Sign in to follow this  
BLS

Allen is a Viking!

Chiefs agree to send Allen to Vikings

The Chiefs have agreed to trade Pro Bowl DE Jared Allen to the Vikings, reports NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

www.nfl.com

No details yet....watching NFL network right now.

I wonder how many picks we gave up...? Should be interesting. Makes draft day a lot less interesting for us Viking fans...

im curious if it was a 1 and a 3, or maybe a 1 this yr and a conditional pick in 2009 based upon his playtime and ability to stay on the field (is he a next violation away from a 1yr suspension?)

either way, adding a legit edge threat to kevin williams (top3 positional overall) and pat williams (top4 positional run stopper) will be big. they were a nice defense last yr, and now they have serious potential. if the qb can get his act together and improve, they have a contender-caliber run game and defense. :pointstosky:

im curious if it was a 1 and a 3, or maybe a 1 this yr and a conditional pick in 2009 based upon his playtime and ability to stay on the field (is he a next violation away from a 1yr suspension?)

either way, adding a legit edge threat to kevin williams (top3 positional overall) and pat williams (top4 positional run stopper) will be big. they were a nice defense last yr, and now they have serious potential. if the qb can get his act together and improve, they have a contender-caliber run game and defense. :unsure:

Agreed. :thumbsup:

here it is:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

wow, they got both 3s. i guess KC can just stock up multiple young players and inject youth, or maybe package the 3s and move into the 2nd (those 3s add up to about 2.18 on the draft pick chart) and fetch a particular player. i think they will def look at how the qbs skid and maybe make a move to get one.

here it is:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

wow, they got both 3s. i guess KC can just stock up multiple young players and inject youth, or maybe package the 3s and move into the 2nd (those 3s add up to about 2.18 on the draft pick chart) and fetch a particular player. i think they will def look at how the qbs skid and maybe make a move to get one.

We paid out the nose for this guy. He better freakin pan out.

I'd REALLY like to see the Vikes go QB (Brohm) at 47, but if they go O Line or WR, I'm OK with that as well.

Anything else would be a disappointment.

Honestly, if the Vikes added only Brohm and Allen to this squad, I'd probably go buy season tickets.

I would like to see another Sydney Rice type WR though.

I think you gotta draft an O-lineman with #47. Then later focus on TE and S.

I don't see Chilly drafting a WR with their first pick. He seems content bringing in other teams' cast offs to fill roster space.

Robert. Ferguson. :thumbsup:

I think you gotta draft an O-lineman with #47. Then later focus on TE and S.

I don't see Chilly drafting a WR with their first pick. He seems content bringing in other teams' cast offs to fill roster space.

Robert. Ferguson. :thumbsup:

Yeah..WTF was he thinking there? The only thing he can say is that Ferguson knows the playbook walking in.

But we need OUR own WR's. and we need our OWN QB to learn along with them.

either way, adding a legit edge threat to kevin williams (top3 positional overall) and pat williams (top4 positional run stopper) will be big. they were a nice defense last yr, and now they have serious potential. if the qb can get his act together and improve, they have a contender-caliber run game and defense. :thumbsup:

kevin williams is not the 3rd best DE in the league.... forget that nonsense

Having Pat and Kevin Williams in the middle and Allen on the outside seems like a very bad matchup for just about any offensive line in the league.

kevin williams is not the 3rd best DE in the league.... forget that nonsense

If you only get your football knowledge from ESPN highlites or this bored, then you are right on the money. If you use actual football talent, you are wrong even when you grade him against tackles and not ends.

Allen is a great player if he didn't have all the off the field DUI problems there is no way the Chiefs would have let him go. If he stays clean the Vikes and their fans will be happy, if not the Chiefs are the winners even after they most likely blow the picks.

i didnt say end [but also didnt say tackle].

either way, he is top3 overall to me:

run stopping top10-ish: casey hampton, jamal williams, pat williams, albert haynesworth, kevin williams, john henderson, marcus stroud, vince wilfork, shaun rogers

pass rushing top5-ish: tommie harris, darnell dockett, kevin williams, laroi glover (despite age), shaun rogers

kevin williams posted 10+sacks his first 2 seasons, gets double-teamed, attacks the qb, and bats down a lot of passes (even has interceptions with return TDs). he is surely no slouch at his position (the vikes have ranked 1st in rush defense the past 2 seasons).

Memo to the Vikings:

Tarvaris Jackson is your QB :pointstosky:

I said it when they brought in Hutch, and I'll say it again now, Allen can't pass the ball or run the offense, you are going nowhere!

Nothing against Allen's abilities but no QB = No success.

Interesting, the Vikings are quietly building a decent team.....if they can either grab a FA QB, or manage to snatch a decent one in the draft they could be a serious threat in the coming year or two.... :pointstosky:

Memo to the Vikings:

Tarvaris Jackson is your QB :pointstosky:

I said it when they brought in Hutch, and I'll say it again now, Allen can't pass the ball or run the offense, you are going nowhere!

Nothing against Allen's abilities but no QB = No success.

Tell that to the Ravens, Buccaneers, and 85 Bears.

Tarvaris needs work, and possibly a replacement. But we have this guy who can run the ball. You may have heard of him.....

I'm so stoked, that if the Vikings went out at 47 and took Brian Brohm, I'll go buy season tickets TODAY.

I know that no viking fan wants to hear negative thoughts about the trade. It's the offseason and everything is positive this time of year.

But this deal is HIGH risk HIGH reward.... It has the potential to a great move for the Vikings. And it has the potential to be Herschel Walker part 2. In all honesty, we won't know which it is for a couple of years.

I'm glad we got him. I wish we could have gotten him for one less 3rd round pick thou. With the way the salary cap is going up the money is not too big of a deal for the team.

GO VIKES!

SKOL! :thumbsup:

this is going to be a fun weekend :thumbsup:

and even if we land a bunch of talent this year, we'll still probably suck enough to get some decent picks next year. We'll be able to load up on talent. The scary part is that you could potentially land about 3-4 high caliber players, whose contracts will all be expiring around the same time.

Buh-bye Jared :doublethumbsup:

this is going to be a fun weekend :thumbsup:

and even if we land a bunch of talent this year, we'll still probably suck enough to get some decent picks next year. We'll be able to load up on talent. The scary part is that you could potentially land about 3-4 high caliber players, whose contracts will all be expiring around the same time.

Buh-bye Jared :doublethumbsup:

How is KC's cap room now? Will they have enough to pay all of these "studs" you are about to get? :doublethumbsup:

How is KC's cap room now? Will they have enough to pay all of these "studs" you are about to get? :thumbsup:

we're in grat shape, like $25m below I believe

:doublethumbsup:

ETA: not to mention the space freed up by getting rid of Jared.

Best article I have found so far on "The Trade"

Jared Allen traded: That sucks and here is why

Jared Allen Traded: That Sucks and Here’s Why

By Jon Yoon | April 22nd, 2008

E-mail | Print | Share

Well, the trade is now official. Jared Allen is now a Viking and Carl Peterson, sadly, is still running the show for the Chiefs. If there’s any silver lining to this debacle, it’s that Carl Peterson may have put his entire career on the line for a move that has a very good chance of being an absolute disaster.

Don’t believe any of the BS you’ll read in the upcoming days from Chiefs’ fans who will tell you that the Chiefs came out as winners in this deal. This deal absolutely sucks for the Chiefs and for you, and here are the very simple reasons why:

Myth #1: Trading Jared Allen gives the Chiefs better draft picks

That is absolute baloney. The Chiefs ended the 2007 season with defensive line as a low-level priority; it has now become a priority. The Chiefs will likely replace Jared Allen with their #5 pick, whether that’s Chris Long or Vernon Gholston. It’s highly unlikely that either of these players will be as good as Allen. Aside from their inherent flaws (Long is not a particularly great pass rusher, in spite of his sack total, and Gholston is more suited to play a 3-4 OLB/DE), they both have the tall task of being as good if not better than the best DE in football in 2008. Highly unlikely that that will ever happen.

So let’s break this down piece by piece: the Chiefs get worse at DE. Whereas the Chiefs could have taken blue-chip offensive line prospects like Ryan Clady or Branden Albert with the #5 pick, they will now have to significantly downgrade with second-rate prospect Chris Williams. So the Chiefs got significantly worse at offensive line. Because the Chiefs badly need to use the #5 pick to secure Gholston or Long, they likely lose the ability to trade down with New England, which could have gotten them a third round pick. So let’s see… the Chiefs trading Allen has made them worse at DE, significantly worse at Offensive Tackle, and all they get in exchange for those two downgrades is two third round picks (one or two of which could have been obtained in a trade-down scenario?) And because of what? $10 million of guaranteed money over 5 years ($2 million per year)? You must be outside your mind.

Myth #2: Jared Allen was never that good and had a breakout season in 2007

Myth. Jared Allen was a borderline pro bowler for most of his career. In 2007, he was arguably the best DE in the league. 15.5 sacks in 14 games is going to be very difficult to replace. Amazingly, he did all this with absolutely no help at Defensive Tackle next to him. The thought of Jared Allen lined up next to Kevin Williams is downright scary. Allen could very well be an MVP next year for Minnesota.

Allen was a pretty decent run defender when you compare him side-by-side with most sack leaders, who are major liabilities against the run. And yes, he has been picked up off with double teams, but isn’t that the fault of the defensive tackle next to him for being so awful that he couldn’t take advantage of those double teams or that he wasn’t good enough to draw attention away from Allen?

What really, really bothers me is that there are many who question his work ethic simply because of his off-the-field problems. Jared has always been a very hard worker and a high-motor player. I have never, ever once questioned his intensity.

Myth #3: This is great for the rebuild

When we start treating 26-year-old players like old men, we know we’ve been tricked.

When we start acting like a team with $20+ million in cap space is strapped for cash, we know we’ve been tricked twice.

The Chiefs cut a young player in spite of the vast amount of resources available to keep him. Allen will be a solid DE 4 or 5 years from now. Unless the Chiefs are rebuilding for 5 years into the future, this move simply does not make sense in terms of the rebuild effort.

Myth #4: Jared Allen is replaceable

This is where I’ll end my little tirade. Jared Allen is irreplaceable. He’s a pro bowl player for one who still has upside. But he’s also been an enormous asset to his teammates, his fans, and the city of Kansas City. Talk to any fan who’s met him, and they will tell you about how Allen would go out of his way to talk to any Average Joe on the street–he was never too big or important to commit to his fans.

Talk to any teammate, and I’m sure they’ll tell you about how Jared made being a Chief fun. Jared brought an enormous amount of energy and excitement onto the practice field and particularly on the playing field. Taking a presence like that out of the locker room or the huddle is like deflating a fully inflated balloon.

The Chiefs have essentially sent the message that Jared is worth a few meager draft picks. It’s too bad that the front office didn’t consult the fans, team, or city. To all those, Jared Allen is irreplaceable.

:thumbsup:

Allen was great at what he did, getting to the passer no question. That article's thoughts on his run defense I will question, i watched every damn game he played in. He's not a great run defender.

Oh noooooos, the sky is falling :cheers:

The reality is while he is a great player without question, the Chiefs are far from a great team. One good player out of 22 is going to get you nowhere. When the Chiefs finally are where they need to be, the reality is that Allen's skills will probably be on the decline. Why tie money up in a guy that is a good player when there is no talent around him to work with? I like the fact they added 3 picks in what appears to be a very deep draft so that when those players do start to come into their own, hopefully we hit on a few of those picks and then really do have some talent to work with. That is the reality of this trade for the Chiefs. We're not trying to paint it any better than what it really is. Probably will work out well for both sides.

I love how that article downplays Gholston and Long and makes Albert & Clady look like world beaters. This draft is so freaking deep with OLs that it's sick. Basically Allen wanted out and KC wasn't going to risk giving him a big contract because of the drinking. If KC were to lose Allen due to legal their line would really be garbage, if Minn loses Allen due to legal they will still be alright. Good trade for both, although giving up that extra third seems bad right now, but of course it's a wait and see situation.

I love how that article downplays Gholston and Long and makes Albert & Clady look like world beaters. This draft is so freaking deep with OLs that it's sick. Basically Allen wanted out and KC wasn't going to risk giving him a big contract because of the drinking. If KC were to lose Allen due to legal their line would really be garbage, if Minn loses Allen due to legal they will still be alright. Good trade for both, although giving up that extra third seems bad right now, but of course it's a wait and see situation.

yep, the Chiefs werent going to reach with that 1st pick for Albert or Clady regardless if they had kept Allen.

Let me guess.

Ronnydobbs: Chiefs homer

Toofy: I know is a Chiefs homer

Analysis:

Much like a good chunk of Minnesotans were when we traded Moss, our argument was "he's too old, hurt, washed up, a troublemaker, etc."

How did that turn out?

Let me guess.

Analysis:

Much like a good chunk of Minnesotans were when we traded Moss, our argument was "he's too old, hurt, washed up, a troublemaker, etc."

How did that turn out?

pretty shitty for both the vikes and raiders :cheers:

look BLS, I'm not saying it's a bad move for the Vikes. I'm just sayign jared Allen is what he is, a great pass rusher which is what the Vikes need. I also think you have to look where the Chiefs are at as an organization, and realize this is a good move for the Chiefs, it really makes sense. especially in this deep of a draft.

oh you guys swapped 6th rounders with us too, so you got that going for you :cheers:

Vikings | Team acquires J. Allen, agrees to terms on contract

Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:14:13 -0700

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Minnesota Vikings have agreed to terms on a contract with Kansas City Chiefs DE Jared Allen. The Vikings will give the Chiefs their 2008 first-round draft pick, two third-round picks and the teams will swap sixth-round picks with the Vikings acquiring Allen. Allen has also agreed to terms on a six-year deal worth just under $74 million with $31,000,069 guaranteed. No. 69 is his jersey number.

$31m guaranteed? good luck with that, seriously

Let me guess.

Analysis:

How did that turn out?

Nope, Bucs Homer with no bias either way...sorry to spoil your knee-jerk reaction. How could my comments be construed as Pro-KC?

pretty shitty for both the vikes and raiders ;)

look BLS, I'm not saying it's a bad move for the Vikes. I'm just sayign jared Allen is what he is, a great pass rusher which is what the Vikes need. I also think you have to look where the Chiefs are at as an organization, and realize this is a good move for the Chiefs, it really makes sense. especially in this deep of a draft.

Agreed, this trade was a win/win for both sides... Obviously, Mr. Ziggy liked him, knows his team needs a guy like this badly right now... And decides after meeting him, that it was time to open up the Checkbook and get writin'... MB

ps. Now he better put that thing back in the drawer, and save his money for when he needs to "re-up" A "freaking" D :huh:

We paid out the nose for this guy. He better freakin pan out.

I'd REALLY like to see the Vikes go QB (Brohm) at 47, but if they go O Line or WR, I'm OK with that as well.

Anything else would be a disappointment.

Honestly, if the Vikes added only Brohm and Allen to this squad, I'd probably go buy season tickets.

I would like to see another Sydney Rice type WR though.

Tell that to the Ravens, Buccaneers, and 85 Bears.

Tarvaris needs work, and possibly a replacement. But we have this guy who can run the ball. You may have heard of him.....

I'm so stoked, that if the Vikings went out at 47 and took Brian Brohm, I'll go buy season tickets TODAY.

Am I missing something here or will Brohm be long gone at 47.

also guys I wouldn't worry about the suspension. Word was that Allen quit drinkin after his latest DUI troubles, which led to the appeal going in his favor and his penalty being reduced. i think at least he has that aspect in his favor.

$31m guaranteed? good luck with that, seriously

Get it straight :huh:

It's $31,000,069