Sign in to follow this  
ROCKET

Thomas Jones saying Favre sucks

Can you say implode. Only the NYJ could end a career this bad. :music_guitarred:

Sorry, don't have one. read it on ESPN's bottom line ticker. I'm sure it'll be out soon enough. :unsure: :music_guitarred:

The fans and the media gave Favre a free pass in GB. It is part of the reason he had to go.

Everybody will be shocked that Jones said it but everyone will know it is true.

A veteran Jets player, quoted anonymously by Newsday, described Favre as a "distant" teammate who, when at the Jets' practice facility, spent his down time away from teammates in an office specially designated for him.

"There was a lot of resentment in the room about him. He never socialized with us, never went to dinner with anyone," the player told Newsday.

I hate when people go on the record as anonymous but I guess this sort of sums up the season in New York.

Too bad he had to go and really screw up his legacy by leaving Green Bay. Should have stayed retired.

As posted in the other thread...its not just Jones saying it.

A far cry from the picture that was painted of how happy he was and everyone was and how his practical jokes were loosening things up huh?

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jet...0,7764382.story

"There was a lot of resentment in the room about him," a Jets player told Newsday yesterday. He requested anonymity because team owner Woody Johnson has stated publicly that Favre is welcome to return next season if he wants to. (Favre reportedly will take until the end of February to decide about returning.)

The 39-year-old quarterback is not as welcome with his teammates, according to this veteran. After the Jets traded for Favre Aug. 6, the sure Hall of Famer made no effort to ingratiate himself with the already assembled team, the veteran said. He said Favre spent most of his down time at the practice facility in an office specially designated for him near the equipment room, not with teammates in the locker room, even after the media departed.

"He never socialized with us, never went to dinner with anyone," the player said. Asked to describe Favre in a word, he said: "Distant."

According to the player - and he was backed by very supportive comments about Mangini from other Jets - very few in the room thought Mangini deserved to be fired, and that the acquisition of Favre and his subsequent "me-first" attitude hurt the Jets more than anything.

I bet Thomas Jones didn't mention at any point last year or since how he sucked azz in 2007 and helped lead the Jets to a measley 4 wins and 12 losses. Not saying Favre should get a pass just that Thomas Jones didn't mention his crap azz play. He suxored pretty bad in Arizona too and even in Chicago wasn't ever close to the level Favre has played in his career.

:thumbsdown:

Too bad he had to go and really screw up his legacy by leaving Green Bay. Should have stayed retired.

How did he screw up his legacy?

As I've always said, Fav-re, who is one Desmond Howard away from being just another washed up veteran, is the most self centered egotistical player to ever take the field. His good ole boy wrangler commercials get him a pass, if he was a brother he would be "TO'd". Fav-re is a cancer. I was glad when he signed with the Jets so I could watch him throw another season ending pick 6. I tuned into the Jets Dolphins game just so I could watch him do it, and sure enough was treated to a Fav-re doozy.

LOL at Fav-re!

As I've always said, Fav-re, who is one Desmond Howard away from being just another washed up veteran, is the most self centered egotistical player to ever take the field. His good ole boy wrangler commercials get him a pass, if he was a brother he would be "TO'd". Fav-re is a cancer. I was glad when he signed with the Jets so I could watch him throw another season ending pick 6. I tuned into the Jets Dolphins game just so I could watch him do it, and sure enough was treated to a Fav-re doozy.

LOL at Fav-re!

Farve = TO .... lmao

McWin = MO-FUKIN-RON

As I've always said, Fav-re, who is one Desmond Howard away from being just another washed up veteran,

What a dumbass saying. Is Tom Brady one Adam Vinitieri away from being just another quarterback?

What a dumbass saying. Is Tom Brady one Adam Vinitieri away from being just another quarterback?

No, he's 3 Adam Vinatieri's from being just another qb :thumbsdown: :first: :first:

I'm just saying that he should have retired with Green Bay. I like Brett Favre but one period of struggle under the New York spotlight and now he is being painted as selfish and distant from his teammates. It's just sad to see this happening to him even though he probably did bring a lot of it on himself.

