Sign in to follow this  
rwren

Cash offered in trades...ethical?

I've gotten wind that one or more of our league owners have been asking for cash thrown in trades. As far as I know, money hasn't been exchanged. Let me hear some feedback from you. If there is no rule in our league prohibiting this practice, should it be allowed? Is it ethical?

You shouldn't need a rule against this because it shouldn't even be an issue. If someone were to even offer to include cash as part of a trade, that alone tells you that a trade is not equitable. Cash should never be allowed to be involved in trades.

Many leagues, incld. my own, have a provision for transaction "cap cash" to be usable in a deal.. But strictly forbids "cash on the side".. punishable by expulsion from the League. That is down and dirty collusion, e.g. "flip me a few bucks and i'll trade you my good players"..

What type of "cash" changing hands are you referring to?

no it is not ethical and no it should not be allowed. If one owner doesnt think that he is helping his team enough by doing the trade, so needs some cash to make it worthwhile = collusion at its best :dunno:

It's allowed in real sports, why shouldn't it be in fantasy sports?

ONLY in a dynasty league though. It's not fair in a redraft.

I would probably put a rule in place. I could see a situation where there are an unequal number of players being traded and one side picking up the transaction fee necessary for the other side to have a legal roster. Anything beyond that should not be allowed.

For example, let's say that Team A is trading 3 players to Team B for 2 in return. If you are required to have a certain number of players on your roster, then I could see Team B throwing in a few bucks to cover the add that might be required for Team A's roster.

If you wanted to allow that scenario, then you should explicitly allow it in the rules. Otherwise, money changing hands is crap.

WTF? Are you kidding? So if I offer someone $50 for Tom Brady, they can just say "Okay". Then Tom Brady is simply put on my roster, then I walk home with the first place $750? Or do I have to throw in some garbage player on my roster just to "make it work" on Yahoo/CBS?

You can't allow real cash (something outside of FF) for something in FF--they don't have anything to do with each other.

A far stretch of an analogy....but here goes:

After a Nascar race, a cop gives one of the drivers a speeding ticket. :headbanger:

ONLY in a dynasty league though. It's not fair in a redraft.

You know ed, sometimes I cannot tell if you are serious or fishing. This is one of those cases.

Even it's a dynasty league where everyone has prepaid in advance, that's just a slippery slope. Preferential treatment and collusion would come into play too often.

I have thought about that myself. It just seems unethical. We have never had that come up in our league, but it seems like a can of worms waiting to be opened up.

To the point of the original poster.. If your league doesn't have a provision for any type of cash to be included in trades then the practice should not be allowed.

I love that we use this in my league.. it is not "cash on the side".. it is cap cash being added to make some slightly uneven deals work. It is very rarely more than $5 to pay for somone's trade or maybe $10 max. The important thing is any deal is still reviewed by our EC and commishes to insure fairness.

I had a guy offer me a bag of weed and some cash last year for LT. I turned him down. At the end of the season when I won the championship I bought my own bag. :thumbsdown:

I'm a commish & I have a written rule against this.

I had an incident in my leagues inaugural year where one playoff-bound owner offered a very lopsided trade to a bottom feeder with the caveat that he'd wipe out an owed debt. I got wind of it, vetoed the deal, & threatened to kick them both out of the league for any future antics.

I've had no problems in the 7 seasons since I added the rule.

You know ed, sometimes I cannot tell if you are serious or fishing. This is one of those cases.

:thumbsdown:

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

J

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

<º))))><´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸

Because in real sports, aquiring money makes your team better and the money in real sports amounts to millions of dollars. In fantasy, earning money does not make your team better and 50 dollars doesn't compare to millions of dollars.

Because in real sports, aquiring money makes your team better and the money in real sports amounts to millions of dollars. In fantasy, earning money does not make your team better and 50 dollars doesn't compare to millions of dollars.

DYNASTY LEAGUE.

Yeah it's tough when the people are actually dumb enough to sometimes be serious.

DYNASTY LEAGUE.

So? How does having an extra 50 bucks in your pocket help your dynasty team. If anything, it hurts it more than it would a redraft league. You have to suffer from your bad trade for a while in a dynasty league instead of just a couple more weeks in a redraft league.

I offered Benson for a beer...nobody took me up. I offered to BUY the beer and GIVE benson and only got one taker. Not the exact same scenario but in our league we've been known to buy a beer or two when trading.

I offered Benson for a beer...nobody took me up. I offered to BUY the beer and GIVE benson and only got one taker. Not the exact same scenario but in our league we've been known to buy a beer or two when trading.

A beer is legit.

Money... or a case of beer? No.

I hate to say this but if I'm in a league with a smokin hot chick and she's offering harcore sex for my five best players I'm trading <_<

no, no, no. did i mention "no"? this would seem to open a whole can of worms. the playing table would no longer be level because the guy that is willing to spend $ is going to screw the other owners. i'm sure there will be opinions both ways but this activity would cause big trouble in our league.

I hate to say this but if I'm in a league with a smokin hot chick and she's offering harcore sex for my five best players I'm trading :wall:

wellllllllllllllllllll, there is an exception to every rule (oninion). crap, rocket, i was trying to take the high road & you throw this at us. p.s. is harcore sex anything like hardcore?

Grounds for removal in my league.

PERIOD.