Sign in to follow this  
kpmurphy

#7 - worst pick in draft

I'm drafting #7 in a 12 team redraft and I think it is the worst spot in the draft. In my thinking there is a solid 1-6 picks, then 7-12 aren't much different and you get a lesser pick on the turn around.

LT2

SJax

LJ

Gore

Addai

SJ

I am figuring FWP because I don't trust Westbrook's health. Anyone better at #7 than FWP?

If you want consistency, take Rudi and don't look back. He's gold at that draft range. FWp is another consistent performer, which if you prefer him over Rudi, is just as good.

If you want some flash, take your choice of Westy, Maroney, McGahee, Henry, Bush etc etc.... and hope they live up to hype.... which I would bet at least 3 of those 5 will, and they will be very much worth that #7 pick.

And don't think #7 is that bad, you get to pick before those "sure thing" picks in the 2nd round, you'll have your pick from at least 4 of the top 8 WR's, Palmer as QB, or a good choice from a nice top half of RB's like MJD, Portis, Edge, Benson etc etc etc.

I was thinking about taking a chance on Henry and then going WR, RB, WR. Think Henry finishes in the top 10?

B. Westbrook and W. Parker are both proven and in their prime. Westbrook is a huge part of his team and Fast Willie Parker put up huge numbers just last year. Both have big play potential. I think 7 is a great spot to pick this year and your 2nd round choice will be good and 3rd round still can grab a top WR or Palmer and then at 4.05 you can get a top skill position player too.

There is no worst position in this years draft! Take FWP, Westy, Addai, come back around and take a stud WR, then come back in the 3rd with your choice of a RBBC guy or take two good rb's with your 1 and 2. Talk about as even as you get no matter where you are drafting from this year. Study hard, and hopefully your picks pan out.

I don't like Westbrook because of the injury factor. I like FWP or Henry at 1.07, then a top WR. How consistent per game was FWP? I talked to someone who had him last year and there was a definite feast or famine factor with him.

I don't understand why FWP doesn't get any love. He had 4 more TDs and 300 more yards rushing than Rudi last year (though I like Rudi). People wondered if he could carry the load after Bettis left.

Well, what else do you want the guy to prove? He's going to get the carries (no danger of RBBC), Pittsburgh is going to still play ball control and run, he can score on any play.

How in the world is taking FWP at 1.7 the worst pick in the draft? And why would anyone take a risk on Henry, when he's had injury problems and is running behind a retooled line?

:blink:

Good points on FWP versus Henry. 1.07 is the worst pick in the draft because I am a bit of a baby and I like picking at the top or bottom of the order. Don't know why, just more comfortable there.

Number 8.

1st and 2nd round picks are roughly equal, but I see a big drop off between 3.07 and 3.08. Top RBs are gone (Benson and Thomas Jones at the end), top WRs gone (Fitzgerald, Boldin and Roy Williams at the end), top 2 QBs and the top TE gone.

At that point, you're looking at a Javon Walker, Deuce McCallister, or one of half a dozen QBs.

It amazes me...people are still hung up on Denver RB's. They think they are going to somehow get a Terrell Davis again. Give it up already...Henry isn't even on my draft board until round 3 or 4. You'd spend a 1st round pick on a guy you think may do well? That's crazy...your first rounder should be a solid, consistent above average point scorer. Take a chance with your 2nd or 3rd rounder (I wouldn't even do that) but not your first. If it's 6 point passing TD's, Manning is probably the safest and smartest pick. However, I'll be honest and say that I wouldn't draft a QB in the first couple of rounds.

If it's PPR, my choice is Westy...no question. He's the focal point of that offense, gets 5 catches per game, can break a long TD at anytime....etc. And who cares about injuries. ANY player can get injured at ANY time...don't base your decision on the possibility he may get injured.

True, anyone can get injured but Westbrook always get injured. Has he ever completed a season? I figure FWP, Top WR, then grab someone like Deuce in the 3rd. Grab 2 more WR and see if Kitna is still around.

True, anyone can get injured but Westbrook always get injured. Has he ever completed a season? I figure FWP, Top WR, then grab someone like Deuce in the 3rd. Grab 2 more WR and see if Kitna is still around.

Last year Westbrook missed one game, but he did complete the season. I was very happy w/ what I got from him last year, "Top 5 rb #s". In a PPR this year, he's a no brainer #7.

My only worry about FWP is the fact that his numbers may be somewhat skewed b/c he would piece together some PHENOMENAL weeks (Vs. NO and Vs. Cle), but would balance it out by laying the occasional egg. Another thing was the fact that he only managed to break 100 yds twice on the road last season. Outside of the divisional matchups, his road schedule this season includes teams like Denver, NYJ, and NE. Add in the Najeh/Barlow factor, and I think Westbrook is the safer pick. The only real cloud over Westbrook is the potential injury bug, which scares plenty of people away, but come on...Westy was hurt only what, like 2 games last season. Same goes for the past couple seasons. He is the primary target in that offense and can consistently piece together over 100 yds and a score or two each week between his rushing and receiving output.

Interesting no one is talking about Ronnie Brown!

He will be the LT Lite of the east coast! With Cam calling the plays I see more catches and more touches, plus he torched Chicago at the end of last season and he's ready to roll!

But also, if this is a PPR league than is Westbrook or Bush in a landslide!

My only worry about FWP is the fact that his numbers may be somewhat skewed b/c he would piece together some PHENOMENAL weeks (Vs. NO and Vs. Cle), but would balance it out by laying the occasional egg. Another thing was the fact that he only managed to break 100 yds twice on the road last season. Outside of the divisional matchups, his road schedule this season includes teams like Denver, NYJ, and NE. Add in the Najeh/Barlow factor, and I think Westbrook is the safer pick. The only real cloud over Westbrook is the potential injury bug, which scares plenty of people away, but come on...Westy was hurt only what, like 2 games last season. Same goes for the past couple seasons. He is the primary target in that offense and can consistently piece together over 100 yds and a score or two each week between his rushing and receiving output.

I really don't think anyone should be worried about Davenport (who was there last year) or Barlow (who sucks) taking away allot of FWP's carries. If anything I think he could do better this year, as I've heard that they want to open up the passing game a bit more and pass more to FWP.

As for Westbrook, I'd be worried about Tony Hunt taking his short-yardage and GL carries to keep Westy fresh.

One minor observation for the FWP fans. This year, one of his games against Balt. is in week 17, a week after most of us have our bowl games. Balt. shut him down last year, but this year, for fantasy purposes, he only has to face them once.

I'm drafting #7 in a 12 team redraft and I think it is the worst spot in the draft. In my thinking there is a solid 1-6 picks, then 7-12 aren't much different and you get a lesser pick on the turn around.

LT2

SJax

LJ

Gore

Addai

SJ

I am figuring FWP because I don't trust Westbrook's health. Anyone better at #7 than FWP?

Well look at it this way, if you think those 6 are so much better than the rest of the pack, #7 is a good spot to be in to snag one of them should another owner ahead of you feel a guy like Westy, Henry, Maroney, Rudi or Fast Willie is the player for them.

One minor observation for the FWP fans. This year, one of his games against Balt. is in week 17, a week after most of us have our bowl games. Balt. shut him down last year, but this year, for fantasy purposes, he only has to face them once.

Very interesting take, thanks for the info. :wave:

Westbrook or Bush if you are a gambler. If you want a safer pick then take Peyton or Rudi.

I would take Westbrook all day.

I have the 7th pick in our 12 teamer. This is a non-ppr league. Right now it is between Westbrook and FWP. I am leaning Westbrook because he was a little more consistent last year week to week.

Another slight factor is schedule for our playoffs weeks 14-16.

Westbrook plays NYG/DAL/NO.

Last year he had 261 total yards and 3 td’s vs the Giants in 2 games. He had 214 total yards and 1 td vs the Cowboy’s in 2 games. He had 75 total yards vs. the Saints and no TD’s.

FWP play NE/JAX/STL

Last year he only played against the Jags and had 26 total yards and no td’s. NE/JAX both have tough defenses and STL has improved.

I don't understand why FWP doesn't get any love. He had 4 more TDs and 300 more yards rushing than Rudi last year (though I like Rudi). People wondered if he could carry the load after Bettis left.

Well, what else do you want the guy to prove? He's going to get the carries (no danger of RBBC), Pittsburgh is going to still play ball control and run, he can score on any play.

How in the world is taking FWP at 1.7 the worst pick in the draft? And why would anyone take a risk on Henry, when he's had injury problems and is running behind a retooled line?

:rolleyes:

I feel the same.

:headbanger:

7th pick isn't bad.....I think after LT and Jackson, its a toss up.

Actually I have done several mocks from 7 and find it to be a good position for overall team strength. Maybe in the first round it leaves some indecision but overall it’s good. Assuming you are smart enough to end up with a SA, Westbrook, FWP, Rudi or Maroney with that first pick and not jump on Manning early you will end up with a top 15or 16 RB as your RB#2 pick at 18 as most drafts have manning and 1-2 WR going before your second pick. Taking a second RB will push the value at WR down to the earlier picks which means you will get a top 23 RB as your #3RB or a top 6 WR as your #1 receiver or Palmer (don’t hold your breath) as your QB at 31.

So basically you end up with say Alexander, R. Brown and B. Jacobs as your base. That’s a pretty solid first 3 picks, then follow with WR in 4 and 5, like Lee Evans and S Moss, in the 6th a QB like Hasselbeck and this team is a competitor. I generally dont draft a QB until 9 and grab a Romo or E. Manning but thats just me.

So I am unclear why you think 7 sucks?

Ive done several mock drafts from #7 as well for a 12 man. Ive taken different approaches and all ended up with decent teams. For my league I like the RB, RB, RB approach. You should be able to pick up 3 starters who will get their carries. If you dont like Jones in the 2nd round then Benson should also be there. I consistently nabbed Driver in the 4th, if it turned out differently then I would reevaluate going RB, RB, WR. But, he was there almost always. I like Young in the 7th and I got him there every time. He would have most likely slip to 8 or 9, but due to the scoring in my money league I rate him a bit higher (6pts for rushing TD's with extra points for distance of TD's). I picked Leinart at 10 cause, well it just looks cool. Plus, all the talent at WR and Levi Brown now protecting him. ANYWAY.....

Here is one draft:

RB: Westy (1), Thomas Jones (2), Brandon Jacobs (3)

WR: Donald Driver (4), Reggie Brown (5), Mark Clayton (6)

TE: Alge Crumpler (8)

QB: Vince Young (7) Matt Leinart (10)

This is why you are wrong, one of your top 6 will drop to you. I have never been in a league where all 12 owners had the same top 6. If you do, you all buy the same magazine and are very average FF owners.

These are my current top 6:

Tomlinson, LaDainian RB SD

Jackson, Steven RB STL

Johnson, Larry RB KC

Henry, Travis RB TEN

Addai, Joseph RB IND

Gore, Frank RB SF

Cough... :shocking: there is so much wrong with this I dont even know where to begin... :music_guitarred:

That is the point of my reply, if everyone agreed FF would be boring. I like Henry and you don't, at the end of the year we will see who is correct.

This is why you are wrong, one of your top 6 will drop to you. I have never been in a league where all 12 owners had the same top 6. If you do, you all buy the same magazine and are very average FF owners.

These are my current top 6:

Tomlinson, LaDainian RB SD

Jackson, Steven RB STL

Johnson, Larry RB KC

Henry, Travis RB TEN

Addai, Joseph RB IND

Gore, Frank RB SF

ummm... dude, you might want to check your mags and see when you bought them. :shocking:

It is great you like Henry, but he is with Denver now, not Tenn.

Last year Westbrook missed one game, but he did complete the season. I was very happy w/ what I got from him last year, "Top 5 rb #s". In a PPR this year, he's a no brainer #7.

I agree completely. I don't understand the Westbrook is always injured statement that everyone always makes. He has been the feature back for the last 2 years, and he has missed only one game each year. In the 15 games he did play he has averaged a total of 1900 yards, 10.5 TD's, 75 receptions. In a PPR league how do you not take this guy at #7? His numbers are going to be better than FWP, Rudi, Henry or anyone else in this group, as they have been the last two years.

LT2

SJax

LJ

Gore

Addai

SJ

Did someone draft Steven Jackson twice?

ALEXANDER.

Agreed.. if SA slips to 7 how do you not take him?

SA is the only player in NFL history to record 15 or more touchdowns five consecutive seasons and is one of only two players (LT) to record 10 or more rushing touchdowns in five consecutive seasons. Oh he got hurt last year? That's the first and only time he has been hurt in 7 seasons. He is back, and should be strong. He is 30? Remember he didn't have to many touches last year so he is fresh, and technically he is 29. :shocking:

The only no-brainer at 7 is if SA slips to there.

:blink:

Here is why FWP is not the ideal candidate for a first round pick. The first number is the number of carries for the game, the second is for the yardage and the third is touchdowns: 11-20-0, 20-47-0, 10-22-0, 22-61-0, 13-29-0. For five games during the season, FWP screwed you. The 13-29-0 was in week 16, the Superbowl. I you started FWP your season went down the toilet bowl.

Here is why FWP is not the ideal candidate for a first round pick. The first number is the number of carries for the game, the second is for the yardage and the third is touchdowns: 11-20-0, 20-47-0, 10-22-0, 22-61-0, 13-29-0. For five games during the season, FWP screwed you. The 13-29-0 was in week 16, the Superbowl. I you started FWP your season went down the toilet bowl.

:thumbsup:

Rudi is remarkably consistent. He's the closest you'll get to a sure thing between LT2 and Peyton.

It's often said that a 1st round pick won't win a league for you, but can sure as hell lose a league for you. Rudi won't make you lose your league, but can help you win if you hit on some later picks.

I'm not sure who SJ is (I'm guessing you meant SA). But if Alexander is on the board I would be THRILLED to get him at 7. People seem to forget about him scoring 15 TDs in 5 straight years before last year's injury plagued season. I think he'll easily get back to 1500 yards and 15-20 TDs.

If he is indeed gone then Westbrook is your pick in PPR and Parker if it's not PPR.

I think you've got plenty of great options!

Ya its tough but I think in a PPR league you can play it right. Go RB, WR, WR, RB. Especially if they guys pickin behind u went RB RB in the first 2 rounds.