Sign in to follow this  
NewbieJr

So...does the Patriots narrow win change anyone's view

Barely pulling out a home game against a very mediocre Eagles team has to make people reconsider just how "awesome" this team really is.

Sure, they are probably the best team in a VERY weak NFL, but this win, coupled with a narrow victory over a very injury-riddled Colts team, has me thinking that they will have a real struggle winning a Super Bowl this year- an accomplishment that most felt was a foregone conclusion a week or two ago.

I guess the main question is, did the Eagles give the rest of the league a blueprint to beat the Pats? Remember, the Eagles aren't even a good team this year. Plus, they had a backup QB in there. One who couldn't even hold down the starting job with the woeful Dolphins.

I know the Pats are great at running up the score once they get a team on the ropes, but I wonder how they're going to win three playoff games against some decent competition.

Thoughts? (Besides the obvious ones from Pats fans)

I don't have any doubts they'll dominate the playoffs. They always seem to have another gear come playoff time.

I guess the main question is, did the Eagles give the rest of the league a blueprint to beat the Pats?

Only if the rest of the teams in the NFL can borrow the Philly O-line for the game.

Wait a second now.

The Patriots WON the game? Yes they did. I thought it didn't matter the margin by which a team won? Did the rules change?

The difference between the 07 Patriots and the 85 Bears? The Patriots have the offense to make up for a bad defensive game. 11 - 0 :banana: B) :thumbsdown:

Are they still the best? Yes.

Are they unbeatable foregon conclusion the SB champ? Nope.

They were a good QB away from losing last night...sorry, there is no excuse for the INT for the TD nor the late INT.

A QB with any real armstrength does not get that out route picked (as that ball was weakly thrown) and that 2nd to last INT...was just boneheaded.

Yet for all the talk of other QBs getting passes lately...I have not heard many criticize AJ freakin Feeley for that pass. Ditka gave him a pass this morning on Mike and Mike. Just a terrible decision and dumb to even have that play call in there at that point.

I know the Pats are great at running up the score once they get a team on the ropes, but I wonder how they're going to win three playoff games against some decent competition.

here fishy, fishy.

The Pats are beatable. Everyone is in the NFL. Parity is still alive and well.

The Eagles played a great game. They pulled out some tricks and they executed well, particularly on offense. It is going to take a team playing their best to beat the Pats, but it can happen. If you listen to what BB is telling his team this morning, I would say that he is using it to make them even better.

The 72 Dolphins had some close games. Every other team in history has LOST games. If they run the table they will be considered the greatest. If they win the super bowl with a couple of losses they will still be among the greatest.

They had some below par efforts by receivers who dropped balls, the offensive line didn't play as well as usual, the defense did not get enough pressure on the qb and give the Eagles credit. They played well. Feeley made some great throws. They looked like last years team under garcia.

The 72 Dolphins had some close games. Every other team in history has LOST games. If they run the table they will be considered the greatest. If they win the super bowl with a couple of losses they will still be among the greatest.

They had some below par efforts by receivers who dropped balls, the offensive line didn't play as well as usual, the defense did not get enough pressure on the qb and give the Eagles credit. They played well. Feeley made some great throws. They looked like last years team under garcia.

:thumbsup:

Barely pulling out a home game against a very mediocre Eagles team has to make people reconsider just how "awesome" this team really is.

Sure, they are probably the best team in a VERY weak NFL, but this win, coupled with a narrow victory over a very injury-riddled Colts team, has me thinking that they will have a real struggle winning a Super Bowl this year- an accomplishment that most felt was a foregone conclusion a week or two ago.

I guess the main question is, did the Eagles give the rest of the league a blueprint to beat the Pats? Remember, the Eagles aren't even a good team this year. Plus, they had a backup QB in there. One who couldn't even hold down the starting job with the woeful Dolphins.

Thoughts? (Besides the obvious ones from Pats fans)

This just goes to show how much hype/talk there is, the Pats win against a team who played much better then expected and people are trying to the knock them for it. It's the NFL only one team has gone undefeated, the odds are they won't win them all, they aren't going to win every game by 30 - is that the only way to justify a great team? They have to win every game by 30+, if not they aren't "awesome".

here fishy, fishy.

I'm simply questioning their ability when the game is close. It took an opponent's mistake for them to pull this one out. And the Eagles suck this year.

