Sign in to follow this  
Recliner Pilot

If massive spending will turn the economy around...

...how did we get in this mess? People around here have been saying we have spent waaaay too much over the past 8 years (I am one of them), but this begs the question:

If massive spending got us in this mess how the fukk is the most massive spending bill in the history of the world gonna turn it all around? Especially when the bill is over 90% speniding and less than 10% stimulus. And that measley 10% is phased in over several years.

I would love the Obamunists to explain how this is a good thing.

We could explain this to you but we can't comprehend it for you. :doublethumbsup:

Economists say this thing is a turd, but you keep believin' just cuz your Messiah is pushing it.

Economists say this thing is a turd, but you keep believin' just cuz your Messiah is pushing it.

Just pulling your chain. I don't even pretend to understand economics.

In that case, I'm suprised Obama didn't nominate you for Commerce Sec.

:unsure:

:doublethumbsup:

Do you ever chill out and not think about Obama. :P

It's a valid point. We borrowed and spent for eight years and the prescription to get out is we're going to have to borrow and spend some more, only this time on different priorities.

I don't know what to say.

I think I'm going to keep my money in the market for about six months then take it out. The party should be over by about then and hopefuly I can make a few bucks before it tanks.

It's a valid point. We borrowed and spent for eight years and the prescription to get out is we're going to have to borrow and spend some more, only this time on different priorities.

Time will tell. :mellow:

...how did we get in this mess? People around here have been saying we have spent waaaay too much over the past 8 years (I am one of them), but this begs the question:

If massive spending got us in this mess how the fukk is the most massive spending bill in the history of the world gonna turn it all around? Especially when the bill is over 90% speniding and less than 10% stimulus. And that measley 10% is phased in over several years.

I would love the Obamunists to explain how this is a good thing.

we gonna spend it on us, not wars

hth

Do you ever chill out and not think about Obama. :doublethumbsup:

Recliner Pilot is so far to the right, he hopes Rush Limbaugh's policies fail.

Do you ever chill out and not think about Obama. :doublethumbsup:

The dude's obsessed. Pathetic, huh?

we gonna spend it on us, not wars

hth

Wars are actually VERY profitable and great for the economy.

Yep...especially for coffin salesman and funeral homes.

You got in trouble through people getting in credit trouble and what government is saying now is basically: here's some money but please don't spend it on alleviating your debt; spend it on making your debt larger by buying more shiot you don't need cause if you don't the economy will tank.

And people think this system is sustainable.

with the exception of the gingrich reign, we've been pretty much on a spending spree for 50+ years. nothing new

A few lame swipes at me and GWB. :doublethumbsup:

Yet not a single resident Demwit can explain how this massive spending turd is gonna turn the economy around. I don't know why I would expect the idiots who infest this bored to explain it since Uncle Harry, The Messiah, and The Moonbat can't explain it.

We spent way too much the last 8 years. Most of us agree on that. The difference now is:

1) We are not in an economic expansion

2) We cannot rely on the consumer to spend us out of this recession, as we could in 2000, our last recession. That recession was confined to the business sector.

A basic conception:

Government spends $x billion to build roads and bridges that are nearly falling down. These weren't going to be worked on before. As a result, state Depts of Transportation place the work out for bid. Companies that win these large jobs must now add workers to do the work, or at least not fire more workers than they already have. All the lumber, concrete, etc. suppliers supply the materials. Those companies increase employment. The stimulus spreads its way through the economy at payroll companies, and other companies that support the ones doing the actual work. Those workers go out and spend LESS THAN 100% hopefully - they don't have to spend it all, and shouldn't. This spending provides additional stimulus to restaurants and retail, etc. The government must replace, and stimulate, this MARKET FAILURE.

Now I don't suggest that all $800 billion will provide immediate job growth and stimulus. There is plenty to dislike in this package to date. But supply siders that whine about lowering taxes will tell you that it takes some time for "trickle down" to work its way through the economy to lift all boats as well.

I agree with what Greedo posted above.

I would also add that the notion that this 800 billion injection can compensate for the 10-12 trillion in loses is a bit silly.

The unjustified bubble has to work itself out, and that is all we are seeing at this point. The government should be protecting the consumer and trying to find ways to free them from 30 years of corporate rape and credit-anal. If they can do this our chances for recovery are enhanced, as are the long-term growth and resurgence of our economy.

Right now their approach is simply placing us further in harms way....

How are wars profitable?

How are wars profitable?

It's kinda like a stimulus package for infrastructure. The Gov't pays special interest groups to build all those tanks, airplanes, all other stuff for wars. That trickles down to the supply companies for steel and bolts and stuff, and then it trickles down to you and me. Didn't you read Geedo's post? Just like the stimulus is gonna do.

It's kinda like a stimulus package for infrastructure. The Gov't pays special interest groups to build all those tanks, airplanes, all other stuff for wars. That trickles down to the supply companies for steel and bolts and stuff, and then it trickles down to you and me. Didn't you read Geedo's post? Just like the stimulus is gonna do.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic here or not?

Broken window fallacy.

Although infrastructure spending is a little different than war spending as you at least end up with productive assets at the end of the day.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic here or not?

Broken window fallacy.

Infrastructure spending is a different than war spending as you at least end up with productive assets at the end of the day.

I was being sarcastic...well kinda. :first:

Sure it's not JUST like infrastructure spending. However just because you don't have productive assets in the end, (even though it could be argued that weapons are an asset) it still creates jobs, uses supply comapanies, ect. that should still trickle down just like is being told with the stimulus.

:lol:

I was being sarcastic...well kinda. :first:

Sure it's not JUST like infrastructure spending. However just because you don't have productive assets in the end, (even though it could be argued that weapons are an asset) it still creates jobs, uses supply comapanies, ect. that should still trickle down just like is being told with the stimulus.

:lol:

They can be assets...ask Ollie North! ;)

Also, as long as we're discussing dumbass fiscal policies; why the fock, in the wake of a credit crash largely caused by people 'buying' houses they had no business buying at inflated prices, do we feel the need to offer tax credits to incentivize people to buy houses they have no business buying and again start overinflating the prices? I want to punch someone in the face over this.

Although infrastructure spending is a little different than war spending as you at least end up with productive assets at the end of the day.

$400 million + for STDs.......and the "asset" at the end of that is??????????

$400 million + for STDs.......and the "asset" at the end of that is??????????

I wouldn't categorize that as "infrastructure spending".

I wouldn't categorize that as "infrastructure spending".

There's the rub. Less than 10% of this turd is infrastructure spending. The rest is pork the Demwits are paying off their cronies with.

How are wars profitable?

Every item purchased for war is typically consumed. Ammo is used, guns are used and broken/replaced, tanks are destroyed, hummers are destroyed, parts for all of these items are consumed, missiles, etc.

There's ALOT of money being spent, and you can't 'keep' this stuff like say, a TV.

Lets take a look at the Current Stimulus courtesey of the WSJ:

Highlights of Economic Recovery Plan Spending

Energy

$32 billion Funding for "smart electricity grid" to reduce waste

$20 billion + Renewable energy tax cuts and a tax credit for research and development on energy-related work, and a multiyear extension of renewable energy production tax credit

$6 billion Funding to weatherize modest-income homes

Science and Technology

$10 billion Science facilities

$6 billion High-speed Internet access for rural and underserved areas

Infrastructure

$32 billion Transportation projects

$31 billion Construction and repair of federal buildings and other public infrastructure

$19 billion Water projects

$10 billion Rail and mass transit projects

Education

$41 billion Grants to local school districts

$79 billion State fiscal relief to prevent cuts in state aid

$21 billion School modernization

Health Care

$39 billion Subsidies to health insurance for unemployed; providing coverage through Medicaid

$90 billion Help to states with Medicaid

$20 billion Modernization of health-information technology systems

$4 billion Preventative care

Taxes

Individuals:

$500 per worker, $1,000 per couple tax cut for two years, costing about $140 billionGreater access to the $1,000-per-child tax credit for the working poorExpansion of the earned-income tax credit to include families with three childrenA $2,500 college tuition tax creditRepeal of a requirement that a $7,500 first-time homebuyer tax credit be paid back over timeBusinesses:

An infusion of cash into money-losing companies by allowing them to claim tax credits on past profits dating back five years instead of twoBonus depreciation for businesses investing in new plants and equipmentDoubling of the amount small businesses can write off for capital investments and new equipment purchasesAllowing businesses to claim a tax credit for hiring disconnected youth and veteransSource: Associated Press

There's the rub. Less than 10% of this turd is infrastructure spending. The rest is pork the Demwits are paying off their cronies with.

I haven't looked very closely at it because it makes me want to puke, but I don't doubt that at all, other than the idea that it's just the Dems who are lining up at the trough.

Every item purchased for war is typically consumed. Ammo is used, guns are used and broken/replaced, tanks are destroyed, hummers are destroyed, parts for all of these items are consumed, missiles, etc.

There's ALOT of money being spent, and you can't 'keep' this stuff like say, a TV.

But saying something is "profitable" implies that there is a net benefit at the end. Yes, there is a lot of money being spent, and certainly it's profitable to certain entities, but is it profitable in aggregate? Yeah the economy was humming in WWII, but it was financed through tax increases and war bonds that eventually had to be paid back, with interest, by the American government to Americans citizens that had purchased them in the first place.

But at least we financed that spending. I talked about the broken window fallacy before, but even it doesn't really apply here, as it assumes that there is a finite amount of spending and the money being spent to fix the window would have been spent elsewhere. That's not the case now though. We spend money we don't have and apparently don't give a fock that we're never going to have it.