Sign in to follow this  
Jetdoc

8th/9th Round Commentary

I'll think a bit about that...the reason that I trimmed out TE, K and DEF from the draft previously was to focus primarily on those players where we have questions...which usually are at the QB, RB and WR slots. TE's haven't had that much difference in their production historically.

However, with the crazy influx of good TE's in the NFL, it may be time to change that.

I really like your idea of no K or DEF, but I don't know I find it difficult personally to gauge where to draft a TE when one is not required. You're right this year it does seem harder than ever with many more good TEs out there.

i completely agree, i also wish this was TE mandatory. forget K and D, no one cares about that, but its become more and more vital to get the right TE in the right spot, and it would add another level of strategy to this draft as well.

robb - Martz has never historically used a TE in a positive way fantasy wise. However, he has also never had a TE as capable as VD. Do you think he will try to get TEs more involved this year than he has in the past? I'm not sure how good of a blocker he is, but I think that's what Martz likes to use them for primarily - except near the goal line.

I selected him based nothing more on him being a wide receiver lined up as a Tight End. He is the #1 option in SF right now, and I think gives me 4 respectable receiving threats! I thought about Cooley also. More on him later!

i dont get the selvin love personally. i wont drop names, but i dont believe hes even the second RB there anymore.

Bomb's clairvoyant... you're right he's the #1 now :ninja:

hmmmm decisions decisions...

aw what the heck, what are mocks for? screw backup qb, this is my ticket to a real QB. there are 7 QBs left im comfortable with, and i count only 5 off the board before i pick again.

pittman? right place, right time. and no, the irony of the fumble pick does not escape me. :unsure:

Somehow Denver gets rid of their starting RB and they're already saying (on CBS SPortsline) there are 4 RBs there who will be more involved or have their chance now. One vet, one rook and 2 youngsters.

I said it before and I'll say it again. I choose not to draft Denver RBs. :unsure:

I said it before and I'll say it again. I choose not to draft Denver RBs. :huh:

:overhead: Fock Skull face. :headbanger:

I have always liked Cooley and can't find a better or more consistent choice for my #4 receiver. I read this just last week that Cooley, in 3 seasons, has never caught less than 57 passes, for 734 yards or 6 touchdowns. It's nice that he and Campbell are best friends, and he is the safety blanket.

Cooley's already gone, remote at 8.11. Pick again.

I have always liked Cooley and can't find a better or more consistent choice for my #4 receiver. I read this just last week that Cooley, in 3 seasons, has never caught less than 57 passes, for 734 yards or 6 touchdowns. It's nice that he and Campbell are best friends, and he is the safety blanket.

V4E will be very happy you liked his Cooley pick so much :rolleyes:

I have Clark with equal TD production (7) as Cooley, but 100 leass yards on the year, so I will insert him. He and Manning might, or might not be best buddies, but Manning came out immediately after last season asking them to pay Dallas, and Utecht is gone. He scavenged afew Td's last year.

I have Clark with equal TD production (7) as Cooley, but 100 leass yards on the year, so I will insert him. He and Manning might, or might not be best buddies, but Manning came out immediately after last season asking them to pay Dallas, and Utecht is gone. He scavenged afew Td's last year.

Clark was 2nd on my list of WRs/TEs.

My previously picked WRs are kind of boom or bust. Cooley is practically a lock for 700 yards and 6-8 TDs. I went for his consistency over Clark's potential.

My thoughts on Chris Brown:

1. He is the Texans' best runner

2. He is PERFECT for the one-cut system that Alex Gibbs is putting in place there.

3. He could easily average 100 yards a game if he gets 300+ carries

4. It is likely that none of the above matters because he gets hurt tying his shoes.

Nice pick with Porter...I had a tough time choosing between him and Moss at my pick.

Chris Brown was tempting as well...I'm not sure if Brown will come in and be "the man" or if he'll be another version of Ron Dayne in the Texans offense.