I would have just liked to see him walk off the stage last season and avoided this kind of media backlash.

I'm just saying that he should have retired with Green Bay. I like Brett Favre but one period of struggle under the New York spotlight and now he is being painted as selfish and distant from his teammates. It's just sad to see this happening to him even though he probably did bring a lot of it on himself.

I would have just liked to see him walk off the stage last season and avoided this kind of media backlash.

We heard things like this coming out of GB for years but it was always hearsay. The press never pursued it so no one knew for sure, I guess now we do.

It's not necessary to ask Favre's teammates if he's self-loving; all you have to do is watch one of his retirement monologues. "Pride of the Yankees" won accolades for its recreation of Lou Gehrig's Yankee Stadium Farewell. "Pride of the Packers/Jets" should be even better, since it will feature 5-6 farewells.

Still, I want to make a couple of points in his defense. 1) Favre's Beverly Hillbilly persona at least has its charms, whereas a guy like TO is merely good for noisy rants about how he doesn't get the ball enough. 2) The price of success in any field is putting up with the envy and resentment of others. Teammate mutterings about star players are par for the course. 3) Favre dressed apart from the Green Bay locker room too. He was avoiding media mobs, not being a prima donna. He would draw media attention away from Thomas Jones if he occupied the locker next to Jones. 4) The Jets did go from 4-12 to 9-7, in part because Favre elevates the play of his teammates by giving it his all on the field.

I think the Jets should bring Favre back if he's willing and can report to training camp healthy. I'll bet they will. Between now and then, though, we will probably have to endure another Favre "retirement"--or at least some indecisive press conferences--because he hates minicamps, just like he hates playing in the Pro Bowl, and will not want to participate.

I look at Favre's last season with the Jets like I do Jordan's stint with the Washington Bullets. Dude just wanted to prove he could still play.

The Jets should just move on. This is a team with great potential. I'm wondering what kind of fit Cassel would be there under a coach with more brains than arrogance. Also, that O-line they have there is a golden goose. TJones is proof of that.

im sure ryan grant would love to take Jones place....

His good ole boy wrangler commercials get him a pass, if he was a brother he would be "TO'd".

Why does race have to be brought into every focking discussion. Sheesh. I guess it makes people feel better to use that type of analogy.

:rolleyes:

Why does race have to be brought into every focking discussion. Sheesh. I guess it makes people feel better to use that type of analogy.

:rolleyes:

Keeps everyone from seeing that they lack the thought process to form a real opinion, but still allows them to flap their traps endlessly as if they have something to say.

I think in terms of his fans seeing a side of Brett Favre's personality that's quite a bit less than positive. There were hints of it before now of course, but as a fan you can overlook quite a bit. Fans of other teams have called him a drama queen and a primadonna, but you could chalk that up to jealousy or player hating.

Had he retired after last season, I could have looked back with a much more favorable opinion of the man than I do now. I'm very jealous of those fans who's ability to ignore his shortcomings is infinite. I reached my threshold last summer. I don't know if I'm going to be able to look back on this era with quite as much fondness as I otherwise would have. Maybe a few years into retirement I'll be able to see Favre again as the lovable gunslinger who loved the game so much he'd play it for free.

I think that's where he really spoiled a lot of his legacy with his fans.

Farve is wishing he took that 20 million lifetime deal from the Pack to stay retired and went back to Mississipi.

Not a good way for it to end. Farve could not come back now even if he wanted to.

Maybe a few years into retirement I'll be able to see Favre again as the lovable gunslinger who loved the game so much he'd play it for free ... but didn't gobbling up $12M+ of cap space a year for the last half of his career

I think that's where he really spoiled a lot of his legacy with his fans.

Just kidding :rolleyes:

Obviously a great player in his day, but his off field stuff the past couple of years and this past one in particuar really leaves a bad taste. It's aways sad to see the greats at the end of their road - Jordan in Washington, Rice in Seattle, Favre in NY. I dont doubt that they just want to play but they seem to think they are the same player as they were in their prime and ego + delusion meet up.

Thomas Jones is just saying what I'm sure several on the team think. I doubt he woul go out on a limb ike that if it wasnt a widely felt sentiment.

Farve is wishing he took that 20 million lifetime deal from the Pack to stay retired and went back to Mississipi.

Not a good way for it to end. Farve could not come back now even if he wanted to.

I agree. If he even attempts talk of coming back next season I don't think the press is going to be so nice to him.

Brett is a ars and without a doubt the most overrated Qb in Nfl history.

More to come

McNabb & Kurt Warner are the 2 most overrated QB's in NFL history

Warner has a higher lifetime completion %, higher average per completion and a lifetime passer rating of 93.8 compared to a 85.4 for Farve.

Jones and Favre will be in the same huddle at the pro bowl.

Aaaawkward

To me, Favre was playing hurt, it affected his arm, and without any real mechanics, it exposed him to be a not very good QB at this juncture in his career.

At some point, a boxer's reflexes slow down. Same with a sprinter. At his age, his arm is eventually gonna give out. Some guys, like Bernard Hopkins and Jamie Moyer, get by on veteran savvy because they're technically sound and have that experience to get them thru.

With Favre, it's always been about his arm and his accuracy. He's been able to get away with alot of stuff because his throw could be a defender to the spot. Not happening anymore. The injury just made it seem much worse.

Jones was right, and Favre should have been benched. For being unable to throw as a QB should (and not sucking). However, what was their other alternative? Was it better than Favre at 70%?

That may be why Mangina got canned. There should have been another gameplan that didn't involve a heavy use of Favre and the verticle game.

Just speculation, I could be wrong.

Jones and Favre will be in the same huddle at the pro bowl.

Aaaawkward

If Favre has a bad wing, I highly doubt he'll make the trip, although he's never backed away from extra camera time and media spotlight, that prima donna.

See, the whole problem with being a hired-hand and not a teammate is that, when things go bad and you suck up teh place, there's no one there who feels that you're a friend and will stick up for you.

It's one thing to be Mr Packer and decide that you get special rules and your own office, but when he went to New york, his best bet would have been to build some repoire with teh players there so they didn't get teh impression that you were someone special or someone above them.

It's really no wonder that they are turning on him now.

My suspicion is that Favre downplayed his arm injury for fear of getting benched. He needs one to tie, and two to break, Marshall's record for consecutive starts, and I think he wants that one more than any other. Hopefully, he kept playing because he's competitive, not because he wanted to preserve his streak.

He won't be huddling with Jones at the Pro Bowl. Favre has always avoided playing in the Pro Bowl, and there's no way he'll show up for this one.

My suspicion is that Favre downplayed his arm injury for fear of getting benched. He needs one to tie, and two to break, Marshall's record for consecutive starts, and I think he wants that one more than any other. Hopefully, he kept playing because he's competitive, not because he wanted to preserve his streak.

He won't be huddling with Jones at the Pro Bowl. Favre has always avoided playing in the Pro Bowl, and there's no way he'll show up for this one.

According to Wikipedia Favre is 1 short at 269.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_consecut...arterback_(NFL)

Not sure he should have been benched because I have no idea who the back up in NY is/was, but i do think its about time someone called Favre out.

LOL at Fav-re!

You realize that they were winning that SB already when Howard ran it back right?

And that Favre had one hell of a game right?

I doubt he is even close to the most self centered player in the league actually.

And should I then say somehting like Brady is an Adam Vinatieri away from having 0 rings?

Good, that means Rivers will get his rightful spot. It was a complete joke Favre was voted in this season to begin with.

I still can't believe Mangini took the bullet for this season. Two winning records in three years and he gets the axe? How many teams in the NFL would LOVE to have those kinds of results right now? It wasn't Mangini's fault that Favre killed them down the stretch.