Sign in to follow this  
buffalobillsffl2003

AUTOMOBEEEL?

Republicans, breaking sharply with President George W. Bush as his term draws to a close, refused to back federal aid for Detroit's beleaguered Big Three without a guarantee that the United Auto Workers would agree by the end of next year to wage cuts to bring their pay into line with U.S. plants of Japanese carmakers. The UAW refused to do so before its current contract with the automakers expires in 2011. :thumbsup:

I hope they go under now

The UAW refused to do so before its current contract with the automakers expires in 2011. :overhead:

Good for the Repubs for standing up to the UAW. They are one of the main reasons the big three are in trouble.

Good for the Repubs for standing up to the UAW. They are one of the main reasons the big three are in trouble.

Gotta agree. If they do not address the actual problems, they are just wasting money.

I still can't believe these morons would give 750 billion to banks because they cried about all the fake money they are losing and won't give 25 billion to the industrial back bone of the nation. Whether directly or indirectly every single person here is affected by the auto industry.

We are going to be in for some very hard times.

I still can't believe these morons would give 750 billion to banks because they cried about all the fake money they are losing and won't give 25 billion to the industrial back bone of the nation. Whether directly or indirectly every single person here is affected by the auto industry.

The UAW is just waiting until next year when their Messiah is in office and bails their lazy asses out :overhead:

If they do not fix the problems, the money will be wasted. I agree that they did not do enough to make sure issues were fixed in the banking industry before giving money, but that does not mean it is ok to freely hand it out to Automakers.

I hope they go under now

Me too......refuse to take a hit on your overpaid salary and risk losing that salary altogether?? Focking retards.......god I hope they ALL lose their focking jobs... :thumbsdown:

Me too......refuse to take a hit on your overpaid salary and risk losing that salary altogether?? Focking retards.......god I hope they ALL lose their focking jobs... :thumbsdown:

The UAW agreed to comparable salary match. However, they would like to honor the contract that was signed. I find it hypocritical for people on this board to call them out when all they want to do is work under the contract that was signed. To blame the UAW when they have made numerous concessions including salary reduction and agreeing to lay people off is just silly. The days of the guy making $40 an hour pushing a broom are long over and have been for years.

The repercussions will range farther than a group of people losing their job. We are talking about whole cities dying. And not just in Michigan, but all over the country.

To say GM Ford and Chrysler need to change shows how little informed people are. All three have been going through major reconstruction since 05-06. They are in the middle of a plan to make them competitive again and have made great strides in making better cars while reducing cost. I believe they have succeeded and are on par with Toyota in terms of quality and affordability. They are still losing the public opinion battle, but I think/hope that will change in time.

I hated the bank bail out. I mean HATED it, but I would rather see some of that money go to our industrial base then city group just so they can send that money over to China and buy one of their state banks.

Maybe this LOAN failing was a good thing. So maybe GWB will use that stupid bailout money for the auto companies instead of the banks.

Disclaimer: I am not a member of the UAW or any Union. I had a chance to join the Union here at my place of employment and chose not to.

The UAW agreed to comparable salary match. However, they would like to honor the contract that was signed. I find it hypocritical for people on this board to call them out when all they want to do is work under the contract that was signed. To blame the UAW when they have made numerous concessions including salary reduction and agreeing to lay people off is just silly. The days of the guy making $40 an hour pushing a broom are long over and have been for years.

If they truly just want to work they need to immediately recognize that the domestic auto manufacturers are in serious peril, and as such their livelihood is VERy much on the line here. Concessions MUST transpire.

I am sorry that Phil down at the plant performing a repetitive task that a 15-year old could mirror thinks he is worth so much money. In this global economy you will either adapt or join the ranks of the buggy-whips, and if this isn't enough of a wake up call, maybe the destruction of the domestic auto maker needs to transpire to shake the sh!t out of people and get them to arrive at that "AHA!" experience....

:thumbsdown:

If they truly just want to work they need to immediately recognize that the domestic auto manufacturers are in serious peril, and as such their livelihood is VERy much on the line here. Concessions MUST transpire.

I am sorry that Phil down at the plant performing a repetitive task that a 15-year old could mirror thinks he is worth so much money. In this global economy you will either adapt or join the ranks of the buggy-whips, and if this isn't enough of a wake up call, maybe the destruction of the domestic auto maker needs to transpire to shake the sh!t out of people and get them to arrive at that "AHA!" experience....

:dunno:

Thanks for not bolding the part where I mentioned they have made major concessions and accepted huge layoffs. I guess if you did that it would have been hard to make your 15 year old joke.

I know you like to talk about how you saw this financial crises happening years before it happened. Well if these auto companies fail this country will be in for a world of hurt the likes we have never seen.

Thanks for not bolding the part where I mentioned they have made major concessions and accepted huge layoffs. I guess if you did that it would have been hard to make your 15 year old joke.

I know you like to talk about how you saw this financial crises happening years before it happened. Well if these auto companies fail this country will be in for a world of hurt the likes we have never seen.

You're trying to be funny here aren't you? You don't actually believe this stuff? :thumbsup:

Buggy whips brother.....natural destruction of inefficient market participants is a fundamental concept of capitalism. Others will rise in their place, to one day then be replaced by ever more efficient companies, streamlining product delivery.

Consider that the destruction of these companies will actually encourage the growth of companies focused on more efficient automobiles that is currently stymied by the auto lobby. The oil companies should be terrified by the notion of the demise of these three and use their insane profits of recent years to help out, but in true American form its only the immediate need that they want to be met, instead of the long-term health...

So how come we give $700 Billion to the banks no questions asked yet when the auto industry wants $14 Billion, there are all these hearings etc.? I'm not trying to argue if we should or shouldn't bail the auto industry out, it just seems that we handed over $700 Billion to the Financial institutions no questions asked, yet we are making the Auto industry jump through all these hoops for $14 billion.

So how come we give $700 Billion to the banks no questions asked yet when the auto industry wants $14 Billion, there are all these hearings etc.? I'm not trying to argue if we should or shouldn't bail the auto industry out, it just seems that we handed over $700 Billion to the Financial institutions no questions asked, yet we are making the Auto industry jump through all these hoops for $14 billion.

Most people opposed to the auto industry bailout were ALSO opposed to the financial sector bailout. Oh, and how has that financial sector bailout worked? Economy in full swing now?

THe banks and the financial system are a bit more important than the auto industry.

Buggy whips brother.....natural destruction of inefficient market participants is a fundamental concept of capitalism. Others will rise in their place, to one day then be replaced by ever more efficient companies, streamlining product delivery.

Consider that the destruction of these companies will actually encourage the growth of companies focused on more efficient automobiles that is currently stymied by the auto lobby. The oil companies should be terrified by the notion of the demise of these three and use their insane profits of recent years to help out, but in true American form its only the immediate need that they want to be met, instead of the long-term health...

Thank you for the economics 101 lecturer let me know when we live in a closed capitalistic society.

Both of the bailout ideas sucked.

But the banks were far more important to the economy here and around the world than the big 3 are.

And with their business models (even with the changes they have already made for the future) this is patching a hole knowing it will break again.

Thank you for the economics 101 lecturer let me know when we live in a closed capitalistic society.

relevance?

Both of the bailout ideas sucked.

But the banks were far more important to the economy here and around the world than the big 3 are.

And with their business models (even with the changes they have already made for the future) this is patching a hole knowing it will break again.

I agree both ideas sucked but if the big 3 go down I think the results will be catastrophic. I think the $700 Billion bailout was bullsh1t and most likely the auto bailout will be bullsh1t. It just seemed that we had no problem handing over $700 billion with no discussion, oversight, etc. yet they are making the auto industry jump through all these hoops for $14 billion. Maybe they should've made the banks do the same. Maybe the oil industry should bail out the auto industry. :lol:

I agree both ideas sucked but if the big 3 go down I think the results will be catastrophic. I think the $700 Billion bailout was bullsh1t and most likely the auto bailout will be bullsh1t. It just seemed that we had no problem handing over $700 billion with no discussion, oversight, etc. yet they are making the auto industry jump through all these hoops for $14 billion. Maybe they should've made the banks do the same. Maybe the oil industry should bail out the auto industry. :lol:

Le'ts quit talking about the "big three", uhmmkay. Ford isn't even part of the deal that got rejected yesterday. They're on record saying they've got enough cash go be solvent well in to 2010. They're not hurting at this point.

Most people opposed to the auto industry bailout were ALSO opposed to the financial sector bailout. Oh, and how has that financial sector bailout worked? Economy in full swing now?

I don't think you get what I'm saying, it just looks like you're trying to pick a fight. I was opposed to the $700 billion bailout. I believe the original proposal for the bailout was like 2 pages. 2 pages for $700 billion! I don't see any oversight and I don't see the $700 billion being used for what it was supposed to be used for. My question was how come we handed over $700 billion no questions asked yet with the auto industry it's a whole different story? Relax strike.

I don't think you get what I'm saying, it just looks like you're trying to pick a fight. I was opposed to the $700 billion bailout. I believe the original proposal for the bailout was like 2 pages. 2 pages for $700 billion! I don't see any oversight and I don't see the $700 billion being used for what it was supposed to be used for. My question was how come we handed over $700 billion no questions asked yet with the auto industry it's a whole different story? Relax strike.

Maybe its a good sign that the morons we voted for have learned from a terribly bad bailout the first time around and won't make the same mistakes again.

Maybe its a good sign that the morons we voted for have learned from a terribly bad bailout the first time around and won't make the same mistakes again.

I hope you're right but I'm still skeptical. I would like to think that the gov't learned their lesson but I can't help to think that their are ulterior motives here. Hopefully I'm wrong.

THe banks and the financial system are a bit more important than the auto industry.

To a degree. The million+ people affected might disagree slightly. The auto industry is without question one of the most important industries our country has. If that industry goes under, there will be massive job cuts in every business as the unemployed begin to cut back on everything from housing and healthcare to the sandwiches they buy at the local deli. The ripple effect of a million+ unemployed not having money to buy anything is frightening.

It’s sickening to watch our inept, ambivalent, bloated, big-ego, private jet flying congress with their life time benefits embarrass, intimidate, and interrogate the auto executives the way they did. They are not innocent, there is plenty of blame to go around. Maybe it’s time that they take ownership of the very bad policies that they have imposed that led to the crises in our credit markets and our manufacturing base.

Just heard on the radio that the White House has said that they will not let the automakers fail. There are dipping into the 700 billion. The head of the UAW said they will not have to make any concessions for this money. :shocking:

Talked to my retired uaw friends at the gym today. They are union guys through and through but even they called

this 2011 suggestion idiotic. all agreed they would go for an immediate pay cut as long as they keep the benefits and

said all it takes to change any of this is a vote.

The $700 billion was BEFORE the election. They are all safe for a few years now.

Just heard on the radio that the White House has said that they will not let the automakers fail. There are dipping into the 700 billion. The head of the UAW said they will not have to make any concessions for this money. :bandana:

:thumbsdown:

Fox newz just showed a poll that was done...

For bailing out automakers

public 38%

union households 44%

against auto bailout

public 58%

union households 52%

:bandana:

Fox newz just showed a poll that was done...

For bailing out automakers

public 38%

union households 44%

against auto bailout

public 58%

union households 52%

:bandana:

SHOULD be more like 90-10, 90-10. But there are a lot of idiots in this country so what are you going to do?

SHOULD be more like 90-10, 90-10. But there are a lot of idiots in this country so what are you going to do?

I agree, but that union households are against it was enough to post :bandana:

Does anyone have stats on how many foreign companies have plants here in the US? I'd like to see how many do and how it relates to how they are doing.

Just heard on the radio that the White House has said that they will not let the automakers fail. There are dipping into the 700 billion. The head of the UAW said they will not have to make any concessions for this money. :bandana:

At least we're not writing a new check.

hell yeah!

Finally a Union is going to be busted. It is about time. Next Labor, IBEW , and teamsters!

Don't these dumb focks in the UAW - realize they just killed themselves?

Let the UAW get busted and have the big 3 hire the workers back non union - an finally get things to work!

At least we're not writing a new check.

all that does is guarantee we'll write a new check in a year, in 2 years, in 3 years... once that money is there, uaw will never

take a concession, and once the gov't gives that money, they will feel obligated to continue doing so otherwise they'll look like

they just wasted it the 1st time around.

all that does is guarantee we'll write a new check in a year, in 2 years, in 3 years... once that money is there, uaw will never

take a concession, and once the gov't gives that money, they will feel obligated to continue doing so otherwise they'll look like

they just wasted it the 1st time around.

Why do people keep saying we'll write a new check in a couple of years? Try 3 months. GM alone is going through 4 BILLION a month. Add in Chrysler and they'll be done with this $14 Billion in 3 months.

It’s sickening to watch our inept, ambivalent, bloated, big-ego, private jet flying congress with their life time benefits embarrass, intimidate, and interrogate the auto executives the way they did.

First of all, let me say Congress is a joke, and should be disbanded.

But now, I disagree with your quote. The thing that pisses me off the most about all these bailouts is the treatment of executives.

Take the banks. The executives have the gall to take bonuses and pay dividends with tax money, then turn around and fire workers? How the fock do we stand for that?

And if I were in charge, the Big 3 wouldn't get a freaking nickel until their business strategy made sense. Step one: Break the union. Step two: Break the executives.

These focking CEO's are disgusting, and ought to be tarred and feathered.