I hate to agree with the announcing crew from last night, but they were complete correct. It was beyond stupid for Feeley to be taking shots down the field at that time. There was 3:58 left, it's 2nd and 4, you need only a FG to tie, you're already in Akers range for it, and you have plenty of time to get into the endzone. The 2nd to last thing you want to do is give Tom Brady the ball back with 3 timeouts and 4 minutes on the clock. Were I the coach of the Eagles, I'd have run Westbrook or thrown screen passes to him every play the rest of the way in AND instructed Westbrook to fall down immediately after making anything past 7 yrds. To throw that ball to the endzone then was insane. Two more plays burns the clock down to 3:00 and forces the Pats to start taking timeouts. One more first down after that probably burns all their timeouts and gets you past the 2 min warning. Whoever called that play needs to be hanged.

Also, and not to try and agree with the announcers, but this is the blueprint to beat the Pats. Randy Moss is completely ineffective when teams beat him up. Hit him at the line, double him with safety help, and force Brady to beat you with dink/dunk underneath to Welker/Watson. New England cannot run at this point and if you can limit them to short passing, you can stop their offense on occasion.

Does anyone remember the team that won 21 games in a row, which is an NFL record? The same team that won their last 15 games of 2003 including the playoffs and superbowl?

Some of those scores.

New York Giants 17- 6

Miami Dolphins19-13

Cleveland Browns 9- 3

Denver Broncos 30-26

Houston Texans 23-20

Indianapolis Colts 38-34

Miami Dolphins 12- 0

New York Jets 21-16

AFC Divisional Playoff: won 17 - 14 vs. Tennessee Titans

Super Bowl: won 32 - 29 vs. Carolina Panthers

it doesn't matter how you win or what the score is, it matters if you win or not.

HTH

I'm simply questioning their ability when the game is close. It took an opponent's mistake for them to pull this one out. And the Eagles suck this year.

Look at my last post.

HTH

No, it doesnt change anyones opionion that they are a decent team in a HORRIBLY watered down NFL. In any ear whwere there were REAL monster teams they would be .500 at best.

And they still have the most hate-able coach/person ever running them and that is Belicheat. I mean, how can anyone NOT want to see this guy get hit by a large truck @ 75mph???

Look at my last post.

HTH

That whole season doesn't count. They weren't caught cheating yet.

HTH

When the game is close, they have responded. Eagles suck this year, but they did play very well last night. Feeley, the receivers, O-line, and Dbacks especially.

I hate to agree with the announcing crew from last night, but they were complete correct. It was beyond stupid for Feeley to be taking shots down the field at that time. There was 3:58 left, it's 2nd and 4, you need only a FG to tie, you're already in Akers range for it, and you have plenty of time to get into the endzone. The 2nd to last thing you want to do is give Tom Brady the ball back with 3 timeouts and 4 minutes on the clock. Were I the coach of the Eagles, I'd have run Westbrook or thrown screen passes to him every play the rest of the way in AND instructed Westbrook to fall down immediately after making anything past 7 yrds. To throw that ball to the endzone then was insane. Two more plays burns the clock down to 3:00 and forces the Pats to start taking timeouts. One more first down after that probably burns all their timeouts and gets you past the 2 min warning. Whoever called that play needs to be hanged.

Also, and not to try and agree with the announcers, but this is the blueprint to beat the Pats. Randy Moss is completely ineffective when teams beat him up. Hit him at the line, double him with safety help, and force Brady to beat you with dink/dunk underneath to Welker/Watson. New England cannot run at this point and if you can limit them to short passing, you can stop their offense on occasion.

While I agree with everyone about Feeley's bad pass, the guy played great overall minus the two bad passes and the Eagles did keep it close by being aggressive. Feeley was in an aggressive mode all night. It just cost them in the end, but it also allowed them to compete.

The win told me that they are a very good team who can make plays to win games.

The win told me thay are beatable, as is every team in the NFL.

The win told me nothing I did not know going into the game. My view remains the same.

No, it doesnt change anyones opionion that they are a decent team in a HORRIBLY watered down NFL. In any ear whwere there were REAL monster teams they would be .500 at best.

And they still have the most hate-able coach/person ever running them and that is Belicheat. I mean, how can anyone NOT want to see this guy get hit by a large truck @ 75mph???

:shocking:

They are a decent team in a horribly watered down NFL? No offense but you are out of your mind. The Patriots are the best team in the league even if you think its watered down. Decent? How about undefeated? Even if you think the NFL sucks right now (which I don't) then you still have to admit they are the best team in the league. Every team in the league is beatable though, they're not invincible.

No, it does not change my opinion of the Patriots. Philly played a great game, every NFL team has the ability. Whether or not they can realize it is another question. I have no doubt that the Dolphins are going to be just as fierce in an attempt to protect their heritage. The Patriots are a damn good team, they win. This year it has been easier with additional firepower, however the core of the team is still the team that needed to battle every game to win over the last few years. They will find a way and they won't give up until the dagger is driven into their heart and they're defeated.