Sign in to follow this  
Cuse9

Ok, how to really beat the Pats

Alot of you are saying the Giants can beat the Pats. I don't see it.

The Patriots have beaten everyone this year. Nobody has pulled it off. If both teams play their best the Patriots will win by 20.

If the Patriots play 80% and the Giants play perfect. The Patriots will win by 7.

Barring injury to Tom Brady what exactly has to happen for the G-Men to pull this off. I say this:

They have to stop the running game and shut down Wes Welker. If you can take away Welker then you take away the short game that moves the chains for the Pats. Same thing goes for the running game. Make them have to throw longer passes. Now if you do this you will have to have the game of somebodies life gaurding Randy Moss. You will also have to contain Stallworth. Not only can you not allow any breakdowns for long TD"S, but they'll have stop the yards after catch. This will keep the Pats scoring low.....under 20.

On offense the Giants have get great balance. Much like they have done. Biggest thing is they cannot settle for FG's. If they have to kick three FG's then this game is prolly lost for them.

The way I see it is they have an almost impossible task. Single coverage on Moss to prevent the "little things" from beating them. Then they must score TD's on a defense that don't give up TD's.

Giants 21-20 IF they can do what I say.

I don't think they can.

Make sure the safety help actually gets to Randy Moss this time. If not, you'll be looking at 7-0 after one play from scrimmage. Mark it down.

Also, learn to sit on those goofy quick screens that they run to Welker and Stallworth. Take one of those in the flat and go for 6.

Keep Welker from running after the catch. Defend the middle of the field.

BRANDON JACOBS

Wear down the Pats D (they're getting old) and bring in Bradshaw for a change of pace in the late third. Then go back to a rested Jacobs and run it down their throat for those 8-10 yard gashes he seems to get late in games (when he's still walking.)

Don't throw towards the inside shoulder with Asante Samuel covering the WR. It will be intercepted.

Don't stop blitzing!

Convert in the red zone

Limit Eli mistakes, but don't play conservatively. He just has to play well.

Take advantage of what few turnovers the Pats commit.

Never come away without points if you cross the 50. Must capitalize on good field position.

Shut down 60% of third down attempts.

Control the clock.

It all comes down to what's going on in the trenches. The Giants o-line is really playing well and Manning has been doing well avoiding the big mistakes. Avoid the turnovers and have solid line play on both sides of the ball will be the key to both teams winning. The Pats protect Brady really well, but the Giants have been doing a solid job of it too.

I think the Giants will have an easier time moving the ball vs the Pats. I think that because the Pats defense is an aged defense that the Giants will be able to do what they want. The Pats will also move the ball but they will have a slightly harder time doing so. I happen to think that the Giants defense is better than the Pats.

And we all know that defense wins championships.

I see it this way...The pressure is all on the Pats. Why? Because if the Giants lose, well, they lost to a team who hasn't lost all year, and the Giants are forgivin because of it. If the Pats lose than the undefeated season went down the drain. And it will be a long long off season. They have to follow through with going undefeated. The pressure is on.

This season must seem like it has taken 2 years to play let alone 4-5 months. But there is still another game to be played.

Are the Pats the better team? Everyone thinks so. They havn't lost yet.

But if the Pats can't put the Giants away by halftime, than I'm sure the pressure is really going to go up and the Pats will finally be pressured into doing something they havn't done, and the G-Men will walk away as the champs.

This is just my opinion and what I think will happen if the Pats can't put the Giants away early.

But if the Pats can't put the Giants away by halftime, than I'm sure the pressure is really going to go up and the Pats will finally be pressured into doing something they havn't done, and the G-Men will walk away as the champs.

What is it that the Pats haven't done?

Chargers had the right gameplan on defense. But they lost because they had an incompetent offense.

What is it that the Pats haven't done?

Speaking in general....Making that big mistakle in the S.B.

I take nothing away from what they have done so far. Accept for the 72 Dolphins any team would love to be in the Pats position of going into the S.B being undefeated. They just need to follow through and end up at 19-0.

Speaking in general....Making that big mistakle in the S.B.

I gotcha. I thought you were talking about games this year so I wasn't sure what you were driving at.

You can't make mistakes.

I heard Brady say after Super Bowl 41.5 in Indianapolis that, on that bomb to Moss that effectively changed the game, he got to the line and noticed that Bethea was in the wrong coverage after they had played a perfect defense until that point (3+ quarters). What do great teams and qbs do??? They take advantage when the opponent goofs...which is what they did in that game and many others. That is why they are so tough to beat...you simply cannot make mistakes.

Whatever you throw at the X and O-wise can work...you just have to be able to execute on every play. Not easy to do.

Take out Brady and replace him with Favre or Peyton

:thumbsdown:

Your hatred/jealousy of them apparently supersedes your love for Brady.

NYG beat the Pats by having more points than NE when the game is over. :thumbsdown:

Translation: Nobody has been good enough to beat the Pats yet.  If a team can out-play and out-execute the Pats, they can win many different ways.

You need to force turnovers and when you do, you have to turn those t.o.'s into touchdowns not FG's.

Pretty much.

Cannot get to the 9 yard line and settle for FGs as the Chargers did.

Basically...the Giants have to get pressure on Brady.

Eli has to play basically a perfect game.

Coming from a huge pats homer... these are the obvious ones...

Control the LOS. Control the clock. Convert on opportunities. Be willing to risk on 4th and short anywhere past your own 45 yd line. Pats don't punt the ball, expect pats to score every time they touch the ball.

Coming from a huge pats homer... these are the obvious ones...

Control the LOS. Control the clock. Convert on opportunities. Be willing to risk on 4th and short anywhere past your own 45 yd line. Pats don't punt the ball, expect pats to score every time they touch the ball.

Isn't controlling the LOS pretty much all that's needed? If the Giants CONTROL the line of scrimmage they will be able to dominate on both sides of the ball, and win easily.

Football's not nearly as complex as some are making it out to be.

Isn't controlling the LOS pretty much all that's needed? If the Giants CONTROL the line of scrimmage they will be able to dominate on both sides of the ball, and win easily.

Football's not nearly as complex as some are making it out to be.

Yep... Osi, Tuck, Strahan need to get enough pressure on Brady to force the ball out of his hands. They need to stop the run by themselves to allow the LBs to float.

Its pretty simple stuff.

Yep... Osi, Tuck, Strahan need to get enough pressure on Brady to force the ball out of his hands. They need to stop the run by themselves to allow the LBs to float.

Its pretty simple stuff.

If they can repeat what they did in week 17, the run is no concern. They gave up 48 yards on 22 total carries by NE. That fornt 4 need to create pressure on Brady b/c else he can probably slice and dice them like in week 17. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that NE will most likely come out passing a lot.

And if the Giants OL can make holes for Jacobs and Bradshaw, the Giants will be in great shape. Eli did a lot on his own in week 17, but if the OL controls the LOS getting Jacobs and Bradshaw into the 2nd wave, look the F out. Remember, NE hasn't gone up against Bradshaw yet.

With the way the Giants have played lately, this game looks more evenly matched to me than it currently does to the media. Giants going through TB, Dallas, then GB demands some respect.

If they can repeat what they did in week 17, the run is no concern.

That's pretty funny. :banana:

Do you realize Brady's entire M.O. for week 17 was to get the ball to Moss as much as possible until they both broke their records? It's the playoffs now, Moss has 2 receptions through 2 games, Brady is now doing what it takes to win, records don't matter. They will have an entirely different game plan. :doublethumbsup:

That's pretty funny. :lol:

Do you realize Brady's entire M.O. for week 17 was to get the ball to Moss as much as possible until they both broke their records? It's the playoffs now, Moss has 2 receptions through 2 games, Brady is now doing what it takes to win, records don't matter. They will have an entirely different game plan. :dunno:

Probably, since they ran 22 times for 48 yards in that first game :banana: . I'm sure that Belichick only allowed them to run for 48 yards b/c he knew they would be facing the Giants in the SB. He told Maroney to just go down to set NY up for later. This time around they will run over and over again, and Maroney will be told to try in this game. Meanwhile they will gameplan Moss as a decoy not even considering more than a pass or 2 his way. Brady is going to do what it takes to win and that, apparently, does not include throwing the ball to Moss even though it worked so well the 1st time around.

Belichick is such a great coach that he will purposely gameplan against NE's strengths, and obliterate NY with the run, just to thumb his nose at the NFL one last time. He will immediately be given sainthood by the Catholic Church upon completion of this season. :doublethumbsup:

your football knowledge does not live up to your post count.  lots of fluff

Defensively, the Chargers did everything they needed to do to win the game. They took Moss out of the the game, they got after Brady, and they held the Pats to under 25 points. I know they gave up a lot on the ground, but you honestly can't ask for any better performance than that.

The Ginats are going to need to match that effort defensively, but also improve on what San Diego did offensively. Points aren't going to be as easy to come by for the Giants as they were in week 17. The balanced attach they've had in the post season, as well as avoiding mistakes, are essential. An area they'll need to improve on is the long ball, and they do have the skill to do so. They didn't attempt much against the Tampa 2, took a couple shots in Dallas, but clearly Plax's injury hurt their chances there, and neither team was going to do more than take a few shots to keep the defenses honest in that cold in GB. They'll take their shots with the Pats, and they are going to have to take advantage of them when they do.

Probably, since they ran 22 times for 48 yards in that first game :rolleyes: . I'm sure that Belichick only allowed them to run for 48 yards b/c he knew they would be facing the Giants in the SB. He told Maroney to just go down to set NY up for later. This time around they will run over and over again, and Maroney will be told to try in this game. Meanwhile they will gameplan Moss as a decoy not even considering more than a pass or 2 his way. Brady is going to do what it takes to win and that, apparently, does not include throwing the ball to Moss even though it worked so well the 1st time around.

Belichick is such a great coach that he will purposely gameplan against NE's strengths, and obliterate NY with the run, just to thumb his nose at the NFL one last time. He will immediately be given sainthood by the Catholic Church upon completion of this season. :shocking:

Yup. The Patriots have no shot. Good call Jimmy the Geek :(

1. Pressure Brady, relentlessly. The Giants front 4 is as good as any in the league, at all phases. They consistently get pressure on opposing QB and are good run stoppers. Brady doesn't like to be hit, and he's damned sure not used to it. You gotta knock him all over the turf all day.

2. Linebacker must be aware of the screen and the play action. Brady is a friggin play action master. Now that the Pats have a running game working, it's much more effective. You must contain Maroney (as the G-men did in the wk 17 meeting) and you must keep Faulk in check. The Pats cannot given short 3rd down conversion opportunities or convert the long ones using their RB out of the backfield as they did against the Chargers

3. You must jam Randy Moss at the line and play physical with him. You cannot leave him singled if Brady isn't getting pressured.

4. You must get some safety help on Wes Welker from time to time, and it helps to jam him at the line as well. Welker is way too quick for ANY LB in coverage, that's why he gets open and why he picks YAC. If you're putting an LB on him, you gotta knock him on his azz before he gets into his route. If not, you gotta have a safety on him and pressure from your front line.

5. You cannot make mistakes. You can figure the Pats for 20+ pts on a bad day. If you make mistakes, that count goes up. If you can keep them in the low 20's you've got a chance.

6. Wear down their defense. The weakness of the Pats D is against the run. The G-men need to run Jacobs relentlessly to beat up the old/slow RB core the Pats employ. If you fall behind early, the run game is gone and you're falling into their trap.

7. You must score TD. Kicking FG isn't gonna beat the Pats. If you're in the redzone, you gotta get a TD on at least 1/2 your trips to have a shot.

8. You cannot make stupid coaching mistakes. The teams that had the Pats against the ropes this year changed their play at the very end of the games. Boller and Feeley both started throwing when they should have been power running. Defensive play calling also changed. The teams that were successful went after Brady a lot but backed off down the stretch. Not only are you in the Superbowl, you're about to be the last name in a history making campaign by the Pats. There's no room for playing it safe. You go balls-out, and don't stop. You must save your timeouts and manage the clock.

I think if the Giants play a perfect game this weekend, it will still take a couple of mistakes by the Pats to end up winning. If both teams play clean and mistake free, the Pats are the better team. They are the best coached and best executing team in NFL history. You must make them play every down and you must play it harder and more desperately than they do. I see the game being decided squarely by how the NE offensive line does vs the Giants Defensive line and by how the Giants running game imposes it's will on the Pats defense. If the Giants can win both of those, they got a shot...if not, well, say hello to the greatest season in NFL History.

GO GIANTS!!!

Don't stop blitzing!

You are a genius and should be a head coach. <_<

Yeah, blitz every single play, then the Pats will kill you with the extra yardage on the dump offs and the WR screens. They will take that all day long. The idea is to not make yourself predictable. Do you need a copy of Football for Morons?

To me, one thing that is absolutely vital if the Giants hope to beat the Pats is: DON'T TURN THE BALL OVER. Turnovers vs. the Patriots have a two-fold effect:

-Your team loses a chance to keep up with the Patriots

-They give the Patriots a short field to the end zone

I think the second point is a really big one. You just can't give an offence as potent as the Patriots' a short field to the end zone - that's absolute suicide. Make them march the long field every time they get the ball. Who knows - it might lead to the odd turnover from Brady & Co. (gasp!), as the Chargers showed on the weekend.

Also, all the other points that have been mentioned in this thread are important as well if the Giants hope to win. :thumbsdown:

The Giants need to do two things to have a "chance" to win and they are obvious:

1) Play close to perfect.

2) Create turnovers.

I know, Captain Obvious, but there is no way they win playing toe-toe. They need to get lucky with the turnovers and be completely mistake free.

If the Giants can score more points, they will win. Easy formula, really.

If the Giants can score more points, they will win. Easy formula, really.

What if they score more ways, but still lose that is quite possible.

The Giants need to do two things to have a "chance" to win and they are obvious:

1) Play close to perfect.

2) Create turnovers.

I know, Captain Obvious, but there is no way they win playing toe-toe. They need to get lucky with the turnovers and be completely mistake free.

1 - Of course they need to play close to perfect, they're playing the best team in the NFL.

2 - Why is everyone on the turnover train? Get lucky with turnovers? They lost in week seventeen 38-35 and didn't create one turnover. I agree a turnover created would be nice for them but it's not a must for them to win the game. I can understand an argument for not giving up turnovers, but creating turnovers will not make or break the game for NY.

Pretty simple come after Brady and "SWEEP THE LEG!"

I think they need their special teams - ala kickoff return guy Hixon - to have another big game against the Pats. He ran back one for a TD in week 17 - and put the Giants in great field position all night. Without his help - I don't think the game would have been as close as it was.

I don't think their running game will be able to do much - despite them being "old", the Pats held Jacobs to only 67 yards in week 17 - and have shown to be able to stop backs like Westbrook, Parker, MoJo, Jackson, Turner and Sproles. It's gonna come down to Eli making the plays - finding the open receivers 10-15 yards down field underneath the safeties (like Jax and SD did all day) - and then not making any mental errors in the red zone (like SD and Jax did).

This game has great potential! Unfortunately, my wives family are all from New Jersey and are Giants fans...so I have been having to put up with them trash talking since Sunday night...

Probably, since they ran 22 times for 48 yards in that first game ;) . I'm sure that Belichick only allowed them to run for 48 yards b/c he knew they would be facing the Giants in the SB. He told Maroney to just go down to set NY up for later. This time around they will run over and over again, and Maroney will be told to try in this game. Meanwhile they will gameplan Moss as a decoy not even considering more than a pass or 2 his way. Brady is going to do what it takes to win and that, apparently, does not include throwing the ball to Moss even though it worked so well the 1st time around.

Belichick is such a great coach that he will purposely gameplan against NE's strengths, and obliterate NY with the run, just to thumb his nose at the NFL one last time. He will immediately be given sainthood by the Catholic Church upon completion of this season. <_<

Your logic is pathetic.

Its obvious your hatred for the pats affects your common sense.....

Once or twice on every defensive series I would give up a defensive holding penalty. Give them the 5 yards and first down. Play tight bump coverage and at the snap tackle every receiver. Brady would have nowhere to go with the ball so you send everyone else on a blitz and make sure Brady goes down. Mix this up with your other coverages and do whatever you have to to get pressure on Brady. Brady is not the same QB when he is getting pressured and hit.

sit back in a zone and don't get any pressure on Brady like the Jags did and he will complet 92% of his passes. Get in his face like the Chargers did and he throws 3 int's.

Probably, since they ran 22 times for 48 yards in that first game :dunno: . I'm sure that Belichick only allowed them to run for 48 yards b/c he knew they would be facing the Giants in the SB. He told Maroney to just go down to set NY up for later. This time around they will run over and over again, and Maroney will be told to try in this game. Meanwhile they will gameplan Moss as a decoy not even considering more than a pass or 2 his way. Brady is going to do what it takes to win and that, apparently, does not include throwing the ball to Moss even though it worked so well the 1st time around.

Belichick is such a great coach that he will purposely gameplan against NE's strengths, and obliterate NY with the run, just to thumb his nose at the NFL one last time. He will immediately be given sainthood by the Catholic Church upon completion of this season. :cheers:

You really need to stop writing about things that you know nothing about. The reason the Pats only ran for 48 yards is because they rested their starting right guard and starting right tackle in week 17. They will both be healthy and ready to go this time around.

This game has great potential! Unfortunately, my wives family are all from New Jersey and are Giants fans...so I have been having to put up with them trash talking since Sunday night...

I almost feel bad for you. You get a small glimpse of what it's like 1) to live in New England as a non-Patriots' fan (that one's personal), and 2) being on this board of late.

:)

Enjoy the game.

Your logic is pathetic.

Its obvious your hatred for the pats affects your common sense.....

Coming from you.....that's a compliment. :)

And another thing, why do you come into a thread about how the Giants can beat the Pats, and start telling me about my obvious hatred for the Pats? It's a thread about how the Giants can beat the Pats you idiot. Your obvious blind homerism with the Pats allows you no sense at all....let alone common sense. I think you probably expect everyone to come into this thread and just state there's no way the Giants can win, they should just forfeit. And when that doesn't happen, you get pissy and start calling everyone haters.

It absolutely amazes me how bad some Patriot fans have gotten this year. I've never seen worse fans in my life.