Sign in to follow this  
dream_team

The most undervalued RB?

As I'm doing my research & reading all of the "expert" magazines, I have no idea why Ahman Green is consistently rated so low!? I'm not saying he's a top-tier back... but at the end of the 2nd round, that's when I'll start to put him in the picture.

The three knocks against him are:

1) His age.

2) His durability.

And the biggest of the three...

3) He plays for the Texans.

Ok, I admit durability is an issue... but I believe that is the ONLY reason he shouldn't be top-tier. And his age? He's only 30! Same age as Shaun Alexander. He's not young, probably not good for keeper leagues, but not a reason to stay away from this season.

The biggest myth of them all, though, is that he plays for the Texans. Sure, their O-line isn't great, and the passing game is mediocre. But keep in mind, this is the same team that made Domanick Davis (Williams) a fantasy stud! It had people know the name Wali Lundy. It got people to do the unthinkable last year, pick-up Ron Dayne from free agency. Ahman Green is clearly the most talented back they ever had in their short history, and Texans backs have historically produced, so it's hard for me to see Ahman Green doing anything less?

Does this make sense? Or am I blinded by my Texans loyalty? (yes, I'm a Texans fan)

Ok, I admit durability is an issue... but I believe that is the ONLY reason he shouldn't be top-tier. He's only 30!

The biggest myth of them all, though, is that he plays for the Texans. Sure, their O-line isn't great, and the passing game is mediocre. But keep in mind, this is the same team that made Domanick Davis (Williams) a fantasy stud!

am I blinded by my Texans loyalty?

:dunno:

As I'm doing my research & reading all of the "expert" magazines, I have no idea why Ahman Green is consistently rated so low!? I'm not saying he's a top-tier back... but at the end of the 2nd round, that's when I'll start to put him in the picture.

1) His age.

2) His durability.

Ok, I admit durability is an issue... but I believe that is the ONLY reason he shouldn't be top-tier. And his age? He's only 30! Same age as Shaun Alexander. He's not young, probably not good for keeper leagues, but not a reason to stay away from this season.

The biggest myth of them all, though, is that he plays for the Texans. Sure, their O-line isn't great, and the passing game is mediocre. But keep in mind, this is the same team that made Domanick Davis (Williams) a fantasy stud! It had people know the name Wali Lundy. It got people to do the unthinkable last year, pick-up Ron Dayne from free agency. Ahman Green is clearly the most talented back they ever had in their short history, and Texans backs have historically produced, so it's hard for me to see Ahman Green doing anything less?

Does this make sense? Or am I blinded by my Texans loyalty? (yes, I'm a Texans fan)

shhhh, think Deuce from last season.....you can get him late, let's keep it that way

i think a knock you left off that list is that he's going to lose carries to Ron Dayne, and most of those he loses will be goalline carries.

Dayne may not be the Bus, but he performed well when asked last year, and won't be completely removed from the gameplan. I would be highly impressed to see Ahman score more than 5-6 TDs this season, and i don't see him putting up 1400+ total yds to compensate for the lack of TDs.

i think a knock you left off that list is that he's going to lose carries to Ron Dayne, and most of those he loses will be goalline carries.

Dayne may not be the Bus, but he performed well when asked last year, and won't be completely removed from the gameplan. I would be highly impressed to see Ahman score more than 5-6 TDs this season, and i don't see him putting up 1400+ total yds to compensate for the lack of TDs.

If I remember correctly, Houston had a cake schedule when Dayne ran wild (he won my superbowl at that). But this goes with the overall point, Houston seems to have successful RB stats no matter who is in there. Dayne has never been consistent enough throughout the year to continue getting playing time. I think he makes a great number 3 RB and a super #3 RB in ppr leagues

Dayne may not be the Bus, but he performed well when asked last year,

Now. Can you imagine what a real running back will do if Dayne can look halfway presentable?

He's still a decent RB, but his best days are behind him. It's not chronological age so much as amout of wear and tear on the body, and he's had quite a bit. Combine that with him playing for a bad team that's going to be playing from behind a lot and it's not too attractive.

That said, he's probably going to be one of the few RBs who still carries close to a full load for his team. I think his limited upside makes him not (for lack of a better term) a very "sexy" pick. He's kind of the Terry Glenn of RBs. He's a nice source of production when healthy, but most people would rather take a chance on a younger player with upside. So he has some sleeper value.

I wouldn't take him in the 2nd or 3rd round, though. I think he's falling farther than that, typically.

If I remember correctly, Dayne has never been as good a goalline back as his body size would indicate. I could be wrong. :pointstosky:

I wouldn't take him in the 2nd or 3rd round, though. I think he's falling farther than that, typically.

4th-5th round in the IBL

Value wise, some of the later round RBs will actually give you the biggest bang fer yer buck:

6.06 J Jones

6.07 T Bell

7.03 C Taylor

7.09 L Jordan

7.12 F Taylor

9.02 W Dunn

9.04 D Foster

9.11 C Brown

10.02 V Morency

At least with Taylor and Foster, ya kinda know what your getting... and to some extent Dunn. The rest have question marks along with higher upside.

I like Green too, but I won't start thinking about drafting him until the 4th. He's a good value back, especially as a lowend #2, high #3. In one of the mocks I've done, I paired him with SJax and Edge and would be very happy with that in any money league. As a #2 though, I'd feel less optimistic.

in GB ahman was a solid goal line guy. he's 6 foot 220 pounds and he's got good hands. the guy has shown he can bully it in the endzone, jump over the pile, outrun to the sidelines, and catch in the endzone when near the goal line. he has more to offer than dayne at the goal line.

I love ahman this year. I'm consitantly getting him as my 3rd rb and loving every second of it.

Value wise, some of the later round RBs will actually give you the biggest bang fer yer buck:

7.09 L Jordan

7.12 F Taylor

9.02 W Dunn

9.04 D Foster

9.11 C Brown

10.02 V Morency

At least with Taylor and Foster, ya kinda know what your getting... and to some extent Dunn. The rest have question marks along with higher upside.

I agree with you, and I'd add Chester to the mix as well. Everyone is fixated on AD, but the Vikes will have to rely on both backs to move the ball. The offense will be hard to watch, but it was last year too. I say Taylor gains less on the ground, more in the air, and td's stay about the same.

I can't believe how late Dunn goes! He's usually around the 40th rb taken. Did I miss something, is he still the starter in Atlanta or did Norwood pass him?! Helk, if Norwood did pass him then Norwood should be going top 20 at least, but he goes around 30.

Strange!

I can't believe how late Dunn goes! He's usually around the 40th rb taken. Did I miss something, is he still the starter in Atlanta or did Norwood pass him?! Helk, if Norwood did pass him then Norwood should be going top 20 at least, but he goes around 30.

Strange!

He had back surgery that is still healing, and they don't know if he will be ready at the start of the season. Also they say Norwood has looked pretty good in camp...especially catching the ball out of the backfield

He had back surgery that is still healing, and they don't know if he will be ready at the start of the season. Also they say Norwood has looked pretty good in camp...especially catching the ball out of the backfield

back surgery... :overhead:

I thought I'd heard somewhere that Dunn would probably miss the first 4-6 games. Even if he does come back early, you gotta think there's a changing of the gaurd about to happen. At 32, Dunn isn't the same player he was and this definatley isn't the same team it once was.

I like these guys for there draft position.

Ahman

Taylor...Freddy that is

Dunn

L.White ( I think he will suprise many)

Let's see how it plays out.

I agree with you, and I'd add Chester to the mix as well.

Agreed. Edit to add:

6.06 J Jones

6.07 T Bell

7.03 C Taylor

I especially like Chester's value. Peterson is highly paid, but he's also inexperienced and some say injury prone. Not to mention a lot of teams are adopting the 2 RB system and Chester is the better reciever.

Ahman is pretty better for leagues that give points for receptions and receiving yardage but if Kubiak winds up using his running backs like his mentor Mike Shanahan then I wouldn't touch a Houston RB until 5 round or beyond.

That being said I think that Cedric Benson should be rated a top ten back as there is nobody left to contend with him in Chicago anymore. Also, I saw Laurence Maroney rated as the #2 RB OVERALL(!) on the Scout fantasy football website which is just insane.

The two backs that will finish in the top ten that nobody else is talking about are Adrian Peterson & DeAngelo Williams. These guys are young, fast, powerful and run behind excellent offensive lines.

Ahman is pretty better for leagues that give points for receptions and receiving yardage but if Kubiak winds up using his running backs like his mentor Mike Shanahan then I wouldn't touch a Houston RB until 5 round or beyond.

That being said I think that Cedric Benson should be rated a top ten back as there is nobody left to contend with him in Chicago anymore. Also, I saw Laurence Maroney rated as the #2 RB OVERALL(!) on the Scout fantasy football website which is just insane.

The two backs that will finish in the top ten that nobody else is talking about are Adrian Peterson & DeAngelo Williams. These guys are young, fast, powerful and run behind excellent offensive lines.

I agree that Benson has the potential to be top 10, but I can't see that guy being the workhorse. He's been dinged up his first two seasons and has had rifts between himself and other players. I think a lot of this has been rectified, but I still wouldn't touch him before the end of the 2nd, early third....which is right where he's going now.

AD and DWill won't be top ten backs. AD shares carries with Taylor and will not get more than 15-20 touches per game. I like DWill a lot, but Foster will steal carries, and the Panthers haven't had a good running game the past few years.

1) His age.

2) His durability.

This isn't the same coaching staff, nor system that produced Domanick Davis. Kubiak runs the Denver system I believe, which should get you less passes out of the backfield, but more yardage. Although, the cutback blocking does play to Ahman's strengths as a runner, as it is a one cut and go system, it will open him up to more punishment running up the middle, which is not necessarily a good thing for him. Ahman would have been a perfect fit for the old system, however... lots of swing passes and screens.

Carolina's OL stunk last year, and I don't know that they did that much to improve it.

Since 2000, Green has played at least 14 games every year (except 2005 when he was injured). He has had his dings like any other RB so I think his durability issues are a little overblown. In additon, he has had over 300 carries in a season only once (03 when he was the #1 RB), and actually has 200 fewer carries and 50 fewer receptions than Tomlinson in his career. So, it's not like he has been run into the ground. He usually finishes between the 10-15 best RB (#1 in 03, hurt in 05, #14 last year in a PPR league). I don't see him slipping out of the top 24, so yeah, I would consider him a good value at his draft spot.

Dayne is a slug and won't affect Green's production much. Who would you rather have at the goal line?

For starters the Panthers are going to a zone blocking system which should help their undersized linemen quite a bit. Then the drafted Kalil to play the center spot which should be an upgrade especially in zone and they are getting Wharton back at left tackle so Jordan Gross can go back to playing right. DeAngelo is a better cut back runner which is perfect for the zone blocking scheme. Foster has had his chances and dribbled it down his leg. Just my opinion anyways...

If I remember correctly, Dayne has never been as good a goalline back as his body size would indicate. I could be wrong. :cry:

Dayne had 5 TDs in 11 games last year, the longest of which was a 10 yder... so he didn't do too bad... but he's not a true short yardage pounder like many thought he should be.

Carolina's OL stunk last year, and I don't know that they did that much to improve it.

CAR had 80 starter missed games last year (second only to CLEs 83), many of them coming from OL starters getting hurt as early as week 1.

Not only are the starters healthy this year, they also drafted Ryan Kalil (C, USC), they also brought in 3 Ts and 2 Gs as FAs in the offseason... so not only should the starting OL be better than last year, it should also be deeper.

Add that to going to the zone blocking system (what Kalil ran at USC, btw) that should be better suited to their "smaller" OL, and there should be a DRASTIC improvement in OL play.

i wouldn't be surprised to see the OL go:

LT Wharton (injured last year)

LG Wahle

C Kalil (rookie from USC)

RG Hartwig

RT Gross (forced to play LT last year out of position)

HTH.

Carnell Williams RB TBB 3.12

LaMont Jordan RB OAK 6.12

DeShaun Foster RB CAR 9.04

Lendale White RB TEN 9.11

I HATE deshaun, but he is the starter...

DD played for a different playcaller behind a different run blocking scheme, so arguing that Green should do well because DD did, doesnt work.

Carnell Williams RB TBB 3.12

LaMont Jordan RB OAK 6.12

DeShaun Foster RB CAR 9.04

Lendale White RB TEN 9.11

I HATE deshaun, but he is the starter...

its no secret i've been pimping Foster (who i formerly referred to as Fester) for a few months now. This is the first year i've drafted him in any league, and i fully expect it to be his best. It'll be no surprise to me to see him finally break the 1,000 yd mark (he has avg'd 4.1 ypc in his career, so he'll need around 250 carries). The last two years he's put up good total yardage numbers (~1100 - 1200 each year), but what keeps him from being a legitimate #2/3 FF RB is completely his lack of TD production. Two years ago he was competing against SDavis (while he was healthy) for TDs, last year the entire CAR offense was horrendous, especially in the redzone. So i also wouldn't be surprised to see him TD numbers increase even modestly, putting him to around a minimum of 6 total (which would be twice his total from last season). Not great numbers, but 1300/6 would make him a low-end #2, and a respectable #3 RB in most formats. Not bad for a 9th round value.

Dayne had 5 TDs in 11 games last year, the longest of which was a 10 yder... so he didn't do too bad... but he's not a true short yardage pounder like many thought he should be.

CAR had 80 starter missed games last year (second only to CLEs 83), many of them coming from OL starters getting hurt as early as week 1.

Not only are the starters healthy this year, they also drafted Ryan Kalil (C, USC), they also brought in 3 Ts and 2 Gs as FAs in the offseason... so not only should the starting OL be better than last year, it should also be deeper.

Add that to going to the zone blocking system (what Kalil ran at USC, btw) that should be better suited to their "smaller" OL, and there should be a DRASTIC improvement in OL play.

HTH.

Hey b,

Don't get your panties all in a bunch there. I'm simply stating that you can't assume that the Panthers have an "excellent offensive line". While they may very well have made improvements, I don't deny that, it's hard to tell what will work and what won't. But, the poster made an assertion that DWill had and excellent O-line, and I don't think that you can assume that.

The HTH wasn't necessary thanks, but good luck this year anyway.

Hey b,

Don't get your panties all in a bunch there. I'm simply stating that you can't assume that the Panthers have an "excellent offensive line". While they may very well have made improvements, I don't deny that, it's hard to tell what will work and what won't. But, the poster made an assertion that DWill had and excellent O-line, and I don't think that you can assume that.

The HTH wasn't necessary thanks, but good luck this year anyway.

seems as if you're the one w/ 'panties in a bunch'.

you stated they "stunk last year and you didn't know they did much to improve it"... i was merely trying to help out w/ the research as to what they did do to improve it... but if you want to take someone providing you w/ information as an insult, i feel pretty sorry for your level of self-esteem...

Look at his crank score.

Better yet...go to profootballreference.com...and look at each of his last 3 years. Just a very inconsistent performer.

6.06 J Jones

6.07 T Bell

7.03 C Taylor

7.09 L Jordan

7.12 F Taylor

9.02 W Dunn

9.04 D Foster

9.11 C Brown

10.02 V Morency

A Green - starting RB, proven he can score TDs.

J Jones - RBBC, splits TDs making fantasy points very inconsistent

T Bell - starting at all? RBBC?

C Taylor - RBBC, splits TDs making fantasy points very inconsistent

L Jordan - I'm actually high on Jordan to outperform his ADP, agreed.

F Taylor - RBBC, plus no TDs.

W Dunn - RBBC, hard to know whether his age starts to show.

D Foster - RBBC, and will he stay healthy?

C Brown - starting at all? RBBC?

V Morency - never proven he can run... and now he's injured. At best, RBBC.

I'm seeing a lot of value in Green. He was superb for a number of season in Green Bay, and still has a lot of those skills.

seems as if you're the one w/ 'panties in a bunch'.

you stated they "stunk last year and you didn't know they did much to improve it"... i was merely trying to help out w/ the research as to what they did do to improve it... but if you want to take someone providing you w/ information as an insult, i feel pretty sorry for your level of self-esteem...

If the HTH wasn't meant sarcastically, as it almost always is on the main "bored", then I owe you an apology. Thanks for the info. :overhead:

1) His age.

2) His durability.

Amen to that. Plus he plays in the AFC South and has 4 games against the NFC South, most teams with crappy run defenses. I'm a buyer.

L.White ( I think he will suprise many)

he wont even be the starter, that is until chris brown gets hurt. that is probably gonna happen by week 7. wait, i almost forgot...by then henry will have taken over white in the depth chart so the chances of white doing anything surprising this year is slim to none. HTH.

hope that helps. sometimes people are sincere and i belive alot of times people are just being smug when they say it.

HTH??? Would someone be a mench and clue me in to what the hell this stands for?? Thanks a bunch!

Hump The Hippo! :pointstosky: