Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

Who would be the all time NBA team ?

We were debating this in the office yesterday and here is the consensus we came up with up. Wondering if you fellas thought different.

Starters

C- Wilt

PF - Russell

SF - Oscar

SG - Micheal

PG - Magic

Bench:

G- Isiah

G- Kobe

G- West

F- Dr J

F- Bird

F- Malone

C- Kareem

also mentioned

Pistol Pete

Moses Malone

LeBron

I'd definietely take Stockton over Isiah. Would give serious consideration of Garnett over Malone.

I really don't like this guy but he seems to be always overlooked on lists like this one. Check his stats and check his multiple rings. Dude has put up 22 and 11 for over ten years now. Got to be at least on the "others mentioned" list. Tim Duncan.

ETA: Also don't let the past two years cloud your perception of Shaq. He clearly is not the player he used to be but for a LONG time he was the most dominant NBA player in the game. Multiple titles to boot.

I really don't like this guy but he seems to be always overlooked on lists like this one. Check his stats and check his multiple rings. Dude has put up 22 and 11 for over ten years now. Got to be at least on the "others mentioned" list. Tim Duncan.

ETA: Also don't let the past two years cloud your perception of Shaq. He clearly is not the player he used to be but for a LONG time he was the most dominant NBA player in the game. Multiple titles to boot.

you would take Shaq over Kareem or Wilt ?

I would take Wilt by himself vs any other 5 players in NBA history. First to 11 wins.

you would take Shaq over Kareem or Wilt ?

Prolly not. I actually agree with your first team.

But you got to have Shaq on there somewhere. In regards to Centers I would only have Russell, Wilt, and Kareem ahead of him all-time.

Prolly not. I actually agree with your first team.

But you got to have Shaq on there somewhere. In regards to Centers I would only have Russell, Wilt, and Kareem ahead of him all-time.

Yeah, cause it's not like Olajuwon schooled him in the finals or anything. Oh wait......

C- Wilt

PF- Russell

SF- Bird

SG- MJ

PG- Magic

6th man- Oscar

Bench

Kareem

The Dream

KG

Kobe

Dr J

West

Isiah

(bench not in a certain order)

I would take Wilt by himself vs any other 5 players in NBA history. First to 11 wins.

He couldn't even beat Russell, now you want him to play 4 other people too?

Yeah, cause it's not like Olajuwon schooled him in the finals or anything. Oh wait......

Well at least it wasn't as bad as that ass whoopin he put on that bullsh!t league MVP the series before.

You mean when they met in Shaq's 2nd or 3rd year in the league when he was like 22 years old? I prefer to look at a career when evaluating players not just four games. HTH

As good as Hakeem was, which was pretty damn good, he cannot be ranked ahead of Shaq. Shaq has 4 titles compared to two for the Dream, and Shaq has better overall career stats on top of that.

You mean when they met in Shaq's 2nd or 3rd year in the league when he was like 22 years old? I prefer to look at a career when evaluating players not just four games. HTH

As good as Hakeem was, which was pretty damn good, he cannot be ranked ahead of Shaq. Shaq has 4 titles compared to two for the Dream, and Shaq has better overall career stats on top of that.

Other than points per game what stats are you talking about, specifically? And which of the two would you call the better defensive player? Remember, there are two sides of the court. Shaq never understood that but I hope you do.

When comparing a guy that has had people hack him to make him shoot FTs, and have done it successfully, with a guy of the Dream's caliber, it isn't a question.

Hakeem all the way.

Doesn't hurt to have Kobe Bryant on your team, they were 2 of the best players on teh same team at that time.

Other than points per game what stats are you talking about, specifically? And which of the two would you call the better defensive player? Remember, there are two sides of the court. Shaq never understood that but I hope you do.

You are a strange fellow. Not sure why you are trying to flame here. :banana:

Shaq has a higher career scoring average. Hakeem never averaged over 28 points per game in his career. Shaq did it four times. Their rebounds and blocks are a wash (Shaq averaged about one rebound more game and the Dream about 1/2 a block per game. I'm not trying to take anything away from Hakeem, he was one of my favs back in the day, but I also try to have a little common sense too.

Four titles > Two titles

Shaq's stats > Dreams stats

Shaq's D < Dreams D

Shaq wins two out of the 3.

Sure it is close but it seems pretty cut and dry to me.

He couldn't even beat Russell, now you want him to play 4 other people too?

Wilt's TEAM had trouble beating Russell's TEAM in the playoffs. Doesn't mean that Wilt didn't make Russell look silly.

Wilt is the greatest basketball player of all time, clearly the most dominant, and he wasn't even trying all that hard most of the time.

Wilt's TEAM had trouble beating Russell's TEAM in the playoffs. Doesn't mean that Wilt didn't make Russell look silly.

Wilt is the greatest basketball player of all time, clearly the most dominant, and he wasn't even trying all that hard most of the time.

MJ is the best ever.

In Wilt's day he went up against many centers that were as tall as MJ.

You are a strange fellow. Not sure why you are trying to flame here. :first:

Shaq has a higher career scoring average. Hakeem never averaged over 28 points per game in his career. Shaq did it four times. Their rebounds and blocks are a wash (Shaq averaged about one rebound more game and the Dream about 1/2 a block per game. I'm not trying to take anything away from Hakeem, he was one of my favs back in the day, but I also try to have a little common sense too.

Four titles > Two titles

Shaq's stats > Dreams stats

LOL you didn't even answer my other question. Who is the better defensive player? I'll answer it for you. Hakeem, and it's not even close. I might at least consider Shaq if he had EVER played defense. but he didn't. I would never even consider someone for an "all nba" team if they never played defense. Shaq won titles because of the other players on his teams, especially Kobe Bryant and Dwayne Wade. Using titles as your criteria for who is better is ridiculous. I guess Robert Horry is better than Shaq using your criteria!!! :banana:

When you get to play a large portion of your career with one of the greatest players in the NBA and both players are in their prime it makes it alot easier. Name the greatest player Dream played with when both were in their prime.

LOL you didn't even answer my other question. Who is the better defensive player? I'll answer it for you. Hakeem, and it's not even close. I might at least consider Shaq if he had EVER played defense. but he didn't. I would never even consider someone for an "all nba" team if they never played defense. Shaq won titles because of the other players on his teams, especially Kobe Bryant and Dwayne Wade. Using titles as your criteria for who is better is ridiculous. I guess Robert Horry is better than Shaq using your criteria!!! :banana:

I now see why Toro and RLLD laugh at you.

I edited my post for you. And btw, titles are important, but only a portion of it. Nobody ever said it was the only criteria. Geez man. :first:

1. Magic

2. Jordan

3. Bird

4. Duncan

5. Wilt

Bench

G. Oscar R.

G. Kobe

G. Isiah

F. Dr J

F. Malone ( I hate him though)

F. Lebron

C. Kareem

I now see why Toro and RLLD laugh at you.

Why, because I make a logical case and they can't respond, just like you in this case? Respond to my points:

Did/does Shaq play D? So you answered it with a simple "<"? LOL. It's more like "shaq's D <<<<<<<< Hakeem's D". Isn't D important?

Who else of note did Hakeem play with? As noted above it's easy to win titles when you have one of the top 5 players to ever play the game as your sidekick. So, do you think the teams Shaq has been on are better than the ones Hakeem played on? I don't.

So, what do we have? Hakeem won two titles on much lesser teams, actually plays D, and the one time they went head to head schooled Shaq despite Shaq's superior size. Yeah, I can see why you'd rank Shaq higher than Dream.

NOT!!!

:thumbsup:

When you get to play a large portion of your career with one of the greatest players in the NBA and both players are in their prime it makes it alot easier. Name the greatest player Dream played with when both were in their prime.

Now this is a legit question. And we all know (except for Strike) that there are never any true answers in questions like these. It's alot of opinion involved kinda like the famous greatest QB debate. However don't act as if Hakeems team was a bunch of scrubs (Cassell, Kenny Smith, Horry,Thorpe) were all pretty damn good players. He couldn't get it done with the Twin Towers earlier in his career. They also won titles against a VERY young Magic team and a Knicks team that imploded. Well at least John Starks anyway.

It's an interesting debate, but IMO Shaq was more dominant for longer, and has more titles, sure Hakeem was better on D, but Shaq in his prime wasn't chopped liver either. BTW, how many titles has Kobe and D-Wade won WITHOUT Shaq? :thumbsup:

MJ is the best ever.

In Wilt's day he went up against many centers that were as tall as MJ.

While Wilt played against numerous Hall of Famers, Michael Jordan played in a league with diluted talent levels from expansion, adding many more teams than thje days when Wilt played tough competition every night.

Michael was very good. But Wilt dominated the league so much, they had to keep changing the rules.

Why all the love for Dr. J? I mean, he was great and all, but to list him as one of the top 12 players of all time is a giant stretch.

I have no problem w/ Hakeem over shaq. Hakeem's my favorite ever. That being said, I think Wilt & Kareem are 1 & 2 bigmen.

You can't have this conversation w/out considering K. Malone at the 4. I mean he completely redefined the roll. I'm not saying he's the single best, but he needs to be on the team.

Isiah was good, but doesn't belong on the list.

Michael was very good. But Wilt dominated the league so much, they had to keep changing the rules.

They changed the rules for Shaq too. The " you can't foul off the ball in the final two minutes" rule is a direct result of Shaq's inability to make an unguarded 15 foot shot!!! :thumbsup:

Russell played center. Not the 4.

If we can mix up positions I'll just stick Jordan and Kobe in my starting back court. No way Magic can guard either of them, and I think they can hold him in check.

Why all the love for Dr. J? I mean, he was great and all, but to list him as one of the top 12 players of all time is a giant stretch.

I have no problem w/ Hakeem over shaq. Hakeem's my favorite ever. That being said, I think Wilt & Kareem are 1 & 2 bigmen.

You can't have this conversation w/out considering K. Malone at the 4. I mean he completely redefined the roll. I'm not saying he's the single best, but he needs to be on the team.

Isiah was good, but doesn't belong on the list.

Holy crap. I agree with everything you said.

Oh, and Moz, it's too early to even put Lebron on the waiting list. Sorry......

I agree he isn't a top 12 player. But he played the 3. That's probably the weakest position in NBA history. Gotta have a backup there behind Bird.

If it was just top 12 players, the list would likely have 5 centers and 5 guards before we even get to a forward with the possible exception of Bird.

While Wilt played against numerous Hall of Famers, Michael Jordan played in a league with diluted talent levels from expansion, adding many more teams than thje days when Wilt played tough competition every night.

Wilt was 7'1, a freak for his day. Centers at that time were 6'6-6'9 usually some exceptions here or there. As far as best player Wilt isn't up there, neither is Shaq. They both played 5 feet from the rim at all times, and couldn't shoot a FT better than my 10 year old nephew. That isn't much skill.

Was Wilt the most dominate player ever, yes, most likely. Shaq would most likely be the 2nd most dominate, and SHaq dominated bigger players.

MJ played in a time of Bird Magic and Isiah all make the lists above. He played Stockton and Malone, Ewing and the solid Knicks teams. Drexlor. He played some very good players.

The best player ever is MJ. Most dominate is Wilt. 2 different things.

Wilt was 7'1, a freak for his day. Centers at that time were 6'6-6'9 usually some exceptions here or there. As far as best player Wilt isn't up there, neither is Shaq. They both played 5 feet from the rim at all times, and couldn't shoot a FT better than my 10 year old nephew. That isn't much skill.

Was Wilt the most dominate player ever, yes, most likely. Shaq would most likely be the 2nd most dominate, and SHaq dominated bigger players.

MJ played in a time of Bird Magic and Isiah all make the lists above. He played Stockton and Malone, Ewing and the solid Knicks teams. Drexlor. He played some very good players.

The best player ever is MJ. Most dominate is Wilt. 2 different things.

We will never change each others minds.

I'll simply point out that being tall does not equate to success, as we see a hell of a lot of stiffs over 7 feet tall. Wilt was amazing. He declared in preseason one year that he was going to go out and lead the league in assists that year. And did it. I think the big men were more physical in his time, but maybe that's just me. Jordan could elevate over just about any player guarding him, so in a sense he was taller than the other players on the court as well. Different players, different eras, hard to compare. I do believe that Wilt is the greatest athlete of all time, and was bored for long stretches of time because of how much he dominated his sport.

Now this is a legit question. And we all know (except for Strike) that there are never any true answers in questions like these. It's alot of opinion involved kinda like the famous greatest QB debate. However don't act as if Hakeems team was a bunch of scrubs (Cassell, Kenny Smith, Horry,Thorpe) were all pretty damn good players. He couldn't get it done with the Twin Towers earlier in his career. They also won titles against a VERY young Magic team and a Knicks team that imploded. Well at least John Starks anyway.

It's an interesting debate, but IMO Shaq was more dominant for longer, and has more titles, sure Hakeem was better on D, but Shaq in his prime wasn't chopped liver either. BTW, how many titles has Kobe and D-Wade won WITHOUT Shaq? :thumbsup:

We will never agree for the reasons you stated but the only people that think Kenny Smith was a "pretty damn good player" are Kenny Smith and his momma. And the others were only marginally better than Kenny.

We were debating this in the office yesterday and here is the consensus we came up with up. Wondering if you fellas thought different.

Starters

C- Wilt

PF - Russell

SF - Oscar

SG - Micheal

PG - Magic

Bench:

G- Isiah

G- Kobe

G- West

F- Dr J

F- Bird

F- Malone

C- Kareem

also mentioned

Pistol Pete

Moses Malone

LeBron

Bird and Kobe on the bench?? They both would be in my starting 5.

Bird and Kobe on the bench?? They both would be in my starting 5.

You'd play kobe over MJ? kobe over Oscar?

We will never change each others minds.

I'll simply point out that being tall does not equate to success, as we see a hell of a lot of stiffs over 7 feet tall. Wilt was amazing. He declared in preseason one year that he was going to go out and lead the league in assists that year. And did it. I think the big men were more physical in his time, but maybe that's just me. Jordan could elevate over just about any player guarding him, so in a sense he was taller than the other players on the court as well. Different players, different eras, hard to compare. I do believe that Wilt is the greatest athlete of all time, and was bored for long stretches of time because of how much he dominated his sport.

Bill Russell wouldn't motivate him? More titles?

My starting five:

Russell

Bird

MJ

Kobe

Magic

I would put MJ at forward just to have him in there.

We will never agree for the reasons you stated but the only people that think Kenny Smith was a "pretty damn good player" are Kenny Smith and his momma. And the others were only marginally better than Kenny.

They only exceptional player Hakeem played with during those years was Drexler the mercenary, but it was at the tail end of his career. Still a very good player but it wouldn't push either of those teams anywhere near the level of the teams Shaq played on when he won his championships.