Sign in to follow this  
t.j

Dirty hits by Clark and Nakamura

I didn't care who won the Ravens/Steelers game, but that hit by Clark just digusted me. Edit: And so did the one by Nakamura.

I don't care what Phil Simms says, that is not a legal hit. That is unnecessary roughness all the way. Simms is an idiot, announcers will go along with anything that is ruled on the field and find a way to justify it.

We see it all the time. Guys get lead their helmet and they don't call it. That's why players will continue to spear opponents with no regard for player safety, because they might get fined but they almost surely aren't going to lose 15 yards and their coaches will be happy. In this case, McGahee fumbled because he was probably unconscious before he hit the ground. They call that correctly, they keep the ball and 15 yards, they have a chance. Instead Pitt gets it back with 2:30 left, game over, and who knows when McGahee will be ok.

Pull your heads out of your ass and un-staple your flags from your pockets, ref.

Clark's dirty hit ends Ravens season

Maybe you should look into synchronized swimming as a sport.

This IS football!

And it's a contact sport...PERIOD.

He led with his head all the way. His head was way out in front of his shoulder, and his body was almost parallel to the ground. That's not legal.

He led with his head all the way. His head was way out in front of his shoulder, and his body was almost parallel to the ground. That's not legal.

:dunno:

Whatever you gotta tell yourself Mr. Hochuli.

Maybe you should look into synchronized swimming as a sport.

This IS football!

And it's a contact sport...PERIOD.

You're right. Let's just encourage guys to knock their opponents senseless, then we can watch 6 hour games while they cart one guy after another off the field, and enjoy a playoff season of just whoever is left with their brains unscrambled. Who needs form tackles, it's all fun and games until one of the defenders destroys his own spine doing it. Player safety, who needs it!

Gotta completely disagree with tj on this one.

Unfortunate hit but one that was arguably legal and by no means dirty. Clark turned his body to lead with the shoulder. The fact that the helmets hit was due to the speed and angle of the impact.

Again, unfortunate yes but hardly cheap. Its football, a game of collisions, things like this happen sometimes.

And btw, Flacco's 3 picks and Ed Reed not showing up ended the Ravens season.

Actually, Flacco had only thrown 2 picks at the time when out-cold McGahee fumbled and ended their season.

I'm not going to stick around here and argue with Steelers fans all night. Enjoy your win. If it had happened to Willie Parker I would be on here posting the exact same thing. I loved all the hitting in this game, that's why I wanted to watch this one for sure. But there's clean hitting, borderline hitting, and flat out dirty/dangerous hitting, and this was the latter. No one wants injuries but in the case of these spearing hits the NFL doesn't do their due diligence to prevent it. I've played plenty of tackle football in my day and I love to take a big hit, there's nothing like the adrenaline rush and it's awesome to pop up in spite of the hit. But I am lucky that I have never gotten speared like McGahee just did, having to lie on the ground for 10 minutes and then get strapped into a stretcher.

Actually, Flacco had only thrown 2 picks at the time when out-cold McGahee fumbled and ended their season.

Well seeing as the hit didn't end the game, I stand by my statement, they did get the ball back ya know.

Sorry TJ, could you repeat that. I was busy preparing the Steelers Super Bowl Party.........

Sorry TJ, could you repeat that. I was busy preparing the Steelers Super Bowl Party.........

I'll sum it up for you Jack...it's was a bunch of :dunno: and a little bit more of :ninja: .

Oh and by the way, when Bart Scott laid out FWP, his helmet his Willie square in the head. It's called tackling. It's not dirty.

T.J., I think you're pretty much alone on this one. His head, being on top of his shoulders, will project further forward than his shoulders. The only way to prevent this is to stand straight up at the hit (a sure way to get injured yourself) or lean backwards in some sort of matrix move. Leaning forward into the hit is the way to go. There was no evidence from the hit that he was aiming for McGahee's helmet. Good non-call.

You're right. Let's just encourage guys to knock their opponents senseless, then we can watch 6 hour games while they cart one guy after another off the field, and enjoy a playoff season of just whoever is left with their brains unscrambled. Who needs form tackles, it's all fun and games until one of the defenders destroys his own spine doing it. Player safety, who needs it!

I smell fish; you mind changing your panty shield? I believe it's leaking.

:banana: :dunno: Here we go Steelers, here we go! :ninja: :banana:

The only 2 times a helmet to helmet hit is illegal hit is when it is against a defenseless WR, ie one that is yet to make a football move, or against the QB in the act of throwing the ball. All other times a helmet to helmet hit is legal. Learn the rules of the game.

We see it all the time. Guys get hit helmet to helmet and they don't call it on the field.

I think McGahee should get the helmet to helmet. McGahee lead with his head too.

Oh wait it's football.

Didn't see you crying with a new thread when Ben got speared with a helmet into his back AFTER he threw the ball. (Leonard I think).

Sorry, Troy already iced the game the series before. Nice try on trying to explain away the Steeler win.

1. The game was already over at that point.

2. The hit was not dirty. Brutal, but not dirty.

HTH!

I am with TJ on this one. I realize that it was not an illegal hit due to the technicality of the rule, but it sure looked dirty. Even on the replay you can see the helmets hit each other. The part that I find amusing is that they call it a catch and fumble, but yet Santonio's catch and dive into the end zone was an incomplete pass. :dunno: Bottom line is the NFL has gotten way too technical with their calls/ non calls.

1. The game was already over at that point.

2. The hit was not dirty. Brutal, but not dirty.

HTH!

Great summary :dunno:

I am with TJ on this one. I realize that it was not an illegal hit due to the technicality of the rule, but it sure looked dirty. Even on the replay you can see the helmets hit each other. The part that I find amusing is that they call it a catch and fumble, but yet Santonio's catch and dive into the end zone was an incomplete pass. :dunno: Bottom line is the NFL has gotten way too technical with their calls/ non calls.

It's only "technical" when fans try to reach for an explanation as to why the team they wanted to win or to lose didn't.

And why is it that only defensive player is responsible for the helmet to helmet contact in your little scenario?

It's only "technical" when fans try to reach for an explanation as to why the team they wanted to win or to lose didn't.

And why is it that only defensive player is responsible for the helmet to helmet contact in your little scenario?

Exactly, I mean McGahee was not defenseless he had his head down ready to run over Clark....

I am not a Ravens fan or a Steelers fan and I don't think that anyone is trying to say that the Ravens would have won if that was called a penalty. Well... normally you wouldn't get a helmet to helmet hit that is initiated by the offensive player since they are NOT trying to tackle anyone :dunno: Also the rule is very technical. It's only illegal when it happens to a QB or a WR that is defenseless and hasn't made a football move? How is that not technical? Get off it Steeler fans, be happy that your team won and stop getting so f'ing defensive because a few people think the hit that put a player on a stretcher might have been dirty.

Exactly, I mean McGahee was not defenseless he had his head down ready to run over Clark....

As opposed to........?

As opposed to........?

Well the entire preface of this post is Clark's hit was dirty, as if McGahee was in the process of catching or throwing.

McGahee was looking to run Clark over, it was a mutual hit.

Well the entire preface of this post is Clark's hit was dirty, as if McGahee was in the process of catching or throwing.

McGahee was looking to run Clark over, it was a mutual hit.

Well I guess I agree if you mean that they both ran into each other? However I am not sure that McGahee was trying to tackle Clark. He caught the ball turned around, took 2 steps, braced for a hit just like every other player and smoked in his dome. Ask yourself something... If that was Ray Lewis hitting Willie Parker, how would you feel? Just a hunch, but I bet you would have saw the play a little differently without the homer blinders on.

Well I guess I agree if you mean that they both ran into each other? However I am not sure that McGahee was trying to tackle Clark. He caught the ball turned around, took 2 steps, braced for a hit just like every other player and smoked in his dome. Ask yourself something... If that was Ray Lewis hitting Willie Parker, how would you feel? Just a hunch, but I bet you would have saw the play a little differently without the homer blinders on.

I don't know, Ray Ray broke Mendenhall's shoulder, I am sure Ray Ray lead with his head on that play too.

Read again, I said the hit was mutual.

Guess you've never seen a RB or WR lower his head when about to make contact with a defender uh?

:rolleyes :

Some people are just determined to be wrong.

Guess you've never seen a RB or WR lower his head when about to make contact with a defender uh?

:rolleyes :

Some people are just determined to be wrong.

Sure they lower their head, because that is what they are trained to do. What else are they supposed to do? Stand straight up and open themselves up for a huge hit and possible injury. I find it hilarious that you homers will continue to put blame on McGahee when he was the one that was taking the hit. It is pretty obvious which player was trying to make a big hit... like I said if you watched the replay without the homer shades on you would probably see that differently and not be so ridiculously defensive.

Once again, I never said that the hit was illegal, just said that it probably should be. All the rules are becoming so technical and I am not sure how that is helping anyone.

I don't know, Ray Ray broke Mendenhall's shoulder, I am sure Ray Ray lead with his head on that play too.

Read again, I said the hit was mutual.

I don't remember that hit, but if you provide a link to that hit I would be more than happy to give my impartial unbias opinion.

I did read it and it sounds like a Steeler fan justifying a borderline dirty hit from a player that is becoming known for big hits.

legal hit, you even saw him coil the shoulder, he can't help it if Willis lowers his head at the same time.

Ummm, I don't know if anyone was "putting the blame" on McGahee as much as they were saying the two guys were playing this little game we like to call football. It's a contact sport. Contact means that players get hit. Most times it's mutual, meaning two guys running in opposite directions run into each other it happens.

It is a rather ridiculous double standard you're imposing on the defensive player though. It's ok for the offensive to lower his head (read helmet) because that's only natural and that's what they're trained to do...BUT... the defensive player better not do that or we'll (read two or three people with an agenda or just a lack of knowledge or liking of the game) will cry about it as unfair and dirty.

Looks like you tube already has the video... Unbias eye can't tell me that it wasn't helmet to helmet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQlmBHY-ALY

Also, McGahee obviously braced himself for a hit.

I hope you realize your own words belie your argument.

First, "unbias"???? C'mon man!

Second, IF McGahee was bracing himself for the hit, would that not be a "football move" and would that not mean that it was catch and a fumble and that by being able to make that football move of bracing himself for the contact that he had some part in said contact?

Hmmmmmmm.

I hope you realize your own words belie your argument.

First, "unbias"???? C'mon man!

Second, IF McGahee was bracing himself for the hit, would that not be a "football move" and would that not mean that it was catch and a fumble and that by being able to make that football move of bracing himself for the contact that he had some part in said contact?

Hmmmmmmm.

Did you watch the video? Once again why would I be bias, I live in Miami and I am a Lions fan... What the hell am I bias of? Also I compared it to the Santonio catch and was wondering why one was an incomplete pass and the other was a catch and fumble. Never once said that it was not a catch and fumble. If what McGahee did was a football move, then so did Santonio. Meaning that the Santonio catch should have counted and should have been a TD. I would think that you would agree with me on that point, but I guess that your blind agenda has you confused. Watch the video! If you can't see what really happened, then I don't know what to tell ya.

Did you watch the video? Once again why would I be bias, I live in Miami and I am a Lions fan... What the hell am I bias of? Also I compared it to the Santonio catch and was wondering why one was an incomplete pass and the other was a catch and fumble. Never once said that it was not a catch and fumble. If what McGahee did was a football move, then so did Santonio. Meaning that the Santonio catch should have counted and should have been a TD. I would think that you would agree with me on that point, but I guess that your blind agenda has you confused. Watch the video! If you can't see what really happened, then I don't know what to tell ya.

If the rules must be explained to you then they must, but no one can help it if you don't already know them.

Holmes: Holmes "caught" the ball in the air while in engaged with a defender. That contact meant that he had to come down with control of the ball and make a football move before he lost control. He did not therefore it was an incomplete pass.

McGahee: McGahee caught the ball while in open space (no defender contact) and then made a step (a football move) before he was hit by the defender and lost control of the ball.

It's really not that hard to grasp...for most.

Absent any "blind agenda" it's pretty cut and dry rulebook stuff. I knew Holmes' catch was no TD just as I knew McGahee's was a catch and fumble. But then, I'm objective and don't fall pray to seeing what I want to see, one way or the other.

By the way, I'm out.

Had enough of :wall: .

Enjoy being wrong on this matter!

I'm sure you've become quite used to that situation in life.

:music_guitarred: