Sign in to follow this  
nicewolf64

Benson lashes out

By Vaughn McClure

Tribune staff reporter

October 28, 2007, 11:03 PM CDT

Cedric Benson usually bites his tongue when it comes to criticism. Sunday, he couldn't help but lash out.

"I've been hearing a lot of people criticize and talk stuff," he said. "They're not watching the games or the plays. They're just throwing out criticism.

"Do I need to run with more of a burst? No. And [expletive] them. So I guess I'm getting to the hole and walking through the hole, right?"

Benson had a few strong runs Sunday but still ended with just 50 yards on 13 carries with a long run of 12 yards.

"I only got 13 carries today," Benson said. "Ten more and I probably could have got 100. "Eight more and I probably could have got 100."

Benson has been under the microscope ever since the Bears decided to keep him over Thomas Jones. He has rushed for 100 yards just once this season (101 against the Chiefs).

"This is like my rookie year, this is like my first time starting and being 'The Guy.' Nobody said it was just going to all of a sudden take off," he said. "You're not going to have these great games every game. We're struggling here. We're behind, so we can't really run the football. I know it's going to turn. I know it's going to get better for me."

Asked what he could do to improve his numbers and the Bears' running game, Benson referred to the team's offensive philosophy.

"I come out on third downs, I have two downs to do something," he said. "That's not to say we're going to run it on those two downs.

"As an offense, I don't know what we can do."

Individually, Benson said he's done enough to escape some of the scrutiny.

"I don't appreciate all that criticism coming my way," he said. "I can understand if I'm tugging the ball for 18, 20 carries and still getting 50 yards. But what am I doing that's so bad? I don't understand."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...bears-headlines

He's right. He's basically saying the offensive play calling for the Bears is predictable and he's exactly right. The OC for the Bears is completely clueless, when the Lions hold you to 7 points that is just pitiful.

"This is like my rookie year, this is like my first time starting and being 'The Guy.' Nobody said it was just going to all of a sudden take off,"

Joseph Addai feels his pain. :thumbsup:

Oh wait - No he doesn't. :overhead:

My problem with Benson is that he gets nothing more than the o-line gets him. He doesnt seem to get any yards after contact and doesn't have any moves to make the defenders miss him. You could just about put any RB back there and get the same results. And thats not what is expected out of a first rounder.

He's right. He's basically saying the offensive play calling for the Bears is predictable and he's exactly right. The OC for the Bears is completely clueless, when the Lions hold you to 7 points that is just pitiful.

the stats in the lions 2-game sweep of the bears this year: 8 sacks, 2 ff, 7 ints; lions outscored the bears 53-28; benson had 28 rushes for 100 yards even combined (which is somewhere around 3.5-ish ypc).

two facts here: 1) the lions are a superior football team to the bears this season. end of discussion on that one 2) benson is mediocre at best.

the end.

Benson is a lousy running back on a lousy team. Who the hell cares what he has to say? :pointstosky:

Benson is a lousy running back on a lousy team. Who the hell cares what he has to say? :pointstosky:

harsh. but true.

I must admit - I was a big backer of Benson's before the season started. I felt like he was going into a great situation for, as he terms it, a "rookie" RB. A run-first team with a great defence and a great O-line. I don't get to see many Bears games but from what Bears homers here have been saying, the O-line has not been playing to its capability. Others have said that Benson has no burst, no heart, no vision, etc. So who's right and who's wrong?

What I do know is that Benson's line so far this year is 136-416-2, a 3.1 yd/carry average with a long of 16 yards. These stats are reminiscent of the Pete Johnson stats of the 1980's, except that he actually scored TDs. These numbers cannot be the product of poor O-line play by itself. I think that Benson should take a long look in the mirror before he lashes out and takes his concerns to the media by selfishly blaming everybody but himself.

Not only does it appear that the Bears season is now lost, but the whole Bears situation looks like a powder keg with a ticking timer.

Benson is as clueless as they come. This is his third year in the league, and now he's talking about being a "rookie"? He's not a QB. All he has to do, in the words of Doug Buffone, is run the damn ball. Did he not see AD blast his team for 224 yards two weeks ago? That's what Bear fans expected from him.

He's never understood why the fans haven't embraced him. Okay, it's not Benson's fault that he was the the fourth pick of the entire draft. But it was his fault that he held out for more money before he even played a down, missing all of his rookie training camp and ruining any chance he had of making an immediate impact. Then, when he did get a chance to play, he proved to be, at best, a solid but unremarkable runner. But maybe he didn't get enough playing time last year to prove himself. Well, he's had enough playing time this year, and he still hasn't done anything to prove he was worth the bigger contract he held out for.

The "running out of bounce" play a few weeks back on Sunday Night Football said it all about Benson. I don't know if he has the talent or not to be great, but he clearly doesn't have the mentality or the drive.

I think it has more to do with the "system" and less to do with the "talent" of a Running Back when it comes to performance. I think you could put just about anybody in the Indy offense right now at RB and they would be fantasy stars. Addai and Keith are decent running backs, don't get me wrong, but I think if you plugged them in Benson's spot, the results would be just as bad. Similarly in KC, Priest and LJ were/are great running backs, for sure, but as soon as that great O Line and offense started to crumble, the results were immediately dissatisfactory. Even that Blaylock dude had big games in that offense when Priest and LJ were out, it was simply a great running offense. On the other hand, someone like Barry Sanders was an exceptional runner in a bad offense, his talent was imminently evident every time he touched the ball, no matter what the Lions were doing.

Basically, I think "systems" (The Line, supporting cast, Offensive play calling, even the Defense {in terms of game score and field position, etc...) can make average RB's look great, and great RB's look average, but exceptional RB's look good no matter what the situation. I think all that means is that Benson is simply not an exceptional RB...he's average at best, and his average-ness is magnified in that system...

I think it has more to do with the "system" and less to do with the "talent" of a Running Back when it comes to performance. I think you could put just about anybody in the Indy offense right now at RB and they would be fantasy stars. Addai and Keith are decent running backs, don't get me wrong, but I think if you plugged them in Benson's spot, the results would be just as bad. Similarly in KC, Priest and LJ were/are great running backs, for sure, but as soon as that great O Line and offense started to crumble, the results were immediately dissatisfactory. Even that Blaylock dude had big games in that offense when Priest and LJ were out, it was simply a great running offense. On the other hand, someone like Barry Sanders was an exceptional runner in a bad offense, his talent was imminently evident every time he touched the ball, no matter what the Lions were doing.

Basically, I think "systems" (The Line, supporting cast, Offensive play calling, even the Defense {in terms of game score and field position, etc...) can make average RB's look great, and great RB's look average, but exceptional RB's look good no matter what the situation....

The problem is, Thomas Jones did very well in this system last year. Before he came to Chicago, he was good RB but didn't seem to be anything special in Arizona and Tampa. Running in Chicago's system, however, turned him into a star.

I was watching something on NFL network or ESPN last week and they had a bunch of clips showing some of the decisions that Benson was making on the field. It looked bad - he really seems to lack vision and instinct and honestly looks like a linebacker magnet.

I was watching something on NFL network or ESPN last week and they had a bunch of clips showing some of the decisions that Benson was making on the field. It looked bad - he really seems to lack vision and instinct and honestly looks like a linebacker magnet.

I believe it! Maybe I will replace "average" with just plain ol "bad" :doublethumbsup:

It's always everybody elses fault with this guy.

In truth, he lacks the ability to make people miss and he goes down on first contact.

Joseph Addai feels his pain. ;)

Oh wait - No he doesn't. :(

You would think after watching AD run all over the Bears D, he would know better. :D

I thought about drafting him until I watched the Monday night preseason game against the Colts. He showed me how weak he is. he goes down on the first hit. For a big back he breaks no tackles. I wanted nothing to do with him. he sucks plain and simple.

By Vaughn McClure

Tribune staff reporter

October 28, 2007, 11:03 PM CDT

Cedric Benson usually bites his tongue when it comes to criticism. Sunday, he couldn't help but lash out.

"I've been hearing a lot of people criticize and talk stuff," he said. "They're not watching the games or the plays. They're just throwing out criticism.

"Do I need to run with more of a burst? No. And [expletive] them. So I guess I'm getting to the hole and walking through the hole, right?"

Benson had a few strong runs Sunday but still ended with just 50 yards on 13 carries with a long run of 12 yards.

"I only got 13 carries today," Benson said. "Ten more and I probably could have got 100. "Eight more and I probably could have got 100."

Benson has been under the microscope ever since the Bears decided to keep him over Thomas Jones. He has rushed for 100 yards just once this season (101 against the Chiefs).

"This is like my rookie year, this is like my first time starting and being 'The Guy.' Nobody said it was just going to all of a sudden take off," he said. "You're not going to have these great games every game. We're struggling here. We're behind, so we can't really run the football. I know it's going to turn. I know it's going to get better for me."

Asked what he could do to improve his numbers and the Bears' running game, Benson referred to the team's offensive philosophy.

"I come out on third downs, I have two downs to do something," he said. "That's not to say we're going to run it on those two downs.

"As an offense, I don't know what we can do."

Individually, Benson said he's done enough to escape some of the scrutiny.

"I don't appreciate all that criticism coming my way," he said. "I can understand if I'm tugging the ball for 18, 20 carries and still getting 50 yards. But what am I doing that's so bad? I don't understand."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...bears-headlines

Isn't this the same guy that held out his rookie year? After reading this it is obvious he will never amount to much in the NFL. I love these hot shots that blame everyone but themselves.

You would think after watching AD run all over the Bears D, he would know better. :D

And peterson ran all over the bears defense when he was THE ONLY threat on the field for the vikings. i mean, come on! lol...you have to stop one person and there's no one else even remotely even looking at if you're on the defense...and he still scorches you early and often.

pathetic.

The problem is, Thomas Jones did very well in this system last year. Before he came to Chicago, he was good RB but didn't seem to be anything special in Arizona and Tampa.

:D Jones sucked in Arizona and Tampa. He sucked bad.

Running in Chicago's system, however, turned him into a star.

