Sign in to follow this  
Jetdoc

4th Round Commentary

I'll admit I thought Clash would've only taken one of those WRs and I was looking for the other on the back end.... so that plan backfired... so it was between 2 others. One was a safe pick but I decided to roll the dice on Turner. This goes against everything I usually follow in drafting. Not only is Turner not proven as a starter, he's also on a new team with a rookie QB. All that being said, ATL has been a good running team the last few years, doesn't play in a particularly strong defensive division and with all the money they gave Turner he's going to get every opportunity to succeed in ATL. So this is my "upside" pick.

I was hoping that Turner would make it back to me at 4.06...wishful thinking.

He's a really good choice here. Nice pick, JScott.

jscott, i was very surprised if there were WRs you wanted that you picked jacobs instead. clash already had 2 top shelf (in his mind) rbs.

at the same time, i like the turner pick. i thought he'd have gone around mid 3rd, where people like edge and ronnie went instead. this is probably about the right spot for him, a very solid RB2 type with good fresh, young upside.

i would have bet money on both of those two picks. and i would have won. :wall:

Yep.....me too, but there is one pick out there that trumps these. I like the turner pick in round 4. I posted over at SO that I liked Turner as a #3 Rb in round 4 or 5. He could really pay out large, and he won't burn you from the 4th in my opinion. I like your draft thru 4 now JScott. :dunno:

jscott, i was very surprised if there were WRs you wanted that you picked jacobs instead. clash already had 2 top shelf (in his mind) rbs.

It was a gamble. And there's another player still undrafted that I thought would be his other pick, but I'll edit this post when that player is taken.

Chad and Boldin on the corner solidifies Clash's roster. I just don't have a feel on anything that is bengal this year! I think the Coach screwed the pooch and lost this team and his window. Will Boldin play mad or just be mad? These two have great potential, just not lots of certainty.

Though Rb heavy, this isn't like the traditional Jetdoc draft. Without researching it, I bet there are more non backs gone then usual at this point.

Though Rb heavy, this isn't like the traditional Jetdoc draft. Without researching it, I bet there are more non backs gone then usual at this point.

17 non RBs through 4.2

16 non RBs through 4.2

15 non RBs through 4.2

Not a huge difference.

I'll play the discerning opinion:

CJ and Boldin are decent picks here value wise, but not without their question marks and neither a slam dunk: CJ's problems well documented...hold out could be BS, but it's still a concern either way.

And Boldin has played a full season just 2 of 5 years.

Decent last year, but due to skewed numbers due to td's...not sure the cards QB situation is settled or not, but that's a question in itself.

Clash's is a HUGE boom or bust team right now IMO.

I'm so so on the Turner pick, 4th rnd sounds about right, but still see a few other players/RBs I may have gone with first.

Still, again, likely about right.

Thoughts on Holmes pick here? Too early? About right?

On him overall?

Kid had 52/940/8 in his sophomore season in just 13 games.

Even say 75 recs and you'd be looking at 1350yds and I'd say 9-11tds.

Making him an ideal #2 for me...see low end him holding his value and being a solid #2, with potential for a solid #1 campaign.

On him overall?

Making him an ideal #2 for me...see low end him holding his value and being a solid #2, with potential for a solid #1 campaign.

It's always nice to pick players on their way up in terms of production as opposed to on their way down. Seemed like a good pick to me.

i figured santonio would go around 4th or early 5th at the latest. its a tad earlier than i expected with some other options there, but cant argue much with it. im not super high on him, a combination of being injured often and also not getting a ton of passes. its hard to be consistently productive when you are only getting like 3 or 4 catches a game most of the time. one of those guys you have to cross your fingers and hope its one of the days he catches a long pass. i personally dont like to build around those type of guys. he looks like the next santana moss to me. someone who could well finish in the top 10 or close, but too inconsistent for my taste.

On him overall?

he was the 2nd wideout on my board at this point. With Ben wanting to air it out more it should be just fine.

i actually thought the same thing. though there were a lot of RBs in the second half of the 3rd round that probably helped even things back out. i bet if you compared the top 30 picks, it might be a bit different.

I was hoping that Turner would make it back to me at 4.06...wishful thinking.

He's a really good choice here. Nice pick, JScott.

Like the Turner pick in the 4th as well :doublethumbsup: With as RB heavy as this place typically goes, I'm actually suprised he lasted this long.

i figured santonio would go around 4th or early 5th at the latest. its a tad earlier than i expected with some other options there, but cant argue much with it. im not super high on him, a combination of being injured often and also not getting a ton of passes. its hard to be consistently productive when you are only getting like 3 or 4 catches a game most of the time. one of those guys you have to cross your fingers and hope its one of the days he catches a long pass. i personally dont like to build around those type of guys. he looks like the next santana moss to me. someone who could well finish in the top 10 or close, but too inconsistent for my taste.

Well I'm not building around him...he would be my #2 behind a solid safe #1.

Good pt about the catches but we've been down this road before...WRs are inconsistent by nature, you take the good games with the bad....5 catches a game is 80 in season, so you'll get some 3 rec games and you'll get some 7-8rec games. Even 96recs is just 6 a game...same thing.

We'll continue as we go as I actually curious to who else you'd consider here as the others I considered have question marks of their own.

I went McFadden here for a couple of reasons:

I almost went with a certain WR, but I wanted to solidify my RB corps because it's Marion Barber's first year in the starter's role and Parker has the fibula injury to overcome as well as some rookie competition. Last year, if anything, taught us that rookies can and often do have a significant impact in the NFL, especially at the running back position. And while I'm not expecting ADP-like production from McFadden this season, the potential is there. Also, Oakland's offense is improving and already has a solid rush game (Fargas rushed for over 1,000 yards last year), and McFadden is going to see a significant amount of carries this season, his draft position almost necessitates it.

I felt like i needed to take a risk, and that if i didn't grab a RB here the value would have dropped off in the next round. I'm also a believer in finding solid WRs in the mid to late rounds. We'll see how it turns out.

i actually thought the same thing. though there were a lot of RBs in the second half of the 3rd round that probably helped even things back out. i bet if you compared the top 30 picks, it might be a bit different.

13 this year, 10 last year, 12 in 06.

I am not thrilled with the Graham pick here, but the drop-off after him is a bit too steep for me to pass him up. I was hoping somehow that Turner might fall here and began to gain hope when nearly everyone in front of me in round four already had two running backs. But, alas, too many guys in this draft pick their third RB in Round Four and I felt my choices were a bit limited. There is also some regret (not much, though) in taking Brady seeing as a QB I really like is still available at this spot. The drop from Brady to that QB would not be as steep as the drop from a RB like Gore or Barber to Graham...thus, I learned something significant here. That's what I like about this mock and the June Mock...by the time they're both over, I've learned a lot about that particular year's draft dynamics.

Oh well....if Cadillac can't get back on the field, Graham should get solid touches on 1st and 2nd downs and on the goal line.

I am not thrilled with the Graham pick here, but the drop-off after him is a bit too steep for me to pass him up. I was hoping somehow that Turner might fall here and began to gain hope when nearly everyone in front of me in round four already had two running backs. But, alas, too many guys in this draft pick their third RB in Round Four and I felt my choices were a bit limited. There is also some regret (not much, though) in taking Brady seeing as a QB I really like is still available at this spot. The drop from Brady to that QB would not be as steep as the drop from a RB like Gore or Barber to Graham...thus, I learned something significant here. That's what I like about this mock and the June Mock...by the time they're both over, I've learned a lot about that particular year's draft dynamics.

Oh well....if Cadillac can't get back on the field, Graham should get solid touches on 1st and 2nd downs and on the goal line.

I almost took Earnest one spot ahead of you, but went to fill the starting lineup requirements and took Wes Welker over a 3rd RB. In Moz's league, I actually ended up with Wes and Earnest (as well as Jamal). :overhead:

Good night, everybody. GREAT first day for this mock.

Yeah, I'm not liking this slot at all. Another drop off at this point, and the two #2 WR's that I was targeting dropped, as expected, in the early 4th.

I had Jones even with Turner and Graham at this point, so I decided to take him when I took a look at how the rosters were developing. He's not a bad 3rd RB (I believe he gained 1,000+ yards last year), especially in case if one of my other two risky RB's go down.

I figured McFadden would go in the early 4th, who was the person I was really targeting here if I didn't get the couple of wideouts I was looking for.

i knew it was too good to be true, but i had hoped thomas jones would fall just a couple of more spots. hes a top 10 RB for me, and i might have done myself well to take him at 3.4 all things considered, but i thought the drop at WR would be greater. havent been able to figure out yet if i was right or not.

im assuming old man RC is in bed already. im headed there myself soon. i sent my 4.9 pick to robb and will check in around 10 cst to make the next pick. :overhead:

Yep.....me too, but there is one pick out there that trumps these. I like the turner pick in round 4.

I was speaking of Thomas Jones above.

im assuming old man RC is in bed already. im headed there myself soon. i sent my 4.9 pick to robb and will check in around 10 cst to make the next pick. :thumbsup:

I stayed up to just past 10:00. That is a 2008 record for me! :doublethumbsup:

What an awesome pick at 4.08. Had I known Drew Brees would be available at 4.06, I would have likely passed on Brady at 1.07 even though he was the top player on my board at that time. It's something to think about as the summer progresses. After all, if I take, say, Frank Gore instead of Brady at 1.07, my team looks like this:

Drew Brees

Frank Gore

Laurence Maroney

Terrell Owens

Instead, it looks like this:

Tom Brady

Laurence Maroney

Earnest Graham

Terrell Owens

Still, not bad....but not what it could have been, IMO. I know most of you guys like to wait on a QB, but passing on Brees in the fourth given the drop-off behind him seems foolhardy to me. Great pick-up, RC.....

So, Robb has Da Bomb's pick at 4.09, correct?

I considered Brees last time around along with Earnest. :banana:

I figured Brees would fall there, and that Fumble would react accordingly. This is why, yet again every year, I am against that super early QB.

I was evaluating whether or not I'd want to take Brees with either of my picks. He is my #4 QB. But I'd have passed on him for sure at this 4.9 and he wouldve been a backup backup plan at 5.4. im pretty much positive i can get my #5 or 6 QB well later, and not so with the RB or WR talent here.

Should be interesting to get a reaction on this one. Calvin was the highest player on my board.... at my last pick. I wasn't positive I could wait for the wrap around to get him at 5.4 now and it's too much of a drop for me to have risked. He is my #8 WR, ahead of guys like Marshall, Housh, Colston, Boldin, Holt. He fits every profile of a breakout bigtime WR for me and gives me 3 of my top 10 WRs to go with Westbrook. By my rankings at least, it's a pick that makes my draft. I'll wager that most others will think about the opposite.

It was a gamble. And there's another player still undrafted that I thought would be his other pick, but I'll edit this post when that player is taken.

Ok, it was a gamble and it didn't work out perfectly but approaching the 3/4 turn here are the players that I saw out there who I thought Clash would be considering....

Brandon Jacobs

Chad Johnson / Anquan Boldin

Drew Brees

They were the top players at their positions on my board. And I thought...

1.) If I take CJ or AB (at 3.11) Clash would take Jacobs and Anquan or CJ, leaving me Brees (and RB-WR-WR-QB) - didn't like that start.

OR

2.) If I take Jacobs, Clash would take either CJ & AB or one of the WRs and Brees, leaving me either a WR (RB-WR-RB-WR) or Brees (RB-WR-RB-QB). I preferred/hoped the first option, but was ok with the second.

So that's why I didn't take a WR at 3.11 at the time. In hindsight, maybe Clash doesn't take Jacobs (option 1) and I could have got a WR and Jacobs. At the time I also wasn't considering Turner at all either. If I thought about it longer I might have done things differently but I rushed it a bit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

As for the 4.02 decision....

I was all set to take Brees (great pick IMO Remote). He's consistently put up 4400+ the last two seasons and close to 30 TDs. Those numbers put him even with Manning last season (yes, I know Manning had a down year). BUT it would have been another safe pick for my team, and sticking to my drafting guidelines I think the drop off to the next tier of QBs isn't that much. So I started to look elsewhere at WR and RB. Didn't like the options at WR, so I rolled the dice on Turner. With the huge upside he has.

Yeah, I hated passing on Brees at 4.07 (which is a tremendous value this late), but I really couldn't pass on Jones at my pick.

is brees really a "tremendous" value at this point? that seems like about where he ought to go, other than perhaps a couple picks too low.