Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Who else wants to see Plax get at least 1 year in prison?

WTF? Marvin Harrison shoots someone on purpose and it gets swept under the rug. Plaxico illegally possesses a gun and shoots himself in public in NYC, and some of you want him to wrot in jail for 3 years. If we're going to send people to jail for being stupid this place will be a ghost town. :rolleyes:

I'm a firm believer that someone besides yourself should be harmed by your actions before you should go to jail for them, so I think they should give him a fine and let him go, and then right after that they should free Mike Vick!@!#@!

I'm a firm believer that someone besides yourself should be harmed by your actions before you should go to jail for them, so I think they should give him a fine and let him go, and then right after that they should free Mike Vick!@!#@!

Thank God you're not a judge. This country would be over-run with thug punks.

Cowboy fans should be thrilled with this news. There is now more than a 99% chance Plax is in Dallas next year. :rolleyes:

Thank God you're not a judge. This country would be over-run with thug punks.

After the thug punks actually did something wrong, you could arrest them. This whole preventive strike mess is the same reason we wasteda trillion dolalrs in Iraq.

Cowboy fans should be thrilled with this news. There is now more than a 99% chance Plax is in Dallas next year. :rolleyes:

They'll have to outbid the Bengals

It's a criminal charge but we all know he really is no criminal.

I think he should pay a big fine and then have to do a few months of community service. But the NYC Mayor wants him to be punished to the full extent of the law.

"I don't think anybody should be exempt from that, and I think it would be an outrage if we didn't prosecute to the fullest extent of the law, particularly people who live in the public domain, make their living because of their visibility - they're the role models for our kids," Bloomberg said.

I think Bloomberg is a really smart guy. His statements were about the only thing he could have said that would have made sense politically.

Lucky for him, he doesn't have to prosecute the case.

The mandatory sentence is probably unconstitutional. Listen, I'm not saying it's not a good law, I just think the Heller decision has NYC painted into a corner.

So what they have been doing is prosecuting thugs and repeat offenders, while at the same time quietly plea bargaining first time offenders and otherwise solid citizens who do something dumb. Now they are faced with a high profile case that mandates seeking the mandatory sentence of 42 months. Problem is this could blow up in their face and the law gets thrown out.

But at this point, in a case that everyone is following, the DA (and Bloomberg) really have no other option except to charge him and take it to trial. That's my take, but I'm a CPA, not a lawyer...and my legal friends are all over the map on this one, so I think nobody really knows how it will play out.

I definitely agree with what you're saying, and I'm not a lawyer, just software salesman. However, given the recent information that's been released (Plexiglass giving a false name to the hospital, and the hospital not informing the authorities), I just think there would be too much egg on the face of the mayor not to do anything at all.

From a business perspective, you have the Giants, getting a brand new, very expensive stadium being built within the confines of the metopolitan area. I'm sure there are some public funds being allocated. From a taxpayer perspective, if Burress is allowed to escape without any jail time, it's basically saying that the Giants are really more important to the local government than the law that's supposed to protect the well-being of the local citizen.

It's truly a compelling story that is sure to rile up plenty of controversy. No matter which way it goes, someone's gonna be very unhappy with the outcome.

WTF? Marvin Harrison shoots someone on purpose and it gets swept under the rug. Plaxico illegally possesses a gun and shoots himself in public in NYC, and some of you want him to wrot in jail for 3 years. If we're going to send people to jail for being stupid this place will be a ghost town. :dunno:

Three issues here:

1. No one witnessed Harrison shoot anybody.

2. Harrison has been indicted and will eventually have to stand trial (in all likelihood).

3. Harrison doesn't have a history of sporadic behavior. Furthermore, he's a big part of the local community.

The law is the law. If he were "Joe Bonghit", he'd be wearing a pretty orange jumpsuit and pleading guilty about now.

where did the bullet end up? i heard it went in and out of his leg..is it on eBay yet?

the bullet shouldve flew through his leg and hit pierce...

when is the fantasy prison draft?

Three issues here:

1. No one witnessed Harrison shoot anybody.

2. Harrison has been indicted and will eventually have to stand trial (in all likelihood).

3. Harrison doesn't have a history of sporadic behavior. Furthermore, he's a big part of the local community.

The law is the law. If he were "Joe Bonghit", he'd be wearing a pretty orange jumpsuit and pleading guilty about now.