That was the key to his success. He was just the product of a good team. Benson is horrible. If Jones can produce in Chicago, and Benson can't, Benson might be the worst back out there.

Cedric Benson is a selfish piece of trash. If he spent as much effort running with the football as he does replying to the media's criticism, he'd break a tackle here and there. Maybe.

Benson has nothing going for him. He's not fast. He doesn't run hard and break tackles. He has poor vision. He's miserable at catching passes. He can't block. The Bears offensive line isn't playing as well this year as they have the past couple years, but there are holes there to run through. It takes Benson too long to get to one.

There is no question in my mind that this would be a better football team if (the other) Adrian Peterson would be elevated to the starting RB. He does every single thing better, but the Bears front office/coaching staff is too stubborn to admit that their 2005 4th overall choice is a complete bust. Hopefully a full 2007 season of barely 3 YPC is enough to convince them that they need another RB this offseason.

Think of the harassment the bears will take if they draft yet another RB. Won't be as bad as Detroit and their WRs but getting close to the same incompetence.

Think of the harassment the bears will take if they draft yet another RB. Won't be as bad as Detroit and their WRs but getting close to the same incompetence.

They need to fire whoever heads up their offensive talent scouting. They are gold in finding defensive talent, but they can't handle the other side of the ball. Greg Olsen gives us some hope at one position, at least.

QB - Griese? Barely a short term answer, hardly a long term answer.

RB - Benson? Crap. Gone.

WR1 - Berrian? Can't hang onto the damn ball, and now Rosenhaus is his agent. Gone.

WR2 - Muhammad? He's adequate, but aging.

TE - Olsen? Looks like they finally got one right. He can be a building block for the offense.

O-Line - Fred Miller and Ruben Brown are both aging and need to be replaced next season. Tait, Kreutz, and Garza are solid.

Yup, pretty bleak on that side of the ball.

If you dont already have the other white meat Peterson on your roster, it would not be a bad pickup at this point.

Say all of the bullsh1t you want about the CHI oline, the running schemes, blah blah blah...at some point, it has to be accepted that Bensen just cant get the job done, and if you are not doing it against DET, then you are not going to get it done against anyone.

Bro, sorry, didnt know you had a thread out there way before....will delete mine. Good one.

then again, at least SOME of those wr picks worked out for the lions, unlike the ZERO rbs for the bears.

touchee.

whos cedric benson? :cheers:

rb with the chicago rush?..the same is somewhat familiar...

oh wait...is this the SAVIOR that the bears fans here were going on about?...

They need to fire whoever heads up their offensive talent scouting. They are gold in finding defensive talent, but they can't handle the other side of the ball. Greg Olsen gives us some hope at one position, at least.

RB - Benson? Crap. Gone.

WR1 - Berrian? Can't hang onto the damn ball, and now Rosenhaus is his agent. Gone.

TE - Olsen? Looks like they finally got one right. He can be a building block for the offense.

O-Line - Fred Miller and Ruben Brown are both aging and need to be replaced next season. Tait, Kreutz, and Garza are solid.

i still dont get why the packers passed on Olsen..he was there for the taking and they took justine henin-harrell..or whatever the fock thats nancys name is...

Thomas Jones isn't exactly lighting the league on fire, but he is a lot better then Benson. Just a stupid, stupid, stupid decision keeping Benson. Jones was the best back Chicago has had in a long ass time (Salaam? Enis?).

An even bigger mistake was drafting him over Braylon Edwards. I have a few friends that are die-hard Bears fans and they were pissed about the draft that year.

Didn't some guy named Graham recently have a big game against Detroit ? Benson could do very little vs the same def ....

HMMMMMM,I wonder .......

Not a defense of Benson, but the O-line and play calling are atrocious. Nobody would succeed running with that offense right now.

RB - Benson? Crap. Gone.

You forgot Bad Rex, the king of them all (that's a pun, sort of, for you wordsmiths). :lol:

Thomas Jones isn't exactly lighting the league on fire, but he is a lot better then Benson. Just a stupid, stupid, stupid decision keeping Benson. Jones was the best back Chicago has had in a long ass time (Salaam? Enis?).

An even bigger mistake was drafting him over Braylon Edwards. I have a few friends that are die-hard Bears fans and they were pissed about the draft that year.

I was saying this last year, that is was the biggest mistake the bears could make, getting rid of a highly productive, highly versatile back that helps both the run and pass game.

On paper it made some sense to draft Benson, and im not a huge fan of first rounder WR draft picks. But the inability to evaluate your talent is inexcusable.

The Bears offensive line peaked a couple of years ago. Last year they were still good but this year they are showing their age. I don't think Jones would be doing as well as last year if he was still there. But at least Jones runs with passion. Benson seems to hit the holes slow. He is one of the classic college backs who could run over people but when he got to the NFL he is running into bigger and stronger bodies.

It just makes me wonder how incriminating those photos of Lovie Smith with that white male midget stripper at the weinersnitzel convention must be. That is the only way I can fathom why AP 2.0 isn't getting more carries.

Braylon was drafted 3rd

Benson was drafterd 4th