My thoughts on Chris Brown:

4. It is likely that none of the above matters because he gets hurt tying his shoes.

:headbanger:

Two possibilities. Hurt back bending over to tie shoes or foot bruise from tying his shoes too tight.

Nice pick of Deuce Shane. I have to admit, when I made my pick of Caddy I did it via my Blackberry while I was out so I didn't have my sheets in front of me. If I had I would have taken Deuce instead. When I realized I messed up I didn't want to say anything especially when he started falling. Real surprised some other RBs were taken before him.

Nice pick of Deuce Shane. I have to admit, when I made my pick of Caddy I did it via my Blackberry while I was out so I didn't have my sheets in front of me. If I had I would have taken Deuce instead. When I realized I messed up I didn't want to say anything especially when he started falling. Real surprised some other RBs were taken before him.

deuce was a great pick. he's been on my short list since the 6th when i took ahman barely over him. he'll be very solid again with plenty of TDs if he can just be healthy. a wonderful RB3 imo.

sometimes long term potential merits a wait before it can be reached.

We all know that rookie Rb's don't have a prayer to succeed in they're rookie year. It is almost like that rule where 31 year old runningbacks with degenerative knee problems should never be selected!! :wave:

I like the Norwood pick. I had he, Selvin, and Chris penciled in for my Rb #4. He will still get a piece of that pie, given his receiving abilty.

We all know that rookie Rb's don't have a prayer to succeed in they're rookie year. It is almost like that rule where 31 year old runningbacks with degenerative knee problems should never be selected!! :wave:

it was a starting RB in the 7th round for a team that will be in the top half of the league rushing this year. not sure how bad it couldve gone for me.

and i never said that johnson wont get used this year, but the logic that "he was a first rounder so of course they'll play him immediately" gets used every year and only rarely actually works.

maybe its just me, but YIKES. :wave: youre going to be looking at a guy youre hoping to get triple digit points by the time you take a starter in the 10th.

Mason got 138pts last season. I expect those numbers to drop with the loss of McNair. But whichever QB takes over I expect Mason to still be the #1 passing target in 08 and still score 100+. He's definitely on the list of "boring, solid, consistent vets".

A surprising stat to me was that Mason had the 4th most targets of all WRs last year.

Mason got 138pts last season. I expect those numbers to drop with the loss of McNair. But whichever QB takes over I expect Mason to still be the #1 passing target in 08 and still score 100+. He's definitely on the list of "boring, solid, consistent vets".

A surprising stat to me was that Mason had the 4th most targets of all WRs last year.

mason is definitely a good land this late. last year he got a ton of short crap out passes, but those add up, especially in PPR leagues. even so, i like mason and the cagey vets, and i think hes around 30 or 35 on my list. youre right -- WR3 is the easiest spot to fill in a lineup. and if this draft was even TE mandatory (forget K / D), i could see waiting until 9.11, but i just dont see how it makes a lot of sense otherwise. on the plus side, you look like the person id probably target in a trade once you realize you need a WR and you let me give you donald driver for ben roethlisberger. :wave:

it was a starting RB in the 7th round for a team that will be in the top half of the league rushing this year. not sure how bad it couldve gone for me.

and i never said that johnson wont get used this year, but the logic that "he was a first rounder so of course they'll play him immediately" gets used every year and only rarely actually works.

Below is a summary of his playtime last year. I just wonder why that is any better than taking a chance on fresh young legs. We all have to take chances in this very subjective sport.

Week 1 - Green looked good in his new home. As the top backfield option for the Texans, he evoked memories of his tremendous performances with the Packers. He was steady while compiling 96 yards on 20 touches. Most important, he looked healthy, strong, and ready to have a solid season.

Week 2 - Green had 71 yards on 15 carries and scored once. Green was used in the first half but did not have a carry after the halfway point of the third quarter. Green ran untouched on a 13 yard touchdown run, his longest of the day. Green had two of the three carries inside the Carolina red zone.

After the game Coach Kubiak had this to say about Green's loss of touches as the game wore on: "He's been cramping a little bit, and Ronnie is a big pounder at the end of the game. We were playing the game smart at the end, trying to do nothing to beat ourselves. So we were just smart right there and went running."

Week 3 - Green did little in the game before leaving with a knee injury in the second quarter. He did appear to be injured on the first offensive play of the day, but came back in to play one additional quarter.

Week 5 - Green was inactive for the game due to a knee injury.

Week 6 - Green returned to the lineup after missing three games with a bruised knee. He was only able to average 2.8 yards per carry against the stout Jaguar defense, and added just two receptions for four yards. Samkon Gado replaced him in the lineup with 5:41 left in the game.

Week 7 - The Texans' rush game struggled again early in the game as Green only had four yards on three carries in the first quarter. He would break off an 11 yard run in the second quarter on a third and long play, but he finished the first half with only 15 yards rushing and two catches for nine yards. Things didn't go much better for Green rushing the ball in the second half, as he only had 24 yards in the half. He had three catches for 23 yards in the second half.

Week 9 - Ahman Green took the ball 53 yards on a screen pass on the first drive of the game. Later on that drive, he motored right over DB Stuart Schweigert for a touchdown. In the second quarter, Green limped off the field. He did not return.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He has Chris Brown , and I believe Darius walker to spell him. I guess I just don't see a guy who has had only 70 carries in two out of his last three seasons, magically getting healthy and making it 16 games. I'll take the young legs.

e-mail sent to Clash.

Three more rounds to go - I have a feeling that this will be over within the next 48 hours without much effort.

so ahman looked very good for the team in limited action last year before getting hurt. im aware of that. you also failed to mention the previous five years of 250+ carries that he survived just fine.

bottom line:

1) he looked great when he played last year.

2) ron dayne was a viable fantasy RB2 last year while he was playing due to everyone's injuries. ron dayne!

3) alex gibbs is there now. he is a magic man.

4) if healthy, he will be given every opportunity to start and play.

all of those are four undeniable facts. and as a RB3 that i want to rely on some steady points from and with a long shot at some upside, thats what i want.

perhaps i can put it in other terms that fit a little better.

1) ahman green will be running behind a better line than edgerrin james.

2) ahman green plays on a team that will be emphasizing the run game unlike edgerrin james.

3) ahman green has logged a whole 1000 less touches in his NFL career than edgerrin james.

4) ahman green has a mastermind run game artist in his pocket and edgerrin james does not.

5) ahman green was the 76th pick of this draft. edgerrin james was the 29th.

personally i have them right about equal in stats. they are desperate-times RB2s or great RB3s. they have no real upside but a long shot at the glory years, and plenty of age and injury history to give them downside. id happily take either of them as a decent RB filler so that im not screwed by drafting only 2 RBs, a bye week or spot start guy. nothing more. nothing less.

besides, ahman green got handed a big contract last year. that means they have to play him right away, and lots!! :(

so ahman looked very good for the team in limited action last year before getting hurt. im aware of that. you also failed to mention the previous five years of 250+ carries that he survived just fine.

bottom line:

1) he looked great when he played last year.

2) ron dayne was a viable fantasy RB2 last year while he was playing due to everyone's injuries. ron dayne!

3) alex gibbs is there now. he is a magic man.

4) if healthy, he will be given every opportunity to start and play.

all of those are four undeniable facts. and as a RB3 that i want to rely on some steady points from and with a long shot at some upside, thats what i want.

perhaps i can put it in other terms that fit a little better.

1) ahman green will be running behind a better line than edgerrin james.

2) ahman green plays on a team that will be emphasizing the run game unlike edgerrin james.

3) ahman green has logged a whole 1000 less touches in his NFL career than edgerrin james.

4) ahman green has a mastermind run game artist in his pocket and edgerrin james does not.

5) ahman green was the 76th pick of this draft. edgerrin james was the 29th.

personally i have them right about equal in stats. they are desperate-times RB2s or great RB3s. they have no real upside but a long shot at the glory years, and plenty of age and injury history to give them downside. id happily take either of them as a decent RB filler so that im not screwed by drafting only 2 RBs, a bye week or spot start guy. nothing more. nothing less.

besides, ahman green got handed a big contract last year. that means they have to play him right away, and lots!! :(

He only looked good in 1 game and 3 qtr's period. Edge had 1200 yards last year (1500 combined). What you think they'll get this year is simply that.............your thoughts. I have some some thoughts too. I guess you couldn't fight the arguement of the young legs vs. the old legs so you went with two backs with old legs. The difference is one of those old backs played a wholle year and got 1200 yards the other got 70 carries. It is great you go off your own projections, but that does not make them scripture.

Here are some valid facts:

Edge rushed for 1548, 1506, 1159, and 1232 yards over the past 4 seasons. Green rushed for 1163, 255,1059, and 260 yards over the same 4 seasons. That is magically gonna change this year? funny! Edge has missed 1 game in 4 years and green has missed 24, so I guess your arguement about carries is mute! Edge has ranked 6th, 5th, 20th, and 10th in Fantasy scoring over the past 4 years. Green has ranked 13th, 70th, 15th, and 64th.

Personally I find it interesting you have them about equal in stats this year. Your points 1 thru 5 above had better help him a bunch!!! Hopefully we return to a talk about young legs over Green's old broke ones, cuz rumor has it Johnson has about 1950 less carries than Ahman!

youre talking in circles, ive got nothing to add to that. you already know what i think about chris johnson from "the other site." heck i never even said much about the pick here, im only disagreeing with your idea that he will automatically play a lot right away since he was a 1st round pick. we're done here, agree to disagree as always. :thumbsup:

youre talking in circles, ive got nothing to add to that. you already know what i think about chris johnson from "the other site." heck i never even said much about the pick here, im only disagreeing with your idea that he will automatically play a lot right away since he was a 1st round pick. we're done here, agree to disagree as always. :thumbsup:

Not automatically get anything, but he has as good a chance as another handfull of rookie backs to get his chance. I can always agree to disagree. :)

I don't know what you're both arguing about. Chris Brown is going to be the man in Houston. :thumbsup:

Until injury strikes

Edge Vs. White

Edge- 324 carries for 1232 yards (3.8 ypc.) 25 receptions for 196 yards (7.8 ypr.) 1428 combined with 7 Td's. 10th overall in fantasy scoring with no competiton.

White- 304 carries for 1108 yards (3.6 ypc.) 20 receptions for 114 yards (5.1 ypr.) 1222 combined with 7 td's. 15th overall in fantasy scoring, with a rookie taking 3rd downs.

Now if Edge is a "desperate-times RB2s or great RB3s" what is White?

Bomb says White is better this year........."So let it be written, so let it be done!" :wink:

like i said, i have them all about the same. those stats look awfully similar to me, plus white was playing with a meniscus injury all season.

all of them suck equally. theyre all mediocre guys youre not going to get excited about having, but they'll get the job done if the rest of your team picks up the slack. between lendale and ahman, that's really all i'd be hoping for. keep me close at RB2 and let westy and my WRs do the rest.

like i said, i have them all about the same. those stats look awfully similar to me, plus white was playing with a meniscus injury all season.

all of them suck equally. theyre all mediocre guys youre not going to get excited about having, but they'll get the job done if the rest of your team picks up the slack. between lendale and ahman, that's really all i'd be hoping for. keep me close at RB2 and let westy and my WRs do the rest.

..............as long as you have both colors sucking equally to Edge :thumbsdown: I have to stick up for my picks just like you stick up for yours. It is all good! :shocking: I cannot see any problem drafting either the #10 Rb last year (Edge) or the #15 Rb last year ( White) as #2 rb's for any team.