Sign in to follow this  
AnaheimRams

Churning The Wire.

I'm playing the P. Manning owner in my redraft league this week (who's rolling) and at a blistering 1-2, I need a win.

He has no back-up QB.

He made no waiver moves or pickups this week.

Transactions are $5 each.

If I'm willing to throw $100 into the pot to make sure he doesn't have a QB...

Is that good strategery, a doosh move (but still good strategery), a doosh move (and expect to be booted from the league)... or outright cheating.

I'm normally against such nonsense, unless there's a transaction fee involved. At least there's money going into the pot that way.

nothing wrong with this at all. even if transactions were free.

in this case i would say you are wasting 100 dollars... maybe pick up a QB or 2 if you think there are good ones out there he would snap up but i think its a waste of money to pick them ALL up.

also im assuming you have roster limits in which case you would HAVE to drop someone of value do pull off something like this and I am sure that woulf f uck you in the long run.

Completely a doosh move if ever there was one. However, at least your league has a penalty enough to make it so that a normal person would not consider it.

Legal, but doosh move IMO.

Basically taking the fun out of the game. For me it's about beating my friends. Not beating them because I spent a $100 to give me an advantage that I really shouldn't have. But hey, if that's how you want to win... more power to you. Esepcially since you have a kick ass alias

If they were free transactions I would be 100% against it.

It still is douchey.... but with a $5 per transaction penalty, it gets pushed into the "douchey good strategy".

However, be prepared for bitching and possible waiver clearance- e.g. the turn around time being wiped out, and you being out the $100.

Completely a doosh move if ever there was one. However, at least your league has a penalty enough to make it so that a normal person would not consider it.

Yeah... but I'm not a normal person I guess.

I'm kinda the George Steinbrenner of this league... buy in is only $200... and I'd spend $100 just to give myself a slight edge for one week.

:rolleyes:

Plus... it'd be fun to watch the fallout when the crying starts.

In my league if you pickup a player he remains on your roster until after all games played.

This takes care of this doosh move.

Sounds like even if he posts a ZERO in the QB position his "rolling" team would still kick your "pathetic drafted" team.

Save your $100 and with 20 more hours serving fries you will have enough for next years buy in.

i know a guy who did this...dropped all his reserve players (it was championship week) and picked up every defense with a good matchup...he couldn't get them all, but he got all the good ones. he ended up winning by 5 pts...and I think most of the 7 defenses he picked up would have made up that deficit.

Brilliant and doosch at the same time...bonus.

im surprised at all the negative responses to this.. i still don't see the problem.. If your opponent with Peyton was smart he would have picked up a backup by now or have drafted one.

i mean yeah you will probably look like a huge tool doing this but its going to be at your own expense.. as i already said 100 dollars and the fact that you need roster space to house all of these QB's. your team can't be so shitty that all the players you drop are scrubs???

In my league if you pickup a player he remains on your roster until after all games played.

Sounds like even if he posts a ZERO in the QB position his "rolling" team would still kick your "pathetic drafted" team.

Save your $100 and with 20 more hours serving fries you will have enough for next years buy in.

HA HA! :thumbsup:

im surprised at all the negative responses to this.. i still don't see the problem.. If your opponent with Peyton was smart he would have picked up a backup by now or have drafted one.

i mean yeah you will probably look like a huge tool doing this but its going to be at your own expense.. as i already said 100 dollars and the fact that you need roster space to house all of these QB's. your team can't be so shitty that all the players you drop are scrubs???

I think you misunderstand.

I ALREADY dropped my back-up QB and picked up what I thought to be his most likely choice for bye week replacement.

Churning the wire is picking up every available QB and dropping them so they stay on waivers 'til next week.

Pick one up... drop him... pick up another... drop him... and so on.

Only take on roster spot.

Which is why it's dooshy.

Picking up players, and keeping them on your roster = legal

Picking up players, and immediately dropping them so they can't be picked up due to waiver rules = doosh move, could be kicked out of the league.

I think you misunderstand.

I ALREADY dropped my back-up QB and picked up what I thought to be his most likely choice for bye week replacement.

Churning the wire is picking up every available QB and dropping them so they stay on waivers 'til next week.

Pick one up... drop him... pick up another... drop him... and so on.

Only take on roster spot.

Which is why it's dooshy.

oh yeah i did misunderstand... with that knowledge.. you are a douche

There are a lot of things in life that are perfectly legal, but you'll still get your azz kicked for doing. This is one of those things.

I think this sums it up the best. B)

oh yeah i did misunderstand... with that knowledge.. you are a douche

Ha ha ha ha!

Hey... I know it's dooshy... just a matter of degrees... AND... I haven't done it yet.

it's dooshy but acceptable especially if you have to pay a huge price, If I commished a free league and someone did this I would give the guy his pick but in a money league and you want to spend that kind of dough to prevent him from picking up a QB, and he left himself open be "that guy"

it's dooshy but acceptable especially if you have to pay a huge price, If I commished a free league and someone did this I would give the guy his pick but in a money league and you want to spend that kind of dough to prevent him from picking up a QB, and he left himself open be "that guy"

This.

In my league the Commish would void every move you made and stop that crap right away. If I was a commish I would do the same thing. Ridiculous and Doushy Move.

In my league the Commish would void every move you made and stop that crap right away. If I was a commish I would do the same thing.

Good thing I don't play in your league then isn't it?

BTW... nothing to see here.

I decided I'd give him 'til Saturday to lag on his lineup before I finally decided to do it or not... he just picked up a QB.

YAY for everybody!

It depends on the league. Its not very sportsmanlike, so I wouldn't suggest doing in a for-fun league with coworkers or anything, but some leagues are cut-throat by preference and would view this as perfectly acceptible. I don't know your league or the guys in it, so I can't answer this question for you.

Good thing I don't play in your league then isn't it?

this is probably my favorite kind of fftoday response

Correct answer to eliminating this type of doosh behavior. Maybe your league should take notice.

You need a win because you are 1-2 and willing to give up $100 to keep this other owner from getting a player he will need. What do you get with a 2-2 record, $100??? I'm sure this is meant to emphasize your desperation, so we'll go with the $5.

Outside of a win, the same question is, do you think it is worth it? Are you going to be able to trade him latter to improve your team? All in all, it's not a horrible strategy, but what is it going to cost you to get rid of the player down the road.

How much do you win for 1st place to be willing to spend $100 for a possible one game win? If it's $10,000 I'm all for it!!!

But exactly, the dude would probably trade for a QB from another team because ... and I'm going to go out on a limb here .... I'm pretty sure another team would love to see you lose for such a move.

you are a douche, 100/5 is 20, so there are 20 starting qbs available on your waiverwire/free agent list?? nice 5 team league

D-BAG

Thanks for the math lesson Professor Nine Posts.

Transactions are five dollars.

A WW pickup is one transaction... dropping the player to make room is a second transaction.

As far as him being able to trade for somebody...

There's a 24 hour waiting period in our league for trades... so he wouldn't be able to get somebody in time for games if I churned the wire on Saturday.

It may be a douche thing to do... but I'm not retarded. I did plan for that.

Oh... and... just so we're clear... I never actually said I would do this... and because the opportunity never came up... I never actually had to decide.

Thanks for the math lesson Professor Nine Posts.

Transactions are five dollars.

A WW pickup is one transaction... dropping the player to make room is a second transaction.

As far as him being able to trade for somebody...

There's a 24 hour waiting period in our league for trades... so he wouldn't be able to get somebody in time for games if I churned the wire on Saturday.

It may be a douche thing to do... but I'm not retarded. I did plan for that.

Oh... and... just so we're clear... I never actually said I would do this... and because the opportunity never came up... I never actually had to decide.

thats more stupid than anything I have heard in this thread.

I have never heard of a league that charged for a drop

a transaction consists of an add + a drop

thats more stupid than anything I have heard in this thread.

I have never heard of a league that charged for a drop

a transaction consists of an add + a drop

So you can wrap your head around this just pretend that the add/drop is 10 bucks. Nothing wrong with abusing the rules, it's a ###### move but if your ok being "that guy" then by all means do it, I didnt know you had the 24 hour period before trades went through, this would have been a genius move (if you value the win more than the money). People like this fill a need, they make the rules better as the following year the rules of your league will have a specific rule fixing this loophole.

So you can wrap your head around this just pretend that the add/drop is 10 bucks. Nothing wrong with abusing the rules, it's a ###### move but if your ok being "that guy" then by all means do it, I didnt know you had the 24 hour period before trades went through, this would have been a genius move (if you value the win more than the money). People like this fill a need, they make the rules better as the following year the rules of your league will have a specific rule fixing this loophole.

Think of it this way...

Let's say there's a big 'ol Patriot fan in your league who's PISSED that he didn't get Brady in the draft... and you have him. He's been offering you trades every day since the draft trying to pry him from you. Finally... before week one games... he offers you Eddie Royal and Michael Turner for Brady and Nate Burleson. You're curious, but not really interested... so you leave the trade open.

Of course, since he's a big Patriot fan, he's also a drunken idiot, and he forgets to withdraw the trade for the weekend.

Now... in that situation... I would RUN to my computer and accept that trade as soon as the injuries happened... and most of you would too.

Is it douchey... probably... but TOO BAD for the guy that can't remember to withdraw trade offers before the games start.

In my mind... it's ALMOST the same thing as a dude leaving himself without a QB and expecting to just grab one off the wire on Sunday morning.

If you want to be "that guy" who doesn't handle his business and expects everybody else to remind him or just be nice... don't be surprised, and don't cry when "that guy" that wants to win and is on his game sticks it up your pooper 'cause you weren't paying attention.

Just Win Baby.

FWIW... I also commish a hyper competitive 5 figure auction league that is 18 years old. This type of behavior is expected and even commended there. However... the other owners aren't retards, so the opportunity rarely presents itself.

it's a douche bag move... but thinking outside the box... kind of like creative accounting... look where that got enron..

anaheim... I bet you also think it would be fun to buy all 100 squares, during the super bowl square game.... to guarantee a win...

it's a douche bag move... but thinking outside the box... kind of like creative accounting... look where that got enron..

anaheim... I bet you also think it would be fun to buy all 100 squares, during the super bowl square game.... to guarantee a win...

Ray, that you?

Yeah, that move woulda been douchebaggery at it's finest, and that beeeeotch named Karma woulda paid you back somehow. Regardless, it's moot now, as the dude picked up a QB.

yep