Sounds like he is a big part of the crime in the community. Being a ###### who volunteers at the YMCA for kids doesn't mean you can go around shooting people.

Sounds like he is a big part of the crime in the community. Being a ###### who volunteers at the YMCA for kids doesn't mean you can go around shooting people.

Now, are you a complete, ignorant d!ckhead all the time, or is it just on the bored here? :overhead:

Now go away, and let the adults talk here.

So he gets a pass because, fortunately, the bullet only hit him? If the stray bullet in a night club had hit some cocktail waitress in the head, there would be no argument.

The law is designed to deter behavior, not consequences. That is why DUI offenders go to jail, whether the accidentially killed someone or not.

To say "Plax didn't hurt anyone, so he shouldn't go to jail" doesn't do anything to deter other thug dooshbags from carrying guns into clubs. The next time, maybe the bullet kills some innocent person.

Plax should do time. He broke the law, the law has specified consequences (which, to hear new yorkers tell it, were posted all over town) so he should bear those consequences. End of story.

The simple fact that the focking mayor got on TV about this case is all you need to know. They are gonna throw the book at him. It's the typical over-compensation of celebrity. By not trying to look as if they are letting off a sports figure because of who he is, they are gonna swing the pendulum all the way to the other side and treat him more harshly than a normal John Doe. see Mike Vick case.

The law is so ambiguous you can charge him with all kinds of things. They might even make up laws to charge him. If it was John Doe he would not be made an example of. That is bogus. Treat him like anybody else. Two couts of Criminal intent. Please.

There is a reason that in every courthouse in America there is a statue of Lady Justice. . You know the lady with the blindfold on, a sword in one hand, and a set of scales in the other. Well the blindfold is meant to indicate that justice is (or should be) meted out objectively, without fear or favor, regardless of the identity, power, or weakness. That means that nobody should be made an "example of" because it is a high profile case. That is the right thing to do, and for the focking mayor to even speak like he did on TV is ridiculous.

The simple fact that the focking mayor got on TV about this case is all you need to know. They are gonna throw the book at him. It's the typical over-compensation of celebrity. By not trying to look as if they are letting off a sports figure because of who he is, they are gonna swing the pendulum all the way to the other side and treat him more harshly than a normal John Doe. see Mike Vick case.

The law is so ambiguous you can charge him with all kinds of things. They might even make up laws to charge him. If it was John Doe he would not be made an example of. That is bogus. Treat him like anybody else. Two couts of Criminal intent. Please.

There is a reason that in every courthouse in America there is a statue of Lady Justice. . You know the lady with the blindfold on, a sword in one hand, and a set of scales in the other. Well the blindfold is meant to indicate that justice is (or should be) meted out objectively, without fear or favor, regardless of the identity, power, or weakness. That means that nobody should be made an "example of" because it is a high profile case. That is the right thing to do, and for the focking mayor to even speak like he did on TV is ridiculous.

I agree, it is inappropriate for Bloomberg, an executive official, to attempt to influence judicial proceedings.

But just because justice is blind doesn't mean she doesn't know when everyone is watching her...

WTF? Marvin Harrison shoots someone on purpose and it gets swept under the rug. Plaxico illegally possesses a gun and shoots himself in public in NYC, and some of you want him to wrot in jail for 3 years. If we're going to send people to jail for being stupid this place will be a ghost town. :dunno:

It is OK to be stupid, it is when you endanger the lives of others that you need to be removed from society. I don't think Plax was being stupid here, he was being defiant. Don't get the two mixed up.

By the way Marvin did not shoot anyone, get your facts straight.

NYPD Detective on Sports Radio Yesterday:

- it's not for protection, the gun is a fashion statement, we see it all the time in the Bronx. And we see guys shooting themselves all the time too... these are the easy ones: you've got a guy with a bullet hole in his leg and no hole in his pants, it's pretty obvious what happened at that point.

:dunno:

I think 3.5 years is excessive but I have no problem with him doing jail time, maybe 3-6 mos.

I don't care that he carries a gun, I don't even particularly care that he carries one illegally, I do care that he doesn't treat the weapon with the respect it deserves and needlessly put other people's lives in danger as a result.

