. kennison is one of a handful of older vets on the wrong side of their career who look like they are headed to 800/5 seasons. i considered him and a couple of others but there seems to be so limited upside, the upside being a good WR3, that i looked elsewhere. that being said, there are a few mock teams right now who have very shaky WR situation imo, and grabbing one of these sure handed guys who will get 50 yards a week will be a nice pickup to stablize their situations as a solid WR4.

alex smith was a solid pick. i had him on a short list of QBs but didnt think him a ton better than a few options i can get later, plus didnt like his schedule matchup with leinart's. solid pick in the 10th, though i question taking a second QB at all with peyton as a starter.

well to be fair, now that i think about it, that was in a league where all TDs were worth 6, and passing yards weighted 20 instead of 25, so that hurt vicks value some. but really, vick just wasnt someone i could count on. this was the same point i was making about brian westbrook a long while back, because i had both of these guys in the same league. about every 3 weeks i would put up like 200 points and absolutely destroy people, and then about every 3 weeks i would put up like 60 and get clobbered. both of them were way too hit or miss to be a consistent winner. i ended up leading the league in points but finishing like 7-7. the more years i play, the more i find consistency to be the most important factor for QBs in fantasy football with their high number of points scored each week. and yes, i understand that thats why peyton is so valuable in the end.

Well 6 pts a TD is obviosuly goign to affect a QB like Vick, but this Mock is based on 4 pts a TD. With that, I don't consider him inconsistent, and in fact if past perfomance is any indication he will be one of the best performers. I'll gladly take that in the 10th round ;)

Well 6 pts a TD is obviosuly goign to affect a QB like Vick, but this Mock is based on 4 pts a TD. With that, I don't consider him inconsistent, and in fact if past perfomance is any indication he will be one of the best performers. I'll gladly take that in the 10th round ;)

i dont necessarily agree that past performance shows vick to be one of the best performers, and i still dont think vick will be very valuable this year if he even plays that much. that being said, you have sold me on him at least being a 10th round pick. we're grasping at straws here anyways, you needed another QB anyway, and the upside for starter or trade potential is undeniable. its not a pick i wouldve made because i dont see him being close to any of that this season -- i in fact think the falcons will be one of the worst 5 teams in the league, and im a homer -- but the pick makes enough sense.

I like the Smith pick, but not really high on Kennison. I have to admit though that I really didn't go back and check how he and Huard did as compared to he and Green.

I like the 10th round pick of Devery. There should be a few huge games in there, if you have him in. A fine #3 this year.

*****************************************************************************************

--------------Going into a meeting for a 1/2 hour. Will be out at 8:30-------------------------------

*****************************************************************************************

i have to disagree about devery being a good pickup. he had three great games last year -- 2 while colston was injured -- and other than that he had 300 yards receiving with 2 TDs in all the rest of the season. so unless colston gets injured AND meachem stays injured / a non-factor, i dont see him being worth much. sure you could play him all season and take his 0-3 every week and then have the one 25 point week where you'll probably win the game, but he sure is killing your team the rest of the season.

mason is another kennison lookalike. older vet, 800/4-5 sort of guy, nice fallback WR to grab at this point if you dont have a lot of depth. i am very surprised that some of these safe options have fallen so far, might have affected my draft strategy some. theyre not great options, but good fallback backup sorta guys at this point imo.

Back from the meeting, now headed to the dentist. My phone # is in the contact thread. I might not be able to answer it at that time but will repond shortly after called.

i have to disagree about devery being a good pickup. he had three great games last year -- 2 while colston was injured -- and other than that he had 300 yards receiving with 2 TDs in all the rest of the season. so unless colston gets injured AND meachem stays injured / a non-factor, i dont see him being worth much. sure you could play him all season and take his 0-3 every week and then have the one 25 point week where you'll probably win the game, but he sure is killing your team the rest of the season.

He had 3 great games when he was the #2 WR - with no Joe Horn, he is now the #2 WR.

He had 3 great games when he was the #2 WR - with no Joe Horn, he is now the #2 WR.

true, i did forget about mr horn. im not convinced that hes automatically the #2 though, or even if he is, that having a WR on your team who is good one sunday each month is very helpful. no way to predict what week he might catch a long pass imo.

At what point do we make a pick for Shane?

I e-mailed him an hour ago and he indicated yesterday he would be around. hm.................

Sorry guys, last night was my best friend's 21st birthday and I had a little too much fun...

youch my head :blink:

I gotta go to lunch. I'll e-mail my picks to Vikings4Ever since he's up.

Guys the wait has just been too long today, I can tell it's not gonna get to me anytime soon - I'm just gonna make it easy and say go ahead and pick the rest of my players for me.

Dentsit from 9:00 till Now. I had no way to post. I wish someone would have called.

provide a # and maybe you'll get a call :banana:

i am still waiting for you to call me back from last summer anyway-lol B)

provide a # and maybe you'll get a call :banana:

i am still waiting for you to call me back from last summer anyway-lol :blink:

My # has been posted here twice...........once in the contact thread where I told you all to go. I called you twice last year and twice this year, but you don't answer your phone :dunno: or return calls

I'm glad it was only a 25 min wait, according to the post times. When I saw that he had picked at 10:30, I thought that I had held it up 1 and 1/2 hours.

I love the Brandon Jackson pick at this point in the draft.

I love the Brandon Jackson pick at this point in the draft.

I'm surprised he lasted this long. It's not often you get a RB that's in a fierce competition for a starting job this late in the draft.

I'm surprised he lasted this long. It's not often you get a RB that's in a fierce competition for a starting job this late in the draft.

Had I not had four backs and a back up qb need, I would have taken him. Had he dropped to the 11th I would have grabbed him there.

I was happy to grab Jake in the 10th. Most of us still have Steve Smith in the top 3 of wideouts, so that alone translates into fine Qb. #2 material.

Had I not had four backs and a back up qb need, I would have taken him. Had he dropped to the 11th I would have grabbed him there.

I was happy to grab Jake in the 10th. Most of us still have Steve Smith in the top 3 of wideouts, so that alone translates into fine Qb. #2 material.

Also, YGM about the IBL. :banana:

Danzone...Welcome to the DARKSIDE!!! :sleep:

I've been on record that I actually preferred that we went after Quinn, but now that JR is a Raider, hoping I'm wrong.

Not sure what to expect so not sure if this is about right for him...off hand I would think he would be available later in real drafts?

Danzone...Welcome to the DARKSIDE!!! :dunno:

I've been on record that I actually preferred that we went after Quinn, but now that JR is a Raider, hoping I'm wrong.

Not sure what to expect so not sure if this is about right for him...off hand I would think he would be available later in real drafts?

Are we missing something here? I don't see the pick :dunno:

really like the brandon jackson and jake delhomme picks.

jackson was the top RB i had available and i wouldve taken him if droughns was gone at my 10th round pick. i dont care for jackson as a player, but his opportunity is undeniable.

i was really surprised to see delhomme last so long. until this year people have always drafted him as one of those late 7th / 8th round sleeper starter picks. i always disagreed, but even so he has always been at least really good backup material. hes another guy i wouldve taken in the 10th but he didnt mesh well with my other QB as far as scheduling goes. great pickup this late, esp with jamarcus russell just one pick later.

Just so he doesn't get stuck on the wrong list, Brandon Marshall is a WR, not a RB.......

Guys the wait has just been too long today, I can tell it's not gonna get to me anytime soon - I'm just gonna make it easy and say go ahead and pick the rest of my players for me.

Should we?? :(