Sign in to follow this  
rsekine

Why FFtoday Ranks Kevin Smith Over Gore?

Hello, although Gore is a top 10 ADP, and Kevin Smith is a Rookie late 20s ADP behind a suspect OL, Gore is ranked well behind Smith on your projections and Compiler. Can someone involved with the ranking explain to me why? I had Gore last year. His coach on offense sucked big time, and Gore still finished a top fantasy 10 back. His number in receptions should go up this year, and TDs too. Gore also runs hard and gives 100 %. Smith has a suspect OL, and carried too many balls in College. Do you guys have a man crush on Kevin Smith?

Because roughly 50% of the top 10 RBs each year get replaced.

Who could have predicted AD would end up the 3rd best RB, despite missing or being pretty much ineffective half the year? Or that Jamal Lewis would have a resurgence, ending up at the 6th best?

I don't agree with the prediction, but sh*t happens.

maybe its because martz is afraid to run?

jdon

I find this questionable too. Kevin smith had 450 carries in college last year alone!! While it's true that 50% of backs from last year won't be in the top 10 next year, that alone isn't enough to justify replacing Gore with Smith.

Here's how I see it: Gore has more potential than Kevin Smith in PPR settings. Gore is the best player on his team, while that award on the lions goes to Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson. Martz is wacky, but he's not an idiot. How could he air it out like he did last year when he doesn't have the same talent at QB and WR?

I predict that Gore will have more rushing yards, combined yards, receptions, and TDs than Smith.

Always cracks me up how 95% of fantasy football owners agree that they don't want to see the same vanilla rankings on every website (as if it took an expert opinion to follow the herd) and as soon as they go out on a limb, the other 5% is there to call them idiots.

Always cracks me up how 95% of fantasy football owners agree that they don't want to see the same vanilla rankings on every website (as if it took an expert opinion to follow the herd) and as soon as they go out on a limb, the other 5% is there to call them idiots.

exactly

I find this questionable too. Kevin smith had 450 carries in college last year alone!! While it's true that 50% of backs from last year won't be in the top 10 next year, that alone isn't enough to justify replacing Gore with Smith.

Here's how I see it: Gore has more potential than Kevin Smith in PPR settings. Gore is the best player on his team, while that award on the lions goes to Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson. Martz is wacky, but he's not an idiot. How could he air it out like he did last year when he doesn't have the same talent at QB and WR?

I predict that Gore will have more rushing yards, combined yards, receptions, and TDs than Smith.

Great you predict Gore will be better. The compiler predicts Kevin Smith. See ya in December when we find out who is right.

:o FFToday isn't known for having GREAT preseaosn rankings. if you go by what Mike n Mike say in your own rankings - good luck.

The fun of FF is making your own rankings anyway.

IMO Gore in PPR is a top 5 selection -- in non ppr still top 10 - 12.

M n M - like to make bold out there picks to be different - I seriously doubt they honestly think Gore will really suck like that - both are smarter than that. They are making that call ebcasue of the chance he is injured making the site able to say " I called it ".

It has to be a mistake , i mean cmon .

First Smith is nt even the starter yet and even if he becomes the starter he has nt proven anything .

I dont even see him as a long term solution in Detroit .

He could not even carry Gore jock strap.

Gore has had two major knee surguries, a broken hand, abdomen strains, his team sucks, and Mike Martz is over-rated. Gore peaked two years ago and is on the downside of his short NFL career.

Gore has had two major knee surguries, a broken hand, abdomen strains, his team sucks, and Mike Martz is over-rated. Gore peaked two years ago and is on the downside of his short NFL career.

exactly. Gore was a great pick up one year, and one year alone... now he might be the most overrated player this side of steve 'not so good al' smith.

jdon

do you want fftoday to change their rankings?

why not give your projected #'s for gore and smith which might spur a nice debate

rush yards, rush td's, rec, rec yards, rec td's

It has to be a mistake , i mean cmon .

First Smith is nt even the starter yet and even if he becomes the starter he has nt proven anything .

I dont even see him as a long term solution in Detroit .

He could not even carry Gore jock strap.

His main competition in Detroit is Tatum Bell....Smith will be the starter.

I wouldn't rank him over Gore, but kudos to the site for being different.

Yeah right ...

The guy played in all 16 games in 2006 ( 373 touches ) .

He missed only one game in 2007 ( 313 touches ) .

He missed one game in two years with over 300 touches a year but according to a few of you he is finished ( Due to injuries ). I only wished i had guys like you in my league . It s just too bad that the Niners dont go after a real QB .

His main competition in Detroit is Tatum Bell....Smith will be the starter.

I wouldn't rank him over Gore, but kudos to the site for being different.

He will be the starter but it doesnt mean anything there is absolutely no competiton .

I just dont see him succeed in the NFL .

do you want fftoday to change their rankings?

why not give your projected #'s for gore and smith which might spur a nice debate

rush yards, rush td's, rec, rec yards, rec td's

Gore 250 carries ( 1200 yards ) 7 TD's rushing . 65 Receptions 400 yards 3 TD's.

Smith 200 carries ( 780 yards ) 4 Td's . 35 receptions 200 yards 1 Td.

This reminds me of all the complaints about the hell Addai could be ranked the 10th RB his rookie year by FFtoday. :thumbsup:

I am a little surprised over the Kevin Smith love in the rankings. Maybe it's just an overreaction by Mike after only ranking Peterson #35 last year? I have a hard time believing Detroit busts out with this very good and balanced offense as the rankings would indicate. That being said the 49ers offense looks absolutely horrible to me and I wouldn't be excited about any part of it. :banana:

I honestly don't understand all the man love for Gore. He is on a team that sucks and contrary to popular belief Mike Martz does not make a running back better. Gore will struggle this year and i don't buy that he will be a top ten back.

I honestly don't understand all the man love for Gore. He is on a team that sucks and contrary to popular belief Mike Martz does not make a running back better. Gore will struggle this year and i don't buy that he will be a top ten back.

Well lessee...his team sucked ass in 2006 when he ran for 1695 yards. His team sucked more when he ran for a very tough 1102 yards last year despite complete regression of the passing game making it 'Gore or bust'.

He has played 31 of 32 games the past two seasons and is a terrific receiving target out of the backfield, evidenced by his 114 receptions for 921 yards and 2 TDs over the past two seasons.

Whats to hate about Frank Gore? No one in their right mind takes Kevin Smith (who I think will be a good one) over Frank Gore in a draft. Gore was the 11th best FF RB on a very shitty team last season. I don't see much of any downside to Gore at this point, and think he's very safe pick in the 10-14 range, with upside in the top 5 range.

Maybe Mike McG. wants Gore on his fantasy teams and doesn't want to show his hand. He could have a late 1st round pick in one or multiple leagues. That would then make sense.

Well lessee...his team sucked ass in 2006 when he ran for 1695 yards. His team sucked more when he ran for a very tough 1102 yards last year despite complete regression of the passing game making it 'Gore or bust'.

He has played 31 of 32 games the past two seasons and is a terrific receiving target out of the backfield, evidenced by his 114 receptions for 921 yards and 2 TDs over the past two seasons.

Whats to hate about Frank Gore? No one in their right mind takes Kevin Smith (who I think will be a good one) over Frank Gore in a draft. Gore was the 11th best FF RB on a very shitty team last season. I don't see much of any downside to Gore at this point, and think he's very safe pick in the 10-14 range, with upside in the top 5 range.

Of course you don't actually draft Smith over Gore. That would be stupid. You pass on Gore in the first round for a Addai/MBIII/Brady/Moss then pick Smith in like the 4th or 5th round. :pointstosky:

First of all, no one called the writers at FFtoday idiots.

I am appreciative of FFtoday rankings because they are well researched and free. However why would you not want to discuss, argue, debate, and consider the rankings in an open format?

Your comment is contentious. The OP wanted to promote a serious discussion about this, and you've put words in his mouth, and missed the point.

Here's a projection: average of Gore's stats over the past two years.

1400 yards, 57 receptions for 460 yards, 6-9 TDs combined

First of all, no one called the writers at FFtoday idiots.

I am appreciative of FFtoday rankings because they are well researched and free. However why would you not want to discuss, argue, debate, and consider the rankings in an open format?

Your comment is contentious. The OP wanted to promote a serious discussion about this, and you've put words in his mouth, and missed the point.

Here's a projection: average of Gore's stats over the past two years.

1400 yards, 57 receptions for 460 yards, 6-9 TDs combined

True, no one called them idiots. I should not have put words into his mouth, as you say. But I don't think I've missed the OP's point. He does not think that Smith should be rated above Gore. That's fine, most would agree with him. But if we criticize the moderators for picks outside the norm, were going to find the same rankings all over the internet. I won't defend the call (I think they are both overrated, myself) but I hope we encourage against the grain picks rather than create an environment where it's just easier to just go with the flow and avoid the headaches of constantly defending their projections. The flipside of course is that I don't want the original poster to feel he can't express his own views. Double edged sword, I suppose.

I remember a similar situation two years ago when they had Addai ranked very, very high (around top 12-15 IIRC) when he was not the starter in Indy. He was ranked above a bunch of "sure things" as well. Mike nailed that one. :)

Yeah right ...

The guy played in all 16 games in 2006 ( 373 touches ) .

He missed only one game in 2007 ( 313 touches ) .

He missed one game in two years with over 300 touches a year but according to a few of you he is finished ( Due to injuries ). I only wished i had guys like you in my league . It s just too bad that the Niners dont go after a real QB .

you ever think thats the difference? hmm... no quarterback, no recievers, a good tight end, and that is it... hmm... I wish I was in your league too...

jdon

I remember a similar situation two years ago when they had Addai ranked very, very high (around top 12-15 IIRC) when he was not the starter in Indy. He was ranked above a bunch of "sure things" as well. Mike nailed that one. :D

Addai was a talented 1st round pick , Smith is a pedestrian RB .

Addai was a talented 1st round pick , Smith is a pedestrian RB .

I can't say I agree with your contention that Smith is a pedestrian RB.

Just because he wasn't a 1st round pick doesn't make a back pedestrian. I had more reservations about Addai than I do about Smith.

As has been pointed out, few would take Kevin Smith over Gore. However, IMO, Kevin Smith has far more value than Gore. Gore will be taken in the 1st round. If he does well, fine, he should since he is first round value. Kevin Smith will be taken 4th or 5th round and has huge upside. He will be the starter. Tatum Bell in first preseason game, 8 rushes for 7 yards. I just smiled when I saw those numbers, cause I drafted Kevin Smith. He almost broke Barry Sanders single season rushing record. I don't care who you are up against in College, to rush for that many yards takes someone special. Just look at Michael Turner, LT, or Walter Payton and the teams they played for. Barring injury, which can happen to anyone, I predict Smith will have a minimum of 1,000 yards and 8 TD's, which for a second or third back on your team would be great. I only play in one league. It is a 10 team, 2 keeper league which is TD heavy with few bonus points. I felt that there were so many potential backs this year that I kept Wayne and Owens and among other players, cut loose Westbrook and Steven Jackson. I ended up with Jamal Lewis, Edge, Kevin Smith, and Jonathan Stewart. Sure, my rb's aren't great, but I ended up with great receivers, including Calvin Johnson, and Roethlisberger as my QB. Strange strategy, sure, will I win, I dunno, but I lost in Super Bowl last year, won Super Bowl year before, and lost in Super Bowl year prior.

This thread needs to be pinned for future reference to shut up all the doubters of FF Today's ranking. The reason why I join this site is because of last year's rankings. The result? Two leagues, :thumbsup: in one and 3rd in the other in which I only lost 2 games ( still pissed at Jessica Simpson). FF Today is dead on point with Kevin Smith's ranking. I wished my drafts were today so I can steal him in the late rounds before others see him for what he's worth. Mark my word, he will be ranked in the top 10 of RB's next year. You guys really need to read Waldman's rookie impact analysis if you are still not convienced.

This thread needs to be pinned for future reference to shut up all the doubters of FF Today's ranking. The reason why I join this site is because of last year's rankings. The result? Two leagues, :unsure: in one and 3rd in the other in which I only lost 2 games ( still pissed at Jessica Simpson). FF Today is dead on point with Kevin Smith's ranking. I wished my drafts were today so I can steal him in the late rounds before others see him for what he's worth. Mark my word, he will be ranked in the top 10 of RB's next year. You guys really need to read Waldman's rookie impact analysis if you are still not convienced.

I agree with where they have Kevin Smith ranked. How do you feel about Gore being so low. You just blindly trust that fftoday is going to get that right? :thumbsup:

Well, I didn't see that coming. Kevin Smith over Gore is very bold. I won't be drafting Smith, but it is still a bold move. I mean it could happen, but I don't like Detroit players. In fact, I am doing my best to talk myself out of Calvin Johnson. I want himbad, but I know Detroit is no good for me. Only heartache will come from anyone on the Lions. (Yes, I am talking to you Roy Williams.)

I have the greatest respect for all of Waldman's work especially his rookie analysis, which is the single best rookie analysis I've seen and I always look forward to it.

That said, I don't have a clue how anyone can rank Kevin Smith ahead of Frank Gore - that goes beyond bold, that is insane. I also know that Matt's rookie RB analysis does not take into account where the rookie winds up playing. For this reason, McFadden - who Waldman was quite down on (and I agree that McFadden lacks patience as a runner and hasn't shown he can run between the tackles) - will vastly outperform K. Smith this year due to Oaklands superior OL. And with all due respect Matt was higher on K Smith than ANY of the others whose evaluations I hold in high regard.

So not only am I not at all convinced that Smith is the 'real deal' as far as an NFL RB but I find it ludicruous to ignore Gore's record as a proven NFL stud RB. The only way Smith outperforms Gore is if Gore gets injured before game 10 and Smith plays every game this season.

The QB rankings as well are atrocious. How the hell does someone rank Vince Young ahead of Eli Manning among others. Young sucks and throws twice as many picks as TD's.

I was looking at the 'consensus rankings' pinned threads. Everyone there has pretty good rankings. Young for the most part where he belongs...near the bottom of the top 20.

...I find it ludicruous to ignore Gore's record as a proven NFL stud RB.

Proven stud? Gore has one year where he has outperformed his draft status, and it wasn't last year.

The niners were in complete disarray last year. They hired some total loser as the OC with zero experience. Then they had to bring back someone they fired when the rook OC showcased his suckiness. The guy they brought back told the idiot rookie OC how to use Gore. Gore caught 11 balls that next week and had 200+ total yards and 2 tds. As mcuh as I hate Martz because he's living off Holt, Bruce and Faulk, he's smart enough to use his best weapon. That's Gore.

The niners were in complete disarray last year. They hired some total loser as the OC with zero experience. Then they had to bring back someone they fired when the rook OC showcased his suckiness. The guy they brought back told the idiot rookie OC how to use Gore. Gore caught 11 balls that next week and had 200+ total yards and 2 tds. As mcuh as I hate Martz because he's living off Holt, Bruce and Faulk, he's smart enough to use his best weapon. That's Gore.

As a Lions fan, I wish you all the best...