I agree with you.

I do not remember Bloomberg making a similar statement about trhe ghetto thugs on Wall Street.. Why is that? Did I just miss that one?

I think Plax is more stupid than thug. I don't think he should go to jail. Probation and suspension from the NFL should be enough for him. In contrast I hope they never let Michael Vick out of jail.

About your second statement, i have to agree and disagree at the same time.....As and advid vick hater( Throughout his WHOLE carrer, not just after the dog fight thing) and dog lover there is no one that would like to see him locked up for a LONG time more then me...BUT when i sit back and think about it, this is America and it is the land of oprotunity and second chances. I mean there really aint much more you can take form the guy, He lost all his money, his endorsments, and has been in jail serving his time. As long as he finishes out his sentance and pays his debt to society I can actually see him playing in the NFL again (The bengals look like they need a head case at QB lol).

Pay your debt and then come out of jail with a clean slate to start again.....I would give him a second chance....Not that I would Root for him, but i would not mind it. I meen im sure he could help some team out.

I think 3.5 years is excessive but I have no problem with him doing jail time, maybe 3-6 mos.

I don't care that he carries a gun, I don't even particularly care that he carries one illegally, I do care that he doesn't treat the weapon with the respect it deserves and needlessly put other people's lives in danger as a result.

:thumbsup:

Exactly. In this instance, he had complete disregard for anything. Bringing a loaded weapon into a club, not securing the weapon, not having it properly licensed, drinking while having a loaded weapon on his person, making up a name at the hospital, etc..

The punishment should be more about his behavior than anything else. Money may buy him out of jail time, but it'll never buy him out of stupid.

What is a thug? As far as I can tell, it is just another label that depersonalizes a human being. The label allows us to characterize and judge the person based on our preconceptions.

I am in favor of appropriate punishment for behavior. Just my opinion that prison should be the punishment of last resort, not the first.

What is a thug?

Come over to Chicago and explore the south and west sides and you will get your answer. I’m against the whole "Label" thing as well but sometimes it is warranted. I mean would you not call someone doing life in prison for murder a "criminal"?

Thug (thuhg) noun. A rough, Violent person.

My definition would be

Thug- A person who associates themselves around a life of crime, such as Gangbangers, and Drug dealers.

a few years ago, i drove from dallas to medford, ny. as usual, i had my sig in the cab with me. most states allow this under a proviso known as "peaceable journey". but because pf NYC's absurd gun laws, i was forced to stop in jersey and lock my pistol in the trunk of my car, rendering me defenseless had anything happened in the city.

the reason that i say that is this: had i (or any of you) committed this offense, we would be facing a mandatory prison sentence of IIRC 3.5 years. this is the nature of antigun people--they want to take guns from the "little people", but refuse to enforce the law against anyone with power or money. dianne feinstein wants to take your guns away, but she filed for and received a NYC handgun license so that she could legally carry within the city. rosie o'donnell does the same.

evidently, they feel that their lives more valuable than ours.

play stupid games, win stupid prizes. plax should go to prison.

a few years ago, i drove from dallas to medford, ny. as usual, i had my sig in the cab with me. most states allow this under a proviso known as "peaceable journey". but because pf NYC's absurd gun laws, i was forced to stop in jersey and lock my pistol in the trunk of my car, rendering me defenseless had anything happened in the city.

the reason that i say that is this: had i (or any of you) committed this offense, we would be facing a mandatory prison sentence of IIRC 3.5 years. this is the nature of antigun people--they want to take guns from the "little people", but refuse to enforce the law against anyone with power or money. dianne feinstein wants to take your guns away, but she filed for and received a NYC handgun license so that she could legally carry within the city. rosie o'donnell does the same.

guns don't kill people. stupid people kill people. the laws are in place not to protect us from gun owners, but stupid gun owners.

how inconvenient is it to get a license? c'mon, really. if you want something bad enough, you take the appropriate steps, follow the proper laws, and you get what you're looking for.

IT SHOULD NOT BE AN EASY PROCESS TO OBTAIN A GUN IN THE USA.

Maybe if you lifted some weights you would not need a gun to defense yourself. LMAO! Always the little guys trying to carry a gun so they can feel tough. Napoleon complex gun owners. :thumbsdown: