Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

As commish can I accept this trade?

The local league I commish is having our live draft this Saturday - we keep 1 player free ( no loss of pick ). I drew the #2 overall selection ( 10 team league ) doing the edice thing for draft slot after the regular season - My keeper is S. Jackson ( I actually won it last year ). This owner just offered me L. Tomlinson and his 5th rounder for My 1st and 3rd rounders. He is doing it as he knows already that the 1.2 will be Westbrook, F. Gore or R. Moss.

Thing is if I accept this I know it will cause uproar likely as I would then have LT and Sjax basically for the cost of downgrading a 3rd to a 5th. Right now i am thinking about just declining based on not wanting to make waves and with the draft being a LIVE bar draft it may get a little ugly. OR is this not really as far off in my favor as I think it is so i should just accept?

need commish advise :nono:

accept it and move on.

never decline a trade simply for how other league members may view it.

Jackson isn't in a great situation right now anyway.

you know this isnt collusion so thats all that matters.

The local league I commish is having our live draft this Saturday - we keep 1 player free ( no loss of pick ). I drew the #2 overall selection ( 10 team league ) doing the edice thing for draft slot after the regular season - My keeper is S. Jackson ( I actually won it last year ). This owner just offered me L. Tomlinson and his 5th rounder for My 1st and 3rd rounders. He is doing it as he knows already that the 1.2 will be Westbrook, F. Gore or R. Moss.

Thing is if I accept this I know it will cause uproar likely as I would then have LT and Sjax basically for the cost of downgrading a 3rd to a 5th. Right now i am thinking about just declining based on not wanting to make waves and with the draft being a LIVE bar draft it may get a little ugly. OR is this not really as far off in my favor as I think it is so i should just accept?

Moz, what is the other owner's current first round pick m(draft spot) and who is his existing keeper if he's not keeping LT? I'm not sure it really matters, but thought it worth asking, and to me it factors into the motivation for the deal.

I would assume you cannot take this until after you make the pick...otherwise you would only have Tomlinson since you can only keep 1 guy.

if the date to set keepers has already passed then each team has 1 guy on their roster.

a trade like this would be allowable I would think. It would give Moz 2 guys and the other owner would have 0

in my keeper league we allow all trades before keepers are due and once keepers are set, trades can only involve keepers and draft picks.

I would assume you cannot take this until after you make the pick...otherwise you would only have Tomlinson since you can only keep 1 guy.

the other guy would have 2 1st round picks is all -- the 1.2 mine cureently and his 1.8 -- I would have no first rounders but would already have LT and Sjax and my first pick would be in round 2.9

Good point and way to drive home the point that my coffee hasn't kicked in too! So I guess I only need to know his existing draft spot.

Editored: and now I know it.

the other guy would have 2 1st round picks is all the 1.2 mine cureently and his 1.8 -- I would have no first rounders but would already have LT and Sjax and my first pick would be in round 2.9

To me, it's lopsided in your favor, but not colluded. If I was in your league I would probably have a problem with the trade, but could not convince myself that it was a plot between the two of you, so I don't think I could complain that loudly. For whatever your strength at RB would be, you're going to have glaring weakness someplace like WR or QB, and IMO, Jackson isn't a lock based on his contract and team situation. Hard to call man...you're gonna piss people off but it's not an unfair trade. I say do it!

the other guy would have 2 1st round picks is all -- the 1.2 mine cureently and his 1.8 -- I would have no first rounders but would already have LT and Sjax and my first pick would be in round 2.9

But you can't keep 2 guys is what I am saying. As someone else mentioned I guess it depends on when you announce your keepers and how that works.

In my Baseball league, I could not do something like this.

But you can't keep 2 guys is what I am saying. As someone else mentioned I guess it depends on when you announce your keepers and how that works.

depends on how you look at it as far as keeping 2 - I making a trade that would be pretty much my 1.2 , and my 3.2 for LT2 and his 5.8.

depends on how you look at it as far as keeping 2 - I making a trade that would be pretty much my 1.2 , and my 3.2 for LT2 and his 5.8.

right. So then you would keep LT and put SJax back into the mix? If you can only keep one player prior to the draft, then how can you keep both? The only way for that to work would be for him to tell you who to draft at those spots then trade those guys to him for LT after the draft. Otherwise, you are making the trade for LT only and losing your first round pick.

stop being a puzzy.

hth

Yup, if your league rules aren't clear enough to clarify whether this trade is legal, you've got bigger problems than this trade.

As a commissioner of two leagues, I never make a ruling on my own transactions. I always have a co-commish rule on the issue to eliminate the possible grumblings about unfairness.

right. So then you would keep LT and put SJax back into the mix? If you can only keep one player prior to the draft, then how can you keep both? The only way for that to work would be for him to tell you who to draft at those spots then trade those guys to him for LT after the draft. Otherwise, you are making the trade for LT only and losing your first round pick.

No, rosters will be cleared except for the keepers. Right before Moz's pick, he announces he's traded the 1.02 pick to this dude in exchange for LT. Dude then picks 1.02, then again at 1.08. It's simple now that the coffee has kicked in. That dude is just willing to gamble he can field a better team with two 1st round picks, one 2nd round and two 3rd round picks than he could w/ LT2 and 1/1/1 in each round. Moz is gambling that LT2/SJax are enough to overcome not having a 1st and 3rd round pick. Bottom line is that you assume that the top 10 players are off the board (although that's not exactly correct, but in theory it works) and all draft spots in essence become 1 round later than if there were no keepers. If I'm Moz, I figure two 1st rounders, a 2nd and no 3rd is much better than 1/1/1/1. :thumbsup:

if its within the rules then who cares if the league doesnt like it. Everybody has their own value for players. If its not cheating, its fair and this trade is too close to even consider collusion

:bandana: 1 more time -- everyone is allowed 1 keeper. He is trading his keeper to me for my 1st round pick - so he will ahve NO keeper but 2 picks in round 1 and round 3.

I am not keeping 2 players from my roster -- keepers were announced a month ago and roster except for keepers were cleared.

Trading is open after Keepers are declared and rosters cleared / draft order posted.

:bandana: 1 more time -- everyone is allowed 1 keeper. He is trading his keeper to me for my 1st round pick - so he will ahve NO keeper but 2 picks in round 1 and round 3.

I am not keeping 2 players from my roster -- keepers were announced a month ago and roster except for keepers were cleared.

Trading is open after Keepers are declared and rosters cleared / draft order posted.

so whats the problem then? If trading is now allowed and youre not bound to only having 1 player on your roster then you are asking if this is unfair value? It doesnt matter what people think of a trade. If it doesnt stink like collusion everybody in your league needs to shut their yappers. This trade seems fair for both sides to me

so whats the problem then? If trading is now allowed and youre not bound to only having 1 player on your roster then you are asking if this is unfair value? It doesnt matter what people think of a trade. If it doesnt stink like collusion everybody in your league needs to shut their yappers. This trade seems fair for both sides to me

:bandana:

Step 1: STFU

Step 2: Make trade

Step 3: Collect :Mr-T:

1 more time?

This is the first time you mentioned keepers being announced a month ago and rosters being cleared except for keepers.

If you are a Commish that blocks trades, no you can't.

If you are a Commish that doesn't block trades, yes you can.

What sense does it make for him to trade the #1 fantasy player (who he can keep without the loss of a pick) to someone else so he can draft someone else in the 1st?

He either has Tomlinson and his 1st round or your first round and his first round - this doesn't make any sense at all and seein as there is absolutely no benefit to him to do this then I would say collusion.

Guess you missed the part about Moz's 3rd for the other guy's 5th.

need commish advise :bandana:

If this is in line with your league rules and there is no funny business going on, why ask for approval?

So he thinks that he will downgrade from Tomlinson to say Westbrook (If SJax and LT are gone Westy should be #1) and replace his 5th rounder with your 3rd rounder.

It doesn't sound too bad to me - its hard to get rid of Tomlinson but that 3rd rounder will be a pretty big upgrade from his 5th.

I guess thats what I didn't get. In our main league, once keepers are declared, trading is not allowed until after the draft. We declared our keepers on Tuesday and our draft is tonight. Anyways, if there is nothing in the bylaws AND you think its worth it, do it. Screw what everyone else thinks. No collusion, the trade goes through no matter what. I'd do it FWIW. SJax and LT is scary.

Already having LTII has nothing to do with this transaction at all. He's yours. You have him already due to your abilities previously. So move on without THAT being a part of the argument.

:bandana: he has SJax not LT. He'd get LT if he does this trade.

:( he has SJax not LT. He'd get LT if he does this trade.

My bad. I misread. I deleted already. My bad.

If I was an owner I would have already done it - as Commish you gotta walk a finer line. Things were focked up last year when I traded Jamal Lewis and J. Kitna for P. Manning mid season - My other 3 RB's were - Jackson , Lynch , Edge. Owners cried foul becasue I was trading J. Lewis a person I got in the 7th round and J. Kitna who I got in the 10th round for a 1st round pick in P. Manning. He offered it to me.

If I was an owner I would have already done it - as Commish you gotta walk a finer line. Things were focked up last year when I traded Jamal Lewis and J. Kitna for P. Manning mid season - My other 3 RB's were - Jackson , Lynch , Edge. Owners cried foul becasue I was trading J. Lewis a person I got in the 7th round and J. Kitna who I got in the 10th round for a 1st round pick in P. Manning. He offered it to me.

Sounds like you either have a shady history or you play with cry babies. In my league it isn understood that deals are pushed through as long as collusion is not involved and the guys in this league would rather be tarred and feathered before colluding and helping someone else win.

If other owners are crying foul, then tell them to go talk to the owner that offered the trade. Just because youre commish, that doesnt mean you should handicap yourself to make everybody happy. Im surprised you got Lewis in the 7th and Kitna in the 10th last year. It must have been an early draft because Kitnas ADP was probably in the 6-7th rds by the summer last year, and Lewis was probably closer to the 4th-5thrds

Sounds like you either have a shady history or you play with cry babies. In my league it isn understood that deals are pushed through as long as collusion is not involved and the guys in this league would rather be tarred and feathered before colluding and helping someone else win.

Valid point, but I don't think that trade last year was particularly a lopsided one, especially if the guy getting Lewis/Kitna was RB needy and had another good QB prospect. If he had say Manning/Derek Anderson he's trading a position of strength to shore up a possible weakness. Obviously Moz was doing the same thing, trading an RB he had extra of and getting a QB he needed. At around mid-season last year I'd say that the combo of Kitna/Lewis > Peyton, especially since Kitna started hot as hell. People get too hung up in where somebody was drafted and not how they are performing. Jamal Lewis ended up in the top 10 in a lot of leagues, so there wasn't a damned thing wrong with that trade. I vote he play w/ a buncha whiners.

out of curiousity, who are the other keepers? Obviously we know LT2 and SJax.

Valid point, but I don't think that trade last year was particularly a lopsided one, especially if the guy getting Lewis/Kitna was RB needy and had another good QB prospect. If he had say Manning/Derek Anderson he's trading a position of strength to shore up a possible weakness. Obviously Moz was doing the same thing, trading an RB he had extra of and getting a QB he needed. At around mid-season last year I'd say that the combo of Kitna/Lewis > Peyton, especially since Kitna started hot as hell. People get too hung up in where somebody was drafted and not how they are performing. Jamal Lewis ended up in the top 10 in a lot of leagues, so there wasn't a damned thing wrong with that trade. I vote he play w/ a buncha whiners.

I agree the trade sounds fine to me but I'm not in that league and don't know the history. I also do not belive in looking at a trade mid year and saying a deal isn't fair because a guy drafted in the first is now being traded for a guy drafted in the 7th. That is total BS to me. Jamal Lewis did not play like a 7th rounder so to hold up a deal beause ofthat is ridiculous. When we started our keeper league trade issues were brought up and I told everyone as commish this isd my philosophy. I will not create trade veto committess and I will not veto any trade because I do not believe in managing other people's teams. The guys have paid their entry fee and should be allowed to manage as they see fit which includes making bad trades. If someone has a problem with a deal because someone in their division got stringer, then it is up to that owner to go out and improve his team, not my job to make sure deals get killed becausse I think a deal may be lopisded. I'll give you a for instance: Last year one guy traded Joe Jurevicius and Wes Welker for Witten and Lee Evans. This was before Welker really caught fire and right as Witten (Witten owner also had Dallas Clark) started blowing up. At the time of the deal it looked like the guy getting Witten and Evans had a major steal; however, the guy getting Welker had Tom Brady and that totally evened out the trade and in fact Welker might have actually outpointed Witten. I know a lot of leagues would have killed that deal but in the end it worked out for both guys.

I guess thats what I didn't get. In our main league, once keepers are declared, trading is not allowed until after the draft. We declared our keepers on Tuesday and our draft is tonight.

i don't get your league. we do the total opposite. no trading is allowed until keepers are picked (i'm actually talking baseball because we have dynasty in football, but no difference). after keepers are set you can trade anything you please in the current year (draft picks, players, etc.).

so you allow someone to trade players they arent going to keep anyway...and then prohibit any trading during the draft or any trading of draft picks?!? whats the reasoning?

i dont understand these "keeper leagues" that let owners use extra players from last year

need commish advise :(

Is this correct synopsis?

10-14 players kept (only assuming since no league size is posted)

You have 1.2 and trade it for LT and 5th rounder to other guy along with 3rd round pick

Westbrook is NOT being kept nor is Gore or Moss.

If this is right, then he is trading LT for 2nd and 4th rounder (deducting 1st round guys for the sake of overall player value), not a 1st and 3rd. You get 2 consensus top 5 RB's?

Something isn't right.... But I would take the trade and let the others whine.

Technically you are trading during the draft yes? Your 1.2 comes up and you announce trade of picks for LT or you draft Westy or Gore, and then trade straight away for the pick swaps????

i don't get your league. we do the total opposite. no trading is allowed until keepers are picked (i'm actually talking baseball because we have dynasty in football, but no difference). after keepers are set you can trade anything you please in the current year (draft picks, players, etc.).

so you allow someone to trade players they arent going to keep anyway...and then prohibit any trading during the draft or any trading of draft picks?!? whats the reasoning?

i dont understand these "keeper leagues" that let owners use extra players from last year

Once you declare your keepers, you don't have access to anyone else on your team. So you can't trade them. Prior to declaring keepers you have access to your whole team and can therefore unload anyone you want, minus the guys you are planning on keeping. The reality of it is that there aren't a ton of trades because most people have 2 guys that are legitimate keepers. In my league this year, there were a couple of trades because some teams had four or five top tier players, meaning that some guys had crap.

I actually don't understand how your league works. If you claim your keepers before you draft, how do you THEN trade players. If I claim Addai as my keeper on Monday, and I trade him to you for a pick on Tuesday, who is my keeper going into the draft on Wed? Or do I just not have a keeper for the draft?

Once you declare your keepers, you don't have access to anyone else on your team. So you can't trade them. Prior to declaring keepers you have access to your whole team and can therefore unload anyone you want, minus the guys you are planning on keeping. The reality of it is that there aren't a ton of trades because most people have 2 guys that are legitimate keepers. In my league this year, there were a couple of trades because some teams had four or five top tier players, meaning that some guys had crap.

I actually don't understand how your league works. If you claim your keepers before you draft, how do you THEN trade players. If I claim Addai as my keeper on Monday, and I trade him to you for a pick on Tuesday, who is my keeper going into the draft on Wed? Or do I just not have a keeper for the draft?

i appreciate you replying. we used to do a 3 player football keeper league. lots of problems would arise. one guy who had no chance at playoffs traded rich gannon (the year he was really good...howver old and not keeper material) for a 3rd rd pick before the trade deadline to a team who had a terrible QB but amazing rbs/wrs. that team went on to win the championship and when we did a calculation, he won the championship game because of gannon. it was fine with the rules, but it changed the result of the league that maybe/maybe shouldnt have been allowed (debatable).

we also would have someone who had 4 amazing players...trade one for a draft pick in the offseason. so that team for example would start off with 3 players, a 1st, a 2nd, a 2nd, a 3rd, etc.

what it comes down to is using your previous year's extra players to give an advantage for the next year...when the goal of a 3 keeper league is to keep 3 players and level off the field.

because this was manipulated so much, we changed to an all out dynasty league that has been great. after the trade deadline in week 10, you cannot trade again until after the championship game. eliminates any and all problems.

but back to your example and the example i used (our baseball league is still a 5 keeper league)....there is no trading after the mid-season trade deadline.....until keepers are named again before the draft. each team then has 5 players plus their entire draft. you can THEN trade any of your 5 players or draft picks. the playing field is first evened (5 players each plus your 15 draft picks)....then have at it.

in your keeper league, you're letting teams use players they arent going to keep to gain an advantage before keepers/draft happen. it rewards teams that have more/better players above the keeper amount of players....in other words, using last year to gain an advantage when the league is supposed to be leveled. i don't like that but it's just my opinion and we saw a lot of people using those rules in ways other owners could not.

my personal opinion is now full dynasty or re-draft. i'm not a huge fan of anything in between.

specially our baseball rule says you must declare 5 keepers before the draft. it does not say you must keep those players until a specific period of time (at the time the draft starts, or at the end of the draft, or into week 7....)

You don't have a keeper ... but now you have an additional draft pick (and a very good one given the example of Addai) with which to fill that additional roster spot. That's how I would describe it, but the idea of trading the keeper doesn't sit very well with me. But I suppose this trade is fine.

Although, if you really wanted to do this in good form and without worry: you could draft who the LDT owner wants at 1.2 and the 3rd round pick, and he could draft who you want with his 5th round pick, and then including LDT just trade two-for-two players after the Draft.

Trading the keeper and picks now just gets that business out of the way early. It will happen either way, as noted above, so the other owners really don't have a great argument against it.

You don't have a keeper ... but now you have an additional draft pick (and a very good one given the example of Addai) with which to fill that additional roster spot. That's how I would describe it, but the idea of trading the keeper doesn't sit very well with me. But I suppose this trade is fine.

Although, if you really wanted to do this in good form and without worry: you could draft who the LDT owner wants at 1.2 and the 3rd round pick, and he could draft who you want with his 5th round pick, and then including LDT just trade two-for-two players after the Draft.

Trading the keeper and picks now just gets that business out of the way early. It will happen either way, as noted above, so the other owners really don't have a great argument against it.

I am absolutely stunned people can't grasp the concept of trading someone for a draft pick.

I don't believe that is the issue, as much as it is the fact of trading a keeper for a pick before the Draft. The edict of the league is that no matter what, you must pick one player from your roster as a keeper selection (as far as I am aware reading the posts). Depending on how strict you want to be, that doesn't exactly jive with trading that keeper player for a Draft pick, because it's not as though you can refrain from picking a keeper to gain an additional draft pick.

As I noted, if you trade the players following the Draft, I would be sure that would fly as being more acceptable. Still, if I was a fellow owner in this league, I wouldn't shoot this down because: (1) the value seems fair, the LDT owner is willing to get Westbrook and convert a 5th round pick to a 3rd, when means a high-quality RB2 or WR2 or QB1; and (2) the two teams could just trade the players after the Draft instead of the picks before the Draft, so why piss and moan over something that's more neglible than anything else.

If I was the OP, and I assume he wants to accept the offer, then I would go ahead and do that. Afterwards, I would get word to my fellow owners that I accepted the offer presented to me, and that instead of having to coordinate everything to trade the players after the Draft, the LDT owner and I were both willing to agree on terms now involving LDT and draft picks. If the majority of owners have a problem with that, then we'll reverse the trade only to get it done after the Draft. I don't anyone would really speak up over an inevitable result, and the terms given that the LDT owner is the one who proposed the offer.

I don't believe that is the issue, as much as it is the fact of trading a keeper for a pick before the Draft. The edict of the league is that no matter what, you must pick one player from your roster as a keeper selection (as far as I am aware reading the posts). Depending on how strict you want to be, that doesn't exactly jive with trading that keeper player for a Draft pick, because it's not as though you can refrain from picking a keeper to gain an additional draft pick.

As I noted, if you trade the players following the Draft, I would be sure that would fly as being more acceptable. Still, if I was a fellow owner in this league, I wouldn't shoot this down because: (1) the value seems fair, the LDT owner is willing to get Westbrook and convert a 5th round pick to a 3rd, when means a high-quality RB2 or WR2 or QB1; and (2) the two teams could just trade the players after the Draft instead of the picks before the Draft, so why piss and moan over something that's more neglible than anything else.

If I was the OP, and I assume he wants to accept the offer, then I would go ahead and do that. Afterwards, I would get word to my fellow owners that I accepted the offer presented to me, and that instead of having to coordinate everything to trade the players after the Draft, the LDT owner and I were both willing to agree on terms now involving LDT and draft picks. If the majority of owners have a problem with that, then we'll reverse the trade only to get it done after the Draft. I don't anyone would really speak up over an inevitable result, and the terms given that the LDT owner is the one who proposed the offer.

Why are you so hung up on the timing of things? Both teams declare a keeper. Team "A" trades their keeper to team "B" for a draft pick. Would you feel better if instead of declaring their intent to trade now, they waited until team "B" was on the clock and did the deal? There is no (zero, nada, zilch) difference.

And thank God, there aren't "owner like you in my league" voting to "shoot down" trades. Yikes!

wow. Reading comprehension folks. There have been like 3 actual answers to Moz's question. :overhead: